Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
here's a video of a guy who eats some peanut butter from a korean-war era MRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVO8smkZKPU

MREs go bad I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As a gun owner who has no objections to eating people in survival situations, I'm not worried that all the food in my house is fresh and quickly perishable.

But thanks for saving some food for me when I'm done with you. :ocelot:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

shut up netface posted:

After spending 2 weeks without power, gas rationing and freezing temperatures during Superstorm Sandy, I will absolutely have a contingency plan/ emergency water when I become a homeowner.

However the first of many roundups from Trump's death squads start in January 2017, It may be time to purchase that AR-15 now.

Instead of trying to survive the death squads, have you considered not being the sort of person that people want to be rid of?

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I live in a building with several hundred other people. In case of apocalypse, they are my food.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a pallet of expired sardines from a restaurant supply auction site for about $40. This should last me until the sun burns out.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

I bought a pallet of expired sardines from a restaurant supply auction site for about $40. This should last me until the sun burns out.

Pretty sure you'll expire before the sun does.

The Dines OTOH, will still be good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

you'd probably be a lot better off storing large amounts of alcohol because you can trade it for whatever you need. if you get vodka in glass bottles it should last pretty much forever, and having a large stockpile of it will make you a post-apocalypse millionaire

I Freaked out a little at y2k and spend all my savings (like $1200) on a cheap Bulgarian pistol, 100 tabs of lsd, and like maybe a 1/4 ounce of blow. While everyone else was hungover and scared, I was going to be hyperaware and ready to take over.

Then the lights didn't go out, so we just had a rad as gently caress party in the sandunes.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I watched one of those nat geo prepper shows, and stole one of the ideas.

I have two Home Depot orange 5 gallon buckets with lids, each filled with 35 lbs of dehydrated and canned food.
I'd like to do a third with basic backpacking stove, hand-pump/filter, matches, knives, etc.

There's just about 14,000 calories in each one, so at least seven days each for one person. Cost was ~ $45 each.

The food does need to be cycled out ever 3-4 years. I actually wrote it all into a spreadsheet cause I'm a huge nerd.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I think most people don't consider how difficult starting a fire is. Extra fuel and matches are seriously the way to go.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I keep cat litter in my trunk in case my car gets stuck, and usually a hoody in the back seat.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

Pretty sure you'll expire before the sun does.

I have some bad news for you

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why doesn't the military call em "ready to eat meals" instead of "meals: ready to eat"

naem
May 29, 2011

The U.S. military is super fond of labeling everything really really clearly as if future America is going to unseal a thousand year old crypt and be able to identify and use the clearly marked FOOD: EAT, MOUTH, GOOD YUM and HAT: WOOL, FACE WEARING, GREEN, FOR MAKE WARMTH WITH ON HEAD IF COLD SN22528-10x23 madeinchina

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

I have some bad news for you

*Tirade or rage because GBS*

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I inherited a can of anchovies from my father that I have kept in case hard times come again.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
hundreds upon hundreds of cans of those little Vienna sausages

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Back Patio Drums is a good chat name.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
please dont do this, my girlfriends uncle recently passed away and he got big into the whole "prepper" thing before he did which made 0 sense because he had stage 4 cancer but holy gently caress is it a pain in the rear end to throw everything away he had just buckets and buckets of rice and beans from God knows when and cans of food that were like 4 years expired and probably close to 100 bottles of ocean spray cranberry juice that had been emptied out and filled with water, dont place this burden on your loved ones just die like a normal person

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
during the last hurricane i rolled up to the national guard setup in my sportscar and got me some free MREs and a tarp

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
We live right next to a major section of the San Andreas Fault but don't have any earthquake preparedness stuff ready. We probably should but I have like no idea how to even start *shrug*

naem
May 29, 2011

Target Practice posted:

We live right next to a major section of the San Andreas Fault but don't have any earthquake preparedness stuff ready. We probably should but I have like no idea how to even start *shrug*

-Buy 3 of those grocery store five gallon water jug dispenser things per person in your home, that is a gallon a day per person for two weeks

-Buy 3 x 14 cans of food per person, that's three meals a day per person for 2 weeks

-Buy some flashlights and a whole bunch of batteries

-Have a little radio (battery or crank) to hear news

---have good locks on your doors/windows, a baseball bat, and/or a massive weird stockpile of guns just in case it gets weird outside, or not

------------------
there is your shelter in place kit for two weeks which is how long the cops etc start removing broken glass and patrolling and stuff. This is assuming your place did not fall down and is safe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Buy an expandable rubber sewer plug that fits your main. If there's a serious disaster, sewer pumps power down and everything goes to gravity feed which means that everybody's poo poo uphill from you is going to backflow into your house.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

naem posted:

-Buy 3 of those grocery store five gallon water jug dispenser things per person in your home, that is a gallon a day per person for two weeks

-Buy 3 x 14 cans of food per person, that's three meals a day per person for 2 weeks

-Buy some flashlights and a whole bunch of batteries

-Have a little radio (battery or crank) to hear news

---have good locks on your doors/windows, a baseball bat, and/or a massive weird stockpile of guns just in case it gets weird outside, or not

------------------
there is your shelter in place kit for two weeks which is how long the cops etc start removing broken glass and patrolling and stuff. This is assuming your place did not fall down and is safe

Also good to have a stack of cash for buying emergency poo poo since your credit and debit cards could be useless.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Target Practice posted:

yeah i dont have anything either but i live on the 3rd story of my apartment so i'll either die as it collapses or get to "forage" grocery stores while the LAPD shoots black people doing the same thing looting

naem
May 29, 2011

Your place might fall down and not be safe SO:

Make a backpack kit, imagine you are going to camp overnight for three nights in bad weather:

Per person:
-One change clothes
-several pairs socks
-long underwear top/bottom
-full body hooded rain poncho (military ones work well if you don't mind looking stupid)
-tarp and rope to improvise tent (takes up little space)
-those disposable tinfoil space blanket things
-water bottle and way to purify water
-two ways to start fire (don't start a fire though probably)
-flashlight/batteries
-notebook of personal info like banking etc
-a whole bunch of granola bars
-some cash in $5 and $10's
-have a place to go, plan with loved ones

For like $50 bucks you now won't immediately die of thirst or exposure as you grab this backpack and jump out of bed and run outside in your jammies

Fun fact, 11 crumpled $1 bills kept in your front pocket and handed to a mugger looks like a lot of cash

Another fun fact, a metal medical cane is not legally a weapon and yet can wonk someone over the head pretty good if you had too

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I've got a couple buckets of Moutain House food bags that are supposed to last 10+ years and a bunch of bottled water. Probably enough for a week's worth of food and water. Just have them in case of a huge snowstorm or natural disaster or emergency strands me in my apartment for a while so I don't have to wander out and start looting stuff or freezing to death trying to get to a grocery store. I figure if anything is bad enough that I need more then that, then I am just going to resign myself to being a skull on some raider's car hood.

edit: Not gonna lie, I put together my disaster stuff after hearing KRS-One's Disaster Kit song.

a_gelatinous_cube fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 5, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
I've got one of those huge maglites that looks like a big black dildo so I don't need a gun

and there's paracord attaching the dog poop baggie thing to the leash so we're prolly good

maybe i should order one of those lifestraw water bottles and stick it in the water bottle place on my backpack like everyone does

oh and a flaregun that would be cool to have

what other gadgets do i want? maybe a magnesium firestarter?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

when you say egg chickens are you referring to chickens that lay eggs or chickens still in their eggs so they can be cracked open for later use?

1000 ISA brown chickens. Eventually you would run out of food for the chickens. They eat alot of food.

naem
May 29, 2011

Rain gear, exposure kills

Tinfoil space blankets, you'll stay warm but sweat and its gross but won't die

Granola bars, the hippies were right

You're going to poop outside probably, try not to poop on your pants, practice squatting if not already Asian/Slavic

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

The first 2 and half minutes of this is the whitest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I've got one of those huge maglites that looks like a big black dildo so I don't need a gun

and there's paracord attaching the dog poop baggie thing to the leash so we're prolly good

maybe i should order one of those lifestraw water bottles and stick it in the water bottle place on my backpack like everyone does

oh and a flaregun that would be cool to have

what other gadgets do i want? maybe a magnesium firestarter?

all that gadgetry isnt really survival stuff, it'll just keep you comfortable. to survive all your kit needs is: warm clothes, a heavy plastic tarp (2 is better), firestarter, and a good hunting knife.

additions that could improve your survivability long term: a metal pot, compass, nylon rope, steel wire, hatchet

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
i have an ergency dildo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FlimFlam Imam posted:

The first 2 and half minutes of this is the whitest thing I've ever seen in my life.

vic berger edit is >>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOH37W0jPpA

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

You can get some of those Jim Bakker buckets if you are a literal crazy person

https://youtu.be/rOH37W0jPpA

e: lol :argh:

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I want to prepare for the end. I always thought preppers were crazy but when my crazy friend showed me all his stuff, I realized I'm going to die like a bitch while he's also probably dying like a bitch but has a much better chance at living than I do, and he definitely won't die hungry.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When poo poo goes down, you better have some dehydrated food, fill your bathtub to the brim with water, lock your house and load your gun.

e: My grandfather also left me a WW2 bolt action rifle and a bunch of ammo. So if poo poo goes down I'll reenact myself some Private Ryan poo poo.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

Wife works for the CDC so at the bottom of a closet somewhere in a big airtight box we have a CDC-recommended reserve of:

Foods that last for six months:
boxed potatoes
dried fruit
crackers
powdered milk

Foods that last for about 1 year:
canned soup/fruits/vegetables/juice/nuts
peanut butter and jelly
cereal, oatmeal

Foods that last many years:
bouillon cubes, seasoning packets
dried corn
dry pasta
rice
tea/cocoa packets

along with a lot of bottled water and tools like can opener, camping stove, fuel, chlorine tablets, etc.

As for the why, take your pick really. Natural disaster, infrastructural disaster, social collapse (any number of things can cause this), thermonuclear exchange, a few inches of ice on Atlanta roadways, whatever. The exact mechanism for why you might not have electricity or running water for a long while is less important at the citizens' end than getting them to prepare meaningfully for anything at all instead of just buying more guns and freaking out.

edit: my call for "most likely apocalyptic scenario" is a pandemic-triggered social collapse, like in The Division. Society breaks down pretty rapidly if just half of everyone stays home. You don't need half of them to die (although bioweapons could get that done too), just to be sick enough for long enough, or obliged to care for a loved one who is.

Companion Cube fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 5, 2016

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Although my mom lives pretty close and has bought close to $10,000 of buckets filled with dehydrated food from Jim Bakker (approximately twenty-one years worth of food for four people) along with gas masks, guns, and a replica of the horn of David from the Bible so who knows. Maybe I'll be alright.

I'm not sure if there will actually be raider gangs or not. Has the media twisted my perception of the apocalypse? Will humanity lend a helping hand to its neighbor?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you dont need emergency water or fancy micro filters. get a Kelly Kettle and all of your water needs are taken care of (assuming you dont live next to a mine or something):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcForaMyLcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you have a gun and a little courage everything the light touches is yours, Simba.

• Locked thread