Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nalin posted:

What's #1 then? :smug:

Hunter X Hunter, since it's running presently. I'm curious what's in second place now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

one piece is second right this moment, because hunter x hunter is running

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is super adorable. Do you know who drew it?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That art style looks distinctly archvermin, so probably him.

Fake Edit: Yep. Same style. Guess he only posted it on /a/?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm going to be contrary here and suggest that HxH isn't really that good anymore. Also I feel bad for its fans because Togashi is gonna die before he ever finishes it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fabricated posted:

I'm going to be contrary here and suggest that HxH isn't really that good anymore. Also I feel bad for its fans because Togashi is gonna die before he ever finishes it.

Eh, I'll hold judgement until the new arc actually gets to its substance. Right now we're still in what seems like a preparation phase. Ant arc was just sublime, so I'm willing to put up with some waiting to get to more meat, personally.

It also didn't start out fantastically imo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Eh, I'll hold judgement until the new arc actually gets to its substance. Right now we're still in what seems like a preparation phase. Ant arc was just sublime, so I'm willing to put up with some waiting to get to more meat, personally.

It also didn't start out fantastically imo.
I'm just hoping Togashi loving lives. Like his artist comments are all about how lovely his health is.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Should probably mention that one of the students in Class 1A here has a power that is literally "My arms are tape dispensers".

He can use them to swing around like Spider-man.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I love how almost all the other students have interesting powers of their own.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I would very much like it if I could end every weekend for the rest of my watching something cool happen while the music they use for cool things in this show plays.

This is a good show is what I'm saying.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dub Preview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnsd0Uf5usE

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Midoriya is great, All Might is bleh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the opposite, All Might is great, Midoriya is middlingiya

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Wow, they're really moving fast.
Both seem... fine?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Genocyber posted:

Midoriya is great, All Might is bleh.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the opposite, All Might is great, Midoriya is middlingiya

It's pretty much just a slightly lighter-toned Armstrong. Very boring.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
More specifically, a couple of line reads from All Might were okay, but it doesn't sound natural (as natural as a superhero would sound, at least), and just feels like a lazy one-time delivery.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the casting is good, but yeah, all might's delivery needs a little work

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
All Might is All Right and Midoriya is pretty good

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

All Might sounds too flat, and Deku ... W-Watanuki, is that you?

Having some serious Xxxholic flashbacks here, guys.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I actually think the fact that All Might sounds like he's forcing it is perfect. Because, yknow, he IS forcing it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TriffTshngo posted:

I actually think the fact that All Might sounds like he's forcing it is perfect. Because, yknow, he IS forcing it.

The thing is, he's supposed to be a symbol of peace, and his facade should never crumble. So it sounding forced kinda makes it seem less "natural" than how he is trying to portray himself. Maybe I'm being too nitpicky.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sabat's All Might is a little too fake sounding even if that's the point IMO.

Midoriya sounds perfect IMO.

Edit: for some reason now that I rewatch it Midoriya reminds me a bit of Morty for a scant few moments and now I can't unhear it

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Sabat's All Might is a little too fake sounding even if that's the point IMO.

Midoriya sounds perfect IMO.

Edit: for some reason now that I rewatch it Midoriya reminds me a bit of Morty for a scant few moments and now I can't unhear it

i definitely heard some Morty in there, lol

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yep that's FF7 Machineabridged Cloud voicing Deku alright.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I've never read My Hero Academia but drat if this isn't a really good anime. I heard from a friend that apparently Deku was originally supposed to be a Batman-esque powerless, gadget-using hero, but the suits told Horikoshi that he had to have a quirk...so he gave Deku a quirk that his body basically can't handle, causing him to have to think his way out of most of his battles. Guess Horikoshi got to have his cake and eat it too.

Also, I was inspired to make this after watching episode 3.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Well, having heard the first dubbed episode in full, it sounds pretty on point; most everyone sounded on point, at times scarily so (with the possible exception of Izuku's mom, who didn't really grab me). All of the emotional beats are hitting so far (which is a mixed blessing, considering how aggressively :smith: the series begins...)

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Simon The Digger posted:

I've never read My Hero Academia but drat if this isn't a really good anime. I heard from a friend that apparently Deku was originally supposed to be a Batman-esque powerless, gadget-using hero, but the suits told Horikoshi that he had to have a quirk...so he gave Deku a quirk that his body basically can't handle, causing him to have to think his way out of most of his battles. Guess Horikoshi got to have his cake and eat it too.

