Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
The ending of Charles Willeford's Grimhaven always gives me chills. The book was the original follow-up to his 1984 detective novel Miami Blues, but Willeford's publisher deemed it far too bleak and refused to release it (Lawrence Block writes about some of the background here ).

All you really need to know about the basic plot is that protagonist Hoke Mosely commits an unconscionable act. He has his reasons, but they don't matter. Nothing matters.

quote:

If he pled Guilty, he would get life, which meant a minimum of twenty-five years at Raiford Prison. As an ex-cop, with all of the enemies he had at Raiford, he wouldn't last twenty-five days in the general population. No, he would plead Not Guilty, as planned, and gratefully accept his deserved sentence to the electric chair.

At Raiford, however, there were more than a hundred condemned men already between him and the chair and they would all go first. His appeals would mean from eight to as long as ten years of peace and silence in a single cell, all by himself, on Death Row, before all of his appeals and stays were exhausted.

Privacy at last and no more hassles. He could work uninterrupted on his chess problems and perhaps read the Great Books, something else he had always wanted to do. He would have the time now, with no one to bother him, and with no one forcing him to do anything he didn't want to do. Once a man fully understands the joys of a life without struggle, he is equipped with the basic means of salvation.

In the end, of course, they would fry him in the chair, but by that time he would be at least fifty years old. He still had many quiet years ahead and a much happier existence than he had lived up until now.

Hoke, watching the moonlight on the black ocean, lit another cigarette. He sat there quietly, smoking, and waiting.

Waiting for absolutely nothing.

Grimhaven has never been published, but copies of the text aren't too difficult to track down. I highly recommend all of Willeford's work, although I wouldn't advise starting with this. It is a dark, dark novel. Noir fiction taken to its logical conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Retail Slave posted:

I've always been a sucker for the end of Rocky II-- the final round of the fight. Gets me every time. I am not joking and I have terrible taste in movies.

The last few minutes of Creed, from the pre-final round talk to the credits, legit made me tear up. Great stuff.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
The way Fallout New Vegas's endings has the characters you helped/screwed tell what happened to them after everything is over is one many things that make this game great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E80uavRuhLQ

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

Suikoden 5.

In case anyone doesn't know, the Suikoden series is based around gathering 108 chosen people to battle in massive campaigns and wars and whatnot: if you find all 108 in one of the games, you generally get some bonus (usually a better ending). This ending is somewhat circumstantial, but eh.

The plot of Suikoden 5 boils down to trying to settle down a country's troubles and claim 'The Sun Rune'. The main character and his bodyguard/lifelong friend in the course of the game claim two 'guardian runes' that are tied to the Sun Rune. One of the mini games of the series is dueling, which is basically rock paper scissors. Generally, if you lose a duel, it's game over and you die.

One of the secondary villains is a former peer of the prince's bodyguard turned assassin, and you fight him just before the last boss in a duel with said bodyguard. I screwed up and lost, but instead of a game over, the prince took over as the duelist (which I won). Heading to face the final boss...

If you don't have 108 Stars, your bodyguard ends up dying of her wounds after the final boss fight, whether you won the duel with her or not. This is the 'bad' ending. If, however, you find all 108 Stars, she will also die, but your two guardian runes will resonate with the Sun Rune and (after a scene with various ghosts of important people who died in the game's plot, including the main character's parents) bring her back to life for the good ending. What made this extra effective is I thought because I lost the duel with the bodyguard, I'd blown it and was going to get the bad ending, so the good ending ended up being an accidental fakeout and hence was even more satisfying.

Ending shown here. Might not work in a vacuum: you have to picture playing through the whole game, getting to know the characters, and make the mistakes I did. You can definitely see why, from how it is structured, I thought I got the bad ending, as well.

My favorite part of S5 is that whether you even have the option to get the 'best' ending is also dependent on how you treated your sister at the beginning of the game.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
The ending of the movie Buried still gets to me when I think about it and I haven't seen it in years. It's perfect

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The ending for Prince of Persia, the 2008 game, is pretty great.

I guess a lot of people hated it but it was beautifully tragic. Ellka sacrifices herself to rid the world of evil. The protagonist decides to undo all the work, dooming the world to the same cycle, to bring her back to life.

