Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fame Douglas posted:

So if there's no safety benefit, why have any red lights at all?

Red light cameras are likely very cost-effective enforcement for local police departments. Instead of having a patrolman babysit a problematic intersection during busy times, the camera is always 'on duty' and can bust a violator any time of the day. I'm also pretty sure people are less likely to try to fight the ticket since it will show a photograph of the offender in their vehicle, with the license plate in full view.

Another big problem with red light cameras is conflict of interest, in my opinion. See, the company that licenses the equipment to the police agencies gets a cut of all the fines levied from the cameras. So money is definitely a big motivator here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

NAT-T Ice posted:

It's not like the BART gates stop fare avoidance anyway. It's trivial to piggyback on someone else and are stuck open half the time.

The fuckers in the BART gates love to slam right into my kneecaps. Guess I need to hustle more.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Quorum posted:

Debate & Discussion: voted facho › Transit Politics: The Little Engines That Couldnt Get Federal Funding

DoT grants to help urbanism, sustainability, walkability, all that fun stuff are completely dead for the time being. It's unfortunate, because I know my city's weak-rear end new BRT line is relying on some federal grants; I sincerely hope that stuff is all allocated and can't be revoked by the new administration. New projects will have to rely on state and local funding at best.

maybe we can convince Republicans that transit systems are actually militarily useful?

Sadly federal grants to improve air quality are also used to help fund mass transit, particularly express bus lines. If the EPA gets gutted i imagine the funding goes away as well for those lines, leaving them to either eat the difference or discontinue /reduce lines.

• Locked thread