Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Meet the Teams - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769900

Season Predictions - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767136

.GIF Thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766803

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxX_b-bZLIQ

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

N: Nick Burdi is out indefinitely with "forearm tightness".

V: Hope this isn't Karma returning to gently caress with the Twins for their incredible luck last season.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought there was only one game on Sunday, well, whoo boy.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:toot:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

looks like the Hyung-Soo Kim experiment in Baltimore is going to end, he refused to be sent down to minors lol

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For other nerds, here are all the uniform changes in 2016: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15099445/uni-watch-2016-mlb-season-preview-uniform-changes-alternates-patches-more

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

looks like the Hyung-Soo Kim experiment in Baltimore is going to end, he refused to be sent down to minors lol

Knowing the Orioles they will probably keep him on the 25 man roster and have him work the Korean BBQ stand in the stadium

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Your team's ace has scheduled a visit with Dr. James Andrews and/or is being traded for Pablo Sandoval and/or has pissed hot for PED

spanky69 posted:

Knowing the Orioles they will probably keep him on the 25 man roster and have him work the Korean BBQ stand in the stadium

das rayciss

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 1, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

I thought there was only one game on Sunday, well, whoo boy.

Me too, when I went to go get the image for the OP I had to take another five or so minutes going through team websites to make sure I wasn't being pranked.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rob Manfred is pro-bat flip.

Rob Manfred for Commish of my Heart (now that Stern is retired)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Rob Manfred is pro-bat flip.

Rob Manfred for Commish of my Heart (now that Stern is retired)

As far as commishes go, Manfred seems pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/715916887209730048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SO either the Yankees actually got lucky with an injury for once or Jack Curry is playing the cruelest April Fools joke on us.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 1, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I am overjoyed to see the brewers getting rid of that horrible gold jersey and making throwbacks more of a thing. even the 90s logo was way better than their current love-letter-to-beer-cans mess.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I'm growing concerned about the number of things I've liked about the Yankees over the past couple seasons.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

I'm growing concerned about the number of things I've liked about the Yankees over the past couple seasons.

Didi clearly studied tape for this, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

Manfred was the owners' point man in their efforts to break the union in 1994, so I'll wait and see how he approaches this round of labor negotiations before I even think of calling him "cool."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Timby posted:

Manfred was the owners' point man in their efforts to break the union in 1994, so I'll wait and see how he approaches this round of labor negotiations before I even think of calling him "cool."

I think everyone learned after the last couple work stoppages that they are super bad for baseball.

The issue is going to be that owners are getting a larger and larger share of revenue over time so I wonder if that is going to be a big issue in the next round of negotiations. At least, now that the majority of the hard line owners who were around when free agency started are gone, the two sides seem much more willing to work out differences or table them for later if they're not major.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's almost like the commissioner of baseball exists to serve the owners of the baseball teams

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Poque posted:

It's almost like the commissioner of baseball exists to serve the owners of the baseball teams

He exists to keep Pete Rose out of the hall of fame

Pete Rose's actions since the ban have nothing to do with it of course

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I think everyone learned after the last couple work stoppages that they are super bad for baseball.

Well, we came pretty close to another one in 2002, so...

quote:

The issue is going to be that owners are getting a larger and larger share of revenue over time so I wonder if that is going to be a big issue in the next round of negotiations.

That's going to be an issue, the QO system is going to be an issue, service time gaming is sure to be big, but the biggest issue beyond the revenue share is almost certainly going to be MLB's desire for an international draft.

Poque posted:

Selig was the first real "head owner acting on behalf of the owners" commissioner, if we're talking historically.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't see intruder's dumb edit an hour after his initial post

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 1, 2016

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

tadashi posted:

The issue is going to be that owners are getting a larger and larger share of revenue over time so I wonder if that is going to be a big issue in the next round of negotiations. At least, now that the majority of the hard line owners who were around when free agency started are gone, the two sides seem much more willing to work out differences or table them for later if they're not major.
It won't be an issue because the head of MLBPA has already public stated that "the player's share is as high as it's been in a long time" despite public information clearly demonstrating the reverse.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The biggest fight will be the QO and nobody really knows how big of a fight that'll be

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

We're so close, friends

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/715916887209730048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SO either the Yankees actually got lucky with an injury for once or Jack Curry is playing the cruelest April Fools joke on us.