Then they went and ruined it with the expansion pack because gamers complained.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The film La Haine opens with "Heard about the guy who fell off a skyscraper? On his way down past each floor, he kept saying to reassure himself: So far so good… so far so good…". The film is about three hodlums in Paris and follows them for 24 hours. I'm not going to detail the ending but most people will have forgotten the opening quote until it happens. I still think about the ending years on.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Sopranos

Wait, no, gently caress you.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

britishbornandbread posted:

Sopranos

Wait, no, gently caress you.

It was perfect :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
When I was younger I recorded some late night programme on VHS and before the show I wanted started it showed literally the last 2 minutes of Videodrome. This entails James Woods shooting a guy with a flesh gun that gives him mega cancer, causing his flesh to crack open as giant, pulsating tumours sprout from the wounds, then walking into a shed and shooting himself in the loving head. Then his TV explodes.

It's really loving strange without context and has kinda stuck with me ever since.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

It was perfect :colbert:

Was there something going on at the time that caused it to "end" with Season 5, where Tony escapes being arrested with Johnny Sacks and has some sort of condensed odyssey, where he's running through the woods, meadows, and strange neighborhoods, and ends up talking to his lawyer right before he gets home and learns that his crew is in a prime position to take over New York? Then he walks in the door and you can hear him switch to Domestic Tony?

I liked that ending better than whatever the hell happened with the last mini season.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I honestly just mean the actual last scene, in the diner with Don't Stop Believin', not the last season as a whole . To ramp the tension up like that, to film it the way the did, and then have it just cut to credits is goddamn hilarious and cruel and perfect. I couldn't stop laughing.

Six Feet Under's end sequence was also goddamn fantastic, but I think that's a known fact.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What discourages me from watching much more of the Sopranos is that a friend told me it's a five-season show that's seven-seasons long. Also, unlike The Wire which makes you empathise with people stuck in the Game, this show will make you believe all Italian-Americans are wankers.

The Wire had a good-ish ending. Its last season was the weakest due to being to being cramped into 10 episodes, focusing on an issue no-one cares about, and having McNulty engaging in a cunning plan that suspends belief, but it was all worth it to see Bubbles go clean and walk up those stairs.

edit: gently caress Youtube.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Apr 13, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It had it's original ending in season three which is why that is the best season.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I don't recall being affected by the ending of a book the way I was by Greg Bear's "The Forge of God." The entire story revolves around unraveling the mystery of whats happening at the center of the earth, and on the disappearance of one of Jupiter's moons, and the effects and alignments of alien visitors.

The tone and revelations crescendo towards the end, until its revealed that the earth is being destroyed, and humanity has only days to figure out a way to stop it. Contact with an alien race, who may or may not be responsible, slowly reveals clues about the impending disaster and its nature; various people around the earth are being 'guided.'

And then the earth loving blows up. A handful of children are allowed to escape, for some unknown purpose, guided by these 'others' but after all the journeys and self discovery of the many main characters, its all wiped out in an instant.

Looking back, it was fairly foreshadowed, but after reading as many pulp sci fi novels as I have over the years, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009
The ending skit / theme song of MST3K. The song is both cheezy and heroic at the same time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The super abrupt ending of the Aeneid.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I always felt that the ending to Fire Walk With Me was even more soulcrushing. I've had discussions on this forum about it where people say they find it uplifting or positive in some way, but all I see in Laura's face is sadness. Like, yea she's happy she doesn't have to suffer anymore but as a viewer I feel the weight of everything she's been though in that scene, and it kills me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwtjVJmHtI

Yeah, I can see where your coming from. I always equated the angel that appears in the end is the same angel that she watches literally disappear from the kiche painting on her wall earlier in the film, the one with the angel feeding the victorian children. I think for a lot of children they get to experience this false but essential sense that their is a magical conspiracy to keep you safe, loved and protected and Laura she's that fade, she literally can only have access to that in death which is devastating.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
The ending to Killer Joe has been one of my recent favorites.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

B.H. Facials posted:

The ending to Killer Joe has been one of my recent favorites.

