Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus christ can the regular season be over yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hawks bad, Cats good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like the Flyers' chances, but also fully expect them to disappoint me in new and fascinating ways, so this should be a fun month.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Bruins have been bad this year but I really hope they make the playoffs as #3 Atlantic or WC1. Boston tends to play very well against the Florida teams for whatever reason. It would not surprise me in the least if the Bruins managed to get to the ECF despite being "just ok" by virtue of getting to play Florida and Tampa, theoretically, in rounds 1 and 2.

That said, I'm about 95% sure that Boston is going to gently caress up in the last five games and miss the playoffs by like 1 point again.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's amazing to me how there's only one team in the East having clinched a playoff spot so far while the West is down to the two wild card spots.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwDvF0NtgdU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

quote:

Those emails have managed to turn me off hockey way harder than having to endure the Canucks this season. What's the point of watching as a fan when it's confirmed that the league is run by vindictive morons. It's really dispiriting.

I have bad news for you about the entire world

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Elwood Cuse posted:

Would like to see a fancystats comparison to now and when they went 15-0 in March 2013, because we all saw what good that ended up doing them.

I'm not saying you're doing this but people get way too panicky about their team peaking too early before the playoffs. That doesn't matter. If anything it's a good omen that you're playing that well, unless you're getting unsustainably lucky.

When the Pens won the Cup in 09 they went something like 19-4 down the stretch before the playoffs started. They were also a possession beast. They are that now as well and I legitimately believe they have a chance to win the cup now. If they keep possessing the puck like they are and manage to cobble together a functioning powerplay then they can beat anyone.

e: In related news any Wings loss moving forward (even an OTL) will officially clinch the Pens a playoff spot. If the Rangers/Panthers get at least a point and the Wings lose a game in regulation that would clinch for those teams as well.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 1, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Success in the playoffs depends about 60% on health, 30% on your goalie being hot and 10% everything else

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's amazing to me how there's only one team in the East having clinched a playoff spot so far while the West is down to the two wild card spots.

why is that amazing? The West has more top-end teams than the East, but they also have more garbage teams at the bottom, there aren't really any borderline teams in the West. It's mostly divided between "Real Good" and "poo poo". On the other hand, the East has maybe 2-3 top-end teams, a few stinkers, and a lot of middling teams that are of similar quality. It makes sense that playoff spots haven't been clinched yet.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Ghostbear is dead haha april fools here is a joke about a player suffering serious injury because we are not sociopaths.

http://www.letsgoflyers.net/2016/04/01/breaking-shayne-gostisbehere-out-for-remainder-of-/

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I see the Rangers have decided that they want to lose their way into the WC1 spot so they can face the Panthers instead of the Penguins in the first round.

Good strategy IMO.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Robby Fabbri looked like he hosed up his knee pretty badly the other night but apparently it's not that bad and he can start skating again in a couple days. I really hope he's back by the playoffs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mind_Taker posted:

I see the Rangers have decided that they want to lose their way into the WC1 spot so they can face the Panthers instead of the Penguins in the first round.

Good strategy IMO.

Agreed. I'd much rather be in the Bad Bracket.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
I was pretty taken aback to find out that Benn is the first Stars player to hit 40 goals since Modano did it in 1994.

Hull only hit 39 for the Stars.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I can't wait to see what happens when Philly, Boston, and Detroit all manage to gently caress this up somehow

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

jesus christ can the regular season be over yet

Yes, let's do this, I agree. Get to the part of the season I still look forward to nowadays when Jackets hockey is useless and ruins the rest of my hockey enjoyment.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

why can't I bookmark threads in firefox anymore? or mark threads as unread

edit: as soon as I bitch the buttons start working thanks SA

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I can't wait to see what happens when Philly, Boston, and Detroit all manage to gently caress this up somehow

Boston and Detroit are in the same division, one of them has to go. Ottawa is next and they're already eliminated.

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Someone neglected to tell Vancouver that winning yesterday was not a very funny April Fools day joke.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Aphrodite posted:

Boston and Detroit are in the same division, one of them has to go. Ottawa is next and they're already eliminated.

see you'd think that

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have bad news for you about the entire world

ya I don't know I kind of like the league being ran by evil retards who don't quite understand email.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Aphrodite posted:

Ottawa wins out, Detroit beats Boston in regulation but both teams otherwise lose out, and league institutes Canadian-playoff-representation-tie-breaker rule.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aaron Portzline was asked his take on Goon Thug Team in his most recent chat and said this:

quote:

Comment From King Ka-Mo
Hi guys. Thanks for chatting. This season the CBJ have gotten a (well-deserved) reputation around the league as a dirty team. Is management really that out of touch with Midwestern hockey fans? We want to see gritty, blue collar, lunch pail hockey, but only if it's clean.

Comment From Portzline
I don't think they have a reputation for being dirty. Pittsburgh has made that point repeatedly, but that's very much a Pittsburgh and Penguins thing. Even last night against Philly, Boll has the big hit on Bellmare, and the Flyers have a very hockey response. I don't think there were any accusations of dirty play on the whole. Physical, sure. Look, there are some teams who play a physical style of hockey, and it hurts to play them. I happen to think when the Blue Jackets are a really good team -- who knows how long that might take, but it might not be that long? -- people here will love a physical style of play. I've talked to numerous coaches and assistant coaches. They've been promised anonymity, and they know I'm willing to write something critical of the team if warranted. All of them said "No" when I asked them if they consider the Blue Jackets to be an excessively physical or dirty team.

He also goes on to talk about OSU vs. CBJ/the NHL, which is an interesting topic itself.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/sections/chat-transcripts/index.html

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Aphrodite posted:

They're actually going to import Colorado over to play in the East for the playoffs at this rate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Someone should tell Portzline that there's some good hockey going on in 2016 and he should leave 2013 behind one of these days. I've seen the Jackets enough in non-Penguins games to know thuggery is their M.O. They dial it up against the Penguins but so does everyone else. The single best thing about Mike Sullivan is the Penguins have finally, FINALLY, stopped responding to thuggery by flailing about ineffectually in lieu of playing defense and now just stick to playing hockey and winning.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

i am the bird posted:

Ottawa wins out, Detroit beats Boston in regulation but both teams otherwise lose out, and league institutes Canadian-playoff-representation-tie-breaker rule.

Detroit wins on ROW tiebreaker, sorry.

No one likes Ottawa anyway.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 1, 2016

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
NHL N/V April 2016 - No Canadians Club

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's no way the Wings won't gently caress this up. I have come to terms with THE STREAK being over. Even if we did sneak in, we'd get absolutely thrashed in the first round with the way Howard/Mrazek/defense/everyone have been playing.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

SpacePig posted:

I like the Flyers' chances, but also fully expect them to disappoint me in new and fascinating ways, so this should be a fun month.

I signed up for this from the very start, embrace the void

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
In a perfect world, the Islanders would lose their last five and Detroit would make the playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No world in which Detroit makes it is perfect.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
go cats

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Declaring bandwagon hoppin' status in the playoffs for Philly, Tampa, San Jose, and Washington...and probably Fancy Cats, who I haven't seen enough of this year to get excited about yet because NBC shows like 8 teams regularly.

Vicas posted:

I signed up for this from the very start, embrace the void

I'm the most excited about the Flyers' push, so I don't need disappointment twice this year.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
please hop on the minnesota wild bandwagon, we have hotdish.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm the most excited about the Flyers' push, so I don't need disappointment twice this year.

If you don't want disappointment twice, then I think you've made a wrong choice here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

No world in which Detroit makes it is perfect.

Correct.

Philly's potential for collapse is definitely in the back of my mind but god drat if they haven't been fun as hell since the All-Star break. The playoffs are a super real possibility, and even if they don't get beyond Washington this year has vastly exceeded my expectations for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If nothing else this year is shaping up to give a new look to the playoffs. Maybe even a team that hasn't won the cup in the last 6 years will pull it off!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

xzzy posted:

If nothing else this year is shaping up to give a new look to the playoffs. Maybe even a team that hasn't won the cup in the last 6 years will pull it off!

Nah I think the cycle goes Blackhawks, Bruins, Kings, Blackhawks, Kings. Since the Blackhawks won last year it's Boston's turn now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Checks out.

• Locked thread