Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Everyone just stand still and don't do a goddamn thing! Wouldn't want anyone appropriatin' anyone's culture now, ya hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
However, Cory Goldstein is gonna poo poo when this BAP comes around sportin' a dope rear end yarmulke.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

In Thailand they didn't really celebrate birthdays so they didn't have a happy birthday song. When it became general knowledge that people in other countries celebrated birthdays they of course wanted a birthday song to sing. So they just stole the happy birthday song, which they sing in English while clapping a little too quickly for how the song goes, except for the part where it goes "Happy birthday dear Person's Name" they just "Happy birthday, happy birthday happy birthday."

This is cute and a good thing and it shows that Thai people are capable of appreciating and integrating foreign things into their lives. Getting frothy and demanding they not sing happy birthday, or even further that they ought not celebrate birthdays at all because at one time they did not, is really loving stupid. Even if their birthday song is kinda ching chongy and bad.

It's the same for anyone that actually thinks cultural appropriation is a bad thing. It's a good thing. There's nothing wrong with a white woman buying a mumu. It's fine for an Italian to make sushi. Your culture doesn't belong to you, it's not an ownable thing. You have an advantage when you participate in it, be happy to leave it at that.

Thai people aren't the problem man. Cultural appropriation exists on the very broad spectrum of 'everything is cool as long as a white person isn't doing it.'

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

nah that was really just you and my response was that people were justifiably upset about the doublestandards but the topic overall was more one that you just needed to know about then something you need to call individuals out on. Kind of an awareness thing and this thread is a really good example of how not enough people are yet aware of it. hence why I said that it was a valid academic discussion but the lady getting super confrontational over a dumb hippy was still wrong, sometimes everyone's wrong.

Yeah! Sometimes everyone's wrong.... accept for ArbitraryC here.

Since you're so culturally aware of everything, maybe you could enlighten all of us?
What's the harm in some stupid rear end Jewish dude rolling around with dreads aside from looking like an idiot? It's hair for fucks sake. Like someone said, it's not like he's rolling around in blackface.

Rasta_Al fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 3, 2016

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

Nope that's not at all what I said on either account. Literally not once in this thread have I suggested that white people shouldn't be able to wear dreads or otherwise borrow things they think are cool from other cultures. In fact I explicitely said in several posts that the lady should not have harassed the guy over his choice in hairstyle and it was dumb of her to do so. I have only discussed why people are upset and talk about the doublestandards inherent in stuff like this and what cultural appropriation means from an academic context rather than a shrieking post on a gawker affiliate.

I'm not gonna look back through this whole thread, but I'm fairly confident you've done nothing to define cultural appropriation other than allude to some scholarly articles that you've failed to provide.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuXIjuWjtKs

Gonna spice up this thread with some sexy jams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

RaceBannon posted:

The real fashion crime committed here was the way that other guy was dressed.

*black comedian paces back and forth on stage*

But 'ey, yo... bitches be crazy.... they be CRAY-ZEEE. Ooooooo-WEE... crazy!

*camera cuts to two black ladies laughin super loud and bouncin in their seats*

Yall see dis video with the black bitch buggin dat nappy headed little white boy with them lovely little dreads?

*crowd yells back a mixture of 'Mmmmhmmmmm's' and 'Yeah boy!'s'*

Little nappy rear end dreads lookin' like a little dog poo poo you see on yo lawnnnnnn... poo poo is NAZ-TAY!

*boisterous laughter erupts from the crowd*

And dat bitch... who she think she is? Huh? OOOO' who... da.... gently caress... she... think... she... ISSSSS?

.....Walkin' up lookin like she got two stray Cheerio's in her hair.... with some dude lookin' like a rejected extra from a DeBarge video!

*black ladies fall from their seats laughing and roll on the floor kicking their feet*

• Locked thread