Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

FISHMANPET posted:

There are a few smaller bus systems around the world that have gone fare free.

I think it can work in theory on a system that is far below capacity where the relative cost of collecting a fare is expensive, and the gains in ridership can be easily accommodated because there's plenty of excess capacity in the system.

Tacoma, WA's light rail was free until fairly recently, but it's a four stop "line" with no plans to expand, as far as I know. One end at the Sounder (commuter rail) station, the other at the stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Badger of Basra posted:

California's insane 66% requirement is so stupid. I imagine they can pass easily, but does anyone think they'll be able to get 66%?

LA voted on extending a previous sales tax by 30 years in 2012... And it failed after getting a mere 65% of the vote in support. Opposition was pretty strong in parts of LA which don't have any plans to get mass transit service, like San Pedro and the South Bay cities.

The funniest thing, unquestionably, about the LACMTA expansion is the massive number of reasons opponents of the Purple Line (heavy rail subway) have come up with to oppose it. Like the idea that ISIS will use it to blow up OUR CHILDREN.

• Locked thread