Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Detroit, America's automaker of days past, shuttered the last of its old streetcar system in 1956. Some of the old lines were just crudely paved over- there's a few patches of Michigan Ave where the pavement has kinda crumbled a bit and you can see rusty old rails peeking out, even.

In the '70s and '80s, the city drew up plans for a new metropolitan light rail system, paid for with a mixture of local, state and federal funding, but after Reagan was elected the federal funding disappeared and Detroit ended up with the People Mover, which basically only sees heavy use when conventions and sports games are going on and the only parking available is several blocks away. It loops around downtown and connects to no residential areas. The only reason I've ever used it was the one time I went on a high school trip to the '07 auto show, and me and some buds snuck out and took the People Mover to Greektown for a bit. On its own, the People Mover is pretty dang useless.

A few years ago, plans were finally completed for a new transit system, the M-1 Line, and by some miracle it's actually gotten funding and is actually under construction. It's partially supported with federal grants and partially with money from the local business giants, which is why Quicken Loans just managed to get the project's name changed to 'Qline' a week ago. It's only a single line, but it'll connect Midtown and the Wayne State University area- one of the bright spots in Detroit's revitalization efforts- with Downtown, so at the very least it'll probably have a lot of college students ride it on the weekends.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2016/11/rta_proposal_results.html

The Metro Detroit/Southeast Michigan transit proposal failed. Detroit's home county of Wayne voted in favor of it, and my home county of Washtenaw voted for it, but Oakland County, to Detroit's north, barely voted no and Macomb County to the south very much voted no.

poo poo sucks, I've been yearning for a good commuter service for ages. :(

• Locked thread