Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

I don't think Miller Park looks bad, and it's nice inside.

It gets humid as hell in there with the roof closed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i don't like the roof on the dbacks stadium because they keep it just under 80 with the roof closed and that feels really hot to be "inside". the alternative is roasting your nuts off though... also it leaks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHWOREgo9U

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Safeco Field's roof is more of an umbrella with the way it works. There's still lots of open air, you're just not gonna get rained on.

Safeco is cool as hell and I'm looking forward to making my September A's v. M's trip an annual thing. But pretty much anything is cool as hell when you're coming from the Coliseum.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hifi posted:

i don't like the roof on the dbacks stadium because they keep it just under 80 with the roof closed and that feels really hot to be "inside". the alternative is roasting your nuts off though... also it leaks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHWOREgo9U

Tropicana Field rains bullets.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
This is the most hosed up thing I ever read:

https://twitter.com/hunterpence/status/716774254771961857

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

N: Hunter Pence's scooter got stolen from the Make-A-Wish foundation, everyone has the flu, their flight got delayed six hours, and the Giants' charter plane landed next to Trumps'.

V: Feels like an odd year. :ohdear:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Bask in the greatness.

I imagine it was a Dodgers fan that made off with the scooter.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

IcePhoenix posted:

I...I would probably try that :negative:

Aren't you a Minnesotan? The level of culinary abuse and sinful decadence spewed forth from the gluttonous minds of Minnesotans/Wisconsinites is World Class. Of course you would eat it. It wouldn't even raise an eye brow at the state fair, or make the list of "foodstuffs most likely to be gripped in rigor mortis".

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

N: Hunter Pence's scooter got stolen from the Make-A-Wish foundation, everyone has the flu, their flight got delayed six hours, and the Giants' charter plane landed next to Trumps'.

V: Feels like an odd year. :ohdear:

Nah, it's just the kind of adversity that makes an even year magical.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Isn't there usually a midseason trade / call-up that propels the Giants' even year bullshit into greatness?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/717054683567644672

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Goodpancakes posted:

Aren't you a Minnesotan? The level of culinary abuse and sinful decadence spewed forth from the gluttonous minds of Minnesotans/Wisconsinites is World Class. Of course you would eat it. It wouldn't even raise an eye brow at the state fair, or make the list of "foodstuffs most likely to be gripped in rigor mortis".

Have you ever tried Indian food in Minnesota? I've heard people complain about black pepper being too hot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Popete posted:

Have you ever tried Indian food in Minnesota? I've heard people complain about black pepper being too hot.

I remember at an old job, someone from our Eastern WA (which is very redneck) office came sat next to me for a few days, and commented about how exotic my teriyaki chicken was that I got for lunch that day.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

That's not really a Minnesota thing, that's a person thing. I've seen just as many of the opposite reactions to super spicy stuff.

Goodpancakes posted:

Just because it's normal here doesn't mean I can't be ashamed of it :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Badfinger posted:

Now that we know what the Phillies roster is I can start figuring out who they are, and will relay that to you at some point soon in the Meet the Teams thread.

tl;dr - It's Maikel Franco's violent baseball killing swing, a bunch of guys you thought weren't in baseball anymore and if they were definitely weren't Phillies, some guys whose names you'll gently caress up for 6 months, and Ryan Howard's bones.

It can't be as bad as last season at least. Right?

:ohdear:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

hifi posted:

wow, hellickson is the opening day starter for the phillies? he was 3rd in the rotation last year on a team that had josh collmenter start opening day

quote:

tl;dr - It's Maikel Franco's violent baseball killing swing, a bunch of guys you thought weren't in baseball anymore and if they were definitely weren't Phillies, some guys whose names you'll gently caress up for 6 months, and Ryan Howard's bones.

I just want to be clear that I loving nailed this and am now officially your source for every bit of Phillies information.

He is the intersection in the Phillies starting rotation between talent and experience. He and Charlie Morton have literally 90% of their major league starts. If everything breaks right he might be the 4th best pitcher in the current rotation, but there is no goofiness in him being the first starting pitcher for this season.

They also set it up so Hellickson gets opening day and Nola gets the home opener. Remember, Opening Day Starter is an honorific, not a stat.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

axeil posted:

It can't be as bad as last season at least. Right?

:ohdear:

My dude, it's gonna be so much better. Young players coming up and securing spots on the team of the future is so much better than trying to figure out who to trade to acquire those young players.

