Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cool, email sent :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Chichevache posted:

I got my horn and fan mixed up when I did my radiator swap. *bike gets hot* BLAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thats ok, when you hear the horn just press the button to turn the fan on

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thank god for lanesplitting.

CHP posted:

Aug 17 2016 7:28AM [28] A24-085M PER 24-85M 4 X 4 FT HOLE W/ VOID UNDER REBAR THAT GOES DWN 5-8 FT #3 LN IS A SINK HOLE UNDER THE FWY / CAN LOOK FWY 8 FT DWN - THIS IS ON BORDER BTWN RWC AND SJ ON BOTTOM OF RAMP / HUGE VOID
Aug 17 2016 7:24AM [24] A24-085M NEED DOT SUPERVISOR - 5-6 PEICES OF REBAR EXPOSED and CONCRETE ASPHALT MIXTURE IS MISSING DIVERTING TRFC OO #3 / 1-2 LN OPEN

said "huge void" from my helmet cam:

This brought traffic down to one lane. whee.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Someday I will be cool enough to take my BMW to learn how to wrench beyond the basics and not pay the extraordinary fees* at BMW dealerships. Still my bike is gonna need new front tire, chain and rear sprocket soonish.

*(It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be)

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

mad.radhu posted:

Thank god for lanesplitting.

said "huge void" from my helmet cam:

This brought traffic down to one lane. whee.

Where is this?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

pokie posted:

Where is this?

approximately: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3531825,-122.0607353,16.83z

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_30257904/sunnyvale-sinkhole-highway-85-disrupts-morning-commute

The road was reopened fully by the time I commuted home, it seemed fairly patched up. Or as patched up as roads get around here. I give it six months.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 18, 2016

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
:siren:

quote:

The California Highway Patrol and San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office, with the assistance of the Burlingame, Brisbane and Foster City Police Departments, will be conducting a Saturation
Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP), operation on Saturday, August 20, 2016, with focused enforcement on collision causing factors involving motorists, motorcyclist and bicyclists.

The focus of the enforcement will be in the unincorporated areas of SR35 and SR84, locally known as Kings Mountain, Sky Londa, and La Honda. The hours of this operation will be from 8:00 am
to 5:00

Beware!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ugh. I am going to a party in Santa Cruz tomorrow and wanted to take 84->35 back. Ah well, hwy 9 is good too :F

Thanks for the warning.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Soooo "collision causing factors" means "any motorcyclists riding slightly aggressively" I assume.

It'd be nice if they would also pull over cars who cross the double yellow and cyclists who weave in the lane without checking their blind spots.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Soooo "collision causing factors" means "any motorcyclists riding slightly aggressively" I assume.

It'd be nice if they would also pull over cars who cross the double yellow and cyclists who weave in the lane without checking their blind spots.

My hope is they ticket bicyclists who are in the middle of the lane around a blind corner going 4mph uphill.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

My hope is they ticket bicyclists who are in the middle of the lane around a blind corner going 4mph uphill.

Come on man, you gotta share the road! :barf:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Whatever, pedestrians and cyclists can have the tarmac. I want the ditches and stairs.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I braved 84 to 35 on my way back from S Cruz today. I saw may be 5 cops. A couple next to 1 and 84 intersection and 2 or 3 at Alice's. One of them pulled a car over after pinging it with a radar gun. All of 35 was clear to Saratoga from there.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife is leaving tomorrow on a solo ride to SF to spend a week at the office. Probably getting to Coos Bay tomorrow, Fort Bragg Sunday, and SF Monday. First couple days will be a schlep. She wanted to know if there were any must-see sights or detours between Fort Bragg and SF since that's only a 170 mile day on 1.

e: I am super jealous right now

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 2, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

imma be at the SF comic con nerding the gently caress out and studying. im taking the bart though.....

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

My wife is leaving tomorrow on a solo ride to SF to spend a week at the office. Probably getting to Coos Bay tomorrow, Fort Bragg Sunday, and SF Monday. First couple days will be a schlep. She wanted to know if there were any must-see sights or detours between Fort Bragg and SF since that's only a 170 mile day on 1.

e: I am super jealous right now

Those 170 miles could take most of the day, as 1 can be pretty slow going on the weekend. Point Reyes Lighthouse is pretty cool, but otherwise it's pretty empty out there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can loop between 1 and 101 basically forever on beautiful roads through there. If she's interested in the scenic route, boy could I build a route for her.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

NeuralSpark posted:

Those 170 miles could take most of the day, as 1 can be pretty slow going on the weekend. Point Reyes Lighthouse is pretty cool, but otherwise it's pretty empty out there.

