Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Cultural appropriation is the very real phenomenon where things are seen as low class, trashy, unprofessional, or whatever, until white people do it. The reason why you can't go well what about suits and straight hair is because minorities are expected to mimic white culture to be treated anywhere close to fairly in terms of employment, day to day interactions with shops/restaurants/police etc. This then means that when you see famous white person cash in on stuff white people previously looked down on there's some pretty well earned resentment, rap is perhaps one of the easiest examples of this when you get people saying poo poo like "im glad someone is finally rapping about important stuff rather than bitches and hoes" and it's inevitably a white rapper. Its not so much resentment over people stealing or diluting their culture (which would be dumb because stuff like dreads developed independently across the world) but instead its anger over the general feeling that something is bad when minorities do it but okay when white people do it. With dreads people will think hes a harmless dumb hippy for example but if he were a big black dude people might be intimidated or associate it with crime.

That said its more an academic discussion thing and less of you should get snippy about white people wearing dreads or twerking, people who do that usually have a very shallow understanding of the topic and just want an excuse to feel vindicated while being be a dick to someone, such as the event in the op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

im gaye posted:

ironically, all of those low class cultural signifiers also lose part of the stigma over time when young white people show an interest in it

see: everything
Yeah thats true to, ultimately if you want certain styles of dance, art, music, fashion, etc, to be accepted mainstream you're going have to let white people coopt them but that in itself should be considered a problem.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

That they're considered bad until white people do them too?

Like my point wasnt that we shouldn't let white people participate but that things typically associated just with specific minority groups shouldn't be looked down on either.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

funkybottoms posted:

so countries with little to no white population don't have a mainstream, or is it just totally insignificant?
This is always the dumbest gotcha in existence, we're talking about a western perspective of the problem in a thread of mostly white posters if you wanna start a thread about cultural appropriation in china go ahead.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

im gaye posted:

thats not an appropriation problem "in itself" thats part of a larger dysfunction

singling out appropriation itself is silly because its a fairly benign and very natural process
Yeah for sure i agree with this and even said so in my first post itt, i think its largely an academic topic meant to put words to a problem that is felt by many but not well articulated. This thread consisting of a bunch of people acting like the issue as a whole is entirely made up in the minds of sjws is a pretty good example. Like its possible to both acknowledge that the girl in the op was a big dummy and that having white people be cultural gatekeepers of what is and isn't okay in society can make people feel disenfranchised and excluded from the system.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

This some "chemtrails" kinda poo poo right here
Its not like im going to convince you either way but it is a thing plenty of people far smarter and well versed in sociology than either of us have written about and it plays a big role in stuff like people with black sounding names being less likely to get called back on job applications. If you were truly interested in the subject matter im sure some enlightening reads wouldn't be farther than a google search away but we both know thats not the case.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

the black husserl posted:

sure sure yes goons cultural appropriation doesn't exist i get it gently caress the millennials but dreadlocks are kind of a big deal in the black community for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with stealing anyone's culture. Anthony Mackie (black actor guy from Selma) got savaged on Twitter last year because he said what a lot of black ppl know/fear about dreadlocks in the back of their heads

a white person doesn't have to deal with that. white dude probably doesn't have to worry about getting beaten up or arrested (maybe weed lol) cause of his dreads. instead he has to worry about people calling him a smelly hippy or tossing him frisbees. that shits weird for black people cause its a freedom they don't have. so remember, next time you see a black person with dreads, please invite them to play frisbee

literally got called crazy for making this point last page lol

ArbitraryC posted:

Its not so much resentment over people stealing or diluting their culture (which would be dumb because stuff like dreads developed independently across the world) but instead its anger over the general feeling that something is bad when minorities do it but okay when white people do it. With dreads people will think hes a harmless dumb hippy for example but if he were a big black dude people might be intimidated or associate it with crime.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Decebal posted:

If I see a white guys with tattoos up his neck and pants hanging down I will consider him an idiot too.

cluelesswhitepeople.txt

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

im gaye posted:

but the point that is invariably made after your point is "whats the/your point" and there isnt one

nah that was really just you and my response was that people were justifiably upset about the doublestandards but the topic overall was more one that you just needed to know about then something you need to call individuals out on. Kind of an awareness thing and this thread is a really good example of how not enough people are yet aware of it. hence why I said that it was a valid academic discussion but the lady getting super confrontational over a dumb hippy was still wrong, sometimes everyone's wrong.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

That double standard sucks, but wouldn't you want a bunch of people rolling around with dreads then to take away the stigma?

yeah it's not necessarily that the end result would be bad but I think the problem is that it has to go through white people in the first place, like if hypothetically we could live in a society where there could be distinct cultural things among varying groups that weren't discriminated against up until the point they were embraced by white people it'd be better than the elvis method of incorporation. Not saying there are any easy answers or anything but it is an issue when people dismiss that this is a problem that exists in the first place to the point of comparing an area of study that many PhDs write about to chemtrails.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
like simply because you've only seen clickbait articles and youtube videos on a topic rather than a professional succinctly summarizing an intro doesn't mean the topic itself is invalid

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Chemtrails aren't real tho?

and there is not a bunch of scholarly articles talking about how they are, the topic of this thread however...