Team's still gonna suck, the bullpen is designed to be a tire fire. It'll be a much more cohesive and purposeful form of sucking though. They have a more than decent chance to not finish last, but not a real good chance of finishing third.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Goodpancakes posted:

Considering last year they had a cheeseburger with funnel cakes or grilled cheese sandwiches for buns at the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers game, that sausage is pretty much health food around these parts.

e: Oh, and this year they have a 1 1/3 burger sandwiched between a sausage, pepperoni, and bacon pizza that's cut in half.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 4, 2016

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Isn't there usually a midseason trade / call-up that propels the Giants' even year bullshit into greatness?
yes, typically including some re-tread or over-the-hill veteran who plays way over his head in the postseason

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

yes, typically including some re-tread or over-the-hill veteran who plays way over his head in the postseason

release Jake Peavy's delimiter

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Badfinger posted:

My dude, it's gonna be so much better. Young players coming up and securing spots on the team of the future is so much better than trying to figure out who to trade to acquire those young players.

Team's still gonna suck, the bullpen is designed to be a tire fire. It'll be a much more cohesive and purposeful form of sucking though. They have a more than decent chance to not finish last, but not a real good chance of finishing third.

I got to see Hamels' no-hitter in person when I was in Chicago so that was pretty incredible. Sadly it's the only happy memory I have of last year. After the Hamels trade got finalized and Utley got sent away I stopped caring.

I'm excited to see all the young guys this year, much more interesting than watching the once-greats shamble along.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

release Jake Peavy's delimiter
Peavey will beat at least one of Scherzer/deGrom/Syndergaard in a postseason game, ala Zito v Verlander.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
A's season off to a good start
https://twitter.com/JaneMLB/status/717075264732155905

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Yaya posted:

A's season off to a good start

It's 2016 and Rich Hill is making an opening day start :catstare:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you're on T-Mobile, you get MLB.tv for free this year and if you stream it from your phone, it won't consume any data:

http://www.t-mobile.com/mlb.html

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They're just trying to beat everyone to the best media narrative again.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

If you're on T-Mobile, you get MLB.tv for free this year and if you stream it from your phone, it won't consume any data:

I love that they announced this deal like two and a half weeks after my poo poo auto-renewed. I have an open support ticket to see if I can get a refund and use my free year.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

seiferguy posted:

Holy. poo poo.
Thanks so much.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

seiferguy posted:

And just to make sure, I still can't watch regionally locked content (Angels/Dodgers for me), right? I was able to watch Saturday's Angels (spring training) game on my phone but couldn't watch last nights regular season games that were on ESPN. I do have time warner cable so I'll likely be covered for most games...

Nice that it doesn't use data though, I don't bother with unlimited. Now that MLB.tv and youtube are free-data services I definitely don't need unlimited.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

seiferguy posted:

gently caress that's a good deal.

Is anyone doing the MLB TV sharing thing again? It usually pops up in SA Mart, but I didn't see it this year.

vvvvThanks!vvv

DaFuente fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 4, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DaFuente posted:

gently caress that's a good deal.

Is anyone doing the MLB TV sharing thing again? It usually pops up in SA Mart, but I didn't see it this year.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764255&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A new sordid chapter in hatgate

Which one of you ugly fuckers is that

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/717086153929658368

Not gonna tear up a little bit.......

No....

No.....

that's just seasonal allergies..

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what a great omen for the A's season. Fans are already teetering on "is this year gonna be like last" and the franchise's one shining light gets poisoned on opening day.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

N: Rangers managed to get one measly hit against King Felix and the M's, a bloop single from Prince Fielder.

Rangers won that game 3-2

V: lol

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Paperback Writer posted:

what a great omen for the A's season. Fans are already teetering on "is this year gonna be like last" and the franchise's one shining light gets poisoned on opening day.

A comment on one of their social media posts called out ownership for not having Sonny play tonight, too, so yeah it's definitely getting good.

At least I get to watch Chris Sale in person tonight :unsmith:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

N: Rangers managed to get one measly hit against King Felix and the M's, a bloop single from Prince Fielder.

Rangers won that game 3-2

V: lol

The Rangers loving own :coal:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Boston got rained today, which I think ruins our chances at a Stroman-Price match up this weekend.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Hand Knit posted:

Boston got rained today, which I think ruins our chances at a Stroman-Price match up this weekend.

That's actually a huge shame, because that could be an incredible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Duff Man hit a big shot today. And the Giants own.

• Locked thread