That's the idea with a nice detour. If it's gonna take a day, might as well enjoy it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well 35 between Half Moon Bay and Alice's was a total shitshow today. It was overcast but warm enough in the city, so I decided to do a test ride down the peninsula after doing some work on the bike. There's apparently some kind of art show up on top of the mountain, though, so basically the entire length of 35 was packed with cars parked on the shoulders, people wrapped up in blankets randomly wandering across the road, and Priuses suddenly slamming to a a stop because Is That A Space? I Think I Saw A Space!

Plus, while it wasn't exactly raining, the coastal mist coming over the ridge was so dense up top that anything facing forwards gets soaked regardless. Blech

Bike runs great though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Here's a neat ride I went on today:

Map link

Get to Hollister via 101 and 25 and continue through picturesque rolling hills between 101 and I-5 past East entrance to Pinnacles National Park (feel free to make a pit stop - it's gorgeous). The road varies between gentle curves, long straight highway and some easy twisties. The traffic is very light, so you can go very fast with little danger if you wish. There is no gas between Tres Pinos and King City - make sure to load up. Road quality is great. You can get gas for the return trip at the linked destination and either travel back up 25 or 101. Trip time from San Jose and back without excessive speeding is about 5 hours. A variation suggested to me by locals is going east at 198 fork to Coalingas and taking Los Gatos Creek Road back to 25.

No pics since phone battery burst on the trip.

Also, anyone want to do a small group ride? I have a pretty open schedule right now (unfortunately) and can do weekdays and weekends.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm open to a group ride if everyone's cool with the whole "ride your own ride" thing and is mature. No one pushing people, outriding sight-lines, etc. I wouldn't expect that to be much of a problem with this forum, but eh, you know. Had a couple of lovely experiences before. Racing is best left to the track, and group rides should be about enjoying a cool change of scenery in a spirited manner IMO.

I have weekends and Fridays available for the most part

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'll probably be back in the Bay in December. I've never done a group ride. We can all make fun of my chicken strips and poorly color coordinated gear.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

I have weekends and Fridays available for the most part

Interested in a chill ride this Friday, before the weekend rains? You can contact me at removed

pokie fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 19, 2016

dema
Aug 13, 2006

pokie posted:

Here's a neat ride I went on today:

Map link

This is pretty great. Putting it on the list.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Dealer fixed the starter motor on my MV... So I am ready for rides again if anyone is interested.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
So what's the secret to not having somebody knock over your bike in this town? I live in the outer richmond and always try to park in a spot no car would fit and put on a cover. Today I came home after 3 days out of town to see my bike tipped over for the second time in 4 months. Luckily it wasn't down for long and just smoked a little when I started it up, but I've got to replace bar ends that I just put on in the past two weeks.

People don't even leave notes :smith:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Off-street parking.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Park it on its side.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
its just the joys of living here. my bike has been knocked once or twice, but lol the truck gets hit all the loving time.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went on a little rainy trip from Saratoga down 9 to 35 intersection. 9 entrance is taped over and closed. There are multiple construction crews on the preceding stretch picking up fallen trees. The route is littered with leaves and dirt as perhaps expected, but also occasional large rocks and random plastic car parts. Ride carefully, fellow goons.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

84 between Woodside and Skyline is closed right now. Apparently part of the road slid out.

Might make for less traffic on 84 between Skyline and 1 this weekend. I'm sure it's super dirty though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I was up there the day before yesterday and the guy putting up the barriers said there was a sinkhole and multiple trees down across the road.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, I was up there the day before yesterday and the guy putting up the barriers said there was a sinkhole and multiple trees down across the road.

i like the new ~cyberpunk~ tag! :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Drop by my place tomorrow early afternoon if you wanna see supermotos and the 1290 smr. I'll be rebuilding the CBX. Pm or post contact info here for deets.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Was up there today. Looks like they have it single lane. Best to avoid.

Skyline was a total mess and there were at least two San Mateo County Sheriffs on patrol. Still had a fantastic ride though.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

5 seconds in paint

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
seeing the sun out again gets me all hyped up for spring. I'm a huge wuss and don't really want to go ride skyline until it's a little warmer

ElMaligno posted:

5 seconds in paint

nice

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 15, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Niles canyon was muddy in spots. oh so much fun

ElMaligno posted:

5 seconds in paint

bahaha yesssss

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

Drop by my place tomorrow early afternoon if you wanna see supermotos and the 1290 smr. I'll be rebuilding the CBX. Pm or post contact info here for deets.

This was a good fun time. Thanks for inviting us and letting me try the Super Duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

hey!! so I'm new to the area, moved here this past weekend. if the rain isn't too bad tomorrow I was thinking I might go out and ride around, maybe check out PCH or whatever else. would be super stoked to have some riding friends out here!!

if the weather sucks tomorrow and the rest of the week like it's forecast to, definitely some Saturday in the near future! :sun: