Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What is this game?
Hyper Light Drifter is a top down 2D Action RPG developed by Heart Machine and funded through Kickstarter. Meticulously worked on and constantly delayed for over 3 years due to the developers' ailing health, the game is finally out and it's basically a mix of Zelda, Fez and Dark Souls. The game is currently out on Steam, GoG, Humble, and will eventually see release on PS4 and XBONE.

What do I do? Where do I go?
The goal of the game is to traverse the 4 lands of a post apocalypse alien/sci fi world. At the end of each path is a very challenging boss to fight, some areas have multiple bosses. You also need to collect 4 diamond fragments scattered across each land. These are the requirements for simply beating the game, but much like the games HLD takes it cues from, there is much, much more to collect and unlock should you be so inclined.

This boss/area is way too hard!
The West, North and East lands are all open from the start of the game, with South opening once you beat all three. If you reach the end of a path and find yourself getting stomped by the boss, don't hesitate to go explore the other lands! You'll find good upgrades and weapons that help you even the odds. I don't have a recommended order, but from experience: West and North have the easiest enemies to deal with, but some tough bosses, while the inverse is true for East.

Air Dash when??
There is no upgrade in the game which makes your dash go further. There is always another way somewhere nearby to get to that platform you see that looks just out of reach.

What the hell are all these weird symbols? What did the sweet costume I just found even do?? HELP!

Monolith Text Alphabet

Costume Effects Guide

Screenshots(I'll add more when they enable screenshots on Steam for the game)

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Really atmospheric so far, got wrecked by the first big group of green winged things on the West area but I'm sure I just barged in and died instead of dodging or something.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I could technically beat the game right now, but I hear it has a souls style transition to new game plus so I wanna get everything before I do so. Still missing 1 fragment in East, 3 fragments in North and South, 4 Tablets, a little under half the keys, and then however any upgrade points and costumes are left.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just did a super thorough sweep of the North zone and still couldn't get more than 5 fragments. I could understand missing one, but how the heck am I missing THREE? Where could these things even be? I figure there must be at least one behind the like 12 key door early on, but besides that I'm stumped. I even redid all the mini-dungeons.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Infinity Gaia posted:

I just did a super thorough sweep of the North zone and still couldn't get more than 5 fragments. I could understand missing one, but how the heck am I missing THREE? Where could these things even be? I figure there must be at least one behind the like 12 key door early on, but besides that I'm stumped. I even redid all the mini-dungeons.

The key door has a costume in it.

Did you find the way back to the prologue area/the tablet room?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm curious if anyone's managed to get the 800 chain dash reward in the town legitimately? I got to around 300 once before just setting up an autoclicker because it just seemed unreasonable to me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zaggitz posted:

The key door has a costume in it.

Did you find the way back to the prologue area/the tablet room?

Yeah I found that. Man if there isn't a fragment behind the key door I literally have no clue where these things could be. I feel like I looked everywhere.

Einwand posted:

I'm curious if anyone's managed to get the 800 chain dash reward in the town legitimately? I got to around 300 once before just setting up an autoclicker because it just seemed unreasonable to me.

Me, more or less. Though I switched to M+KB and then just focused on tapping spacebar to the rhythm. It worked out eventually.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah I found that. Man if there isn't a fragment behind the key door I literally have no clue where these things could be. I feel like I looked everywhere.

Me, more or less. Though I switched to M+KB and then just focused on tapping spacebar to the rhythm. It worked out eventually.

http://i.imgur.com/VdqGku6.png I found a sixth, my map if itll help you. (the last one is a bit further south than what the map will display, ignore the grey reticle.)

edit: up to 7 already haha.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 1, 2016

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm really burnt out on pixel stuff but good god drat this is a pretty game.

Super fun and atmospheric to boot!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

What guns have people wound up liking anyways? I'm just using the laser gun and shotgun. Though I'm still missing a 6th gun, I found an extra one in the water zone but it seems kind of awful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I loathe pixel art games but this game actually looks detailed and nice as opposed to the ones where they use a 'stylistic choice' as an excuse for garbage visuals.

I mean the characters actually have faces! Wow! You'd think that wouldn't be a big deal but indie game pixel art has set the standards so low.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Einwand posted:

What guns have people wound up liking anyways? I'm just using the laser gun and shotgun. Though I'm still missing a 6th gun, I found an extra one in the water zone but it seems kind of awful.

