Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

D&D got really mad at me for taking the side of that the lady at Yale who sent out the email saying that a little girl dressing up as Mulan wasn't the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Casimir Radon posted:

D&D got really mad at me for taking the side of that the lady at Yale who sent out the email saying that a little girl dressing up as Mulan wasn't the end of the world.

they do that. honestly it depends on the thread.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Cultures should not mix, what's so hard to understand ? That's why Europe is closing it's borders.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

One time I beat up a drunken Korean in a Mexican restaurant in NYC who was yelling "spic" at the workers in there at 5am.

I kicked him in the balls real good once I drug him outside and he went "This is NYC man I could have a knife this could be anything!" then I kicked him in the balls again and his glasses fell off his face and he went over to the building to lean against it so I squashed his glasses and then went and got on the train.

My only regret is that I had no opportunity to do all of this in a head dress.

Now tell us what really happened.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

how many white bitches and ho's rappers are there

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

nah that was really just you and my response was that people were justifiably upset about the doublestandards but the topic overall was more one that you just needed to know about then something you need to call individuals out on. Kind of an awareness thing and this thread is a really good example of how not enough people are yet aware of it. hence why I said that it was a valid academic discussion but the lady getting super confrontational over a dumb hippy was still wrong, sometimes everyone's wrong.

Yeah! Sometimes everyone's wrong.... accept for ArbitraryC here.

Since you're so culturally aware of everything, maybe you could enlighten all of us?
What's the harm in some stupid rear end Jewish dude rolling around with dreads aside from looking like an idiot? It's hair for fucks sake. Like someone said, it's not like he's rolling around in blackface.

Rasta_Al fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 3, 2016

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

the black husserl posted:

sure sure yes goons cultural appropriation doesn't exist i get it gently caress the millennials but dreadlocks are kind of a big deal in the black community for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with stealing anyone's culture. Anthony Mackie (black actor guy from Selma) got savaged on Twitter last year because he said what a lot of black ppl know/fear about dreadlocks in the back of their heads

a white person doesn't have to deal with that. white dude probably doesn't have to worry about getting beaten up or arrested (maybe weed lol) cause of his dreads. instead he has to worry about people calling him a smelly hippy or tossing him frisbees. that shits weird for black people cause its a freedom they don't have. so remember, next time you see a black person with dreads, please invite them to play frisbee

That double standard sucks, but wouldn't you want a bunch of people rolling around with dreads then to take away the stigma?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

That double standard sucks, but wouldn't you want a bunch of people rolling around with dreads then to take away the stigma?

this is where a desire for social harmony clashes with an equal desire to Like Something Before It Was Cool

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually cultural appropriation is good and I encourage everyone to do it as much as possible.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

the black husserl posted:

sure sure yes goons cultural appropriation doesn't exist i get it gently caress the millennials but dreadlocks are kind of a big deal in the black community for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with stealing anyone's culture. Anthony Mackie (black actor guy from Selma) got savaged on Twitter last year because he said what a lot of black ppl know/fear about dreadlocks in the back of their heads

a white person doesn't have to deal with that. white dude probably doesn't have to worry about getting beaten up or arrested (maybe weed lol) cause of his dreads. instead he has to worry about people calling him a smelly hippy or tossing him frisbees. that shits weird for black people cause its a freedom they don't have. so remember, next time you see a black person with dreads, please invite them to play frisbee

Actually there is a white hairstyle with the same baggage, it's called a "mullet" and if you have one you are probably a garbage person who gets arrested all the time.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

argondamn posted:

how many white bitches and ho's rappers are there

I don't know I listen a lot of rap and think the sex rappers are few and far between. You get these rear end licking fuckbois in the industry that just talk about doing a bunch of crimes, prostitutes, drugs, and say friend of the family a bunch of times as a derogatory slur directed at the listener. So I mean like in the 90s you had people talking about all sorts of poo poo. Street life, the struggle, making it big, love, hate, politics. Then some rich rear end in a top hat with a 4th grade education level who owns a record label but can hardly understand English or poetry interprets rap songs based on his own racist prejudices and decides, hey I'm just gonna flood the charts payola style with a bunch of talentless overproduced hacks who act a drat fool and go around putting investigations on basically the entire black race because all they ever see when they see a black person is a criminal or an animal that should be broken like a horse in their mind.

