Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yay, transportation thread. I'm a huge fan of biking in particular, it's not the best at any one metric (not as dense as walking/transit, not as fast/good for cargo as cars), but it does represent an extremely useful and fairly inexpensive middle ground.

quote:

people living in suburbs realizing that the suburbs are poo poo when it comes to doing anything other than raising kids
I'm not sure they're even very good at that. This got discussed a bit in the child independence thread, but the fact that we have all these spread-out, car-dominant suburbs has crippled kids' independence. Kids can maybe walk or bike to a friend's house in the neighborhood, that's about it. Whereas in places with good bike infrastructure like the Netherlands, or good transit like Japan, kids who are like 8 or 10 can actually get to lots of places of interest. I think this is part of why kids/college kids sometimes seem so coddled these days. (And no, this isn't a matter of the recurring historical meme of "rawr, kids these days don't have any respect for their elders")

quote:

even simple innovations like Google Maps can tell people exactly how to get places using public transit when it might have taken ages to build up the amount of knowledge necessary to use the system to its fullest extent.
I think this doesn't get enough play. Google Maps is pretty useful for driving, but it and similar apps are a total game changer for transit, in my opinion. I mean, if you're just taking the same route over and over, for work or something, it's not a huge deal, but for any kind of novel trip it's sooooo much easier.

quote:

- Seattle: Another fresh young face on the block, the Seattle system just opened its Capitol Hill and University of Washington stations, with a 1.6 mile/2.6km southern extension to Angle Lake opening in September and expanding even further north to open in 2021. It still really only has a single, long North-South line, though, and expanding further into Bellevue, West Seattle, Everett, and Tacoma will voters to approve the Sound Transit 3 referendum this November.

Seattle also just passed the Move Seattle proposition last November, a big levy that has a grab bag of transportation improvements: road repair/maintenance, expanded sort-of-BRT routes, more sidewalks, lots more bike lanes. On the eve of the vote, the proponents were feeling pretty down, the sentiment was that people were just tired of more taxes, but then they ended up winning 58-42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm sure they'll figure it out roughly the same way humans do: guess at where the lanes should be based on the size of the road and where other cars currently are.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PT6A posted:

Easier said than done. If they can't handle marginal road markings, how are they going to do that?
With sensors and math? I mean, small local streets often don't have striping at all and apparently the cars can already handle that.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Curvature of Earth posted:

Highly-regarded transit consultant Jarrett Walker would argue that if your transit systems goal is to actually maximize ridership, you concentrate on fewer high-frequency lines than low-frequency, spread-out lines.

If anything, this should make transit more popular in Edmonton, as focused, high-frequency transit lines are actually useful. Contrast this with once-an-hour, barely-used lines maintained solely so the city can claim their transit network has lots of "coverage", which teaches riders that public transit is slow, inconvenient and not very useful. "Goes everywhere" is useless if hardly anyone wants to go most of those places anyways.
Part of the issue is that in the states, we often treat transit more like a form of social welfare than a utility. "We have to make sure we can at least *some* transit to all lower-income people, since they can't afford to get around in a car the way God intended, those poor, pitiable souls :ohdear:"

This is also related to our terrible land use: it's relatively easy to get decent transit to further-out suburbs when you build densely. It's a lot harder if you sprawl out everywhere.

For example, here is Olching: https://www.google.com/maps/place/O...41e48add78b9780

This is a little town of 25k a couple miles outside the borders of Munich. The populated part of the city is surrounded by farms. If this was the states, transit there would probably be somewhere between bad and non-existent, right? But instead, they have an S-Bahn line that goes from the center of the town to the center of Munich in 24 minutes. It comes every 10 minutes during rush hour, and every 20 minutes outside of rush hour. Part of what makes that possible is that Germans in general invest in transit more than we do, but another part of it is that even though this is a little town surrounded by farms, almost everyone there lives within a mile of the train station, putting it within easy walking and biking distance.

