Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Real good episode, it's super fun to finally see this ball rolling. Next episode seems to be covering the next two chapters, so pacing is def picking up. I'm still real excited for this.

also yeah Izuku's broken flapping arm looked real bad in a hosed up way. Deku's mom's a good character too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Holy poo poo! They nailed Deku's hosed up limbs. That looks painful.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I almost shed another tear at the climax of this episode. This show is tearing me apart.

And yeah Izuku's flailing broken limbs was really well done.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Whats his power

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
His power is that he's the most stylish jeanist of all time

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Depths posted:

Whats his power

Oh, that's who this is about

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Depths posted:

Whats his power

Manga spoilers, but not very important ones:

It's fabric control. As in, he can manipulate and reshape clothing, with denim being particularly easy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't expect to tear up at this, but maybe it's I started reading it as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The broken limbs were positively gruesome, Jesus.

I guess that's to make up for the lack of detail on the shredded skin/sinew.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I liked the bit where he punched a robot so hard he broke his arm right after he jumped so hard he broke his legs

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

a kitten posted:

Oh, that's who

Weakness: opponent having no shame

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Depths posted:

Weakness: opponent having no shame

That's why his outfit is pure denim, so he can use his own clothes against naked opponents.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh man they totally nailed the part where Deku punches the robot. And I'm pretty sure that I've now been conditioned to start to tear up whenever All Might encourages Deku. This is such a good adaptation.

And holy poo poo at Deku's flappy arm and legs, they looked really hosed up.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
In black and white, I never noticed that Best Jeanist is wearing a denim turtleneck. That's a superhero outfit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dig the sound design a ton. One For All powering up sounding like a jet turbine winding up is awesome- also the sound when he jumped. Visually/aurally they kinda make it more clear it's some sort of weird energy he's tapping into rather than just temporarily becoming megaswole.

I'm just bummed that this is a single cour so far, and even if it gets a second it probably won't end up ever getting to the stuff I wanna see animated. I wanna see the Stain arc, semester finals, confrontation with Shigaraki at the mall, basically everything from sports festival onward.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 24, 2016

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
This continues to be a great adaptation of a great manga. They're positively shameless about milking these climactic moments, what with the swelling strings and All-Might commentary and such, but I think how blatant it is actually works in its favor for this show.

Also, Best Jeanist's amazing waist/collar makes an appearance and Deku's mom is adorable :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That big robot is cool as heck.

And god drat, that hosed him up.:stonklol:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yeah, actually watching his limbs flap about in the wind was pretty ... uh ... it was something else, that's for sure.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mordaedil posted:

I didn't expect to tear up at this, but maybe it's I started reading it as well.

For what it's worth, the anime adaptation is much better at pulling your heartstrings compared to the manga. BONES is doing a great job of using the advantages of animated production over manga to milk the emotional impact.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hahah :3:

Anyway, this show has a good heart and i think i like it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Listen, we're gonna meet the rest of the cast next week and poo poo's gonna pop off.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I am very excited for others to meet the rest of the cast. There's at least three times during the OP when they flash all the characters where it's just "hell yeah, that's my dude right there." These super powered high schoolers are preeeetty great.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Moltrey posted:

I am very excited for others to meet the rest of the cast. There's at least three times during the OP when they flash all the characters where it's just "hell yeah, that's my dude right there." These super powered high schoolers are preeeetty great.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

a kitten posted:

That big robot is cool as heck.

And god drat, that hosed him up.:stonklol:

Yeah, this is why we manga-readers didn't get held up on the apparent bait-and-switch premise. He has a power, but he has to work for it and it has a cost.

And yes, jesus christ, those flappy arms. I think we need a gif.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm just bummed that this is a single cour so far, and even if it gets a second it probably won't end up ever getting to the stuff I wanna see animated. I wanna see the Stain arc, semester finals, confrontation with Shigaraki at the mall, basically everything from sports festival onward.

The franchise is getting pushed super hard, so there's no real reason to believe they won't animate the whole thing eventually, barring some sort of disaster.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
After having a spectacularly lovely couple of weeks, Today I received an unexpected letter of encouragement from someone I respect and look up to, and the entire goddamn time I had the awesome music from the end of episode 2 playing in my head and as I was reading the email all I could hear was All-Might going " You Can Become a Hero".

Manly Tears of hope and determination were shed.

This show really makes up with it's pure sincerity, big heart and cool art style and characters, and excellent pacing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

izuku is an extremely good boy

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

z0glin Warchief posted:

The franchise is getting pushed super hard, so there's no real reason to believe they won't animate the whole thing eventually, barring some sort of disaster.

The real question is, how long until they cut the budget 90%?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mystic Mongol posted:

The real question is, how long until they cut the budget 90%?

i'm sure this is definitely going to go on for 200+ episodes

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i'm sure this is definitely going to go on for 200+ episodes

So, like, fifty?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, like, fifty?

why are you so pessimistic? what basis for this are you getting from the first four episodes?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Every other big budget long-running anime series ever, of course.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Every other big budget long-running anime series ever, of course.

you know this is only a 12-episode season, right?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is a seasonal anime, though?

Like, we're only getting a single cour right now. They don't really do many eternal long-runners anymore.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I think it's fairly heartening that it's only a 12 ep run, and I really hope they stick with a seasonal format - like a season a year or something. We still get the Hero anime, with none of the filler!

Edit: beaten by the Waffleman.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I want hero filler

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a second season next year. I think there's already enough content past the estimated stopping point for at least 12 episodes.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Futaba Anzu posted:

I want hero filler

Too bad! Bleach, One Piece and Naruto ruined that for you.

E:

Fabricated posted:

Also Toriko- they ordered like 150 episodes for it and it was pretty bad.

If you want a really awesome manga that got a completely awful adaptation go see Eyeshield 21. The VAs were pretty on point in general however.
I just removed that from memory! That show did everything wrong: Bad insert character to break the sausage party with lovely mascot, in-show ads for crap, Super Troll Doll, and a reverse FMA ending.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 26, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rudoku posted:

Too bad! Bleach, One Piece and Naruto ruined that for you.

Also Toriko- they ordered like 150 episodes for it and it was pretty bad.

If you want a really awesome manga that got a completely awful adaptation go see Eyeshield 21. The VAs were pretty on point in general however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Waffleman_ posted:

They don't really do many eternal long-runners anymore.

Are there any other than One Piece, Detective Conan and I think maybe Fairy Tail at this point? All the other ones I can think of finished forever ago.

• Locked thread