Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

Someone somehow did even worse against nova than Iowa did lol

FYI some Iowan gymnast just ate poo poo on high bar in the conference individual championships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

FYI some Iowan gymnast just ate poo poo on high bar in the conference individual championships

Cool

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Basketball is the only major sport where the best college team would have a chance to beat the worst pro team right?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
:laffo: at that "Nova vs 76ers" tweet

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Basketball is the only major sport where the best college team would have a chance to beat the worst pro team right?

No.

gently caress no.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Speaking of gymnastics it seems like I need to become a fan of the sport since it seems like that's the only thing Oklahoma can win in these days.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

a very good chance they both reside in the same city

weird

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

No.

gently caress no.

Even when a team might have 2 or 3 lottery picks that probably could have been drafted out of high school and contribute right away if it was still allowed?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

AhahhahahhahahahhHahHhahHahhahahaha

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I didn't know it was possible to lose this badly in the final four. drat OU.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hahahah

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

the phillies nearly lost to their own farm team lol

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably not. Even the best college teams are mostly players who will never make it in the pros.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even when a team might have 2 or 3 lottery picks that probably could have been drafted out of high school if it was still allowed?

Yes. Rookies are pretty much always bad. Even LeBron wasn't very good relative to the NBA as a whole as a rookie.

The Wolves have multiple recent number one picks with some actual NBA experience and are still garbage

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CoronaryBypass posted:

Speaking of gymnastics it seems like I need to become a fan of the sport since it seems like that's the only thing Oklahoma can win in these days.

Illinois won it a few years back but haven't repeated. It'd be a lot better sport if loving osu/mich weren't so good, but Oklahoma's had a great run recently

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hey it's not like I'm one of those retards a few years ago arguing that Alabama could beat the Lions. The best ever CFB team would lose by 60 to the 08 Lions. Basketball just seems like it has the easiest jump from amateur to pro for any major sport but I'm probably underestimating it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey it's not like I'm one of those retards a few years ago arguing that Alabama could beat the Lions. The best ever CFB team would lose by 60 to the 08 Lions. Basketball just seems like it has the easiest jump from amateur to pro for any major sport but I'm probably underestimating it.

it is far far harder for anyone in college to play in the nba than it is any other sport

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

you pretty much are tho

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

a very good chance they both reside in the same city

weird

lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The vastly more sophisticated offenses and superior defensive abilities of pretty much everyone plus access to NBA weight rooms and training regimens would lead to a massacre in which every possession ends in a dunk

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

even the kentucky teams with all the nba talent would get totally owned by the sixers

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

The vastly more sophisticated offenses and superior defensive abilities of pretty much everyone plus access to NBA weight rooms and training regimens would lead to a massacre in which every possession ends in a dunk

I stand corrected.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wtf is this guy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

even the kentucky teams with all the nba talent would get totally owned by the sixers
The first 60 point blowout where the winning team shoots less than 30%

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The difference in athleticism is off the charts, plenty of dudes dominate in college and just can't do anything as a pro.

Like, 1990 UNLV or the Fab Five might have come the closest to being able to hang athletically, but the instant you have to sub someone in they'd be playing 4 on 5. And even before that they'd be at a huge disadvantage.

e: Beaten. Yeah it's just a different world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

If all those players went into a time machine back to college it would be a pretty cool matchup though. Wake Forest Ish plus UK Nerlens and Duke Elton Brand vs. the 2015 Kentucky squad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
adam morrison and jimmer ferdette were literal college players of the year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcdermott was unstoppable in college

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

The difference in athleticism is off the charts, plenty of dudes dominate in college and just can't do anything as a pro.

Like, 1990 UNLV or the Fab Five might have come the closest to being able to hang athletically, but the instant you have to sub someone in they'd be playing 4 on 5. And even before that they'd be at a huge disadvantage.

e: Beaten. Yeah it's just a different world.

And even both of those teams had like three NBA players and only a couple of them were particularly good early in their NBA careers, the difference in depth would be absurd.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and now a game with teams no one wants to win

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

UConn vs. whoever's last in the WNBA maybe but nah.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

and now a game with teams no one wants to win

UNC is fun to watch and would be okay unless you're a baby about teams who win a lot or irrationally angry at Roy Williams for stealing every single basketball player of note from your team's backyard

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So I guess that leaves golf as the only sport where the amateurs can compete with professionals. Oh well.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
iirc back when olympic teams were still all amateur, a bunch of college players beat a pro team in a scrimmage.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I guess that leaves golf as the only sport where the amateurs can compete with professionals. Oh well.

that almost never happens either!

It turns out there is a reason professional athletes are professionals

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

UNC is fun to watch and would be okay unless you're a baby about teams who win a lot
thread title

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kindermord posted:

iirc back when olympic teams were still all amateur, a bunch of college players beat a pro team in a scrimmage.

A college all star team beat the dream team in a scrimmage the dream team coach actively tried to lose and then lost by like 70 in the rematch

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nah Duke is actually evil

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

kindermord posted:

ok maybe i was remembering grant hill and co beating the dream team http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25067824/watch-grant-hill-recalls-beating-the-dream-team-in-a-scrimmage

e: yeah like mourningview said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I hate UNC and Roy Williams mostly because they dominate my team literally every time but no one wants loving Syracuse in the title game with an NIT resume.

It's all your fault Middle Tennessee

• Locked thread