Now, the way that benefits the poor, is that it means that even if you're pushed out further away from the city center into areas with cheaper housing, you still have good transit to get to the job center. You don't have to push your budget to the brink to afford a car and then suffer through rush hour traffic. It makes me so sad that we completely handicap our transit options here through our terrible, sprawly land use.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I just discovered Strong Towns a couple weeks ago. Awesome site! The articles about how sprawl literally works like a Ponzi scheme because it's so expensive to maintain were very enlightening. I especially liked that the fact that they used some real-life examples to illustrate how it works.

My Imaginary GF posted:

God I love transit orientated development. So much opportunity for contracting poo poo out --- Why the gently caress ain't communities already doing this poo poo? Why do I gotta start up and revive these initiatives?
I mean, some communities are. It skews towards the same bluer metros that are already better than average at transit in America.

As to why we're not doing more of it, or doing it better/faster...well, at this point it's kind of a novel thing in America. There are a lot of people who are like

quote:

buildings taller than 2/3 stories in MY neighborhood? But won't anyone think of the character??? :qqsay:
or

quote:

transit in my neighborhood? But that might bring colored folk POORS here!!! :bahgawd:
or

quote:

but...then those mooching apartment dwellers will take all the free parking! This is America dagnabbit!! :911: :patriot: :911:
And those people show up to the community meetings and get the developers and city planners to water down the plans, and pretty soon it's max 2 and a half story buildings next to the transit center and 3 parking spots per apartment and private cars get signal priority over trains at intersections.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 13, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Here are some common complaints about bike share:

- It loses money! Yes, just like every form of transit in the country. Not to mention that the same is true for infrastructure/maintenance/operations for cars.

- Hardly anyone uses it. It's definitely a niche, but it's a pretty cheap one. The number of trips is tiny compared to transit, but the cost is tiny too.

- It's used disproportionately by the affluent/white people! Since when is getting affluent white people out of their cars a bad thing? By this logic, we should have avoid building any transit stations in affluent neighborhoods, wouldn't want any of that government money going to the filthy rich! Besides, there are ways to fix this: cheaper passes for lower-income residents, a way to check out bikes that doesn't require credit cards, more outreach and stations in poorer communities, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

here is my issue with bikeshare: if you gonna spend money on something, spend it on part of a comprehensive plan. if you got a bikeshare and all your bikes have to cross highways like 20 times to get anywhere worth going, you got deeper issues than bikes.
Yeah I almost added a comment on that: often times problems with bike share are just problems with the general bike network. If your bike infrastructure sucks and you're not interested in improving it, then yes, bike share probably isn't a very good idea.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in my opinion we're already pretty screwed. street networks and land ownership/use, in the absence of cataclysmic events like land-erasing disasters or complete political revolution, tend to be locked in over long periods of time. a ton of virgin land was developed around american cities in the early 20th century for primarily automotive access. it would take sustained political and economic investment over many years to convert this fabric, one piece at a time, to something more pedestrian friendly, and given how we can't even commit to paying the necessary costs for automotive infrastructure...
It'll take a long time, but it's not unfixable. The Netherlands was very car dominant after WW2, they didn't start turning things around until the 70s. I think things in the US are slowly shifting towards being friendlier towards 'alternative' transportation.

One upside of wide roads is that there's plenty of room for protected bike lanes and bus/streetcar-only lanes, if you have the political will. You could even go as extreme this proposal for SLC and just put stuff in the middle of your absurdly wide roads. Behold!

