Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

VendaGoat posted:

Here. Let me be autistic pedantic.

:downs: You'd die of dehydration in around 5 -10 days.:downs:

Oh oh! Do me next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Frankenstyle posted:

Oh oh! Do me next!

:v: How much you gonna pay me big boy? ;-*

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

ArbitraryC posted:

Out of curiosity what are the drums made of, I pretty much immediately pictured a regular old oil drum when you said 55 gallons but I'm guessing it's probably not that.

That's what they are. You can buy them new. I have one with the lid that can be completely removed for the dry goods, and one with regular tap openings for water.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

VendaGoat posted:

:v: How much you gonna pay me big boy? ;-*

Four cans of Tuna, and a spool of fishing line.

I may have a couple of good spark plugs too, but I better need a hemorrhoid pillow afterwards.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

genesplicer posted:

That's what they are. You can buy them new. I have one with the lid that can be completely removed for the dry goods, and one with regular tap openings for water.

Keep an eye on them. My folks kept animal feed in those metal ones because they are great for keeping rodents out, but they rusted through surprisingly quickly when kept outside.

naem
May 29, 2011

I am prepared

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Mandator posted:

Seems like one of those straws that turns stagnant poo poo water into drinkable water would be a good addition to every emergency kit ever.

I bought a big ol family size lifestraw thing when Groupon had a promotion to send a 2nd one to a African village. So, like, even if I never use mine, at least someone got to use the other one to make their life better or w/e.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I have several pets.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, but only because I like it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Ork of Fiction posted:

I bought a big ol family size lifestraw thing when Groupon had a promotion to send a 2nd one to a African village. So, like, even if I never use mine, at least someone got to use the other one to make their life better or w/e.

I quietly believe those filter straws are actually a more cruel version of hot pepper gag gum. They give you one and are like "Ohhh yeaaah, go ahead and suck up the sludge in that mud puddle there" then they stand back and giggle while you take a long draw on an E Coli cocktail.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have 2000 boexes of Tuna helper and 1 can of tuna.

naem
May 29, 2011

I bought the water bottle version for my earthquake kit so if my apt falls down I can go camp in the park and drink decorative pond water next to the bike rental place

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mandator posted:

how much do you own? how long will it last you? why did you buy it?

I have guns, OP. So that when need arises I will just come for your provisions.

Thanks for asking.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cartouche posted:

I have guns, OP. So that when need arises I will just come for your provisions.

Thanks for asking.
Yeah this is honestly the part of a really bad natural (or unnatural I suppose) disaster that would worry me, people are gonna turn on each other instantly like that one twilight zone episode the shelter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIYD0yJ6YY

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah this is honestly the part of a really bad natural (or unnatural I suppose) disaster that would worry me, people are gonna turn on each other instantly like that one twilight zone episode the shelter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIYD0yJ6YY

Good ep

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I bought some astronaut ice cream once. It was ok. Neapolitan.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I was taking the garbage out last fall and noticed someone had thrown two cases of MREs in the dumster. I pulled them out and stuck them in my pantry. Sure they are a couple of years expired but I've seen people eat MRE's from the early 90's on YouTube and survive.

I'm good to go.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I have a rock that is chipped to be used to smash bones and I can break rocks into flakes to embed in a point stick turning my pointy stick into a pointy sharp rock stick. I will hunt man and beast alike with these and feast on their flesh like a cannibal caveman, I will have no need for dehydrated food.

