Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is there any good material to read about private public transit systems? Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong all operate pretty solid private systems (even if they still rely on some public subsidy) and I'm curious why their structures seem to function so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Quorum posted:

So it's a cool system with lots of cool technology; the proof-of-concept Capital Bikeshare provided helped a bunch of other cities decide to splurge on their own systems, many of which have been successful. Off the top of my head, San Francisco has a pretty good one, and Minneapolis too? I don't know much about those other systems though, I've mostly used CB. Even my own city of Richmond is getting one! Which does worry me because the city has lots of hills and DC and New York both really don't, and tourists tend to be kind of afraid of hills. But I figure if SF can figure it out, so can we.

Even without many hills, DC does see the stations at the top of them clear out of bicycles and not many make it back on their own. I've been guilty of this - ride the bike down the hill to work, take the bus back after. I've heard of areas that actually will reward riders with credit if they take bikes to stations that people don't normally return to and think it's a great system that should be emulated.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Just read a neat piece on the structuring of suburban office parks and company's continued resilience to change:

Why Are America's Most Innovative Companies Still Stuck in 1950s Suburbia?

I've always thought it weird how the offices of Apple, Google, and the likes, are cooped up in suburbs that only seem to have access through large highways.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

People around DC were pretty upset when the new Silver Line was elevated through what amounts to a car-focused exurb, Tyson's Corner, as a cost saving measure. Not really sure why it's such a fuss - it already exists pretty much exclusively in the median of a 12-lane road.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

There's plenty of people who work for consultancies where their office is at home but they fly out to clients during the week. I know a guy who used to work for one where he lived in Atlanta but his client was in LA, so he would fly out there every Monday morning and red eye it back to Atlanta Thursday night. He did that for 6 months before the project finished and he got a client closer to him.

In other chat, the NYTimes put out an article today on how absolutely broke public transit is. Something we all know, becoming grimmer every day. A lot of it seems to come down to lack of dedicated funding and systems basically having to beg for money year after year.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 26, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Does that streetcar not have a dedicated lane?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

The DC City Council put out a resolution calling on Metro to restore late-night rail service when the system-wide reconstruction program ends next spring. Metro claims they need the extra time for maintenance.

How do other two track systems handle 24-hour service? Do they just close down lines periodically overnight?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

There are almost no 24 hour rail networks in the... world. According to this which seems in line with what I've heard, there are only 8 in the world.

I don't think WMATA was ever a system with 24 hour service, they're just complaining that they can't do the maintenance in the 5-7 hours they'd get normally every night so they want more. WMATA is bad at running a subway.

It's not a system with 24-hour service, and that's not what they are being asked to return to. I was just curious because they claim that they need the extra time for maintenance, but there are viable systems that appear to work well with less allotted time.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Golbez posted:

The DC Metro has never run 24 hours; "late night" means "until 1 or 2 on weekends." That's it.

Which I acknowledged.

Golbez posted:

As for other systems: Other systems usually have an extra track. The DC Metro, in their wisdom, was built with only the two tracks along every line. So most systems, when they need to do maintenance on a section of track, can just route trains around it. DC has to single-track past any maintenance, meaning it shouldn't be done during the day, and absolutely can't be done during rush hour. So, they do all the maintenance they can in the middle of the night, between closing (midnight) and opening (5am). Considering how much time it takes to just get equipment set up and taken down, they get maybe 3 hours of actual work done in a given night.

Two track systems are the norm, not three/four track, and much better run systems do just fine with them.

boner confessor posted:

probably also that WMATA is in a jurisdictionally weird position where they do not have dedicated funding nor a single stable state government supporting it but rather have to petition for funding from two states, an independent district that lacks many state powers, and the us congress

This is probably a huge part of the problem. Too much ambiguity in funding makes it really hard to plan.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Maera Sior posted:

This is a company that gives $135/month in Metro fare or free parking on-site. If they want to move people to public transit, they need to make it obviously cheaper than driving, and that's means removing parking subsidies.

ETA: I grew up in Boston, which has flat fares. The bus pass is rolled into the commuter passes as well. Paying >$200 for the monthly metro pass, plus another $45 for a bus pass, is mind-boggling.

Boston's system is pretty broke. MBTA's operating budget is larger than WMATA's for almost identical ridership. Their system is incredibly cash-strapped, and the state a few years ago passed a law to limit how much MBTA can raise their rates, exacerbating the issue. Massachusetts had to raise their sales tax to keep MBTA afloat, and that system is still in debt to the tune of $500 million. MBTA's capital improvement fund hasn't had any money put into it for years, and their maintenance backlog is in the multiple of billions. Their flat fare system is unsustainable, sorry to say.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 1, 2016

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

Metro needs to be nationalized and the operations put out for private sector bidding. Let's get MTR from HK or SMRT from Singapore to deal with it. Bust up the union too, Metro's ATU local is a real live example of those "bad unions" that right wingers insist exist everywhere.

Stockholm's metro has been run by MTR for years, this isn't some pie in the sky proposal.

Would any of you more knowledgeable goons mind doing a primer on private(-public) mass transit? I know that they've been successful in Tokyo, HK, and Singapore, but I also know it was a disaster in England under Thatcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

axeil posted:

Oh my god we have a transit thread?

Prepare for an incoming mega-post in the next few days about how hosed WMATA is. I've been following it very closely since 2010 and want to share all my thoughts on it.

Bring it!

• Locked thread