I dunno, even minor pain can gently caress up fine control. Even if you can consciously handle it, if your pitching motion results in pain your muscle memory will notice and adjust accordingly. We'll have to see how it works out I guess.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I dunno, even minor pain can gently caress up fine control. Even if you can consciously handle it, if your pitching motion results in pain your muscle memory will notice and adjust accordingly. We'll have to see how it works out I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/mlH2vfg.webm

This is going to be every plate appearance if the catcher has to toss it back gingerly

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

The biggest fight will be the QO and nobody really knows how big of a fight that'll be

It's doing it's job in terms of bringing down the cost of free agents but I wonder how many GMs actually don't like it because they have to choose between that extra few wins that might be important and "My prospects".

Because you have teams like the Cubs who will sign a guy anyway and then just use the savings on his contract to invest more in international free agency or signing 5 more special advisors.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

We're so close, friends

I loving love baseball get here sooner

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh goody, Sandoval's agent is being pissy about Pablo's benching. This will end well I'm sure.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Listening to the Rays/Braves game. Some kid in the ballpark is having a screaming tantrum so loud that the field microphones are picking it up, and the Braves' announcers have spent the entire sixth inning giggling and telling us that the crying is from some player getting cut.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
ESPN EXPERT PREDICTIONS FOR THE SEASON gently caress YEAH LETS GO

AL East:

Toronto: 19
Boston: 8
NY Yankees: 2
Tampa Bay: 2

AL Central:

Kansas City: 15
Cleveland: 11
Detroit: 3
Minnesota: 2

AL West:

Houston: 21
Texas: 10

NL East:

Washington: 16
NY Mets: 15

NL Central:

Chi Cubs: 27
St. Louis: 3
Pittsburgh: 1

NL West:

SF Giants: 20
Arizona: 7
LA Dodgers: 4

AL Wild Card:

Texas: 10
Houston: 9
NY Yankees: 7
Kansas City: 7
Toronto: 6
Boston: 6
Cleveland: 6
Detroit: 3
Tampa Bay: 2
Chi White Sox: 2
Baltimore: 2
Seattle: 1
LA Angels: 1

NL Wild Card:

St. Louis: 17
NY Mets: 11
Washington: 10
SF Giants: 6
LA Dodgers: 5
Pittsburgh: 5
Arizona: 4
Chi Cubs: 3
Miami: 1

ALCS Winner:

Houston: 9
Toronto: 8
Kansas City: 8
Boston: 4
Texas: 1
Cleveland: 1

NLCS Winner:

Chi Cubs: 19
SF Giants: 6
NY Mets: 3
Washington: 3

World Series Winner:

Chi Cubs: 14
Toronto: 4
Kansas City: 4
Houston: 3
SF Giants: 2
NY Mets: 2
Washington: 1
Texas: 1

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Lacking in the EYB department on those predictions...

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Good Dog posted:

Lacking in the EYB department on those predictions...

And the Cubs, Being, Cubs factor

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

howe_sam posted:

Oh goody, Sandoval's agent is being pissy about Pablo's benching. This will end well I'm sure.

The Boston Media Backstab ™ is going to be glorious on his way out of town.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

ESPN EXPERT PREDICTIONS FOR THE SEASON gently caress YEAH LETS GO
NL West:

SF Giants: 20
Arizona: 7
LA Dodgers: 4
:lol: These takes are on fire!🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The Boston Media Backstab ™ is going to be glorious on his way out of town.

I'm assuming that they have articles pre-written just waiting for the inevitable. Like obituaries for famous people.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Carlos Gomez swaps pants with Jose Altuve

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=569835383&topic_id=8879000

lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Twins need a loving miracle to bring my ridiculous prediction of Cubs / Twins WS to reality.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

The Twins need a loving miracle to bring my ridiculous prediction of Cubs / Twins WS to reality.

I wouldn't bet on it myself but it's not impossible at all, this is Major League Baseball my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

Berrios is actually a Red Wing, the Miracle are one of the Single A teams.

• Locked thread