Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Superman the one superhero Ennis really likes?

Claims to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Superman the one superhero Ennis really likes?

Based on that one issue of Hitman, Ennis at the very least respects the concept of Superman as an expression of American ideals.

Squizzle posted:

A lot of British writers seem to adore Superman.

If I'm remembering right, Alan Moore decided at an early age to replace organized religion with Superman.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's very possible to like *a* character while not generally liking the industry being dominated by hundreds of variants of them, no?

Anyway, changing tack:

Skwirl posted:

Half of BSS couldn't understand why it'd be a problem to call the black Spider-Man "Spider-Boy" and they're more progressive than most about minority representation in comics, so that's not surprising at all.
Wanna see some evidence of this because I really don't buy it. I don't even remember seeing more than a couple of idiots saying this, let alone "half of BSS". That's some disingenuous horseshit right there, Skwirl.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Wanna see some evidence of this because I really don't buy it. I don't even remember seeing more than a couple of idiots saying this, let alone "half of BSS". That's some disingenuous horseshit right there, Skwirl.

He meant by weight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

It's very possible to like *a* character while not generally liking the industry being dominated by hundreds of variants of them, no?

yeah I can't really blame a guy for being pissed that one single genre still has such a stranglehold on the market to the extent that pretty much anyone who wants to make a living in comics has to write for that genre at some point to pay the bills.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah I can't really blame a guy for being pissed that one single genre still has such a stranglehold on the market to the extent that pretty much anyone who wants to make a living in comics has to write for that genre at some point to pay the bills.

I don't mind that he doesn't like superhero comics, I just wish he'd stop writing about it. I think everyone got the point the first time he made Punisher murder every single superhero and supervillain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't mind that he doesn't like superhero comics, I just wish he'd stop writing about it. I think everyone got the point the first time he made Punisher murder every single superhero and supervillain.

like I said, he probably had to write these superhero comics to pay the bills. deliberately taking the piss at least requires more effort than completely half-assing it like, say, David Lapham.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If he actually had something to say other than calling all superheroes faggots it might not be so dull to read. Alan Moore made a whole comic about superheroes being bad, it was pretty good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If he actually had something to say other than calling all superheroes faggots

I uh think this is a little presumptuous

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If he actually had something to say other than calling all superheroes faggots it might not be so dull to read. Alan Moore made a whole comic about superheroes being bad, it was pretty good.

Wanted: adolescent fantasies will not improve your life, and pushing extremes simply to push extremes will not make you happy.
Kick-rear end: Looking for excuses to hurt others because you hate yourself will not improve society, nor make you happy.
KIngsmen: class based societies are very harmful to those trapped within them, but rather than wallowing in your own misery, you ought to at bare minimum work to take care of the people around you
American Jesus: beware of any religion that claims it can solve all your problems with a wave of a hand, because actual acceptance and salvation can only be achieved through a personal relationship with God, not miracles and ostentatious clap-trap
Superior: Ditto

It fair enough not to like his writing, but to claim he's not trying to say something in his books is really giving them a shallow read...

edit: his work reminds me a lot of Graham Greene's Catholic novels (Brighton Rock, The Heart of the Matter, etc.), and Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange. You aren't supposed to enjoy Pinkie Brown or Alex being thugs and seriously harming others, and Scobie agonizing over his affair, and whether to commit suicide are supposed to cause pause in the reader and make them reflect on their own life and choices. That Millar himself is a deeply committed Catholic is surely no coincidence.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 8, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

We were talking about Ennis there, not Millar.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Did sometime just use wanted as an example of a good comic book?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Millar hates superheroes, I think he hates people who read his comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Did sometime just use wanted as an example of a good comic book?

I think he used it as an example of a story that wasn't about how superheroes are faggots.

Which is kind of a weird example, because I'm pretty sure there's some parts where superheroes have gay sex or rape or something.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I think he used it as an example of a story that wasn't about how superheroes are faggots.

Which is kind of a weird example, because I'm pretty sure there's some parts where superheroes have gay sex or rape or something.

Wanted is a story about how superheroes and fantasies won't make you happy, especially those comics published after 1986, and how pretending to be those characters will gently caress you up a great deal. It is about how the industry, post-Watchmen and DKR, turned on the superheroes of the Christopher Reeve-era Superman and Adam West-Batman and went nasty. (Neither the Reeve nor West analogue are treated poorly by the narrative, they are treated poorly by the characters in the narrative. We the audience are supposed to experience shock and horror at what happens/has happened to them).

It was aimed as a very specific audience, and unfortunately failed to cause the self-reflection and doubt it was supposed to among that group.

