Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

CapnAndy posted:

On a slightly less depressing topic than dying pets:

Fight Club 2 was utter garbage from start to finish. Just wanted to put that out there.

There was some parts I liked, like Chuck making fun of the people who are way to into fight club 1. But it is overall garbage and I assumed it was selling like garbage and people were hating it. I was like the only person buying it at my shop but at my friends shop like 4 blocks away they claimed they couldn't keep it on the shelf so gently caress if I know. And people online seem to like it everywhere but here.

I kinda hated this comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I used to count my cat's age by when an episode of Pokemon anime aired here but I no longer remember when that was

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

On a slightly less depressing topic than dying pets:

Fight Club 2 was utter garbage from start to finish. Just wanted to put that out there.

We sold 150 copies of #1. About 80 copies of #2. #3 plummeted to 30 copies sold. #10 sold 6 copies so far.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

We sold 150 copies of #1. About 80 copies of #2. #3 plummeted to 30 copies sold. #10 sold 6 copies so far.

How'd BP sell today?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

How'd BP sell today?

Really well. The head of African studies at the in town university came in and bought one of each of the variants I had and 15 copies of the standard cover to give out to his TAs and best students. I tried to sell him all standard covers but he insisted on the variants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Really well. The head of African studies at the in town university came in and bought one of each of the variants I had and 15 copies of the standard cover to give out to his TAs and best students. I tried to sell him all standard covers but he insisted on the variants.

Yeah, I think a lot of people who have never read a comic are gonna grab this book and I think it's great. I'd be super interested to see what an African studies prof thought of it, especially if he's well familiar with previous runs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people who have never read a comic are gonna grab this book and I think it's great. I'd be super interested to see what an African studies prof thought of it, especially if he's well familiar with previous runs.

He was not, he only sought it out because of who is writing it. I told him to come back and see me if he enjoys it and we'll track down as much Priest Panther as we can find.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

It still comes in second to Love Never Dies on my "how did you miss the point of the thing you wrote that badly" list, but it's a close second.

I didn't know what that was, and looking it up I found this gem.

quote:

The Daily Mail announced in May 2007 that the sequel would be delayed, because Lloyd Webber's six-month-old kitten Otto, a rare-breed Turkish Van, climbed onto Lloyd Webber's Clavinova digital piano and managed to delete the entire score.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Between Unfollow, Survivors' Club, and Sheriff of Babylon, this has been a great week for reading Vertigo's output. I hope their first trades do well enough to justify keeping them afloat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Between Unfollow, Survivors' Club, and Sheriff of Babylon, this has been a great week for reading Vertigo's output. I hope their first trades do well enough to justify keeping them afloat.

Bleedingcool think they're going to get an overhaul in the next few months because nothing's been selling, but hopefully that just means that everyone gets to keep their jobs and there are a couple of, like adult version legacy DC comics in the mix to get people interested.
Apparently Gerard Way will do Doom Patrol and act as some kind of brand curator for the line to 'hip' it up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 7, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

He was not, he only sought it out because of who is writing it. I told him to come back and see me if he enjoys it and we'll track down as much Priest Panther as we can find.

Isn't the entire Priest run collected in 3 ultimate collections now?

And I'm not sure what it would be like to read the later chunks without being familiar with Kirby and his style.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I like Ta-Nehisi Coates a lot and really enjoyed the first installment of his Black Panther. Unfortunately, I have a minor issue - it's unrelated to the comic itself, Coates or Brian Stelfreeze and is mostly incidental and related to media coverage - is that the great older Panther comics seem to be getting lost in the conversation, when even Coates himself has namedropped Kirby, Don McGregor and Christopher Priest. I don't necessarily blame the people discussing, since Coates is an extremely talented and popular writer but it kinda sucks that there's a bit of a "finally someone good is writing this iconic character" vibe in the air in some circles, especially in light of Priest being the first black person to write him (but not to work on him - that would be Billy Graham, the artist, not the televangelist)

Rhyno posted:

I'd be interested in hearing what he thinks of the McGregor Panther as well, actually.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Reggie Hudlin did a lot of damage to the character and his bad books are what most people know of the character in the modern day, sadly. Wasn't that BET show based on his run? It makes sense that people feel like the character's "never been good" if that's all they've seen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Lurdiak posted:

Reggie Hudlin did a lot of damage to the character and his bad books are what most people know of the character in the modern day, sadly. Wasn't that BET show based on his run?

I don't remember the Hudlin run very well but isn't it a mixed bag? And I think so yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't remember the Hudlin run very well but isn't it a mixed bag? And I think so yeah.

I mean it's not the worst thing ever but it was very juvenile and Panther came across like a huge rear end in a top hat most of the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently Gerard Way will do Doom Patrol and act as some kind of brand curator for the line to 'hip' the up.

Not gonna lie, Gerard Way Doom Patrol would be pretty great.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Isn't the entire Priest run collected in 3 ultimate collections now?

With a 4th on the way!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vol.2 of the Priest run is sold out at Diamond god drat it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just got all of the Priest run on Comixology. I've had the first trade for years but never read the rest. It's really, really dope so far.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This amuses me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I could've told you that without picking up the book but I appreciate the confirmation

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Not gonna lie, Gerard Way Doom Patrol would be pretty great.