Also, I was inspired to make this after watching episode 3.

There's a one-shot chapter out there that has that weird Deku-prototype in it. I'm glad Horikoshi went with this idea, though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Deku is so cool.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I love how pretty much 90% of all scenes in the show are accompanied by a swelling orchestra.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Deku was maximum cool this episode. Ochako was also maximum cute.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know that his character is "underdog" but it kind of shatters my immersion when Izuku's blowing out of his arse at minor physical exertion when all the other kids are perfectly fine when it's a plot point that he was training constantly and hard for a good 9 months under All Might.

The episode is really good though and Deku's mom is precious.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I know that his character is "underdog" but it kind of shatters my immersion when Izuku's blowing out of his arse at minor physical exertion when all the other kids are perfectly fine when it's a plot point that he was training constantly and hard for a good 9 months under All Might.

They explained that in this episode. His index finger was part bone chips, part sausage-meat, and 100% pain. That's going to throw anyone off their game. He was doing pretty well before the ball throw.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love Aizawa's evil smile. The twisted glee in it is great.

I think part of it, for the trials in this episode, was due to the broken finger and all. Last episode, well, he did alright physically but nothing spectacular compared to the quirk-enhanced results. Also I don't think it was animated in this but in the manga at least Bakugou's explosion-boosting himself when they ran together knocked Deku off course for a moment (though he still, as in the episode, was faster than Uraraka).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even before that, he's blowing from the sprint and stuff. Like, it does make thematic sense and all that, and it's far from a huge or even big deal, it just doesn't gel too well for me. Not like I'll say "this is awful, dropped" from it.

The dude would be a killer for his age going through what he did with/for All Might, basically.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I can see where you are coming from, like, I get that he can't use his Quirk or anything, but I don't really see how being invisible, for example, helps in a physical fitness exam.

Plus, Yaoyorozu came in first through what I can only imagine is creative creation of things like grenade launchers, bicycles, trampolines etc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Even before that, he's blowing from the sprint and stuff. Like, it does make thematic sense and all that, and it's far from a huge or even big deal, it just doesn't gel too well for me. Not like I'll say "this is awful, dropped" from it.

The dude would be a killer for his age going through what he did with/for All Might, basically.

In a sprint, being gassed at the end just means you went all out. Especially true if everyone else is using their quirks to make it easier and faster while you're busting rear end without any superpowers. The exertion looks to me to be showing how Deku is giving it 100% every time and coming up short because there's no reality bending super power giving him a boost.

Also while Deku has been training for a few months with All Might, most of these kids have been training their whole lives to be heroes and working with their quirks. Deku had a really weird idea that he could be an alpha nerd weakling and still become a hero.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I can see where you are coming from, like, I get that he can't use his Quirk or anything, but I don't really see how being invisible, for example, helps in a physical fitness exam.

Plus, Yaoyorozu came in first through what I can only imagine is creative creation of things like grenade launchers, bicycles, trampolines etc.

On invisible girl[minor manga spoiler that hasn't actually paid off at all yet] Invisibility is apparently not her quirk, rather a side effect or something similar. That's what was stated in some supplemental material but has yet to show up as anything.

Yaoyorozu can create anything, also she's incredibly fit and smart. She probably understands the limitations and the best creative ways to get around them of her quirk better than almost anyone in the class.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 8, 2016

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Go invisible, start moving before being told to move because you're invisible and they can't see you jumped the gun. I'm pretty sure Eraserhead would allow cheating at long as you used your quirk to do it. Or learn ventriloquism, make it sound like you're on the starting like but are actually at the finish line. Or the other way around, stay on the starting line but throw your voice to sound like you're at the end.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
According to a bonus page in the manga, we don't know her real quirk yet. Her invisibility is not her entire quirk, there is more to it than that. Where we currently are in the manga, we still do not know what her quirk actually is.

That spoiler isn't plot related and probably won't come up in the anime at all, but I'm spoiling it because its extra info the anime hasn't given us yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Slime posted:

Go invisible, start moving before being told to move because you're invisible and they can't see you jumped the gun. I'm pretty sure Eraserhead would allow cheating at long as you used your quirk to do it. Or learn ventriloquism, make it sound like you're on the starting like but are actually at the finish line. Or the other way around, stay on the starting line but throw your voice to sound like you're at the end.

What I was thinking was that for the ball toss, she just held onto the ball and ran with it until she felt she got far enough.

• Locked thread