Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Let me tell you why you're all wrong about liking this game and just think you're enjoying it:

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hahah, the guy just pointed out some mechanics and why he didn't enjoy them. But by all means, circle jerk unabated.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Blacktoll posted:

Hahah, the guy just pointed out some mechanics and why he didn't enjoy them. But by all means, circle jerk unabated.

He also summed up the opposing view as "welllll it looks pretty," but yeah sorry for not showing him the same goodwill i guess

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i hit the refund button as soon as i read this post:

nozh posted:

It's very atmospheric and visually interesting to look at, and also, a lot of fun. Maybe it's just not your bag, that's okay

which can validly be summed up as "welllll it looks pretty"

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I'd rate this a solid 7/10 from first impression, so a solid genre title. The art is nice, the storytelling is nice, and the world is interesting. The controls feel floaty and inaccurate and while the textless adventure is great for the storytelling, it would be nice if they told you how mechanics worked instead of having to trial and error everything you find. The combat feels as hard as dark souls, but way less fair than dark souls does.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Space Hamlet posted:

He also summed up the opposing view as "welllll it looks pretty," but yeah sorry for not showing him the same goodwill i guess

The entire thread thus has been people clamoring over the aspects of why the game kicks rear end. I guess the best we can expect is either "IF YOU DON'T ENJOY IT LEAVE." Or your snarky poo poo.

To be fair this game touts itself as a cross of dark souls / metroid / link and I only saw link tbh.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

i hit the refund button as soon as i read this post:

which can validly be summed up as "welllll it looks pretty"

"a lot of fun"

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Impulse bought this knowing nothing about it except for the blurb on the steam page. The opening cinematic had me totally hooked and I'm about an hour into it now, it's pretty awesome so far! Acing a big fight feels badass.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have no idea where you could have gotten "the game is about wallhumping for secrets" from. If you're not looking for optional stuff, which you don't need to, the game is a very straightforward series of challenges of escalating difficulty (with the concession that you can choose one of three directions to start from). If you're going for 100% that's another thing entirely, but over the course of my playthrough I found lots secrets mostly by, I dunno, looking at the screen? Stuff like "Oh there's totally a gap in that wall" and "wait that's a platform I can walk on isn't it"

I can only conclude that you got a bad first impression somehow and reinforced it with some posts from here. Of course actually liking the combat (which is like 75% of the game) also helps.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I don't get the wallhumping stuff either. Most of the secret stuff I found from visual clues.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Game is fun and cool. I've completed the essentials of the three main areas open at the beginning and so far the only things I felt were kind of bullshit were the western boss and maybe 2 places where more generous checkpoints would have made a big difference. The dash doesn't have much (any?) invincibility which means combat involves a lot of spacing and baiting out, instead of dodging through, enemy attacks. Combat is still very satisfying. Environments are really nice, and the soundtrack fits quite well. Not goty material but I'm not regretting the time spent on it.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The wallhumping stuff is just wrong in my experience. I've found like 85-90% of the secrets in the game and I assure you the hidden paths in walls have visual clues if you look at them. I've seen enemies walk through them, path markings next to them, indentations, being against an otherwise pointless ledge, general conspicuous-ness, etc. Visual clues being subtle aren't the same thing as not being there at all.

e: I agree with the other post that the item tracking is a problem. I'm generally interested in finding my missing 4 keys and 5 tablets. While I would guess there are 4 of each of those per zone since there are 16 of them total, I don't know where I have found what I already have, so I can't even narrow my searching accordingly. Since I can't narrow my searching, I'm not interested in searching the entirety of the game for them and will just never do it I guess. Seems like a waste.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 2, 2016

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I guess I don't care if someone else chooses to not like this game, but man I loved it a lot. The music and the atmosphere and the art was all impressive and I felt drawn in to the world. At least half of the secrets I found immediately from noticing them, the others I did have to bump against walls a bit. It's not so bad when you figure out where you need to look. I went off the map and looked for areas where I hadnt found those crystal battery things yet, figured there must be one in a big empty area.