It's gonna be!
Instead of Vert, he's got his own DC imprint announced today.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I picked up The Authority among other things in the Christmas Comixology sale. Volume 1 was all right (I much preferred the attack of the clones and attack of the god arcs to the attack of the ALIEN RAPE CAMPS arc) but what the gently caress happened in volume 2? How did it go from that to 'it feels like I've waited my entire life to test those pulsars on live babies' and 'THE AUTHORITY IS A MULTI-CULTURAL GROUP [with only white members]'? I'm only 30 pages or so in and it's already painful.

e: [after frying an entire nursery ward full of infants] 'Don't expect a hand-job from the boss just yet, Tank Man. Word from the hangar is that the little bitch's [<- referring to an infant less than a day old] energy signature is mobile and heading west.' jesus christ

apparently the dude who did wanted and kick rear end started writing this comic book. this man is very strange and doesn't seem to like comic books very much.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 8, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What happened was that the writers changed from the very talented but easily bored Warren Ellis to Mark "booby-trapped womb" Millar.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That's funny cause last night I remembered the Authority fighting a villain who time travelled to molest one of them as a child, and realized that was so messed up and creepy (on the writer) that it still sticks in my brain. I have no idea who the writer was at that point but I'm gonna guess Millar.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I don't really understand why he writes comic books if he's only writing them to go STRAP YOURSELF IN THIS AIN'T YOUR GRANDMA'S COMIC BOOKS. What's even the point of all this harrowing stuff happening if the book doesn't linger on it for more than a panel? Some big giant just threw a 747 full of people at the aforementioned infant child and nobody blinked an eye. Hundreds of people dead and the protagonists are busy coming up with cool quips. I'd think this was meta-satire if the writer wasn't so obviously patting himself on the back for being the guy smart enough to figure out that Superman is bullshit and why aren't babies ever killed in comic books or whatever

Chinaman7000 posted:

That's funny cause last night I remembered the Authority fighting a villain who time travelled to molest one of them as a child, and realized that was so messed up and creepy (on the writer) that it still sticks in my brain. I have no idea who the writer was at that point but I'm gonna guess Millar.

That hasn't happened yet so yeah. gently caress me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's really hard to believe Mark Millar managed to write Red Son and his FF run when you read some of his other work. I don't understand why he constantly gravitates to garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i actually quite liked Millar's Authority on a recent reread, I can understand how it could be too puerile for some but it's a good trial run of his satire of pop culture/"Ugly American" types that would inform The Ultimates. Plus I can never have too much Frank Quitely in my life.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Foul Fowl posted:

Some big giant just threw a 747 full of people at the aforementioned infant child and nobody blinked an eye. Hundreds of people dead and the protagonists are busy coming up with cool quips. I'd think this was meta-satire if the writer wasn't so obviously patting himself on the back for being the guy smart enough to figure out that Superman is bullshit and why aren't babies ever killed in comic books or whatever

The Authority are not good guys. They're bastards who take out even worse bastards planning on doing really heinous poo poo. It's ends justify the means, ruthless calculus, it's the Punisher on a supergroup level, you're generally not supposed to admire the way they go about things (though housing tens of thousands of refugees on the Carrier and calling out the G7 on their ineffectual poo poo was admittedly a nice touch).

Also, Millar does not think Superman is bullshit, you couldn't be more wrong there if you tried.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, Millar does not think Superman is bullshit, you couldn't be more wrong there if you tried.

In all fairness, it's easy to extrapolate how Millar would be expected to feel about Superman based on The Authority. The only creator I can think of off the top of my head who legitimately hates Superman is Frank Cho.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Liberal Idiot posted:

In all fairness, it's easy to extrapolate how Millar would be expected to feel about Superman based on The Authority. The only creator I can think of off the top of my head who legitimately hates Superman is Frank Cho.

That's because you can't draw Superman with huge tits.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Liberal Idiot posted:

In all fairness, it's easy to extrapolate how Millar would be expected to feel about Superman based on The Authority

Then you read his Superman Adventures run, and its some of the best stuff he has written and its based off TAS.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

zoux posted:

He drew some ridiculous commission recreating the fight from the end of Dark Knight Returns with Batman delivering a monologue about how Superman is a "pussy" because he never does "whatever it takes to win." Frank Cho believes Superman is weak because he refuses to vaporize his former best friend within two seconds of encountering him. Not even Garth Ennis would say that about Superman.

bobkatt013 posted:

Then you read his Superman Adventures run, and its some of the best stuff he has written and its based off TAS.

Yeah, it's great stuff and a lot of fun. Even Red Son comes off as extremely sympathetic to Superman despite everything.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Millar's no stranger to shock n schlock, but his current series Huck is full of heart (hope it doesn't go too dark with its villains, hasn't yet).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

They did that once and now she has her own show on CBS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They did that once and now she has her own show on CBS.

Supergirl is the thigh gap one, the tits one is Power Girl.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Elseworld's Finest would disagree.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please stop trying to disabuse me of my notions.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal Idiot posted:

Not even Garth Ennis would say that about Superman.

Isn't Superman the one superhero Ennis really likes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

A lot of British writers seem to adore Superman.

• Locked thread