Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ratings really aren't a huge thing with anime. MHA is already mega popular, so it's pretty much already guaranteed to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Absolutely loved this episode. All Might and Midoriya are great.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
This fills the shonen-shaped hole in my anime schedule I didn't even realize I had.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

We got the obligatory beach episode out of the system early.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Deku's first meeting with Ochaco will never not be the best :allears:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Terper posted:

We got the obligatory beach episode out of the system early.

Ugh, I thought I would enjoy this series, but I'm disappointed they're jumping right into blatant fanservice. What a shame.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Aww they took out the Super Mario Bros. allegory when explaining how the entrance exam works. It's probably for good reason but that's still kind of a bummer.

Ep was still great though. Finally feels like it's starting to pick up the pace too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh yeah, now that we're past the first chapter, the pace is going to most likely pick up greatly. From the preview, it's looking like the entrance exam is going to be covered in the span of a single episode, which is what I estimated. The manga packs a whole lot of content into its time, so even though we're going to be reaching a relatively early stopping point, we're not going to feel like we're rushing past content to get there.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
this show is very slow

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The manga's definitely good, though I've only read maybe half of it, but I'm not feeling the anime nearly as much probably due to its pace so far. Not that the anime's bad, but it doesn't really feel like a lot has happened yet which isn't a super good feeling to have going into episode 4.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Just chiming in to say this anime's loving great. just wonderful in every way. Especially the end of episode 2.

I mean, the thought to me is what is this show aiming for, it's aiming to be a superhero shounen punch series, just because it's in a familiar genre with familiar ideas doesnt exclude it from being legitimately great. Some guy here says that it's bland rice, I disagree wholeheartedly, it's like the difference between two different Rice Currys, the ingredients may be the same, but the mix and love put into this show makes it really effective and more interesting to experience in it's food category.

Like, even though the setup and flow is super familiar, it's really really well made and well told. it's really a show that's greater than the sum of its parts, and it has a slightly unique style to it so that's a plus.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 17, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hace posted:

this show is very slow

Really? I thought the pacing was reasonable, if not leaning on the fast side.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad they're finally getting to the academia part because the intro is boring as hell

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm surprised they're going with such a slow buildup, but for people who read the manga it's a treat basically.

I think a lot of people who're looking at the series without having read the manga will probably like how it all looks and sounds but find it really slow and possibly kinda dull. Like 3 episodes just to get to the entrance exam?

I'm impressed with the music direction so far. The visuals and VAs are all on point and it looks great but I've actually noticed how good the music is which is kinda rare for me.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I think the slower adaptation like this will be better, anyway. This is gonna be around a while as an anime adaptation, and while I don't doubt that they could create great filler, a slower pace means less of a need for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is seasonal. We're only doing 12 episodes for now. Long runners don't really happen anymore.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Waffleman_ posted:

This is seasonal. We're only doing 12 episodes for now. Long runners don't really happen anymore.

It's one of Shounen Jump's most popular & fastest growing properties. Of course it's just 12 episodes for now, but there will be another 12 next season and so on and so forth. There's no way it doesn't.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, but it being seasonal means they're going to wait for enough material, so filler was never a problem, unless they just need to fill out a couple episodes like they did with Noragami S1.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
They know where their ending the season and have determined that at least for these first few episodes a slower build is good. Considering what they're covering, this is probably a good idea since it'll let them go wild with the action parts and not have to worry too much about pacing.

In 3 episodes they've covered, I think, just the first 2.5 manga chapters. Judging by the opening they're going through about chapter 22. The first chapters were the slowest as they were setting up the world. But with a 12 episode season, we've got 9 more episodes to cover 19.5 chapters. The pace should pick up significantly next week or the week after.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hustle! Hustle! Muscle! Muscle!

Oh wait, wrong show.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

a kitten posted:

Hustle! Hustle! Muscle! Muscle!

Oh wait, wrong show.

I'm not going to lie, that phrase has entered my vocabulary.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not the same if you don't pronounce it hassuru hassuru massuru massuru

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

dogsicle posted:

it's not the same if you don't pronounce it hassuru hassuru massuru massuru

Of course I do. there's no other way to say it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
For people who think this is slow, episode 3 (not a specific plot spoiler, but more about tone) ended right at the point where things start to ramp up, action-wise. Next episode should definitely give us an idea of how they'll handle the big superhero action setpieces.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Although I like the slower pace, I'm sad that it's going to move slow because that means less Alien Queen this season :(

Oh well. That wonderful character card in the opening (btw. I really do like the op and ed for some reason) will suffice.

For now.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Uraraka sounds a lot... cuter than I had always imagined for her.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Lord of Hats posted:

Same. I wonder if they'll include how she slips into Kansai dialect when she gets flustered or forgets to hide it.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Although I like the slower pace, I'm sad that it's going to move slow because that means less Alien Queen this season :(

Oh well. That wonderful character card in the opening (btw. I really do like the op and ed for some reason) will suffice.

For now.

It'll be more Alien Queen and everyone else overall though!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah and it makes me sad that we're not going to hit (manga stuff we won't reach yet) the mall scene where she's about to rip a dude's face off.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I stopped reading the manga literally the day this anime started a bit way through the arc that's after where we all assume the anime will get too, I guess because the anime did enough on it's own to scratch that shounen itch for me but then I see stuff like

Eej posted:

Yeah and it makes me sad that we're not going to hit (manga stuff we won't reach yet) the mall scene where she's about to rip a dude's face off.
and maybe i should keep reading the manga

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Moltrey posted:

I stopped reading the manga literally the day this anime started a bit way through the arc that's after where we all assume the anime will get too, I guess because the anime did enough on it's own to scratch that shounen itch for me but then I see stuff like

and maybe i should keep reading the manga

Yes you should.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The manga is good stuff.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So you think we should keep a running count of Hagakure sightings?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
YES.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

The Sandman posted:

It'll always be zero.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Sandman posted:

Is this a retroactive count? Because she's actually in every scene.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Really? I thought the pacing was reasonable, if not leaning on the fast side.

Anime pacing is fine, it just happens that the manga for the first few chapters goes at light speed then starts to calm down. So by comparison it makes the anime feel slow.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Yeah they adapted today's episode pretty well. Deku's loving mush arm looked a lot worse in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode was definitely a step up in the pacing department and the action was quality too. Punching the big robot was awesome.

• Locked thread