Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Stultus Maximus posted:

How could you forget Tom Petty?

Best movie cameo ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReidRansom posted:

The USPS might, in this case, should the cops involved be found to have acted unlawfully. They take the mail pretty seriously.

Yeah, don't gently caress with the Postal Inspection Service.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
On a side note, have there been any notable political scandals in history with Congressional interference with the USPS? Like some wayward Congressman intercepting mail meant for someone else and reading it on the floor of the Senate?

I'm suddenly intrigued by USPS scandals and conspiracies. :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 1, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

On a side note, have there been any notable political scandals in history with Congressional interference with the USPS? Like some wayward Congressman intercepting mail meant for someone else and reading it on the floor of the Senate?

I'm suddenly intrigued by USPS scandals and conspiracies. :f5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Post_Office_scandal

It's more of a typical political money scandal wrapped in a post office but there you have it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

FAUXTON posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Post_Office_scandal

It's more of a typical political money scandal wrapped in a post office but there you have it.

A Congressman tried to launder money through stamps? That's pretty ballsy (and stupid). It's also weird that Clinton pardoned the guy at the end of his term in office in 2000.

Speaking of Clinton-era money scandals, I actually was with Bob Ney of Ohio when I studied abroad in India in college. He was doing some kind of radio related business in Dharamsala, I'm not sure why there of all places.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Had an interesting thought today, and put in a little legwork to try and come up with an answer.

The size of the U.S. national debt is well-known, and it's just as widely known that a fair chunk of it is owned by foreign countries, the largest percentage by China (currently. It seesaws back and forth with Japan). This gets blown up a lot, of course, into China owning the US via the strings of debt. We'll set aside how stupid and wrong that is, for the moment.

What isn't as widely known is how big China's national debt is, or who owns THAT. There's estimates, but not all the numbers agree. This is largely due to most of China's debt being corporate, which, due to the way their economy operates, actually makes it internally-held, just like the U.S.'s debt (a rough ratio of 2/3 internal to 1/3 foreign). China, however, appears to be much more largely internal, with only about 1.5-2 trillion (the most current numbers dating to last summer or so) being held externally and that number varying wildly since most of it is short-term.

What I can't figure out is who's holding all of that, and I'm wondering just how much might be in the hands of the U.S...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's incorrect. Most of our debt is to ourselves.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah. The creditor listing of the US is approximately as follows:

#1 - US Citizens/Businesses
#2 - US Government
#3 - Everyone else (1+2 is much, much bigger than 3)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, China is merely the largest foreign holder. The Social Security Trust Fund is currently the largest single holder of US Sovereign debt.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Yep, less than 20% of our debt is held by foreign entities

Redeye Flight posted:

What I can't figure out is who's holding all of that, and I'm wondering just how much might be in the hands of the U.S...

insane person detected

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But that doesn't sound like a huge, sinister, existential problem at all?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think he knows all of that.

I think he's trying to puzzle out which foreign entities hold Chinese national debt. If I understand it right though, Chinese investment in treasury bonds is substantial solely because of the trade balance that they've been maintaining. The US isn't in a similar position.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Right. The way it reads to me is:

We have a lot of debt. A fair amount of that debt (I would say 20% is a fair amount) is owned by foreigners. Of that debt, most is China.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Redeye Flight posted:

Had an interesting thought today, and put in a little legwork to try and come up with an answer.

The size of the U.S. national debt is well-known, and it's just as widely known that a fair chunk of it is owned by foreign countries, the largest percentage by China (currently. It seesaws back and forth with Japan). This gets blown up a lot, of course, into China owning the US via the strings of debt. We'll set aside how stupid and wrong that is, for the moment.

What isn't as widely known is how big China's national debt is, or who owns THAT. There's estimates, but not all the numbers agree. This is largely due to most of China's debt being corporate, which, due to the way their economy operates, actually makes it internally-held, just like the U.S.'s debt (a rough ratio of 2/3 internal to 1/3 foreign). China, however, appears to be much more largely internal, with only about 1.5-2 trillion (the most current numbers dating to last summer or so) being held externally and that number varying wildly since most of it is short-term.

89 cents on the dollar (US held foreign debt/Foreign-held US debt) as of 2012.

That has probably grown since, but it should suffice to say "they owe us about as much as we owe them"

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Morrow posted:

When the Federal Government collapses into anarchy and America devolves into a Mad Max wasteland, the USPS will still deliver the mail.

I'm not joking.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Only bad thing about us debt is the lovely cartoons made because of it.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Boon posted:

If I understand it right though, Chinese investment in treasury bonds is substantial solely because of the trade balance that they've been maintaining. The US isn't in a similar position.

Chinese national debt is weirder than that. Most of the biggest corporations in China are run by the state. Most of the banks are also run by the state. So you wind up with situations like that thing with Sinosteel -- they were going to go bankrupt, until the state ordered the state-owned banks to extend further loans to the state-owned company, allowing said company to continue servicing its previous debt to the state.