Where'd you find it?

I also main Laser/Shotgun.

edit: http://imgur.com/coYPnh5 Got all 8 north pieces, here's my map, the only one you dont see is the freebie at the northernmost part.

Still missing 1 in east and 2 in south.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 1, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Zaggitz posted:

Where'd you find it?

In the area behind the full square door in the water zone is a bunch of stuff, and the end reward of it all is a gun that I don't like very much.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Einwand posted:

In the area behind the full square door in the water zone is a bunch of stuff, and the end reward of it all is a gun that I don't like very much.

could you do me a favor and screencap your map? I'm trying to figure out where the last piece I'm missing in the east is.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Zaggitz posted:

could you do me a favor and screencap your map? I'm trying to figure out where the last piece I'm missing in the east is.

It's too big for one picture so here they are.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Einwand posted:

It's too big for one picture so here they are.

Got it, thanks. It was the one right next to the full square door.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How can I get the game to run at 60fps? It seems to be capped at 30 and is weirdly sluggish. The gameplay is fine but the way the camera pans makes my eyes feel weird.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 1, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Should be pretty soundly impossible. I don't think you can decouple the framerate from game logic in Game Maker so even if you got your hands on the game's code and set all the room_speed variables to 60 you'd just make the game run at double speed.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Are the boss fights really that bad? I just started yesterday but I'd really rather than be disappointed if I find out I'll never know what happens next due to my lack of skillz.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Alder posted:

Are the boss fights really that bad? I just started yesterday but I'd really rather than be disappointed if I find out I'll never know what happens next due to my lack of skillz.

They get a lot easier once you pick up chain dash, it kind of feels like it should just be an innate part of your skill set honestly.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Should be pretty soundly impossible. I don't think you can decouple the framerate from game logic in Game Maker so even if you got your hands on the game's code and set all the room_speed variables to 60 you'd just make the game run at double speed.

Oh, well that's a shame. The game seems fun but I'm not sure I can deal with the weird juddering at the edges of the screen when the camera pans.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Alder posted:

Most people will reach their first boss with next to no upgrades. With a few upgrades and a different sidearm(shotgun especially) the bosses really aren't that bad.

Missing 2 south fragments if anyone has any tips.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 1, 2016

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Holy jesus, I remember bookmarking their kickstarter way back when but thought it had gotten stuck in development forever. Just buying this is satisfying as hell.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I'm glad I don't have any problems with 30 FPS.

Just beat the north boss, was way easier than I expected after all the hullabaloo. The eastern guy took a while but it was fun. So far so good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Here's my south underground map, I have no idea where to look for the last two fragments. http://i.imgur.com/r1qTgqZ.png

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Alder posted:

The charge attack you can get from the dojo (the house with the sword icon) is super good against bosses, since it hits for about 5 dots and might also refill your ammo on hit (not entirely sure.) I'd say pick it up if you have the gold things for it. It made the first boss I tried a lot easier.

e: you can dodge cancel it too iirc

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 1, 2016

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

lordfrikk posted:

I'm glad I don't have any problems with 30 FPS.

Just beat the north boss, was way easier than I expected after all the hullabaloo. The eastern guy took a while but it was fun. So far so good.

It's weird - normally I'm not too sensitive to framerate issues, but something about the camera movement in this one is making me feel nauseous. It's better if I play in windowed mode :shrug:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Blank Construct posted:

The charge attack you can get from the dojo (the house with the sword icon) is super good against bosses, since it hits for about 5 dots and might also refill your ammo on hit (not entirely sure.) I'd say pick it up if you have the gold things for it. It made the first boss I tried a lot easier.

e: you can dodge cancel it too iirc

You regain ammo when you use your sword. So it's not outside of the realm of possibility that the charge move would also do that.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Is there any word on this coming to consoles in the near future?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

TG-Chrono posted:

Is there any word on this coming to consoles in the near future?

They said the PS4 and XBONE builds should be ready by the end of he year.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You regain ammo when you use your sword. So it's not outside of the realm of possibility that the charge move would also do that.

Oh whoops! I meant it completely refills your ammo on hit.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

Einwand posted:

I tapped out on this around 350, did you just use AHK or some other macro?