It was hard to eat a chicken drumstick for a while after that.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The ending, in fact the entire third act of Whiplash.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm looking forward to the ending... of my wasted life! :mrgw:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The end of the Final Cut of Blade Runner just couldn't be any more perfect in my mind. The way the camera rushes to follow Deckard and Rachel as they get into the elevator, the music, the sudden cut to black. Ugh its perfect

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the ending of One Foot in the Grave, an old UK sitcom I got around to watching via a boxset, about an elderly man called Victor Meldrew forced into retirement after losing his job and his struggles to fill the time. Close to the end of the show he is invited to a reunion of an old company he used to work for, which is the first time in a long time he's really been excited for something. He arrives and awaits everyone else but noone comes, so he spends a couple of hours chatting to the waiter about his old mate Limpy that he was hoping to see again. Eventually it becomes clear that noone else is coming so he leaves, dejected, and in a heartbreaking moment after he leaves, Limpy finally shows up, likely about to go through the same thing.

Victor never makes it home. He is killed by a hit and run, which was foreshadowed with a dark joke in an earlier episode where Victor fears his wife, Margaret has died due to no contact for a concerning amount of time, and when she gets back she quips "Oh, you'll die before I do.". His wife starts investigating the hit and run in the final episode, admitting to a new friend that she makes while looking into it that she doesn't know what she'll do if she ever find the person, she's in a very dark place. Then her new friend finally plucks up the courage to admit to being the driver that night. Margaret forgives her and offers to go inside and make her another lemonade, and while she is in the kitchen her friend asks her for a painkiller. Margaret gives the painkillers a furtive look and heads out. The next scene is her leaving the womans house, not revealing whether she gave into her urges and snuck an overdose into the woman's drink or whether she was able to resist.

I liked that air of mystery around the end of the show, that did-she-or-didn't-she aspect.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Calvary, when the ending occurs the sheer weight of everything that had gone on just hits and I remember it being one of the few times in a cinema where no one got up right away, people just sat there in silence for about a few minutes.

Also Blackadder Goes Forth is just heart-wrenching.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the ending of One Foot in the Grave.

What the gently caress? I never really watched One Foot in the Grave because I was too busy hanging around on street corners and drinking but I always had it down as some soft, barely there fluff comedy for me Nan or something. That's loving bonkers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Drunken Baker posted:

What the gently caress? I never really watched One Foot in the Grave because I was too busy hanging around on street corners and drinking but I always had it down as some soft, barely there fluff comedy for me Nan or something. That's loving bonkers.

One Foot in the Grave features Elderly abuse, accidental animal death, numerous suicides and probably the only Christmas special where someone has a miscarriage. It is very British.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This is like finding out that Coronation Street has been about Satanism and virgin sacrifices since the 80's.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, season 2 has a melancholy twist right after the start, they get back from holiday and are met with one of their friends who advises them that their home no longer exists, due to arson gutting the place, followed by a hurricane. The scene is funny, the reaction when they arrive, however, is much more melancholy:

https://youtu.be/_C_tWbcMEGM?t=197 - scene and reaction till 9:55

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am a big fan of the end of Coheed and Cambria's double album The Afterman.

Seven out of the band's eight albums take place in a sci-go world called Heaven's Fence which is 78 planets held together in a triangle by lines of mystic force, which turns out to be powered by Space Ghosts burning in Space Hell. The Afterman albums tell a prequel story about Sirius Amory, the scientist who discovers the Space Afterlife when he creates a ship and suit meant to be capable of traversing the beams of the triangle.

Well, by the second or third song, he's reached Space Hell and is doing all kinds of sciency poo poo, but just outside the light his ship has been ripped apart by strange mystic forces. His wife, watching back on their home planet, sees his ship explode and assumes the worst as over a year passes. Lonely, his wife starts dating another man.

Meanwhile, only days have passed for Sirius, but he's almost dead. He keeps getting possessed by angry Space Ghosts and its loving up his body tremendously. He drifts across a new type of entity, a space ghost that has ascended its own personal hell to become a being of peace and light. This entity restores Sirius, and after interacting with it he's able to help another tortured space ghost ascend to the same level. When he wakes up and realizes his ship has disappeared he manages to kick off of a celestial body and land on a space station to return to his planet.