Maybe Magpie
Mar 21, 2016

Stop! I have a license to post!
I already have guns and when I'm less broke I plan to get myself some shelf-stable food (stuff's surprisingly expensive) and water and stuff. I want them because my neck of the woods is overdue for a massive earthquake that'd undoubtedly gently caress a lot of things up and it could happen any day now (part of our waterfront is projected to collapse into the water entirely). I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I just want to protect myself and my friends, and anyone else I can reasonably help out. :ohdear:

Maybe Magpie fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 4, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I have an emergency ration of hot pockets and thats about it

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i have a years supply of canned corn

you eat the corn then drink the corn juice to stay hydrated

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I plan to eat what I kill after capturing it first. Try reading a book for once in your life

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
drink peepee

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Six cans of Cram, some murloc meat, and a bottle of dirty water.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I live near an REI store and sometimes go there to look at the rock wall and wide selection of camping food. Then it's fun to leave without purchasing anything.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Mandator posted:

having an emergency supply of food really doesn't seem like a bad idea

however, i will never buy it. i feel like i'd get lumped in with people who watch too much history channel about people preparing for armageddon. but if i ever need some, i will be so loving pissed i let some inane fear of being judged be the reason i starve

If you were raised in an earthquake area it is pretty much drilled into you in primary school.

Also Costco sells prepackaged survival stuff. REI too for camping and such but at a much higher markup because REI.

Most socalifornians try to have survival equipment (medical kit, heat trapping blanket, cliff bars or whatever, batteries and cash) in their car as well.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Maybe Magpie posted:

I already have guns and when I'm less broke I plan to get myself some shelf-stable food (stuff's surprisingly expensive) and water and stuff. I want them because my neck of the woods is overdue for a massive earthquake that'd undoubtedly gently caress a lot of things up and it could happen any day now (part of our waterfront is projected to collapse into the water entirely). I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I just want to protect myself and my friends, and anyone else I can reasonably help out. :ohdear:

Honestly the firearm and ammunition is higher priority than food and water. Because of the obvious.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

genesplicer posted:

I have a huge box of it in the garage. Very handy.

Real answer: We have a 55 gallon drum filled with emergency supplies on our back patio, and a second drum of water. We decided that it was safer on the patio, because we live in earthquake country. It is unlikely that we will have an earthquake that renders the house completely unlivable, but if we do, any supplies inside would likely be unreachable. Thus the back patio drums.

Among all the other stuff, we have about 2 weeks worth of food.

Really happy to hear this. :neckbeard: Stay safe science teacher!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
lmfao if you aren't a big strong man that, in an emergency, could kill the first stranger your meat with your bare hands and feast on their genitals

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yup op I sure do. i like to keep an inventory of at least 5 of those giant bags of rice, just in case. it is enough to get me out of dodge in case of a nuclear war, or tide me over if i end up broke at some point and not have to rely on food banks

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bullets, beans & bourbon my friends. That & all the gold/silver I have hidden away when the EOTWAWKI.

Maybe Magpie
Mar 21, 2016

Stop! I have a license to post!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Honestly the firearm and ammunition is higher priority than food and water. Because of the obvious.

I purchased them when I had more money and was not living off of a pretty small amount of it. At the time I hadn't done any disaster preparedness planning, I just liked target shooting. When I do have more money, I will get it. I mean, I do have a get-my-rear end-to-another-city bag ready, just not stuff for sheltering in place yet. And yeah I was figuring worst case scenario is I can trade protection for food until the national guard shows up or something. Big-rear end earthquakes are serious business. Hopefully I'll never have to!

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Other Barry posted:

I have a box of stale Malt-o-Meal brand Not Honey Nut Cheerios that I didn't eat because it wasn't good.

i'll loving shank you if you come after it during the end times

Nice av dude. "It's a mother beautiful bridge......................and it's gonna be there." lol

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
i have a small family

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
It's good to know old 'splicer will be there to moderate post apocalyptic GBS. Wouldn't want no off-color comments bumming everyone out.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Not on purpose, but I have a costco membership card and things just kinda happened.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxTG1mucfs

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I will capture small children and sell them back to their terrified parents in exchange for more toilet paper, then I will barter the toilet paper for food or water if I feel like I need it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i have like 100 packets of instant ramen i bought at costco does that count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
you'd probably be a lot better off storing large amounts of alcohol because you can trade it for whatever you need. if you get vodka in glass bottles it should last pretty much forever, and having a large stockpile of it will make you a post-apocalypse millionaire

• Locked thread