Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I thyink you can DP the wrecking ball on block, but not sure.

Xbox users can also send you salty ragemail if you're on PC, just open the xbox app and you'll receive them. Reminds me of old GFWL days.
I've never gotten any hatemail (probably because I'm pretty terrible) but I have heard some guy cursing in French and a little kid telling me I was cheap. Good times. Then I started putting everyone on mute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

my xbone rando experience is that i played as this

and immediately got met with a "what the hell is that supposed to be"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't touched SFV since getting this on PC, so much fun. I can't wait for the singleplayer Shadow Lords conquest thing. I like the idea of recruiting certain characters and then just destroying the others. Kind of wish normal modes had a difficulty option though for training purposes.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

For anyone curious, the free character has changed to Jago.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So there are no real BnB combos in this game, right? You just always confirm into a linker into whatever you think you can get away with?

My other question is that if enders are always hard, shouldn't I just save my breaker for that because it's guaranteed and the source of most of the combo damage?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

fadam posted:

So there are no real BnB combos in this game, right? You just always confirm into a linker into whatever you think you can get away with?

My other question is that if enders are always hard, shouldn't I just save my breaker for that because it's guaranteed and the source of most of the combo damage?

The start of your combo, before you do your opener, can function just like a "traditional" combo. There are also juggles, generally off AA's, that work like traditional combos. However, even these are breakable in some situations.

Enders aren't breakable*, you also don't know when your opponent will go for their ender as they can do it at any time during the combo.

*There is an exception if you do a combo with no breakable moves, this makes the ender breakable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Other than the Infil guide are there any good online resources for this game?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

fadam posted:

Other than the Infil guide are there any good online resources for this game?

Have you done the tutorial? Seriously, it's pretty great.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Have you done the tutorial? Seriously, it's pretty great.

I have, but I'm looking for character specific set-ups and combos. I wanna play the dinosaur or ghost girl

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

fadam posted:

I have, but I'm looking for character specific set-ups and combos. I wanna play the dinosaur or ghost girl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tb-A4f3VQY

This is a pretty good guide for ghost girl if you can stand Geoff the Hero's awful gimmick.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I can't, but ty anyway.

Dumb question, but how do I actually buy/equip costume stuff? I have all this KI gold and I unlocked a belt for Hisako but I have no idea how to do anything with it.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 7, 2016

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011
For some reason they put the customization stuff in the store. Go to the store, go to Fighters, select the one you want to customize, and then you can set up custom outfits for both the default costume or their retro costume. The default and retro costumes have different cosmetics.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Does this game have jab anti airs?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sometimes.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Sometimes.

Sometimes is good. Sometimes is better than always.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Took my HitBox out of storage, got the PC version running, went 4-5 in qualifying with a crash to desktop on char select that I guess is an auto-loss all with Tusk having never played KI before. I'm pretty happy with the results since I felt like I was going entirely on SF fundamentals, tick throws and punishing unsafe wakeups. Got blown up a few times by a Hisako and Shadow Jago but overall I'm liking this a lot more than SFV or MKX.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Played a good set last night where a couple of things finally clicked for me and I had a lot of fun. I was fully in that "just one more" mode, especially after I lost, which this game happily accommodates with its fast load times and a fuckin rematch button. So much less downtime playing this game compared to SFV!

This game's netcode is also nothing short of wizardry because I completely forget that I'm playing online sometimes.

I'm gonna do a Jago infodump post at some point soon as is customary for me when learning a new character or game. I don't expect anyone to care, it's cool, IT'S NOT FOR YOU ANYWAY, JERK!

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do you guys (besides Trykt) think of Jago? I'm finding him kind of boring and found Sabrewulf to be way more enjoyable. Honestly, I'm thinking about getting the game even though I can't play online because I want to try more of the characters. It's just fun to get a feel for what they do and experience what they bring to the table.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Jago is pretty boring. Season 2 and Season 3 characters are way more interesting IMHO

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jago is, as a character, very strong. He always has options, and can always make himself safe if he's willing to expend resources. He's good to great but not the best in almost every aspect of the game. The one area where I'd say he's among the weakest is his mixups, which consist only of your basic low or slow overhead, or standard tick throw into not much damage game. He's got to be fairly honest in his approach, but fortunately he gets plenty of +frames to frame trap you with. He's just all around fundamentally sound. He's the closest I've ever seen to being a true 5-5 matchup with the entire cast in a fighting game where every matchup isn't 5-5.

Edit: the one area where Jago is weakest is that his shadow moves are very, very regular, which makes them easier to break and shadow counter than much of the cast.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 8, 2016

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Trykt posted:

Played a good set last night where a couple of things finally clicked for me and I had a lot of fun. I was fully in that "just one more" mode, especially after I lost, which this game happily accommodates with its fast load times and a fuckin rematch button. So much less downtime playing this game compared to SFV!

This game's netcode is also nothing short of wizardry because I completely forget that I'm playing online sometimes.

I'm gonna do a Jago infodump post at some point soon as is customary for me when learning a new character or game. I don't expect anyone to care, it's cool, IT'S NOT FOR YOU ANYWAY, JERK!

