Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

You've neglected to mention

Austin - Richard Garriott de Cayeux is building a Personal Rapid Transit system on the median.
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/austin-personal-rapid-transit-idea
Yes. That's Lord British.

Yes, it's happening.

Of course we're getting some dumb gimmicky bullshit instead of putting more money into literally anything that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also speaking of Austin and San Antonio, the rail line between them that has been in planning for years is on the ropes (even more than before) because Union Pacific broke their agreement to let them use UP right of way. http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/03/potential-train-wreck-ahead-for-lone-star-rail/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are any of the BRT projects in the US actual BRTs? Like with dedicated lanes and special stations? In Austin what was sold to us as BRT is a total joke - semidedicated lanes downtown and then they use normal lanes everywhere else. They run on the exact same routes as normal buses and are 3 or 4 minutes fast I think.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

In Minneapolis/St. Paul:

The Gold Line is a true BRT with dedicated lanes, but it makes so many stops that its time advantage is completely eroded.

The A Line running from the 46th Street LRT Station in Minneapolis to Rosedale Mall claims to be BRT but is actually just an express bus with special stations and boarding and exiting procedures to speed it up. It will run 20% faster than the existing line.

So the answer is no.

I wonder who came up with selling BRTs like this in the US. Is this something else I can blame on Richard Florida?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

Nobody came up with it. It's just American clusterfuck politics in general.

BRT is sold as "like light rail, but cheaper", so you can get anti-rail-transit people to support it*, and transit advocates in the US are generally desperate enough to compromise. Of course, the usual crop of white baby-boomer NIMBYs appear to oppose any transit at all. Then when it comes time to actually dedicate entire road lanes to the BRT, car-lovers go "Whaaaaa? Take... a lane away? But muh freedom cars! :qq:" Then anti-government-spending conservatives come spilling out, because they just can't fathom putting actual resources into what they view as last-resort poverty transit. "Spend money on a bus station?! It's just a bus station! Gubmint wastin yer money agin! :bahgawd:"

The coup de grace, of course, are the sudden disappearance of the anti-rail transit people's support. For them, BRT is a red herring to distract transit advocates with. Their support was never genuine. Once they managed to stop the Great Rail Satan, they evaporated and recondensed back into NIMBYs, car-fuckers, and budget hawks.

*I am not kidding, the fastest way to make a bunch of insincere BRT advocates materialize is mention "light rail" on a libertarian website.

I think this is pretty much how it worked out in Austin. We also just lost a rail bond election last year from a combo of people in the outer parts of the city not thinking it would benefit them and transit advocates refusing to vote for it because they thought it didn't follow the correct route :jerkbag: It wasn't on the route they wanted because that's the route our """BRT""" is on.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Funding a public transit system with traffic fines sounds like a terrible idea.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

There's always the option of not breaking traffic law to escape the "shakedown".

I'm sure all those black people in Ferguson were just rampant lawbreakers.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Harik posted:

What is the name of the rule that requires a gigantic desert of scalding hot parking lot between the road/sidewalk and the business? That's one of those "gently caress everyone without a car" rules, because there's no practical reason why you can't have parking in the back with the business right up on the sidewalk.

Orlando has tried this instead (in one place), which I prefer:

Mixed retail, office and residential, with parking on the roof. While the target itself is set-back the typical distance from the main road, the ocean of parking lot has been replaced with rows of medium-rise buildings with walk-in storefronts the entire distance.

I think those are condos on the right, and office space on the left, but I'm not sure, there's still a lot of resistance to mixing commercial and residential in one unit.

A planning professor told me a lot of national retail chains still insist on big setbacks with huge parking lots because they want people to know they can park at their stores. Not sure if that's changing or not, but I do know some chains have started doing urban formats that don't fit the traditional big box look.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Curvature of Earth posted:

The only real-time tracking my rinky-dink local bus system uses is you calling the transit department and them in turn calling the bus driver's work cell. It was the only way I could find out whether the bus skipped my stop or it was just really, really late the last time it snowed. (It skipped my stop and I was late to classes that day :( )

Holy poo poo. How many bus lines are there where you live?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let us imagine, if you would, that you is council P of a city of ~100k. Also that you loving hate buses b/c they bullshit without times telling ya when they arrive and now fixed RoW's

You the council P, what motions you wanna table in your community? What are some loving easy policies I can get implemented and win on, I'm asking.

A law banning panhandling, probably

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The White House just put out an urbanism wet dream of policy prescriptions: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/Housing_Development_Toolkit%20f.2.pdf

The essential message is that heavy-handed zoning restrictions cost money, increase inequality, and exacerbate segregation. The recommendations are:

-by right development
-tax or donate vacant land
-streamline/shorten permitting processes
-eliminate parking minimums
-allow ADUs
-establish density bonuses
-zone more high-density and multifamily
-inclusionary zoning
-development tax or value capture incentives (not sure what this means as I haven't read the full paper yet)
-property tax abatements

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I mean anything is too ambitious considering the federal government has very few ways to change local zoning rules (the grants mentioned in the intro).

I think the biggest help from this is that now urbanists in left-leaning cities can point to this and say "if you're calling us astroturf pro-developer shills you're saying the same thing about Obama."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it just me or does Accenture gently caress up every government project they get?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

California's insane 66% requirement is so stupid. I imagine they can pass easily, but does anyone think they'll be able to get 66%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

boner confessor posted:

these are all state/local level referendums, the federal government can't do anything about it.

USDOT does fund some transit through grants or low interest loans. If they pull a bunch of that money it won't derail (haha) these projects but it could make them a lot smaller.

• Locked thread