In other words, most of the Chinese national debt is effectively manifesting as corporate and financial debt, rather than via government bonds. The assumption is that the government will guarantee the debts of its state-owned enterprises, just like it would with official government debt. If this ever turns out not to be the case, the Chinese economy will implode.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I don't pretend to understand the workings of the Chinese economy, I was referring to their investment in US treasury bonds. The way I understand it, they carry huge forex reserves in order to maintain their manufacturing output, those reserves are then reinvested into the relative safety of treasuries.

I'd be curious to know if you have any good reading on either topic though!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
HB1523 Religious Discrimination Bill is held on a Motion to Reconsider for Monday. The vote today was 69 for, 45 against. I'd let my rep know how I feel but I'm one of the lucky few whose rep feels how I do.

:heritage:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
69 for has a certain something about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

But that doesn't sound like a huge, sinister, existential problem at all?
Exactly. You aren't gonna cut welfare for poors and blacks on THAT kind of a topic!

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

I'm definitely not an expert on the Chinese economy either; I just occasionally work with some people who track patterns of global investment in Chinese state-owned-enterprises.

For an overview of how China uses the treasury bonds, this seems pretty solid. It's worth noting that the Chinese sold off a huge amount of treasury bonds late last year; that wasn't so much as part of a long-term financial policy, it was because their economy was wobbling and they needed some liquidity in a hurry.

For a somewhat more technical summary of how China handles its own internal debt, this is one of the better analyses I've seen.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

A Congressman tried to launder money through stamps? That's pretty ballsy (and stupid). It's also weird that Clinton pardoned the guy at the end of his term in office in 2000.

Speaking of Clinton-era money scandals, I actually was with Bob Ney of Ohio when I studied abroad in India in college. He was doing some kind of radio related business in Dharamsala, I'm not sure why there of all places.

If he's a Buddhist, that's a major spot for monks and practitioners.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Lots of congressmen and staffers laundered money through the Congressional Post Office. Which is separate from the USPS. Every service on the Capitol operates directly under Congress, and so is directly under Congress's thumb.

So when someone ordered a bunch of stamps through the office account, took a few sheets back to the post office and said "We over ordered stamps, can you give me a refund? Cash is fine." anybody who wanted a job tomorrow didn't ask any questions.

At least until the early 90's when a plucky Representative by the name of Newton Gingrich made a crusade of cleaning up Congress that he rode into the Speaker's chair.

So some might speculate that that pardon had a personal bias behind it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tobermory posted:

I'm definitely not an expert on the Chinese economy either; I just occasionally work with some people who track patterns of global investment in Chinese state-owned-enterprises.

For an overview of how China uses the treasury bonds, this seems pretty solid. It's worth noting that the Chinese sold off a huge amount of treasury bonds late last year; that wasn't so much as part of a long-term financial policy, it was because their economy was wobbling and they needed some liquidity in a hurry.

For a somewhat more technical summary of how China handles its own internal debt, this is one of the better analyses I've seen.

It's still wobbling. Because they spent years lying about the growth figures, and now it's coming home to roost.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How seriously should we take Obama's nuclear speech to heart?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yeah, no, sorry if I was unclear. I'm well aware that the US debt is mostly held by internal entities (primarily the Social Security fund)--I included that in the post but I guess I hosed up making that clear (that was what the 2/3 internal to 1/3 foreign meant). I was indeed trying to puzzle out who're the primary holders of China's external debt, in the same way that China and Japan currently hold 8 and 7 percent of ours, approximate.

FAUXTON posted:

89 cents on the dollar (US held foreign debt/Foreign-held US debt) as of 2012.

That has probably grown since, but it should suffice to say "they owe us about as much as we owe them"

Rad, thanks. Not sure why I couldn't find that.

Mostly I thought it would be an interesting thought exercise for next time I run across someone who's freaking out about the concept. Glad to see that someone's run the numbers.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Of all the things to criticize Obama for, twitter use seems pretty low on the totes pole.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 1, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Link?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

What are you scared of this time?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

Of all the things to criticize Obama for, twitter use seems pretty low on the totes pole.

Pretend this:

just replace everything with Obama.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Rygar201 posted:

Here's the full quote. Still pretty stupid, even in context.

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/715996927331069954

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Where's the million dead civilians emoji

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/YaelTAbouhalkah/status/716005845511835650

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ask and you shall recieve.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SquadronROE posted:

Right. The way it reads to me is:

We have a lot of debt. A fair amount of that debt (I would say 20% is a fair amount) is owned by foreigners. Of that debt, most is China.

Oh yeah, that was another thing I remember about Bob Ney from my time spent with him. He was really obsessed about how we gave away our bargaining chip by allowing them favored nation trade status with the WTO. He was a nice guy otherwise.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 1, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

I think Kansas just needs to be put down, at this point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A nice supercut of Senator Spaceman Bill asking questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-36yQgVYpLQ

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Lotka Volterra posted:

I think Kansas just needs to be put down, at this point.

Earth's on it bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

(1) He's not wrong

(2) He's right to talk about how the Iran deal was a good thing regarding nuclear proliferation.

• Locked thread