Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You've neglected to mention

Austin - Richard Garriott de Cayeux is building a Personal Rapid Transit system on the median.
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/austin-personal-rapid-transit-idea
Yes. That's Lord British.

Yes, it's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Something important to keep in mind is that automated driverless cars are coming wayyyyyy faster than a lot of people think- probably under 20 years. It's going to radically change the way we think about transportation and car ownership, particularly in dense urban areas. The other thing is that most car manufactures are moving to looking at alternative buying models, including things like shared leases (up to 10 people I think) and purchases, along with a plan to massively increase the number of shared services like zipcar.

Hopefully we get more trains too (the technology to automate those already exists actually)! But any urban plan that doesn't take into account those emerging technologies is doomed to long term failure.

Automated driverless cars are coming, but it won't be critical till they reach five nines of penetration or so. As long as one in a thousand cars is human piloted, you need to keep the traffic laws human-centric, and it's the poorest people who will be keeping their junkers the longest. So thirty years after they reach the 'Tesla 3' stage. (Maybe 20)

As far as alternative buying models, I'm just going to point out that the biggest problem with them is the morning commute and the evening commute. Sure, the car's sitting around 80% of the day, but that 20% is when I actually need it. As far as sharing with 10 friends - yes, I am entirely sure I can rely on 10 friends to pay a bill every month, and also I can rely on them to all keep a job in the same location for 5 years, and also not move away.

As far as 'renting out your car when you're not using it', it's... certainly an interesting concept that I would like to introduce to the tragedy of the commons, the expense of wear and tear, and smokers.

I'm not saying these ideas won't work, I'm saying our society is currently not structured to leverage them, and if you're going to try to restructure society in order to make your business model work... well, generally, that doesn't work out that well.

Bozza posted:

Probably the only comparative to the NYC Subway is the London Underground. The way the upgrades there were handled was with a rolling programme of signalling and control upgrades with rolling stock upgrades taking place simultaneously. You can test the system in normal running by having the upgraded trains follow in shadow mode like a really decent soak test.

Once you've renewed all your stock you switch over to the new system and decommission the old. Pretty much entirely implemented on night and weekend closures.

PS I am the OP of the British trainchat thread so thanks for the shout out and great info on North American railways railroads and metros!

Pleasure to meet you. The major difference between the two is the London Underground shuts down after midnight, I believe. NYC doesn't sleep.

Which does mean we're a bit hosed. That's the problem with massive infrastructure. Repairing it is killer. The only way I could see to do it would be some sort of parasitic piggyback control set that could be A/B tested and both run at once during the conversion process.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 1, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Car enthusiasts can, with effort, be given the middle finger. Poor people driving six in a junker, you will starve and kill if you make their cars illegal - and they'll probably drive them anyhow.

So changing traffic laws to be streetlightless, as the latest fad of design is going, won't happen till those things are driverless.

Which should, parenthetically, be really interesting when you have a 25 year old tesla and half its sensors are gone in an inspectionless state.

Not to mention street lights are sort of important for safe crossing.

Course, I'm interested in the industrial application of autonomous vehicles. We might have American roadtrains - three trucks, one driver, in a convoy.

The transformative utopia is possible - but it's not near-term.

PS: Poked Lord British about his stuff, his site's down.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Solkanar512 posted:

Most likely you'll see automation being required (and more easily adapted) to highly traveled and standardized roadways (freeways/highways) rather than the last mile sort of thing where driving becomes much more unpredictable. Car enthusiasts aren't your enemy here.

I _am_ a car enthusiast. My daily drive is a Focus ST. I agree as to what you're saying, I was skipping ahead to endgame, because to get utopian advances that truly treat personal vehicles as mass transit, that's where you have to look - you have to say 'this stuff won't happen till endgame' or 'this stuff won't happen without a massive change in social behavior I don't see happening, and here's why.'

Now, automation required on the freeway/highway is possible, but I'm honestly not sure you can do it in any fashion other than a HOV style special lane, because people will sue for access - and rightly so. Which means you're going to see fights like you currently have for HOV, because there isn't that much space to expand a highway and it costs a lot of money to do so.
I'm not seeing it happen for more than five years before we get nigh-full automation penetration anyhow, which means 'it'll exist some places and then be obsolete cause everyone has it.'

I'm actually really interested in how a 10+ year old autonomous vehicle will behave, especially in inspection-less states.

Anyhow, we're in agreement, excepting possibly freight, autonomous vehicles are a sideshow here for the next few decades.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://transportation.westchestergov.com/bee-line

This is what buses look like in my area. Frequent, multiple lines, even a para-transit shared ride service built in. Uses the same Metrocard system as NYC.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

glowing-fish posted:

Westchester County is a rich, populous and pretty urbanized area, next to one of the world's largest and most important cities, so it having good transit isn't that surprising.

Yep. It's even been re-rationalized about 20 years ago. That being said, I figured it might serve as a good reference point to what 'good' bus service looks like. Not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. It's a more appropriate reference point than one in Europe, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

donoteat posted:

That's just an intro to the system, I can go in depth into some more fun subjects -- ask me about

..."The Gang Builds a Tunnel"
..."Ronald Reagan Goes All America Over SEPTA's rear end"
..."The Gang Buys a British Leyland Railbus"
..."The Gang Blocks A Light Rail Extension"
..."The Gang Goes To Atlantic City"
..."The Gang Shuts Down Everything"
..."The Gang Fights The Union"
..."The Gang Gets Rid of Tokens"
..."The Gang Demolishes Paddy's"

and remember as SEPTA's slogan went

Just Post! Please!

• Locked thread