Neat, except for the dumb super sharrow in the mock.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Popular Thug Drink posted:

just to be clear what i refer to as the land use-transportation framework is largely conceptual and about relationships between land and structure uses and how people navigate between them. this is in part determined by the built environment (what structures actually exist right now at this place and time) but also in part on things like land ownership and rights of way, which tend to be relatively permanent. look at london for example, which burned to the ground ~350 years ago but retained a largely medival-ish road network and building/street relationships when rebuilt because that was the path of least resistance. it takes a napoleon to enable a hausmann, even bob moses tried to tamper with the lu-tran of nyc and he was eventually turned out by neighborhood activists
The REALLY sprawly suburban/exurban areas might be boned. But there are a lot of places that are currently car dominated that wouldn't be super hard to change. If you take a street like El Camino in the south SF bay area, for example: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.352...!7i13312!8i6656

You don't have to rip the whole thing up to fix it. Right now it's mostly 3 wide lanes each way with street parking (or enough space for street parking). Narrow lanes slightly to reduce average speeds and use that space to extend the sidewalks on each side a couple feet, replace street parking space with protected bike lanes, replace one general lane each way in the center with a transit-only lane, get rid of setback and minimum parking requirements for new developments, encourage mixed-use development with height limit bonuses. Bam, done! I mean, it wouldn't be perfect, but it'd be about a million times better than what we have right now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

We are building places. The problem is that we all want the same things, yet there is only political will within very narrow areas to provide them.

Therefore, any community which provides the political will for it will be utilized and may increase its human capital capture rate.
Even among cities that are building, they're building more only within fairly limited areas. Seattle in 2015, for example, permitted ~17 new units per 1,000 residents, a very high rate, more than double DC or Portland and quadruple that of SF. But Seattle is still mostly building in existing high-density areas (like downtown) or a handful of 'urban villages' designated across the city. The majority of residential space remains zoned for very low-density detached single-family homes, which are treated as practically sacrosanct.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PT6A posted:

On the subject of bikeshares, I still haven't seen a good solution to the fact that there's no infrastructure to provide helmet rentals (which would be gross anyway). Maybe I'm taking the indoctrination of my childhood too seriously, but that seems like an irresponsible thing.
Helmets are generally seen as necessary in America because our bike infrastructure is horrible. If you look at places with high bike rates like Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, etc. practically nobody wears helmets and it's fine.

nm posted:

Generally, bike share bikes have a much lower rate of death than cyclists in general despite the helmet issue. I think in large part it has to do with speed. Bike share bikes are heavy and geared to cruise at 10mph, not the 20 mph of a road bike.p
Yes, apparently there have been literally 0 bike share deaths in the US so far, so I'd chalk up the lack of helmets as 'not really a problem': http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/04/why-bike-share-is-really-very-safe/476316/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PT6A posted:

I don't think it really has to do with the bike infrastructure.
Infrastructure and general culture, yes.

quote:

Even with good infrastructure, accidents happen. I ended up with a concussion when I was a kid, due to another cyclist basically crashing into me as I was stopped. I can't remember if I was wearing a helmet, but I was either lucky to have been wearing a helmet (because I would've got much worse than a concussion) or I should've been wearing a helmet, to prevent the concussion.
Well I'm not saying that wearing a helmet is a bad idea even in those places. But it's safe enough, or at least feels safe enough, to bike around without one that most people don't feel that it's necessary, similarly to how people don't drive around wearing body armor even though driving can be quite dangerous.

Of course, even when driving was more dangerous, people still drove and didn't do much about it. It's interesting how people can be terrified of some rare dangers like sharks or terrorism or earthquakes, and completely accepting of more common ones like traffic deaths.

Neon Belly posted:

Just read a neat piece on the structuring of suburban office parks and company's continued resilience to change:

Why Are America's Most Innovative Companies Still Stuck in 1950s Suburbia?

I've always thought it weird how the offices of Apple, Google, and the likes, are cooped up in suburbs that only seem to have access through large highways.
The bay area is kind of weird that way. Where Google and Apple are, the only really big city around is SF, which besides being a good 30 miles away, seems to hate growth and development, and is in general kind of dysfunctional. I don't blame them for not moving there; I currently work at Google in Mountain View, and I don't think I'd like working in SF. And moving even further away would be practically suicide for a company like that.