I just don't get this new crap. I don't see how a self-respecting black person could buy a drake album, where he is literally calling the listener a friend of the family and telling them he is going to make them do a bunch of work for no pay. Or like future where he is talking about hitting people with a stick but says it like "schtick" as some sort of antisemetic thing because he doesn't have a speech impediment that would make him say it like that, because he pronounces other sh words correctly. A lot of these rappers are literally the most racist people you can imagine and are essentially plagiarizing "how to break a slave"

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 3, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Actually there is a white hairstyle with the same baggage, it's called a "mullet" and if you have one you are probably a garbage person.

who are you to deny the religious and political meaning of the mullet

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
I wonder if he walks like an Egyptian too

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

if black people appropriate the mullet and white people appropriate it back, does it become cool and acceptable?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

argondamn posted:

if black people appropriate the mullet and white people appropriate it back, does it become cool and acceptable?

never

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I honestly thought this whole thing was scripted...it isn't?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think little girls should be able to dress up as Disney Princess Mulan and have tea parties :3:, is there a place in DnD I can go to be yelled at?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Any time I see a dude with a man bun I want to forcibly cut it off

The samurai class was disbanded over a century ago, assholes!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Professor Shark posted:

I think little girls should be able to dress up as Disney Princess Mulan and have tea parties :3:, is there a place in DnD I can go to be yelled at?

Anywhere in D&D pretty much.

If you find a good spot though, tell them I agree with you.

IN
FACT

tell them that not only do I think little girls should be allowed to dress up as Mulan if they want, but also Princess Tiger Lily including warpaint.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

mdm posted:

Any time I see a dude with a man bun I want to forcibly cut it off

The samurai class was disbanded over a century ago, assholes!

Actually they were more of a caste than a class.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

yeah it's not necessarily that the end result would be bad but I think the problem is that it has to go through white people in the first place, like if hypothetically we could live in a society where there could be distinct cultural things among varying groups that weren't discriminated against up until the point they were embraced by white people it'd be better than the elvis method of incorporation. Not saying there are any easy answers or anything but it is an issue when people dismiss that this is a problem that exists in the first place to the point of comparing an area of study that many PhDs write about to chemtrails.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Actually they were more of a caste than a class.

Like the Medieval european knights.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Decebal posted:

Cultures should not mix, what's so hard to understand ? That's why Europe is closing it's borders.

Exactly, these shitlords don't get it. She's not racist, she's separatist. Duh.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
like simply because you've only seen clickbait articles and youtube videos on a topic rather than a professional succinctly summarizing an intro doesn't mean the topic itself is invalid

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

like simply because you've only seen clickbait articles and youtube videos on a topic rather than a professional succinctly summarizing an intro doesn't mean the topic itself is invalid

Chemtrails aren't real tho?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Which one has the biggest exposure to regular folk and the biggest influence ?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Chemtrails aren't real tho?

and there is not a bunch of scholarly articles talking about how they are, the topic of this thread however...