If you want, make it a linkable post or post it to a blog site. Ill add it to the op.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

How can I get my fightstick to work with this blasted game?
I have a older hitbox, with the cthulu CCA.

Iv tried joy2key and x360 emulator.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Windows 10 store or whatever is such poo poo. I must have tried to buy the supreme edition 6 times and nothing goes through or unlocks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Windows 10 store or whatever is such poo poo. I must have tried to buy the supreme edition 6 times and nothing goes through or unlocks.

You have to enter a physical address in game to confirm your purchase.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

LeninVS posted:

How can I get my fightstick to work with this blasted game?
I have a older hitbox, with the cthulu CCA.

Iv tried joy2key and x360 emulator.

I have the same HitBox and this guide worked flawlessly:

https://www.reddit.com/r/killerinstinct/comments/4ciyx5/steps_to_getting_xoutput_to_work_with_ki_pc/

Just make sure you set Left Analog X to Axis 1 and Left Analog Y to Axis 2 and it should work fine. I think you can also just map them to the D-Pad.

E: Here's what my setup looks like. Top buttons are LP MP HP 3P, bottom buttons LK MK HK 3K, front side buttons Home Back Start left to right.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 10, 2016

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This game is neat but people being able to keep comboing you after the KO is as aids as fatalities are.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

fadam posted:

This game is neat but people being able to keep comboing you after the KO is as aids as fatalities are.

Someone call scrub quotes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fadam posted:

get gud

Alternatively, play T J Combo and you can get back up.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 10, 2016

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheManSeries posted:

Someone call scrub quotes.

I just want to get to the next game instead of watching a dumb canned combo for the hundredth time. It's dumb time wasting garbage that only appeals to dragon tattoo having morons.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 10, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

It still takes less time than matchmaking in SFV.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, but matchmaking sucks in SFV because Capcom is incompetent and doesn't know how to do any better. Someone at the KI studio thought making people wait forever post-match was a good idea and deliberately put this ultra combo poo poo in the game and that's worse imo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I double ultra'd a guy and it felt good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

fadam posted:

Yeah, but matchmaking sucks in SFV because Capcom is incompetent and doesn't know how to do any better. Someone at the KI studio thought making people wait forever post-match was a good idea and deliberately put this ultra combo poo poo in the game and that's worse imo.

forever? it takes like 6 seconds at best and isnt even as drawn as fatalities are. anyway think of it as your punishment for getting owned by dragon tattoo loving morons

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

forever? it takes like 6 seconds at best and isnt even as drawn as fatalities are. anyway think of it as your punishment for getting owned by dragon tattoo loving morons

It definitely takes way longer than six seconds.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
It is a moronic feature and it should be removed. Keep the post-win teabag and taunt if you must but having to alt-tab when someone does that mashy combo poo poo is dumb.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

OP is updated with controller support. Also for what it's worth, outside of online play, most players don't swag combo each other forever after death. It's not the end of the world.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A lot of poo poo that's stupid and shouldn't exist isn't "the end of the world."

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

fadam posted:

A lot of poo poo that's stupid and shouldn't exist isn't "the end of the world."

For what it's worth I agree with you. I hate that apparently complaining about literally anything is seen as as "scrubby" or "whiny" or some poo poo. This is why I tend to loving hate people who play competitive video games. Yeah, it's one thing to be a whiny rear end and complain about easily solvable problems (fireballs being the big one), it's another completely to make a point about something and then everyone goes "lol stfu gitgud scrub". Yeah sure, I'll "get good" at waiting for some guy I don't know to enact his violent revenge fantasies in the video game for 30 seconds after I lose a match. I mean, I don't have this game even, but that's a stupid loving design decision as far as online multiplayer is concerned.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Alright, I'm going to address both of you and nip this now because I want this game to keep having people who play it. You are allowed to not like parts of a game. I'll be real frank, I wouldn't have responded with,"Someone call Scrubquotes" had the original post not compared Ultra Combos and fatalities to loving AIDs. Had your post been something along the lines of,"Man, I'm enjoying this game but Ultra Combos kinda bug me" we would be having a different conversation. Fun fact, dropping an ultra at the end of the match is a safe way to end a combo the moment someone drops into danger. It cannot be broken, and while it is flashier than an ender, it is a guaranteed kill when used effectively. If you want to learn to play and stay open minded, just about anyone from the FGC will help you. Normally when someone tells you to "get gud", you're acting like a fool. Comparing a mechanic you don't like to AIDs is acting like a fool.

As far as BKB goes, I have spent the last 2 years watching people poo poo on KI. I know a lot of people who have done the same, and admittedly the scene gets screwed at tournaments pretty regularly. The poo poo that went down at Final Round isn't the first time it happened. Not once on this forums did I go out there and bitch at people who didn't like my game. Enjoyment is subjective, and I have some issues with this game myself. That doesn't give me right to show up, insult people and act like a fool in various threads. I don't like DoA, Smash, or BlazBlue games, but I don't go out of my way to enter those threads and bitch about that game to people. Come here to talk about learning, playing or just general questions about KI or get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
KI sucks

• Locked thread