The funny thing is that Amazon chose the other way, setting up shop close to downtown Seattle starting like 2010 or so, and I've seen a bunch of people on the Seattle subreddit complain about that, saying that it was selfish of Amazon to do and they should've set up a suburban campus like MS.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 15, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

The article also hints at how hosed up cities are because hotshots with money work in the suburbs. If you're driving to work, you never interact with your city. Why should someone who lives in City A and drives to Campus B give a poo poo about the public transit of City A?
Because they still live in City A? Lots of techies work in Silicon Valley and live in SF. They definitely care about transit; the whole reason they live so far away with a nightmarish commute is that they want to live in a 'real city', and one of the things they like is decent transit. Most young techies with money are fairly pro-development and would love to see more investment into good public transportation.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Apple's new donut-campus costs $5 billion, which is more than the cost of the new World Trade Center in the middle of loving Manhattan.

Tech company headquarters are built in suburbia because their founders/executives are born-and-bred suburbanites. For them, suburbia is the default. It has nothing do with cost and everything to do with uncritically embracing the system they're most familiar with.
Counterpoint: no. You haven't shown this to be the case. One of the biggest isn't even in suburbia, and the bay area would be almost impossible for a company like Apple or Google to put their HQ in a real city, where would it even go? SF, the city that already hates techies and development?

Also, Google has been pushing as hard as it possibly can for dense housing right on top of their corporate campus in Mountain View; the new zoning changes that went in the other week allow for buildings up to twelve stories in the center of the development (at the edges I think the cap is like 4 or 5 stories). Twelve story apartment complexes don't exactly scream "suburbia". Google is also explicitly aiming to make the area where they're located (Palo Alto/Mountain View/Sunnyvale) more Copenhagen-like in its bike-friendliness, which is hardly a suburban quality in America: http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/06/googles-new-bike-plan-wants-silicon-valley-to-be-more-like-copenhagen/395885/

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 19, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ardennes posted:

In all honesty I spent quite a bit of time around the Santa Clara valley, and public transportation there is just rather terrible to be honest and barely better than Greater Los Angeles.
Yeah it sucks. It's slowly getting better with Caltrain in the process of electrifying and BART slowly making its way down through the east bay down to SJ, but it's slow going. The VTA wants to create center-running BRT (along with protected bike lanes) down El Camino but some of the cities have basically voted it down I think.

quote:

I guess better density is a okay thing, but ultimately the vast majority of those employees are going to be in cars and I doubt bike lanes almost no one is going to use is going to change. I mean by and large as far as the physical surrounding of that area, it really doesn't look or work that differently than Orange County.
I think this is unreasonably pessimistic. For Google's HQ, 9% of workers currently bike to work, and 21% of those that live within 9 miles bike to work. Those are incredibly high rates, especially when you consider that most bike infrastructure in the area, except for the nearby trails (which are excellent), is garbage. And already, less than half of Googlers there drive to work alone. Part of that is biking, but of course a bigger part is the extremely extensive network of shuttles that Google runs all over the place.

Plus, the whole idea of throwing in a bunch of high density housing there is that people who live < 1 mile away probably aren't gonna drive. Yes, ultimately Google is limited in what they can do if the surrounding local governments don't get their act together with decent transit, but they're clearly trying very hard.

quote:

That said, If anything the Apple HQ really make even sense because the only public transportation around it is a local bus line, and it literally faces single family dwellings. It really looks like a HQ some alien overlord just dropped down from space on a random lot with zero thought about anything around it. The 280 is already a parking lot anyway, I guess ten thousand more cars isn't going to hurt.
Apple is more reclusive, so it fits that they're building a campus that's not really integrated into anything around it.

edit: I can't get over how defeatist "I doubt bike lanes almost no one is going to use is going to change" is. Like, I can understand how people might say that not many people are going to ever bike in hilly and rainy Seattle, or very hilly SF, but we're talking about a place that is largely flat and has about as close to perfect weather for biking as you could ask for. Amsterdam's climate sucks for biking compared to the south bay: colder, windier, wetter.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 20, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The issue here is that even during the seventies, Amsterdam had the building blocks to make that transformation possible including just the density itself compared to the Santa Clara valley which by and large is more or less standard California issue suburbia. It took the Dutch decades to fix Amsterdam, how long will it take to fix a place that was never intended to be livable for people without cars?
Most of the Santa Clara Valley has ok density, certainly enough for at least bikes to work easily, since bikes don't depend on high density as much as walking or transit. The Mountain View/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara area has about the same population density as Seattle, San Jose is just a bit behind that.

