Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm impressed they stuck with the honestly pretty downbeat/sad nature of the series' start.

Particularly since there wasn't the huge payoff in the first episode. Like one full episode dedicated to "it really sucks to be Midoriya" complete with a ridiculously cute rendering of little him having his dreams completely crushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Terper posted:

I had the opposite reaction. I felt Bakugou's, uh, antics, were played up for a more comedic effect than in the manga.
I dunno, the moment he tells Midoriya to kill himself is still kinda brutal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They're really going for a slow burn on this, but I guess the first couple chapters being 2-3 episodes makes sense because there's a LOT of exposition in it.

Kinda hope this doesn't hurt viewership though- I want another season and while this is a treat for people who've read the manga it's sort of a slow start for people who might be new and wanting to get to the real plot.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm surprised they're going with such a slow buildup, but for people who read the manga it's a treat basically.

I think a lot of people who're looking at the series without having read the manga will probably like how it all looks and sounds but find it really slow and possibly kinda dull. Like 3 episodes just to get to the entrance exam?

I'm impressed with the music direction so far. The visuals and VAs are all on point and it looks great but I've actually noticed how good the music is which is kinda rare for me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Lord of Hats posted:

Uraraka sounds a lot... cuter than I had always imagined for her.
Same. I wonder if they'll include how she slips into Kansai dialect when she gets flustered or forgets to hide it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The broken limbs were positively gruesome, Jesus.

I guess that's to make up for the lack of detail on the shredded skin/sinew.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dig the sound design a ton. One For All powering up sounding like a jet turbine winding up is awesome- also the sound when he jumped. Visually/aurally they kinda make it more clear it's some sort of weird energy he's tapping into rather than just temporarily becoming megaswole.

I'm just bummed that this is a single cour so far, and even if it gets a second it probably won't end up ever getting to the stuff I wanna see animated. I wanna see the Stain arc, semester finals, confrontation with Shigaraki at the mall, basically everything from sports festival onward.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 24, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rudoku posted:

Too bad! Bleach, One Piece and Naruto ruined that for you.

Also Toriko- they ordered like 150 episodes for it and it was pretty bad.

If you want a really awesome manga that got a completely awful adaptation go see Eyeshield 21. The VAs were pretty on point in general however.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Someone should make a thread. I'm actually kinda surprised it doesn't have one since it's one of the longest running series out there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If anyone is curious, some dub announcements.

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/04/27/my-hero-academia-cast-announcement/

Chris Sabat is All Might.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This ost is really good and I really hope they get the same team back if there are future cours

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm going to be contrary here and suggest that HxH isn't really that good anymore. Also I feel bad for its fans because Togashi is gonna die before he ever finishes it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

Eh, I'll hold judgement until the new arc actually gets to its substance. Right now we're still in what seems like a preparation phase. Ant arc was just sublime, so I'm willing to put up with some waiting to get to more meat, personally.

It also didn't start out fantastically imo.
I'm just hoping Togashi loving lives. Like his artist comments are all about how lovely his health is.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sabat's All Might is a little too fake sounding even if that's the point IMO.

Midoriya sounds perfect IMO.

Edit: for some reason now that I rewatch it Midoriya reminds me a bit of Morty for a scant few moments and now I can't unhear it

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 5, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Futaba Anzu posted:

the way the end of episode preview sounded, it doesn't seem like they'll be animating that part anyways
I dunno, they've been doing all of the major setpiece images one-by-one really so I can't see that not getting animated. It's a good comedy bit too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori has done a good job showing people revealing their true emotions through their actions rather than words. Eraserhead is a really good example of this; his poker-face doesn't really ever drop, he's a hardass in class the entire time, and he keeps the facade up even when the poo poo hits the fan but if you look at everything he does in the manga you realize that among the faculty he might be the softest touch.

The anime will show a bit of this by the end; there's one particular scene I'm really dying to see animated considering the cool effect they gave his eye power.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's main problem is that he thinks he's the main character of this story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi showing some more try-hard villain Iida:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I tolerate Bakugou's really slow progress in changing and general lack of personal depth outside of his Deku issues and anger (him literally being at least mildly angry 100% of the time is actually kinda grating really- how has he not had a loving stroke?) because it really hasn't been much time in the story (~3ish months since the start of school) and I kinda trust Horikoshi to do something interesting with him.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm tired.

For this space to not be empty though; Bakugou's voice actor showed a lot of range this last ep which is nice. He was kinda too growly before.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 17, 2016

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Still bummed they planned this so early that we ended up with just 13 episodes.

I imagine we'll get another season at some point but it won't be this year because the time slots are all accounted for if I recall.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, those flashbacks to his childhood makes it a lot easier to empathise with him and he's already adjusting to reality a bit so hopefully he'll become a more likable character as the series progresses.
He doesn't become all that likable ever really. Everything that's revealed about him however adds context to everything he does.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The villains coming out of the portal is horrendously done. Good god.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A new season won't happen this year since the time slots are spoken for.

The ratings have been pretty average at best but it gets a lot of buzz on Japanese twitter almost every week and it has given the volume and merch sales a nice pop so a second season wouldn't surprise me.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
During this period of time in the manga Shiggy just stands there because he's observing Aizawa. He makes his move pretty much around when this episode ends.

They didn't gently caress up the beat panel around Mineta's power explanation though which is one of the best jokes in the arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's just one of those asian honorific things not translating very well to English.

I guess the closest thing to it would be asking someone to call you by a nickname or having a pet name for someone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hey, they finally sped up the pace a bit! And added sensible filler bits!

They also upped the gruesomeness of what happens to Aizawa- Noumu loving wrings him out like a lovely sponge.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The kids who got in on recommendations:

1-A: Momo and Todoroki
1-B: Kendo and the weird swamp dude I think

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Shame we won't see a second season anytime soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't think we'll have to wait too long, the marketability of this series is pretty insane.
If I recall all of the possible timeslots for Summer and Fall are covered already so at a bare minimum we're talking next year.

Personally? I hope this series gets big enough to warrant a movie.

This is like the only shounen series where I'd be happy to watch a non-canon movie with high animation quality.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
His twerp form is the real him, and you can pick up the exhaustion/stress he feels at keeping appearances up.

I hope we don't get a lovely time skip and can see him teach the whole class as "himself".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The one consistent thing I see with anime-watchers who aren't familiar with the series is how much everyone loves the OST. It really is drat good.

• Locked thread