Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

TheManSeries posted:

As far as BKB goes, I have spent the last 2 years watching people poo poo on KI. I know a lot of people who have done the same, and admittedly the scene gets screwed at tournaments pretty regularly. The poo poo that went down at Final Round isn't the first time it happened. Not once on this forums did I go out there and bitch at people who didn't like my game. Enjoyment is subjective, and I have some issues with this game myself. That doesn't give me right to show up, insult people and act like a fool in various threads. I don't like DoA, Smash, or BlazBlue games, but I don't go out of my way to enter those threads and bitch about that game to people. Come here to talk about learning, playing or just general questions about KI or get the gently caress out.

Alright, that's cool. It doesn't look like a bad game in my book, but jumping down someone's throat just because they compared it to something really bad instead of using a really generic turn of phrase is not cool. I don't think someone deserves public mockery over thinking that a design decision is annoying.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Cue slide whistle and laugh track.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

BlueKingBar posted:

This is why I tend to loving hate people who play competitive video games.

Please consider that the problem may lie more with your own apparently large amount of personal baggage.

Trykt fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 10, 2016

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
So I made a discord channel for fighting game general stuff but a lot of us are using it for Killer Instinct at the moment, come hang out and play some games!

https://discord.gg/0wBmC7rtxZNSeWC3

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TheManSeries posted:

Alright, I'm going to address both of you and nip this now because I want this game to keep having people who play it. You are allowed to not like parts of a game. I'll be real frank, I wouldn't have responded with,"Someone call Scrubquotes" had the original post not compared Ultra Combos and fatalities to loving AIDs. Had your post been something along the lines of,"Man, I'm enjoying this game but Ultra Combos kinda bug me" we would be having a different conversation. Fun fact, dropping an ultra at the end of the match is a safe way to end a combo the moment someone drops into danger. It cannot be broken, and while it is flashier than an ender, it is a guaranteed kill when used effectively. If you want to learn to play and stay open minded, just about anyone from the FGC will help you. Normally when someone tells you to "get gud", you're acting like a fool. Comparing a mechanic you don't like to AIDs is acting like a fool.

As far as BKB goes, I have spent the last 2 years watching people poo poo on KI. I know a lot of people who have done the same, and admittedly the scene gets screwed at tournaments pretty regularly. The poo poo that went down at Final Round isn't the first time it happened. Not once on this forums did I go out there and bitch at people who didn't like my game. Enjoyment is subjective, and I have some issues with this game myself. That doesn't give me right to show up, insult people and act like a fool in various threads. I don't like DoA, Smash, or BlazBlue games, but I don't go out of my way to enter those threads and bitch about that game to people. Come here to talk about learning, playing or just general questions about KI or get the gently caress out.

I have no problem with the ultra combo existing and making the second health bar worse than the first, I have a problem with having to sit through dumb, pointless time wasters that only exist because dragon tattoos get bonered up watching the same canned combo over and over and over and over again. I called it aids because it is.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Excuse me but AIDS is no longer the acceptable incurable disease to compare video game mechanics to, most people now prefer to use "cancer" or "cancerous" or the much more general "toxic".

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Are you simple or something?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Buhbuhj posted:

Are you simple or something?

No, I said I don't like Ultra Combos.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hey guys: AIDS stopped being edgy 20 years ago and is only considered a sick burn on your uncle's Facebook page. The trendy ailments of 2016 are all neurological. Please consider autism or Parkinsons as a replacement, thank you.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

TJ is too fun. Also since it seems like there's no other use for KI gold than early dressup, I figured a worthy use would be creating TJ Slice sooner. That or a beefier MC Ride, take your pick. :whatup:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

After I get Hisako to 50 I'm going to learn TJ combo I think. Him, or the mummy, or Aganos.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

Hey guys: AIDS stopped being edgy 20 years ago and is only considered a sick burn on your uncle's Facebook page. The trendy ailments of 2016 are all neurological. Please consider autism or Parkinsons as a replacement, thank you.

what about th3e autism spectrum>? cuz im on it for sure.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Thunder might have one of my favorite command throws ever.

Getting used to the Rhythm of this game is weird though, I keep dropping combos early even though it's not that hard of a thing to grasp.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

I'm gonna make alopecia a thing!