The problem is that yes, the streets have been designed around cars. How long would it take to fix? Depends on the political will. There are already a decent number of painted bike lanes around, just upgrading them to protected would make a huge difference, you could probably do most of that in a few years if you were really serious about it. Lowering speed limits (e.g. to 20 mph in residential areas or ped/bike-oriented streets) could also be be done very quickly if you wanted it. Other upgrades, like protected intersections, new BRT/rail, extended sidewalks, etc. would take longer.

quote:

There are some American cities that did turn around, like Portland. However, if you talk about a city like Portland, most people st commute to work by car on a road system developed for about half the amount of people and its local government is struggling to find money to find any alternative.
It's also struggling just to support the road system. We seem to have lost our appetite for investing in infrastructure, but we haven't lost our appetite for complaining about it.

edit: developers are actually helping this now btw. For example, this parking lot wasteland* near where I live at the corner of Lawrence and El Camino on the border of Santa Clara and Sunnyvale is now being redeveloped into a big mixed-use spot.

From this

to this

There's a similar mixed-use development currently under construction near Lawrence Caltrain station, and another one that I think is in the works for kitty corner the one in the picture above. This kind of density and building makes it much easier to support other modes of transportation. I'm glad that mixed-use is finally starting to catch on around here.

* this parking lot was almost always like 80-90% empty (basically the same as in this particular satellite shot), such a huge waste in an area with such expensive land.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 24, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PT6A posted:

Four bottles is easy as pie. I'm thinking a case of wine -- that's a prick to carry over a kilometre or so. Most of the liquor stores around here have delivery services for such things, which is good (because a large delivery van can make multiple pickups and dropoffs in a single trip, increasing efficiency) but it does require loading zone availability to be efficient on both ends. Long-term parking fucks everything up.
A case of wine doesn't sound too hard to carry on bike with a large basket, or a rack with cables. Lots of people in bike-friendly cities do grocery shopping on bikes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PT6A posted:

A very large basket indeed, assuming you have a case of 12 bottles. And it doesn't scale, whereas a delivery van can carry tens of cases of wine. I do grocery shopping on foot and carry everything home on a regular basis. A case of wine is way heavier and more awkward than a few bags of groceries.
Eh, I carry my four year old on my road bike and it's not so bad, he probably weighs a similar amount to a case of wine.

quote:

Besides which, my original point was about the fact there's good reasons for loading zones to exist when compared with parking spots in general, just like commercial vehicles are often granted access to streets that are otherwise restricted. Sometimes a motor vehicle really is the best tool for the job, and by removing personal motor vehicles as a common means of just getting from point A to point B and staying for a while, we can make those other motor vehicles even more efficient.
Sure, I think we agree there. There are still lots of cases even in dense urban areas where cars make sense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PT6A posted:

Yes, but he's an usually convenient shape for carrying on a bicycle, almost as if bicycles were designed for carrying people.
???

Pretty sure my road bike wasn't designed to carry an adult AND a little person at the same time. You need special attachments for that, same as in your example. I'm sure there are larger racks that would work for that, e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Classique-Cargo-Front-Rack/dp/B00B135SSE/

quote:

EDIT: Also, I think congestion charging in city centres and toll roads in general would be a good thing. You want the convenience of a car? Good, then you can drat well pay for it.
For sure. One of the most obvious things that causes congestion is that you pay the same (via gas tax) to occupy a road in the middle of Manhattan as you do to occupy a rural road in upstate New York, even though the land in Manhattan is like 1000x as valuable. If space somewhere is limited, the most obvious fix is to charge more money for using it, and it especially makes sense in any area that has decent transit (so people have a reasonable alternative to driving).