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Decebal posted:

Which one has the biggest exposure to regular folk and the biggest influence ?

Yeah this is certainly an issue, where "common sense" and soundbites conflict with what people who actually know what they're talking about think. Global warming is a good example of one where you probably agree with the experts and not the mewling crowds who point at snow in january as proof things are fine.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Frankenstyle posted:

So we need to keep more sharply defined racial barriers in place because white people are so much better than everyone else that they'll just steamroll everybody? Or are you saying...

...that white people are the bridge that brings cultures together?

I mean the second one sounds kinda nice I guess, but it gives us a little too much credit I think.
Nope that's not at all what I said on either account. Literally not once in this thread have I suggested that white people shouldn't be able to wear dreads or otherwise borrow things they think are cool from other cultures. In fact I explicitely said in several posts that the lady should not have harassed the guy over his choice in hairstyle and it was dumb of her to do so. I have only discussed why people are upset and talk about the doublestandards inherent in stuff like this and what cultural appropriation means from an academic context rather than a shrieking post on a gawker affiliate.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 3, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Rasta_Al posted:

I'm not gonna look back through this whole thread, but I'm fairly confident you've done nothing to define cultural appropriation other than allude to some scholarly articles that you've failed to provide.

I've provided several examples of stuff that was either non-white in origin and popularized by white people or stuff that is seen/treated significantly differently when done by a minority than done by a white person. So have other people itt. Further interest could be sated by google searches but it's obvious to everyone that the people dismissing the topic completely out of hand as crazy or on the level of chemtrail conspiracies are not actually genuinely and honestly interested in expanding their views on the subject.

It's w/e, I'm not an expert and I never claimed to be I just know I have read people far more well versed in such sociological subjects than I discussing the kinds of double standards inherent to stuff like dreads and I thought it was kind of lame a bunch of people were acting like it's an absolutely non existent problem simply because they've never experienced the other side of the coin. To me people who don't believe this is an issue are the same kind of people who dismiss academic opinions on vaccines, global warming, etc. I get that to most people the only times you really see the topic discussed are via clickbait websites and dumb tumblr posts, but there are smart professors who could probably give simplified explanations that would satisfy you if you could go back in time and take some intro classes to pad out your gened requirements. I can't provide you good sources out of hand because it's been over half a decade since I was in those classes myself and is otherwise outside of the fields I went on to pursue.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

you know this is old and out of touch because it doesn't include cis

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

I'm in an interracial relationship. . . . and I'm white!

Am I a monster?

Isn't one of the prolific dnd (or ex-dnd) goons a white dude who does sexual master/slave roleplay with his black girlfriend?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Danger Mahoney posted:

Hey can someone who thinks cultural appropriation is an actual thing that exists give me a quick list of what things which things are forbidden to which races? It's getting confusing and I don't want to hurt no feelings or nothing by mistake.

Just start with "black people are not allowed to _____" and then go to white and Asian, thx

The comprehensive list:
-nothing as that's not what the actual issue is about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Danger Mahoney posted:

Okay now I'm more confused what exactly am I supposed to feel shame about with regards to cultural approvoption. Am I supposed to just feel a general sense of shame all the time or just when I like eat dim sum.

Identity politics is so hard. :(

Go back and read this post (it has a quote in the quote that I appended with "):

the black husserl posted:

sure sure yes goons cultural appropriation doesn't exist i get it gently caress the millennials but dreadlocks are kind of a big deal in the black community for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with stealing anyone's culture. Anthony Mackie (black actor guy from Selma) got savaged on Twitter last year because he said what a lot of black ppl know/fear about dreadlocks in the back of their heads

"“I said ‘My nephew came to me and he said I’ma grow dreadlocks…So speaking as someone who had dreadlocks, I sat my nephew down. I turned on ‘First 48’ because it’s one of my favorite shows. So there are all these young black men being arrested, being killed. The majority of them have dreadlocks. It’s a phenomenon now. Young men want dreadlocks because it’s cool.

“So I told him ‘You will be perceived as this. If you wear your pants hanging off your behind, if you wear your shoes a certain way, if you got tattoos all up your neck. I’m not saying that’s what you are, but you will be perceived as this. And with perception comes profiling,”"

a white person doesn't have to deal with that. white dude probably doesn't have to worry about getting beaten up or arrested (maybe weed lol) cause of his dreads. instead he has to worry about people calling him a smelly hippy or tossing him frisbees. that shits weird for black people cause its a freedom they don't have. so remember, next time you see a black person with dreads, please invite them to play frisbee

The issue isn't whether or not white people can/should style their hair however but how there are doublestandards in how a white person with dreads (a dumb hippy) is viewed compared to black americans. At it's core this is the kind of point academics discussing cultural appropriation want to get at. some people will use this as a means of picking fights with individuals or specific organization in kind of a dumb/inappropriate way (such as the video that sparked this thread) but it really isn't about categorically determining who can or can't do this/that based on their skin color and that's just a stupid simplification used by people who have no real intention in intellectually engaging in the topic.

• Locked thread