It is also a nasty, gory, cynical book full of stuff I'd never show my mother.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Millar hates superheroes, I think he hates people who read his comics.
I also hate people who read his comics so...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

NorgLyle posted:

Rude. <:(>

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

NorgLyle posted:

:colbert: I know Red Son ends up reactionary garbage but it is the closest thing I think we'll ever get to a big two communist hero (other than Colossus occasionally calling other X-Men 'Tovarisch').

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Liberal Idiot posted:

If I'm remembering right, Alan Moore decided at an early age to replace organized religion with Superman.

I did the same thing, but I was 29.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sentinel Red posted:

The Authority are not good guys. They're bastards who take out even worse bastards planning on doing really heinous poo poo. It's ends justify the means, ruthless calculus, it's the Punisher on a supergroup level, you're generally not supposed to admire the way they go about things (though housing tens of thousands of refugees on the Carrier and calling out the G7 on their ineffectual poo poo was admittedly a nice touch).

Also, Millar does not think Superman is bullshit, you couldn't be more wrong there if you tried.

I honestly don't mind the premise of The Authority and I thought it was well executed in the first volume (even though it does end up reeking of reactionary paramilitarism a lil' bit). I don't know anything about Millar specifically either, I just know that he took a book that treated its heinous villains as actual characters and turned them into literal baby killers who shout 'COMIC BOOKS ARE FOR RETARDS' at the reader. It's not funny enough to be irreverent black humour, and it's not clever enough to subvert the sense of being something I would've loving loved when I was 14 and a fascist (even if there's a hint of something behind the curtain when Midnighter calls out Baby Killer Man on being a drone without an identity). It's just hard to believe there's any stakes involved when the shark is immediately jumped and then used to murder a baby and it feels like lazy writing. Good villains are hard to write and there's a lot of shortcuts taken. I was way more invested in seeing The Authority beat up the baddies from the first volume.

I mean I'm also like 40 pages in so maybe this was all set up and don't take my word for any of it, I'm not an expert. It was just weird to go from Ellis to Millar.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Foul Fowl posted:

I honestly don't mind the premise of The Authority and I thought it was well executed in the first volume (even though it does end up reeking of reactionary paramilitarism a lil' bit). I don't know anything about Millar specifically either, I just know that he took a book that treated its heinous villains as actual characters and turned them into literal baby killers who shout 'COMIC BOOKS ARE FOR RETARDS' at the reader. It's not funny enough to be irreverent black humour, and it's not clever enough to subvert the sense of being something I would've loving loved when I was 14 and a fascist (even if there's a hint of something behind the curtain when Midnighter calls out Baby Killer Man on being a drone without an identity). It's just hard to believe there's any stakes involved when the shark is immediately jumped and then used to murder a baby and it feels like lazy writing. Good villains are hard to write and there's a lot of shortcuts taken. I was way more invested in seeing The Authority beat up the baddies from the first volume.

I mean I'm also like 40 pages in so maybe this was all set up and don't take my word for any of it, I'm not an expert. It was just weird to go from Ellis to Millar.
You might be interested to go back and read Ellis' Stormwatch which sets up his Authority run, and you get more Ellis-penned Jenny, Midnighter, et al.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

redbackground posted:

You might be interested to go back and read Ellis' Stormwatch which sets up his Authority run, and you get more Ellis-penned Jenny, Midnighter, et al.

Seconding Ellis' Stormwatch. When you read that, it's clear that Ellis' The Authority is the final act of that rather than the first act of itself, if that makes sense.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Sentinel Red posted:

The Authority are not good guys. They're bastards who take out even worse bastards planning on doing really heinous poo poo. It's ends justify the means, ruthless calculus, it's the Punisher on a supergroup level, you're generally not supposed to admire the way they go about things (though housing tens of thousands of refugees on the Carrier and calling out the G7 on their ineffectual poo poo was admittedly a nice touch).
If we're talking solely about Ellis's twelve issues, I think the whole "the Authority are not good guys" thing is him reframing his original run. In the actual twelve issues he wrote, a team rose from the ashes of a corrupt and ineffective government agency, and their three primary antagonists were:

1) A literal Yellow Menace dictator who created millions of mindless suicide bombers and wanted to scar the planet, killing hundreds of millions out of ego.
2) Colonizers from another dimension who wanted to (literally) rape and pillage the entire population of Earth.
3) An angry "God" who wanted to exterminate humanity.

