Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
New thread! Woohoo!

Here's a link to last season's OP as a placeholder.

Leo Egan still hasn't retired, and this league is still alive. Go team.

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Seattle Assbutts
AL East: Pittsburgh Steel Birds
AL South: Santa Fe Leo Egans
AL West: Los Angeles LA Directors

NL North: Ottawa BEEMOs
NL East: Cleveland Hustlers
NL South: Florida Oranges
NL West: Santa Cruz Conquistadors

WILD CARDS

AL: Pittsburgh Steel Birds, Chicago Barons
NL: Boston Sophists, Colorado Burrelballers

AWARDS

AL MVP: Domingo Ontiveros, Blue Jays
NL MVP: Weldon Bush, Burrellballers
AL Cy Young: Ismael Barrios, Leo Enoughs
NL Cy Young: Deivi Elcano, Los Angeleses
AL ROTY: Braulio Canseco, Whatever Art's Team Name Was Last Season
NL ROTY: Yuniesky Pimentel, Phatties

INFO FOR NEW OWNERS AND HOPELESSLY INCOMPETENT VETERANS

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because nasboat is AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks. But it's not that bad honestly if the world works together. We can do this. Trust me.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're menasboat.

10. Get a Big Brother! If you've never played this game before feel free to ask the thread for help from the veterans. Hopefully one of us will take you under our wing and teach you some of the stupid convoluted poo poo that you need to know before you quit in frustration. Then when you're a 10 season veteran with multiple world series wins you can pay it forward!

:siren:AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY:siren:

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

quote:

Set your spring training rest hierarchy and pitch counts.

PAs in spring training count towards fatigue in the regular season but the games don't, so you don't want to use your starters as much as you would in the regular season.

HOWEVER spring training is also a good opportunity for your young players to get a couple extra points and if you don't let your veterans play, they might lose a few points. So it's a careful balancing act. I'd recommend inviting some guys to ST from your minor leagues--either prospects you want to develop or mediocre AAAA dudes who can soak up some innings/PAs. Your 25 man roster won't cut it.

Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Spring training squads to invite some of your minor leaguers to camp. Go to Manager's office -> Managers Settings to set your lineup to rest after the fifth inning even if they're losing or leading by only 1. Go to Managers Office -> Player Settings -> Edit Player settings to set your starters to low pitch counts. If for some reason you want them to go deep in games, you can manually force your team to use a 10 man rotation or something. Rotate out your relievers, setting the guys who just pitched to "rest" and forcing the AI to use other guys after games.

The goal is to get your starters at least 10 innings, your relievers at least 3 appearances and your batters at least 30 PAs. After that you're safe from regression. The rest of the playing time should go to backups, bench guys, and minor leaguers.

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

posting in the thread so that it'll have more than just the OP

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Me too. Yay, i'm back I guess. Now to whether I actually pay attention to my team is another question.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
So, uh...this is kind of a crazy FA hitter year

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

AlleyViper posted:

So, uh...this is kind of a crazy FA hitter year

Pitching not so much.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Anyone out there wants Norberto Ayala?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ArtVandelay posted:

Anyone out there wants Norberto Ayala?

Check ya PMs

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Gaedels could deal Hipolito Castilla if anyone is interested in picking him up for cheap.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Guys, I did a dumb thing. I forgot to protect Dan Parker. I'm a big stupid and I understand if no one wants to trade him back to me, but i'm asking whoever gets him to give me a break.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You should get no more a break than the guy with 126 seasons under his belt who forgot to protect Louis Roundtree.

Parker isn't even that good anyway.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The way HBD implements the Rule 5 draft is completely retarded and should be eliminated. That said if you've done this more than twice you should know to protect your prospects on the day you can edit rosters. Having said that, Parker is the perfect guy to leave unprotected since some schmuck will take him just based on overall rating and I want him to pitch Parker against me.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah I can't really suggest a mulligan here because the top unprotected guys were left exposed by game veterans so I mean

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

saintonan posted:

Parker is the perfect guy to leave unprotected since some schmuck will take him just based on overall rating and I want him to pitch Parker against me.

I mean, he's not that bad, he's basically former Cy Young Award Winner Curtis Moreno (tm), but he's not a guy that if I accidentally left exposed I'd be beating myself over, either.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Last year's HoF bug sure has left a lot of good HoF candidates out there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
This is actually a fairly easyish ballot IMO because there's five super-duper max level players (Sellers, Mendoza, Howard, Garces, Damaso)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Sellers, Mendoza, Garces, Damaso are an easy first four but Howard isn't a slam dunk fifth. I'm inclined to go Toombs for my fifth right now but Carrasco is right there with him, Bleier and Cosby and Stearns are good, so are Bryant, Willoughby, Tavarez....it's a loaded ballot.

e: Al Dotel

e2: MARK COBB

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 7, 2016

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Yeah I agree that four of them are pretty easy decisions, but that fifth is really tough.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
No its not just vote Teddy, Tavarez, Everette, Bryant and Rob Moore.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

My 5th goes to Bleier because for heaven's sake the guy hit 660 homers

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I did Howard, Martin, Mendoza, Sellers and Garces. I think if I'd randomly clicked on 5 names I'd have hit at least 3 or 4 worthy candidates.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Martin over...well, a bunch of guys, with so short a career?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

Martin over...well, a bunch of guys, with so short a career?

He did 12 ML years, got two AS and a MVP, career 310/379/570 slash line. Like I said, there's a ton of qualified guys on that list.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

RIP Toby Cox

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

saintonan posted:

I did Howard, Martin, Mendoza, Sellers and Garces. I think if I'd randomly clicked on 5 names I'd have hit at least 3 or 4 worthy candidates.

I will join the pack and Vote Howard, Mendoza, Sellers and Garces. But my freebie pick goes to Footsie unless we have a consensus 5th pick.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Somebody send me a passable 3rd or 4th SP for Norberto Ayala. Toby Cox has gone to heaven and I need some help :(

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Norberto Ayala is the 697th best hitter in the league and he's getting paid 5.3 million this year and next year. You won't get a passable rookie league starter for him.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

saintonan posted:

Norberto Ayala is the 697th best hitter in the league and he's getting paid 5.3 million this year and next year. You won't get a passable rookie league starter for him.

It's a real shame HBD doesn't allow anything other than 1 for 1 trades then huh.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

but you don't understand, Art needs something valuable for his garbage. Clearly you don't see this.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

ArtVandelay posted:

It's a real shame HBD doesn't allow anything other than 1 for 1 trades then huh.

Ayala has negative value. Offer something with positive value and you might have more interest.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Yeah man you might need to be the one attaching a prospect to get somebody to take on the $ and maybe get back something ML-useful

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ayala is a perfectly acceptable incumbent CF or 2B, though certainly not ideal, you ride out these last two years then replace him.

Of course, when you go and give Francisco Soto 10m per year it sort of torpedoes what little value he has.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I wish spring training was one day longer so I can get my pitchers three more games of innings. We can cut out the idle day between when camp breaks and the regular season begins.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Got a couple 4-point bumps for DitRs on the opening day snapshot, that's a new one for me

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Julius Guilmet jumped 3 points in control and vsR and he's not even a DITR.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

1 hit through 7 shutout innings for Moose and 3 hits, including two homers for Enny. So far so good for our FA acquisitions after one game.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

JT Matthews has allowed runs :siren:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Here's a depiction of my pitching staff : :byobear:

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
This is finally my year to shovel gif someone. I've come so far.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Leandro Arias is doing ok in AA:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
is it bad that i proposed a trade last week, completely forgot about it, and was stunned to see my new acquisition show up in my assignment screen today

• Locked thread