He gets home and is hailed as a hero and a genius, but he doesn't tell anyone about the horrific afterlife that he experienced for fear of being labeled a lunatic. His wife, grateful that he's home, is still distant and it leads to a fight in the car. After finding out his wife is pregnant from another man, they get in a car accident and his wife doesn't survive.

The end of the album is Sirius rebuilding his ship, but planning for a one-way journey this time as he decides to return to the burning afterlife and spend the rest of his (presumably short) life finding his wife's soul to free her and help her ascend. The way it's framed with the music is just fantastic.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sorry for the derail. I've never seen a single episode of 'One Foot' but I'll have to go back and check it out now. Cheers.

I'll contribute something now.

If you're into horror then you have to watch THE BORDERLANDS (Final Prayer in the US)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2781832/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I know this goes without saying when it comes to a horror film, but seriously do NOT spoil the film for yourself if you have an inkling to see it. Don't even look up clips on youtube because even though it's only a half second flash it shows something from the end that kind of gives away the finale. It's not a twist, by any means, but still...

The Borderlands is a found footage horror which initially turns a lot of people off. The thing is, unlike most other found footage films this one uses the medium perfectly and doesn't reply on cheap scare and jump scenes. A Vatican representative tasked with debunking hauntings teams up with an initially sceptical 'techie' and it's their job to investigate an ancient, remote church on the borderlands of Scotland.

The film is just soaked in dread and atmosphere, there's a constant sensation that something is wrong but ironically it's also really funny because the two leads quickly form a friendship as they delve deeper into the madness. Spoilers ahead, if any of this sounds remotely like something you'd like to experience go and see the film and come back and we'll get into the most insane ending of any films I've seen to date. An ending that gave me nightmares, something that means nothing to you because you don't know me but I'm a middle aged man for god's sake, I shouldn't have nightmares... Anyway...

Throughout the film we're given hints that something is wrong with the entire village that surrounds the Church and not just the building itself. The people who live there are off, but not in a Innsmouth way. It's more insidious, more spiritual. There's talk of old Pagan gods and demons. Not the hoof footed satyr's from the pages of the Bible, but beings that make up the earth itself. Towards the end of the film they call in an old and powerful exorcist who begins a ritual in the main hall of the church and things go NUTS. Fleeing into the catacombs below the church our two heroes discover (and are led, it seems) horrific altars where human sacrifices took place, evidence of babies being put to the blade to feed the demon and so on. They get lost and descend deeper still into the earth. Panic sets in and apparitions of the exorcist lead them deeper and deeper still. The find themselves trying to escape through a cramped tunnel only to witness the path ahead close, a huge sphincter-like muscle clamping down like the shutter on a camera. The way back too, has sealed itself as the digestive tract of the demon, the earth itself begins to loving digest them alive.

:stare:

Everyone who I've bullied into watching the film (It IS a hard sell without giving it away) has said they've never seen a film that has stuck with them more than this. So please, watch The Borderlands.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One Foot in the Grave features Elderly abuse, accidental animal death, numerous suicides and probably the only Christmas special where someone has a miscarriage. It is very British.

Was the whole show like that, or did it take a dark turn to the end?

I caught it a few times channel hopping but it never held my interest, as was said it came across a show for the elderly.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I thought Half-Life 2 (disregarding the episodes) had a well put together ending. You enter the game world abruptly at the start of the game and leave it just as fast. That's it, you're done here, on to the next adventure, and City 17 and everyone in it may as well have just vanished - and if you think about it in a meta way, you're about to shut down the game too. If they had moved right on to Half-Life 3 with a completely different setting, cast of characters, and gameplay, it still would have worked just as well, perhaps even a bit better.

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jun 10, 2016

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
I just finished East of Eden and Lee pleading with a bed ridden Adam to release and please not crush Cal with rejection over Aron's death in the war was a really powerful ending I thought.

Cal told his brother Aron that their mom, who they thought was dead, actually abandoned them and their father and secretly ran a whore house in the town they lived in and took Aron to see her. Aron flipped out after finding out and joined the army to fight in WWI and was killed. When their father Adam found out he had a stroke and laid basically paralyzed in bed.