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 26, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Whenever someone mentions that cars are useful for some things in these threads someone needs to chime in that it's perfectly feasible to move that futon on a bike no probs like the idea that the only other possibility from using cars for everything is no cars.
That's because many Americans assume that transporting more than a backpacks' worth of goods requires a car, and therefore cars everywhere all the time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Cities are dogshit places to live and we oughta find a way to make suburbanism work.
Suburbs are okay, it's sprawly car-dependent suburbs that suck. Plenty of places in the world that have little suburban towns that are still walkable, with good commuter transit to a major city.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 1, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Those ones are way too expensive for actual working class people to live in, much like everything else in the cities.
Probably because we have virtually none of those. In a country with saner housing and transit policies, they'd be cheaper than sprawly suburbs, not more expensive.

Kalman posted:

That's because we have like five of them total so they're just as in demand. If most suburbs were built that way they wouldn't be so expensive to live in.
Yes. I've been looking at little towns like Olching just outside of Munich recently because I'm transferring there later this year. Lots of little medium-density towns with reasonable housing prices and good transit to the center of Munich.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Direct comparisons are hard. Walkable burbs will be denser than sprawly ones, so lots will be smaller and there will be fewer detached homes, more duplexes/triplexes/townhomes/etc. Plus, a suburb being transit-oriented by definition means it's part of a large metro, so it's less likely to be economically depressed.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Two, and they combine into one during the early morning and evening.

The town next door is only slightly bigger population-wise but has nine bus lines, and is generally better in every way to my hometown's (e.g. free to use, automatic announcements for every stop, real-time tracking). To be fair, they're a classic college town, while we're a bargain-priced blue-collar suburb.
Albany and Corvallis?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I think any fare system with physical gates is a bad one. Flow and service are so much more important than the pennies lost in fare avoidance. I love the gateless system the dutch use. Tap in at the start of your trip, tap out at the end. Works on just about every bus, metro, tram, and train in the whole country. You can get on a bus in one city, go to the train station, take a train to another city, ride a tram to your destination, all with one easy to use card.
Yeah in Munich there aren't any gates, and there doesn't seem to even be anything to tap. The only 'check' is that fare inspectors can ask to see your ticket. This has happened to me a few times in the month and a half I've been here, all on the same non-standard line though. Being able to just keep a monthly ticket in my pocket and never worry about anything else owns.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

The worst thing about DC metro from a tourist's POV are the loving incomprehensible fares and corresponding ticket machines. I even had to try to explaim it to some locals (well, Americans, at least). In think Munich had something similar, except also in German, so there I just gave up and just drove straight to the center. God bless NYC and its one ticket one ride.
Munich's actual system for fares is pretty straightforward (stops are divided into rings, the cost of a ticket/pass is based on the number of rings it covers), but the interface for it on the ticket machines is a UX abomination, even when using the English option. Super confusing to figure out, and you often can't hit the 'back' button without completely canceling the entire transaction.

Like, if you want a weekly pass that covers rings 1 - 4 (so, all of Munich proper), there is no option to directly select that. Instead you gotta select two stops that are in the start and end rings, and I think it may even block you from doing so if the stop you're physically at isn't one of the two.

Oh yeah and for some reason the ticket machines vary in what types of payment they accept. Some accept cash and German debit cards and credit cards, some accept only the cash and debit, some only cash, and they even vary in which bills they're currently accepting. It's incredible how poorly thought out everything is.

tl;dr the ticket machines' UX there makes Nintendo's eShop design look smart and streamlined by comparison

Cicero fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Measure B in Santa Clara County (south sf bay area) also passed. While it also included money for freeways/expressways, it had more money for transit, and a good chunk for bike/walk improvments.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/2016/11/09/measure-b--winning-measure-a-just-squeaking-by

• Locked thread