I dunno, the whole experience was just really satisfying. Right amount of challenge and the controls felt fun. And I -would- say it felt like a zelda/metroid/darksouls sorta thing. In fact my first thought after playing for a bit was being reminded of the opening of super metroid and wandering around alone with that storm raging. It tells a nice story without ever using words.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Is it just me, or does this game remind anyone else of Another World? It's not quite the same game, but it has a similar alien atmosphere, stranger in a strange land.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

This game is phenomenal and I love the difficulty curve/balance and the art (holy poo poo giant corpses!) but where the hell do I find the red keys? I'm finding lots of yellow upgrade points and have amassed a few purple ones as well but keys seem to be very very scarce.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Did any of the people who like this game play it on mouse and keyboard? I want to know how universal a complaint the m&kb controls' quality is. For reference, I've beaten two Dark Souls games and Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace on mouse and keyboard, so I'm not exactly picky.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm playing it with a mouse and keyboard and everything seems fine so far, but I'm still pretty early on in the game.

I can report back, if you'd like.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HMS Boromir posted:

Did any of the people who like this game play it on mouse and keyboard? I want to know how universal a complaint the m&kb controls' quality is. For reference, I've beaten two Dark Souls games and Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace on mouse and keyboard, so I'm not exactly picky.

You'll be fine. I'd be much happier with the game if you could aim in one direction while dodging in the direction you're currently moving, but I'd want that regardless of what control scheme I were using.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You'll be fine. I'd be much happier with the game if you could aim in one direction while dodging in the direction you're currently moving, but I'd want that regardless of what control scheme I were using.

Alrighty, thanks.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Only problem I had was one area that was dark and I couldn't see the direction indicator. It makes using the guns a noticeably better option, but melee combat is just a touch more awkward.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
One of the upgrades I can buy in town appears to be a hand-grenade for two [--].
Is this an equippable weapon like my guns, or is it a totally new ability? Are they limited in quantity? Do they run off the same bar as my guns?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

One of the upgrades I can buy in town appears to be a hand-grenade for two [--].
Is this an equippable weapon like my guns, or is it a totally new ability? Are they limited in quantity? Do they run off the same bar as my guns?

Totally new ability that you get in addition to guns. Best I can tell, it just runs off a cooldown. I believe it does 3 points of damage to anything hit, but there may be damage falloff based on how far the target is from the epicenter of the blast.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Yea the nade is legit, does dmg in a huge aoe, can wipe out entire packs of the little green guys.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I could understand how this game could frustrate some people, but I can't think of what they could have done better that wouldn't fundamentally change a core feature (mysterious, atmospheric, unforgiving, etc).
Some degree of backtracking and hidden area hunting is just required.

Games like this encourage you to think about how the developer(s) think about puzzles and secrets. Thinking "I bet they would hide something on that lone outcropping" and finding you guessed correctly is completing a really satisfying little psychological challenge. You start to build a model after a few hours of playing that, to some extent, carries across games in the genre.

I think if you don't enjoy that or can't really get a handle on it for whatever reason, these sorts of games will just be frustrating and tedious.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Finally found the last west diamond (and last one period) and now I can't remember where the drat door is.

2 keys and 3 monoliths left.

Edit - Right. It was straight south of the teleporter. I am an idiot.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol A hidden object in grass does not make for a psychological challenge. I'm happy that this game is doing well it looks cool. But let's not call it a tour de force the story is absent at best and the controls are a hindrance.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Bad Seafood posted:

Is it just me, or does this game remind anyone else of Another World? It's not quite the same game, but it has a similar alien atmosphere, stranger in a strange land.