The soul crushing guilt of his actions tore Cal up and when he confessed to his father he thought he saw accusation in his eyes. Lee who is the long time caretaker of the family brought Cal into Adam's room and begged Adam to not die before releasing Cal of his overwhelming guilt.

With great effort Adam finally says;

"Timshel!"

Which in an earlier part of the book is explained as Hebrew for "thou mayest' the actual translation of what God said to Abel in the bible. Thou mayest choose to do whatever you do, good or bad. It's the choice of the individual, no-one is victim to the actions of our ancestors we are all free to make our own decisions and own our destinies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The ending of The Thick of It. There's a chance that one of the characters actually does a good thing... but then, he gets too scared to do it, and everyone ends up being broken shells of human beings, pretty much as has been indicated throughout the whole series. Whether they were like that at the beginning, though, or whether politics did it to them, I think is best summarised by Malcolm's last speech to Ollie. Damned if I can find it on youtube, tho.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FalsePriest posted:

I just finished East of Eden and Lee pleading with a bed ridden Adam to release and please not crush Cal with rejection over Aron's death in the war was a really powerful ending I thought.

Cal told his brother Aron that their mom, who they thought was dead, actually abandoned them and their father and secretly ran a whore house in the town they lived in and took Aron to see her. Aron flipped out after finding out and joined the army to fight in WWI and was killed. When their father Adam found out he had a stroke and laid basically paralyzed in bed.

The soul crushing guilt of his actions tore Cal up and when he confessed to his father he thought he saw accusation in his eyes. Lee who is the long time caretaker of the family brought Cal into Adam's room and begged Adam to not die before releasing Cal of his overwhelming guilt.

With great effort Adam finally says;

"Timshel!"

Which in an earlier part of the book is explained as Hebrew for "thou mayest' the actual translation of what God said to Abel in the bible. Thou mayest choose to do whatever you do, good or bad. It's the choice of the individual, no-one is victim to the actions of our ancestors we are all free to make our own decisions and own our destinies.

Yeah this was insanely good

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Book-wise, I gotta go with "He loved Big Brother."

Crow Jane posted:

Six Feet Under's end sequence was also goddamn fantastic, but I think that's a known fact.
Six Feet Under's final montage is pretty much the mic drop of TV endings. The show fell off a bit in later seasons but that ending still manages to affect me after how much time you've spent with the characters whether you love or hate them. It's not just a series of emotional gut-punches, but the production of the scene is perfect.

Ddraig posted:

The ending for Prince of Persia, the 2008 game, is pretty great.
The Sands trilogy has some really great endings too. You hear the Prince's speech about the flow of time at the beginning and believe he's just narrating to you, the player, through the whole game. Near the end you realize he was talking to Farah the whole time because his whole adventure had been erased in order to save her life.

But then after erasing that timeline too via the events of the 2nd game, he begins the 3rd game in a timeline where Farah never met him at all. Through this adventure they meet yet again. Now he has to convince her of how he knows her and why she can trust him. At the very end of the 3rd, he recites that same speech from the opening of the 1st game again to explain his entire journey to her yet again. There's no other way they could've ended it better, but it also makes you wonder if he's doomed to do this forever.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The ending of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian always makes my skin creep when I think back on it. It's perfect.

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I

Professor Shark posted:

I thought that the ending was really bad and Darabont was bad and so is the self-professed Worst Ending Writer, Stephen King, for saying it was good

In the story the characters fade away after you find out that you're reading type-written pages of something that has happened an unknown time ago, just as you quickly emerge into the story yourself, it's really well done imo, and it was accomplished in only a couple sentences

this...isn't the ending to The Mist short story/novella at all. Can you quote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If they'd have gotten the dudes to grown a beard at the end of The Mist it would have made a bit more sense. Instead it feels like they drove about half an hour and the chewed down on the guns.

Like in The Division where its meant to take place over years but if you blink and miss the Christmas decorations appearing and vanishing in a few transitional shots you'd think everyone has just turned into horrible primate monsters over a weekend.

• Locked thread