Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So what you're saying is that the way gender is signified in video games is due to the culture that game designers come from and not game designer culture itself. Like that whole thing with the Avengers movies where a man and woman can wear skin tight outfits but a woman will receive significantly more camera angles that focus on her butt or breasts while a man will receive much more attention to his face, doesn't originate from majoring in film but rather a cultural predilection as whole.

I've always appreciated Kate Beaton's explorations on this subject.

Even more in the archives! http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=336

Yeah that's a pretty good way of putting it. Also, Kate Beaton's comics are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
To be fair, movies used to worship muscles on men as well, especially old fashioned action movies

Though of course these weren't necessarily there to entice, but rather to show how badass this superman was

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

To be fair, movies used to worship muscles on men as well, especially old fashioned action movies

Though of course these weren't necessarily there to entice, but rather to show how badass this superman was

I dunno about you but I'm feeling p. enticed.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
More like FAIL Hydra, right guys?

Signed,
Your pals, the Serpent Society

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think muscular body can be there as a power fantasy or a sexual fantasy or some blur in between, but how the body is presented has a lot to do with how it's perceived.

Some people started drawing male superheroes doing female poses and many of the results were compiled at the http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like a really faggy project.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
ethics in video game butts

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Blizzard hosed up. They should've responded by putting the gorilla in a butt-pose.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

5er posted:

Blizzard hosed up. They should've responded by putting the gorilla in a butt-pose.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

5er posted:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

5er posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

Yeah that's a pretty good way of putting it. Also, Kate Beaton's comics are great.

We should bring her back in as a celebrity guest mod, like with deadmaus

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ChrisHansen posted:

Paging professor shark

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

with the power to instantly perma anyone with LF in their post history

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

with the power to instantly perma anyone with LF in their post history

She gets free bans but only if she draws a little cartoon explaining the reason for the ban

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mange Mite posted:

She gets free bans but only if she draws a little cartoon explaining the reason for the ban

Man that'd be awesome! :allears:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Mange Mite posted:

Big supporter of this. Lowtax needs to @ her.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
:siren:Put on your 3D glasses now:siren:

Hail Hydra!

(More like "Hail Hydro" amirite?)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Think, just one videogame starring this butt would satisfy our nation's butt demand for years, freeing up all other videogames to be butt free.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Mange Mite posted:

No lie, I'd pay an extra :10bux: just to see a month's worth of this.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Cubelodyte posted:

No lie, I'd pay an extra :10bux: just to see a month's worth of this.

Same. Lowtax, make it happen. No I don't care if you're bonding with your infant daughter, you have your forums children to worry about!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Kate's such a bigshot she's probably too busy with some big Hollywood deal to even care about whatever pittance Lowtax could offer her, though.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Applewhite posted:

Kate's such a bigshot she's probably too busy with some big Hollywood deal to even care about whatever pittance Lowtax could offer her, though.

Googled and found out she just moved back to her small hometown in Cape Breton, so she has all day to sit around the house, day drink, and generally embrace the posting lifestyle.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Agag posted:

Googled and found out she just moved back to her small hometown in Cape Breton, so she has all day to sit around the house, day drink, and generally embrace the posting lifestyle.

Kate Beaton is from Cape Breton? Is that both alliterative and rhyming or am I pronouncing one of those names wrong?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Agag posted:

Well that explains why she's short and resistant to magic.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Well that explains why she's short and resistant to magic.

:mmmhmm:

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Same. Lowtax, make it happen. No I don't care if you're bonding with your infant daughter, you have your forums children to worry about!

Hav babby pix dropped yet?

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Didn't goons fawn all over her and generally act goony and scare the poo poo out of her at one point I swear I remember that...

Edit: yes they did http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2899391

Thunder God Biden fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 7, 2016

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
That's the myth. Reality is someone bought her an account, she posted once, maybe twice but never cared for or about SA, and then goons kept trying to track her down and apologize to her for "scaring her off" which is even creepier.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Regardless I don't think she wants to be a mod maybe. Sorry Applewhite the sins of your forefathers and whatnot.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
The only thing that should be shown in media are paragons of the human form, that way we can all feel like pathetic half melted flesh golems imo.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Have Blue posted:

The only thing that should be shown in media are paragons of the human form, that way we can all feel like pathetic half melted flesh golems imo.

This with the caveat that people that artificially look like paragons of the human form are exiled. Only by seeing those that are naturally our superiors in the media every day, all day, will we understand how lowly we all truly are. Things like plastic surgery just give false hope to the untouchable class.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
i saw the red octopus logo and had flashbacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkcfIdEv4_M

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Have Blue posted:

actually i could probably get more girls than the super muscular guys because most girls don't like big muscles

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

AugmentedVision posted:

actually i could probably get more girls than the super muscular guys because most girls don't like big muscles

Ooh la la why don't you wear a scarlet letter and have a torrid affair with a preacher Mr. Sex-Haver

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AugmentedVision posted:

In my experience, most girls like biggish muscles, just not really freakish bodybuilder ones. If your sleeves hang loose on your arms, you are not muscular enough.
And I never knew a girl who would turn down a really chiseled set of abs.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
puritanism as progress just lmbo

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

hahaha look at this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Shaquin posted:

puritanism is progress
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Fat is Beautiful

• Locked thread