Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

My favorite example of this is the stuff with Nine-tails Vale and Tenma Town in Dual Destinies. They try to explain it as Nine-tails Vale just being this random Japanese-inspired tourist town and there being a "yokai craze", but later (minor spoilers for that case) they point out how the town has been around for hundreds of years, or at least long enough for this whole mythology to have been created surrounded Tenma Tarou.

I think they more specifically say it was founded by Japanese immigrants? I think the offical localization hand wave is that in the Ace Attorney universe, the anti-Japanese immigration laws from the early 20th century didn't happen and people were less racist. So I guess one could argue the mythology was imported from Japan and the village was established in the 19th century. Old, small towns do have weird stories and beliefs after all.

Well, no matter what it's gloriously stupid and I love the dissonance between the dialog and the alternate sub track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I recall it being founded by immigrants, not just being randomly Japanese-inspired. The youkai-craze is relatively recent, but it was drawn from the existing beliefs of the residents.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This week's episode isn't as good as last weeks, but it's alright. Still worth watching as an AA fan.

That Redd White is amazing though.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 16, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

was speaking random bits of English always Redd White's gimmick in japan?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a little disappointed with the trial, but the second half was solid. I'll give it another episode to see how it goes.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

mabels big day posted:

was speaking random bits of English always Redd White's gimmick in japan?

Broken Japanized English (in what I believe is deliberate instead of ignorant writing), but of course. A lot of the anime's dialogue is taken verbatim from the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that Edgeworth's proposal that the Thinker had its clockwork at the time of the murder doesn't just amount to "prove the police didn't tamper with this evidence for some reason."

E:

Haha, this is great

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

orenronen posted:

Broken Japanized English (in what I believe is deliberate instead of ignorant writing), but of course. A lot of the anime's dialogue is taken verbatim from the game.

I think it's Redd's attempt to sound more cultured than he actually is in both versions.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The YES, WE CAN slayed me.

Very nice to see Edgeworth lose his cool in animation, it's a very good interpretation of his sprites.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So they definitely cut out Redd White decking Phoenix before calling the cops on him.

Is there a reason they would've done that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

So they definitely cut out Redd White decking Phoenix before calling the cops on him.

Is there a reason they would've done that?

I think it's in a kid's slot*, so that might be part of it.

*Doesn't explain the boobs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Apparently it got a 5.2 in the ratings on the first episode.

Does that mean anything for where it'll go from there?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In animus, boobs are ok and violence is not.
In gaijin stuff, the opposite

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Apparently it got a 5.2 in the ratings on the first episode.

Does that mean anything for where it'll go from there?

It's a kid's show and not an otaku show, so it might affect if we get T&T, but gently caress if I know what the numbers in TV ratings mean.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a kid's show and not an otaku show, so it might affect if we get T&T, but gently caress if I know what the numbers in TV ratings mean.

I always thought it was millions of viewers but 5.2 million for Phoenix Wright seems stupidly high

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, it is on the docket with Detective Conan.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

I always thought it was millions of viewers but 5.2 million for Phoenix Wright seems stupidly high
A number like that is usually the percentage of the audience. So basically 5.2% of all people watching TV in Japan at that time were watching Phoenix Wright. That actually sounds like quite a good big-ish number but it depends on the typical environment of that timeslot.

For reference, in the US, an episode of LOST would get something between 3.0 and 8.0. Or, in the late 90s when WWF/WCW were competing over the same timeslot, they'd be getting 3.5's to 6.5's.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 17, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I totally forgot that Redd White's original gimmick was saying English words, this anime is good

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Moltrey posted:

I totally forgot that Redd White's original gimmick was saying English words, this anime is splendiforous

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Redd White is a good intimidating early game villain I forgot about this

DO YOU WISH TO KNOW THE TITLE OF MY PERSONAGE is the only redd white line i remember and it makes me laugh

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love how the anime really puts Redd White's flashiness and awfulness in full display. It wasn't until I recently replayed the trilogy on 3DS that I remembered just how despicable and how far-reaching in terms of the series' overarching plot he truly was. It's the curse of being an early-game culprit that he doesn't seem to be remembered in the same light as some of the later game culprits.

"Yes, we can!". Absolutely splendiferous. And after the movie's portrayal of Redd White, it was nice to see the actual character get shown in full force. This anime is very good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I was kinda down on this adaption after the first episode but man if the Redd White parts of the last one weren't inspired. :allears:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It's too bad the bellboy's court testimony got cut. I wanted to see him testifying while holding a serving tray for no good reason.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I loved seeing April May's freak out pose fully animated although I thought there was a point in the game when she went back to winking and jiggling but perhaps that's later on, and yeah, Redd White was both hilarious and awful in the good villainous sense.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
My memory of the first game is foggy, but was it ever addressed in the games why Phoenix's evidence is instantly accepted and he isn't accused of forging it? Seeing the court sequences actually animated makes it seem really weird that Phoenix just pulls something out of his pocket and says "I found this in April's room" and everyone just takes it as the truth instantly.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

My memory of the first game is foggy, but was it ever addressed in the games why Phoenix's evidence is instantly accepted and he isn't accused of forging it? Seeing the court sequences actually animated makes it seem really weird that Phoenix just pulls something out of his pocket and says "I found this in April's room" and everyone just takes it as the truth instantly.
The same reason no one gets on at the Prosecution attempting to deny evidence/testimony from the courtroom through whatever means necessary short of destroying it.

Also it's a key plot point in Apollo Justice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I just assumed in the games that Phoenix was photo-documenting everything. Some things just don't make sense otherwise.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I used to think Phoenix just took pictures of pretty much all the evidence, until I saw some official art suggesting otherwise:

I sincerely hope we see him lugging around some of the bigger pieces of evidence this way in the show.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

It is amazing Gumshoe's never succeeded in convicting Phoenix for theft given the amount of stuff which, important evidence aside, he's clearly outright stolen.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Gumshoe is a pal, he would never arrest his best pal Pheonix.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

smenj posted:

I used to think Phoenix just took pictures of pretty much all the evidence, until I saw some official art suggesting otherwise:

I sincerely hope we see him lugging around some of the bigger pieces of evidence this way in the show.

I hope we get to see toast-and-egg-in-mouth-while-riding-bike Phoenix soon. Making breakfast for Charley before heading out the door to collect evidence or fight in a courtroom. Bumping into Gumshoe by accident while turning a corner in the detention center but managing to still save his food.

This gives me an idea...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
In the Japanifornian legal system you're not allowed to accuse someone of fabricating evidence unless you can prove it's fake.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I played the first game and none of the sequels, and planned to let this play in the background until they got to the second game. But it's obvious from the pacing that they aren't going to get there this season, if ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Actually, they are. They've released character designs of characters from the second game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is a 26 episode series, so I think we're fine in terms of pacing. I doubt anyone could stretch out Steel Samurai, Edgeworth and Rise From the Ashes into 23 episodes without murdering the pacing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My one wish is for a Rise From the Ashes OVA

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Assuming we even do get Rise From the Ashes, considering it's easily the longest case in the first game (and one of the ones where you really have to pay attention to all of the details for everything to make sense).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm of the mind that they're probably gonna skip over 1-5 in the TV, yeah.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Honestly, I'm expecting that one skipped too, which definitely means they're not gonna just stretch out 2 cases over the course of 22-23 more episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nick presents every evidence to every person in the case would be one heck of a filler arc tho

• Locked thread