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

ArbitraryC posted:

I hope you read more than intros

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope in the future cops are rappers and they do interrogations on high value targets with a brain box in proximity mapping your thoughts while they play their song on the radio, which starts out with a few whimsical comedic questions to establish a baseline and then continues on to a bunch of references to crimes and poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I wasn't surprised by the US dreadlocks row. It's another example of cultural appropriation and white entitlement
White men have worn dreadlocks in the past. But this isn't 11th Century Scandinavia, it's modern day America, where the style is still tangled up in the black struggle against white supremacy

quote:

As the black actress Amandla Stenberg says, “appropriation occurs when the appropriator is not aware of the deep significance of the culture that they are partaking in”. By wearing dreadlocks without acknowledging their symbolic resistance, Goldstein reduces cultural power to a “cool” trend. As part of the oppressive culture, he emulates minority tradition while bypassing the discriminations that comes with it.

quote:

“My hair, my rules, my body”, Goldstein asserts, displaying a deep sense of entitlement. Sure, it’s only hair, and it is his hair to style. But does he have the right to style it in a way that has a deep cultural meaning to minority cultures? The ability to style your hair for fashion’s sake is a luxury, not a right. If it is offending others, Goldstein should consider giving up that luxury.

quote:

Goldstein reveals no political or spiritual reason for wearing dreads, apart from his claim that he “loves and respects [African American] culture”. It is possible, however, to respect culture without taking from it; you can raise awareness of its oppression and educate yourself.

quote:

Goldstein’s expression of white entitlement affirms her gloomy message. He’s taken from a minority culture and defends his actions by the same justifications used time and time again. Rather than showing “love and respect” in his way, Goldstein ought to talk to some African Americans about what dreadlocks really mean to them.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...l-a6964906.html

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Decebal posted:

Which one has the biggest exposure to regular folk and the biggest influence ?

Yeah this is certainly an issue, where "common sense" and soundbites conflict with what people who actually know what they're talking about think. Global warming is a good example of one where you probably agree with the experts and not the mewling crowds who point at snow in january as proof things are fine.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

im trying to imagine some scrawny white stoner kid walking up and asking some random black person what their hair really means to them

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

im gaye posted:

im trying to imagine some scrawny white stoner kid walking up and asking some random black person what their hair really means to them

just have him watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah it's not necessarily that the end result would be bad but I think the problem is that it has to go through white people in the first place, like if hypothetically we could live in a society where there could be distinct cultural things among varying groups that weren't discriminated against up until the point they were embraced by white people it'd be better than the elvis method of incorporation. Not saying there are any easy answers or anything but it is an issue when people dismiss that this is a problem that exists in the first place to the point of comparing an area of study that many PhDs write about to chemtrails.

So we need to keep more sharply defined racial barriers in place because white people are so much better than everyone else that they'll just steamroll everybody? Or are you saying...

ArbitraryC posted:

varying groups that weren't discriminated against up until the point they were embraced by white people

...that white people are the bridge that brings cultures together?

I mean the second one sounds kinda nice I guess, but it gives us a little too much credit I think.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

I wasn't surprised by the US dreadlocks row. It's another example of cultural appropriation and white entitlement
White men have worn dreadlocks in the past. But this isn't 11th Century Scandinavia, it's modern day America, where the style is still tangled up in the black struggle against white supremacy

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...l-a6964906.html

What a racist piece of poo poo, literally doing everything to avoid saying yes, this is part of black American culture (Jamaica). No, no i wasn't being black, don't call me black rear end in a top hat, I ain't no negro *shove*. White peoples invented this poo poo best recognize or I'll get violent etc..

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Frankenstyle posted:

So we need to keep more sharply defined racial barriers in place because white people are so much better than everyone else that they'll just steamroll everybody? Or are you saying...

...that white people are the bridge that brings cultures together?

I mean the second one sounds kinda nice I guess, but it gives us a little too much credit I think.
Nope that's not at all what I said on either account. Literally not once in this thread have I suggested that white people shouldn't be able to wear dreads or otherwise borrow things they think are cool from other cultures. In fact I explicitely said in several posts that the lady should not have harassed the guy over his choice in hairstyle and it was dumb of her to do so. I have only discussed why people are upset and talk about the doublestandards inherent in stuff like this and what cultural appropriation means from an academic context rather than a shrieking post on a gawker affiliate.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2016

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I hope everyone dies.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
aids cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

lunchtime at the asylum just got crrrazy!!!

• Locked thread