Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Immortan posted:

I'm just here for the show.

try the food, it will win you over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Mandator posted:

but honestly, if someone has a giant stockpile of food, i want to hear their reasoning

don't let the gbs hivemind scare you off. this is a no judgement thread. i just want to hear why

i live in an area that is prone to hurricanes, so i like to have at least 5 days of food and water on hand. i dont go overboard with it and dedicate an entire room to stockpiling or anything, but i have a big rear end set of shelves in my garage with a bunch of mountain home stuff and whatnot. feels good to know you wont be hosed if a big rear end category 5 hurricane comes thru and wrecks up ur town (provided you dont die in the initial storm/floods)

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

i live in an area that is prone to hurricanes, so i like to have at least 5 days of food and water on hand. i dont go overboard with it and dedicate an entire room to stockpiling or anything, but i have a big rear end set of shelves in my garage with a bunch of mountain home stuff and whatnot. feels good to know you wont be hosed if a big rear end category 5 hurricane comes thru and wrecks up ur town (provided you dont die in the initial storm/floods)

tin foil hat rating: 0/10, story checks out

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

30,000 is kinda crazy

A cob of corn is 3/4 a cup. There are a cup and a half per can so 2 cobs. An acre of corn is like 35lbs of corn, 2 cans is just over a pound of corn each, it's at least 75, 100 acres of corn so I'm being super conservative on the number of cans of corn that field would make.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm a Lt. Kernal in the Corn Army

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dave_Indeed posted:

A cob of corn is 3/4 a cup. There are a cup and a half per can so 2 cobs. An acre of corn is like 35lbs of corn, 2 cans is just over a pound of corn each, it's at least 75, 100 acres of corn so I'm being super conservative on the number of cans of corn that field would make.

I usually just buy on I-95 south

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm a Lt. Kernal in the Corn Army

I hope you get promoted to colonel kernel

You are a leader

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Do your grocery stores have case lot sales? Mine have them a couple times a year. Stock up on can goods!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Isaac posted:

My mum does. We got lots of animals and egg chickens as well.

when you say egg chickens are you referring to chickens that lay eggs or chickens still in their eggs so they can be cracked open for later use?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Dave_Indeed posted:

yeah corn is like a testament to modern agriculture in terms of how dense they can grow it nowadays, it's practically modern art if you have the background to understand just how far we've come in terms of maximizing our farmland.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

donkey salami posted:

I hope you get promoted to colonel kernel

You are a leader

The road to promotion is a real maize, let me tell you.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i keep just 1 military MRE after that i'd have to fish and hunt i guess

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I think there was a huge sale on Bounty papertowel and toilet paper at the Big Lots when I was a kid and my dad decided to be thrifty and literally load his pick-up truck full until it was at capacity. We called it Mount Bounty and built forts out of it.

I can't even imagine a life without toilet paper. Forget the food, first thing I'm grabbing is some sweet tp

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

astrollinthepork posted:

I live in the mojave and a supply of dehydrated water is essential

I have a huge box of it in the garage. Very handy.

Real answer: We have a 55 gallon drum filled with emergency supplies on our back patio, and a second drum of water. We decided that it was safer on the patio, because we live in earthquake country. It is unlikely that we will have an earthquake that renders the house completely unlivable, but if we do, any supplies inside would likely be unreachable. Thus the back patio drums.

Among all the other stuff, we have about 2 weeks worth of food.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

genesplicer posted:

Real answer: We have a 55 gallon drum filled with emergency supplies on our back patio, and a second drum of water. We decided that it was safer on the patio, because we live in earthquake country. It is unlikely that we will have an earthquake that renders the house completely unlivable, but if we do, any supplies inside would likely be unreachable. Thus the back patio drums.

how much does something like that set you back?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i have a plastic bucket of mountain house prepped food that i bought on sale

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

play those drumbs

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im like uniquely situated to prepper poo poo because preppers have cool gadgets and such and im prone to liking cool gadgets

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Seems like one of those straws that turns stagnant poo poo water into drinkable water would be a good addition to every emergency kit ever.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
i own one gun with a single bullet

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Mandator posted:

how much does something like that set you back?

The drums were about $100 each. The dry materials were collected over the course of a year or so. Basically, it's a survival camp in a drum. Everything we need to camp out in the back yard for a couple of weeks.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Shaquin posted:

i own one gun with a single bullet

Well somebody seems pretty sure of themselves.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

genesplicer posted:

The drums were about $100 each. The dry materials were collected over the course of a year or so. Basically, it's a survival camp in a drum. Everything we need to camp out in the back yard for a couple of weeks.
Out of curiosity what are the drums made of, I pretty much immediately pictured a regular old oil drum when you said 55 gallons but I'm guessing it's probably not that.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Gonna bring my pickup over to genesplicer's porch, brb. Free food for two weeks! :greencube:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

Out of curiosity what are the drums made of, I pretty much immediately pictured a regular old oil drum when you said 55 gallons but I'm guessing it's probably not that.

plastic

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

like the kind car dealerships use to house 55 gallons of soap/acid/whatever to keep their product in pristine selling condition

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

plastic would be cheaper than 100 bones

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I have over 500 tons of JIF Smooth peanut butter in 55 gallon drums and plenty of potable water in a no disclosed location OP.

Suck my balls if you want to survive the apocalypse.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

plastic would be cheaper than 100 bones

yes, yes it would

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

I have over 500 tons of JIF Smooth peanut butter in 55 gallon drums and plenty of potable water in a no disclosed location OP.

Suck my balls if you want to survive the apocalypse.

I wonder how long you would last with just the peanut butter and no water before you went insane?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

I wonder how long you would last with just the peanut butter and no water before you went insane?

Here. Let me be autistic pedantic.

:downs: You'd die of dehydration in around 5 -10 days.:downs:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Here. Let me be autistic pedantic.

:downs: You'd die of dehydration in around 5 -10 days.:downs:

Well I don't care for that one bit.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Keeping a week of canned food on hand is common sense, or at least it should be. Blizzard/hurricane/earthquake/etc. there are times when you probably don't want to have to head to the store for a few days apocalypse or not.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I have nothing because I fully intend to eat the dead like a vulture with thumbs as soon as society collapses. Like when some band of raiders kills and strips other survivors I'll be in the wings, naked and with no valuables going "Hey...you gonna eat that?" as they walk away from the massacre.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The French Army! posted:

Keeping a week of canned food on hand is common sense, or at least it should be. Blizzard/hurricane/earthquake/etc. there are times when you probably don't want to have to head to the store for a few days apocalypse or not.

I've been through two blizzards where "going to the store" was not recommended.

And While I Had sufficient stores of regular food, should the situation have worsened, I also had some back up stuff as a "OH poo poo!" fallback.

That's the entire reason for it. Otherwise. I'll get some fresh poo poo from the grocery store, when the roads are clear. :)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I live two blocks from a grocery store, so I'm all set. :smug:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Yes and it's all spoiled. Hoarder housemates.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Honky Dong Country posted:

I have nothing because I fully intend to eat the dead like a vulture with thumbs as soon as society collapses. Like when some band of raiders kills and strips other survivors I'll be in the wings, naked and with no valuables going "Hey...you gonna eat that?" as they walk away from the massacre.

you got some problems, kid.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't own any emergency food. I figure if there's a time where I ever need it, I will just steal it from the beta men that think having emergency food will somehow get them through the end times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you got some problems, kid.

I'd say it's pretty obvious that I'm gonna eat my canned food like a normal person. I also come from hurricane territory where only out of towners and idiots don't keep a week's worth of canned food and fresh water.

• Locked thread