Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

It won't be an issue because the head of MLBPA has already public stated that "the player's share is as high as it's been in a long time" despite public information clearly demonstrating the reverse.

God, they need to bring Don Fehr back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

God, they need to bring Don Fehr back.
We saw this with how the players folded on a lot of the drug testing issues. Fehr stood firm, whereas now you had the union basically turning their back on one member (A-Rod), which is not what you are supposed to do even if you disagree with the guy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MLB announced that Taylor Teagarden, who if you remember was one of the guys cited for alleged drug use in that Al Jazeera report which also named Ryan Howard and Ryan Zimmerman, just got suspended for 80 games for some kind of PED.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...NSports+Twitter

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Goodpancakes posted:

The Twins need a loving miracle to bring my ridiculous prediction of Cubs / Twins WS to reality.

I think it's hilarious that the Twins didn't even make a Wild Card spot on that ESPN list. I was cautiously optimistic last year; I'm more optimistic and less cautious this year. As always, it depends on pitching, but we'll see. If they can get to the playoffs then it's a crapshoot, just like their other wins have been.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RIP

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Kinda stoked for Stroman v. Archer.

:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: HOT TAKE: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

they are both very good pitchers

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Kevin Pillar just hit a dinger off Steven Wright at Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Buck told the ball to get up, and it did.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Because they don't have notorious playoff bum David Price sandbagging their chances

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

tadashi posted:

I think everyone learned after the last couple work stoppages that they are super bad for baseball.

The issue is going to be that owners are getting a larger and larger share of revenue over time so I wonder if that is going to be a big issue in the next round of negotiations. At least, now that the majority of the hard line owners who were around when free agency started are gone, the two sides seem much more willing to work out differences or table them for later if they're not major.

I really hope they can get a livable wage for minor league players, but I doubt it will happen.

e: Also Jerry Crasnick is a very intelligent man who knows what he is talking about.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 2, 2016

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

We're so close, friends

Yes. Baseball is awesome and good and I can't wait. gently caress basketball.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
AJ Pollock fractured his elbow and will need surgery to repair it. :(

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/716121343264104449

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Now the diamondbacks only have like 1.5 MLB ready batters

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Poque posted:

Now the diamondbacks only have like 1.5 MLB ready batters

You forgot they signed Greinke.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Real soon now, there are going to be games that I won't walk away from after four innings. How exciting.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I really hope they can get a livable wage for minor league players, but I doubt it will happen.
Your doubt is well placed. I don't think the Union represents the MiLB. Also, baseball money is for veterans goddamnit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

the popes toes posted:

Your doubt is well placed. I don't think the Union represents the MiLB. Also, baseball money is for veterans goddamnit.

They don't and unless they've had MLB time they make as little as $5000 a season down in single-A. Some guys get decent signing bonuses, but if you're a minor league lifer you're better off flipping burgers or working at Walmart.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The Boston Media Backstab ™ is going to be glorious on his way out of town.

Is it really a backstab when the guy was never particularly liked?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

That was a really weird play to break your elbow on...

I guess they are going to see really quick if Chris Owings can play center, this is going to be his first start there at any professional level and he filled in last night after Pollock went out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

We saw this with how the players folded on a lot of the drug testing issues. Fehr stood firm, whereas now you had the union basically turning their back on one member (A-Rod), which is not what you are supposed to do even if you disagree with the guy.

Fehr never would have let the QO bullshit happen, either. That was a case of Weiner selling out younger, mid-tier players in favor of the stars. Marvin Miller probably spun in his grave when the union rolled over on that.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

hifi posted:

That was a really weird play to break your elbow on...

I guess they are going to see really quick if Chris Owings can play center, this is going to be his first start there at any professional level and he filled in last night after Pollock went out.

They gave him a few innings in center, but there's no reason for the starting job to be anyone but Socrates Brito's for now. Brito just has trouble with left handed pitching, and they want to find someone to be a good platoon. Owings is somewhat of the odd man out from the middle infield glut. Might see Peter O'Brien get a roster spot out of this as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Braves released Michael Bourn....they are now paying $29 mil to two guys who aren't on the team (other is Swisher). I know they got some money from Cleveland last year for them but that's still a lot of dead money.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

baseball in montreal happening rn

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also, not one espn person thinks the pirates will win it all? that's loving bizarre. they're real good

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Abel Wingnut posted:

also, not one espn person thinks the pirates will win it all? that's loving bizarre. they're real good

Everyone in the national media has a big ol boner for the Cubs.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

TV apps stream MLB.TV at 60 FPS now :shlick:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Abel Wingnut posted:

baseball in montreal happening rn

They had a ceremony with people like Raines, Vlad, and Pedro before the game yesterday it owned

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone else entirely unable to get mlb.tv streaming to work? Losing my mind

Edit: working on PC, not FireTV

Walked fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 2, 2016

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah Fire TV is shitted up right now, others work fine.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Yeah Fire TV is shitted up right now, others work fine.

Phew. Just wanted to know it wasn't just me.

They better get that fixed before tomorrow.
Tomorrow is the most important day of the year, guys

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sliding head first into home during a preseason game good jorb

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Walked posted:

Tomorrow is the most important day of the year

Indeed. I'm so excited.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

second. monday is where it's at

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
I just want to say that baseball owns and I'm so happy my team is good again.

Oh also the Rangers are dumb and bad and also the Angels.

The Mariners and Athletics are...fine I guess. I still don't feel strongly about either of them despite now having been in the AL West for a few years.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Timby posted:

Fehr never would have let the QO bullshit happen, either. That was a case of Weiner selling out younger, mid-tier players in favor of the stars. Marvin Miller probably spun in his grave when the union rolled over on that.

With more than a few players grumbling openly about the process (Thanks again Orioles!) and a few QOs getting accepted this year to avoid getting Drewed I wonder if this will be the hill the union actually decides to fight on this winter. It's a total screw job for mid-tier free agents so I guess it's working as intended as far as the owners go, they're going to sought hard to keep players protecting them from themselves. As was said the union doesn't give a poo poo about non-members so things like minor league working conditions and (if they can figure out somewhat realistic logistics) an international draft are no brainier gimmes, but would Tony Clark and Co. really give on those in favor of something stupid like a 26th roster slot?

That said I'm totally fine with the status quo as long as there's a clause banning the Cardinals from getting any more competitive balance picks.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
Yeah i'm so excited baseball is back, er wait nevermind.Forgot I'm a Braves fan. After following them all spring its a foregone conclusion, they will have the worst record.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Ready for Pirates/Cards tomorrow where its going to be 30 goddamn degrees out

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cold baseball > no baseball

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

achillesforever6 posted:

Ready for Pirates/Cards tomorrow where its going to be 30 goddamn degrees out

Looking like it's going to snow in Cleveland on Monday

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Abel Wingnut posted:

cold baseball > no baseball
I'm also going to hate the Pirates because now every day game I have to deal with driving back home from work at 4:30 on the Parkway East which is already a shitshow without there being a Pirate's game ending. Might as well just book a hotel at that point :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

pena got put on the dl so i guess yadi is gonna catch 140 loving games again lol

• Locked thread