These were all existential embodiments of evil, and the worst you can say about the Authority's actions through the run is that "well, they were pretty cavalier about collateral damage and seemed to enjoy hurting their cartoonishly evil enemies". They were pretty much straight heroes, the only time they were questioned in any way was one member having a brief moment of doubt if they had "the Authority" and then the main protagonist/hero quickly confirmed that yes, they were heroes. It's not like there isn't plenty of "Hard Men Making Hard Decisions for a Weak and Cowering Society, Admire Their Work" isn't a throughline of a whole lot of Ellis's work.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

The Authority(...)feels like lazy writing.

Millar in a nutshell.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

redbackground posted:

I will check it out as soon as I'm finished reading all of the stuff I've bought over Christmas! I did pick up Transmetropolitan by Ellis too, so I'll give that a look as well.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Foul Fowl posted:

I will check it out as soon as I'm finished reading all of the stuff I've bought over Christmas! I did pick up Transmetropolitan by Ellis too, so I'll give that a look as well.

Transmetro is hands down my favorite Ellis thing I've read.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Norns posted:

Transmetro is hands down my favorite Ellis thing I've read.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Huh. Do you know, I always didn't like Transmet's ending, but I just went back and re-read it and something new occurred to me.

I always thought it was a supreme dick move for Spider to not tell Channon or Yelena that he wasn't actually sick, but... there's no proof at all that he's lying to them, is there? The only person who gets told Spider's degenerative and can't ever come back is Royce, and I totally get why he'd be lied to and why the girls would help perpetuate that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One Percent!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Journey into Misery - British man explains to his girlfriend various complex comics characters and concepts. Yes, even Hawkman.

Late on this, but this is a good podcast and the two people involved are the absolute sweetest folks.

Two years ago, I met Kieran as part of a 3-day indie wrestling show King of Trios, which was the reasoning for his first trip to America. Then a year later, Helena came with him for Trios, also her first trip to America.

Hanging out with people on their first trip to the US is itself a trip. Like going to the mall so they can try Chipotle and then hearing, "We have to go into that Hot Topic. We need to know what that actually is."

CapnAndy posted:

Huh. Do you know, I always didn't like Transmet's ending, but I just went back and re-read it and something new occurred to me.

I always thought it was a supreme dick move for Spider to not tell Channon or Yelena that he wasn't actually sick, but... there's no proof at all that he's lying to them, is there? The only person who gets told Spider's degenerative and can't ever come back is Royce, and I totally get why he'd be lied to and why the girls would help perpetuate that.
It appears that Yelena has a baby bump, so I'm pretty sure she's in the know.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Is Hickman's Manhattan Projects prior the Sun Beyond the Stars relaunch a self contained story? I think I heard that SBtS continues some plots, but I really would hate to start reading the main book and get to the end only to have no resolution to anything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are several plots left open at the end. One of which is the subject of Sun Beyond the Stars and is resolved.
I guess we're expecting more miniseries to do the rest, but SBTS took a year to get four issues out, so you'll have to be pretty patient.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Late on this, but this is a good podcast and the two people involved are the absolute sweetest folks.

Two years ago, I met Kieran as part of a 3-day indie wrestling show King of Trios, which was the reasoning for his first trip to America. Then a year later, Helena came with him for Trios, also her first trip to America.

Hanging out with people on their first trip to the US is itself a trip. Like going to the mall so they can try Chipotle and then hearing, "We have to go into that Hot Topic. We need to know what that actually is."

It appears that Yelena has a baby bump, so I'm pretty sure she's in the know.

I'm guiding somebody through their first real AMERIKKKKKA trip shortly, and it's gonna rule.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm guiding somebody through their first real AMERIKKKKKA trip shortly, and it's gonna rule.

Speaking as a waiter, make sure you explain to them in no uncertain terms that tipping isn't loving optional, and should be at a bare minimum 15%, 18-20 is more standard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If tipping isn't optional why isn't it just included in the price and paid in regular wages and :can:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Speaking as a waiter, make sure you explain to them in no uncertain terms that tipping isn't loving optional, and should be at a bare minimum 15%, 18-20 is more standard.

So lie?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I mean, if you're a terrible human being that's a lie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seriously though, Americans don't tip 18-20 as a standard. Your customers must think you're attractive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Seriously though, Americans don't tip 18-20 as a standard. Your customers must think you're attractive.

I tip 15% if the service is great. Having spent 10 years in the service industry, far too many servers think they deserve a tip for showing up at the table to take and order and to bring it to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

I tip 15% if the service is great. Having spent 10 years in the service industry, far too many servers think they deserve a tip for showing up at the table to take and order and to bring it to the table.

They do

• Locked thread