There is a bit of a Delphine rotoscoped action game vibe - the intro seems to throw out a pretty direct reference to the first shot in Flashback's intro, even

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

that west boss was a real bitch. i learned that you can throw the bomb just before engaging the boss's intro cut scene. starting the boss off with 3 less hp may not seem like much, but when i was chipping away at his last 4 points with long distance shots while being on 1 hit point myself with no more medkits i came to appreciate a little bit of cheesing the fight.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Metal Meltdown posted:

Totally new ability that you get in addition to guns. Best I can tell, it just runs off a cooldown. I believe it does 3 points of damage to anything hit, but there may be damage falloff based on how far the target is from the epicenter of the blast.

Awesome, thanks.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

With the chain dash skill can you dash on air? I found a couple of items on the east side of the map that look like they are too far away with one dash but I don't see a way to get to them otherwise.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Game of the year. Until Dark Souls III of course

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Mr. Pumroy posted:

that west boss was a real bitch. i learned that you can throw the bomb just before engaging the boss's intro cut scene. starting the boss off with 3 less hp may not seem like much, but when i was chipping away at his last 4 points with long distance shots while being on 1 hit point myself with no more medkits i came to appreciate a little bit of cheesing the fight.

That fight was a loving nightmare until I went back and got the chain dash, made its wayyyy less harsh. Also the pre-fight bomb trick is pretty awesome :)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thievery posted:

With the chain dash skill can you dash on air? I found a couple of items on the east side of the map that look like they are too far away with one dash but I don't see a way to get to them otherwise.

Just because you don't see a path doesn't mean it isn't there, just beyond what your eyes can see.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like the text that appears from getting all the tablets has been translated: https://www.reddit.com/r/hyperlightdrifter/comments/4d2jzo/the_story_of_hyper_light_drifter_explained/

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Thievery posted:

Nope. You can never dash any further than you can at the very start of the game. If it's out of range of that, then it's putting it there to show you that this thing exists, and a path to it exists, somewhere.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

So It Goes posted:

Looks like the text that appears from getting all the tablets has been translated: https://www.reddit.com/r/hyperlightdrifter/comments/4d2jzo/the_story_of_hyper_light_drifter_explained/

Still wanna know before I spoil myself on this - are there clues in the game about how to translate the text, or was it just a matter of crunching the numbers until a substitution cypher worked? Does anything through that link I ain't clicking on give some indication?

Figuring out how to read the signs in Fez was the best bit in that game and I'd hate to miss the chance in this, if it's similarly clever.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Space Hamlet posted:

Still wanna know before I spoil myself on this - are there clues in the game about how to translate the text, or was it just a matter of crunching the numbers until a substitution cypher worked?

Figuring out how to read the signs in Fez was the best bit in that game and I'd hate to miss the chance in this, if it's similarly clever.

I don't think there are any clues except you can maybe infer what the shop signs in the town say and go from there. I think the people who translated just did basic cryptography stuff like frequency analysis or whatever.

Speaking of fez, I kinda disliked how "cracking" its language came down to having heard of a specific pangram. As someone who never heard of quick foxes and lazy dogs, I feel like I never even had a chance.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

So It Goes posted:

I don't think there are any clues except you can maybe infer what the shop signs in the town say and go from there. I think the people who translated just did basic cryptography stuff like frequency analysis or whatever.

Speaking of fez, I kinda disliked how "cracking" its language came down to having heard of a specific pangram. As someone who never heard of quick foxes and lazy dogs, I feel like I never even had a chance.

This is unfair towards both Fez and yourself. You can decipher the text without knowing the pangram, as that's what I did: I used the "Good food" signs in the urban zone as a starting point, as the meaning seemed pretty evident, and once you have a few letters the other flow naturally from there. There's also a clue in one of the achievements, which names the empire, so you can start with what's written on the banners. The only assumption you need to make is that it'll be a substitution of english.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Curious, where did you learn to speak/read English? That panagram is about as universal as the ABC song in the United States.

vvv it was an example sentence used for handwriting, cursive, typing, reading...

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I'm american, in the south. I have no idea what classes you took that ever had reason to mention the quick fox thing. I guarantee if I asked all my friends about the sentence, under 50% will have heard of it.

• Locked thread