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

ISUCHARESLOLO posted:

I tapped out on this around 350, did you just use AHK or some other macro?

The easiest way to do this without some kinda scripting is to switch to mouse and keyboard. The dash will center on wherever you place the mouse cursor, so you can just fiddle with it until he's going over the recharge plates every time and tap away, not using the movement keys at all. Helps to take off your headphones or mute the sound or whatever, too - the rhythm of the ingame sound effects will confuse your rhythm. Enjoy your carpal tunnel!

A bit cheesy, but you can get up to pretty much any arbitrary number for as long as you have patience and the strength in your pathetic nerd muscles

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

This guy in the sword building in the very very very beginning. He seems to be either selling skills or telling me how to use skills I already have. None of those skills work. I mean it says hit space and attack at the same time and that does nothing. Another guy said hit space twice and that does nothing also. I can't buy anything from either of them. It doesn't tell me I don't have money to buy these skills. Nobody uses words so I have no idea what the gently caress they want from me. I don't know what I'm doing and everyone mumbles at me in gibberish or speaks in pictures that hurt to look at. I spent five minutes pressing Q at the table at the beginning before giving up and leaving only to maybe find a skills vendor and spend five minutes hitting Q at him also before giving up there too. Everything seems to be telling me to hit Q but Q never does anything. I regret buying this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Krinkle posted:

This guy in the sword building in the very very very beginning. He seems to be either selling skills or telling me how to use skills I already have. None of those skills work. I mean it says hit space and attack at the same time and that does nothing. Another guy said hit space twice and that does nothing also. I can't buy anything from either of them. It doesn't tell me I don't have money to buy these skills. Nobody uses words so I have no idea what the gently caress they want from me. I don't know what I'm doing and everyone mumbles at me in gibberish or speaks in pictures that hurt to look at. I spent five minutes pressing Q at the table at the beginning before giving up and leaving only to maybe find a skills vendor and spend five minutes hitting Q at him also before giving up there too. Everything seems to be telling me to hit Q but Q never does anything. I regret buying this.

You have to buy those skills before you can use them. You need to collect upgrade points to buy them. Every 4 upgrade bit gives you an upgrade point.

You can collect bits by exploring the north, west and east areas and their underground areas and some harder enemies (more than 4 bits of life).

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

Space Hamlet posted:

The easiest way to do this without some kinda scripting is to switch to mouse and keyboard. The dash will center on wherever you place the mouse cursor, so you can just fiddle with it until he's going over the recharge plates every time and tap away, not using the movement keys at all. Helps to take off your headphones or mute the sound or whatever, too - the rhythm of the ingame sound effects will confuse your rhythm. Enjoy your carpal tunnel!

A bit cheesy, but you can get up to pretty much any arbitrary number for as long as you have patience and the strength in your pathetic nerd muscles

Thanks for this, got it on my first try!

Edit: I've been enjoying the game so far, but I think I'm pretty far into the game. I'm in the south fighting the lizard men. Is there much more content after this? I feel like there's a lot of stuff I haven't seen that I can recall from the trailers.

ISUCHARESLOLO fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 1, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I found some things that look like they have Fez style secret language stuff on them, has anyone made headway on that?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've gone into some kind of area and I'm beating on things, but I can't figure out why. I'm also looking for some kinda crystal?

What I'm saying is, I don't get my motivation for doing things in this thing.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

evilmiera posted:

I've gone into some kind of area and I'm beating on things, but I can't figure out why. I'm also looking for some kinda crystal?

What I'm saying is, I don't get my motivation for doing things in this thing.

The story would be pretty generic if you wrote it out, so it's a blessing IMO that it's rendered in broad gestures.

Your guy has the coughy disease and the bad shadows, so he has to find the symbol of apotheosis (dreamed? remembered? wow, who knows) so that he can transcend the woes of his times and bestow boons upon his fellow man; to do all this he must explore the ruins of the terrible sci-fi explosion that left the world a fantasy place instead, haunted by the titans of a past age, etc etc etc

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really, really enjoying this game, but I'm not that far in yet. I don't really care about the story just because the atmosphere is absolutely top-notch. Of course, I'm also an absolute sucker for verdant post-apocalypse settings and what I'm going to go ahead and call Neon Laser Fantasy settings.

• Locked thread