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Booyah- posted:

what about th3e autism spectrum>? cuz im on it for sure.

I'm actually on that spectrum and I don't really like it when people use it as a punchline when it's actually sort of tough to live with on the reg

How many chars have obnoxious combos where they just bounce the opponent over and over after the ultra

like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvPoj5GuN9A

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Like, 3 or 4.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

i will play them all

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

You might want to look into Orchid. She can do something like 4 ultras at the end of a match.

Glacius has some interesting post ultra juggles involving his ice ball and ultra ender.

Any character with a recapture move can land 3 ultras, minimum.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TJ is the character I learned the game with. He's got some really good tools and a fair amount of options to get in and hurt people. He's got a few bad matchups, but nothing super detrimental to having a good time.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Oh hey, there's a thread for this!

Is there any good Spinal resource out there? Getting that first skull is really tricky. I've read the guide and I've seen a little of Bass play, but any more would be appreciated.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

You might want to look into Orchid. She can do something like 4 ultras at the end of a match.

Glacius has some interesting post ultra juggles involving his ice ball and ultra ender.

Any character with a recapture move can land 3 ultras, minimum.

oh no I've played orchid since season 2, what I want is the ability to just bounce the opponent like a ragdoll repeatedly after the initial ultra just to gently caress with them and make them really angry so they'll post in this thread about it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hadooooken posted:

oh no I've played orchid since season 2, what I want is the ability to just bounce the opponent like a ragdoll repeatedly after the initial ultra just to gently caress with them and make them really angry so they'll post in this thread about it

Glacius is the only one I can think of that comes close and it's actually kind of hard and can only do something like 3 reps for far fewer hits.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Tusk and Kim Wu can do that really well

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Yardbomb posted:

TJ is too fun. Also since it seems like there's no other use for KI gold than early dressup, I figured a worthy use would be creating TJ Slice sooner. That or a beefier MC Ride, take your pick. :whatup:

Soon your crew will be servin' sandwiches named after him.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Deleter posted:

Oh hey, there's a thread for this!

Is there any good Spinal resource out there? Getting that first skull is really tricky. I've read the guide and I've seen a little of Bass play, but any more would be appreciated.

I've watched quite a bit of top8/16 KI over season 2, and sometimes he just can't get anything going until he gets ultra. He's a momentum heavy character. If the momentum is on your side, it's just a bad time for the other person. If the momentum is against you, it's a bad time for you. On average, games with Spinal probably have the biggest health swings in KI. That being said, I'm not sure how he changed in season 3, if at all.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Safety Scissors posted:

I've watched quite a bit of top8/16 KI over season 2, and sometimes he just can't get anything going until he gets ultra.
You mean instinct.

quote:

He's a momentum heavy character. If the momentum is on your side, it's just a bad time for the other person. If the momentum is against you, it's a bad time for you. On average, games with Spinal probably have the biggest health swings in KI. That being said, I'm not sure how he changed in season 3, if at all.
That's how Spinal is, yep. Tons of options against someone else's wakeup, very few options for his own.

edit: a few things I've seen watching spinal matches: getting that first skull is crucial. Most of the time, you're going to get it from a throw or two. However, if the other guy locks out on you, you should be immedialtely going for a couple of spectral doubles. Each one you land gives you a skull. Spinal isn't a high damage character, and you shouldn't be trying to go for the damage ender most of the time. Typically, you'll either go for the skull ender, which gives you 1-4 skulls depending on combo level, or you'll go for the launcher ender, which can juggle into skull>shadow skull>skull for maximum resource drain. The longer you can keep draining your opponent's resources, the more of a steamroll the match turns into. Some characters, like Sadira, become almost completely helpless once the drain starts.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 11, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alright, those seem like good answers. Guess I just gotta get online with him.

As for Season 3 changes, I think skulls no longer drain resources, but they're harder to remove. His Instinct doesn't regenerate skulls, but blocked ones bounce around the screen if blocked. It's nice not having all your curses vanish if you get jabbed but I miss being an oppressive cackling rear end in a top hat.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
They reworked his curses so they don't drain anymore, they just prevent meter being built. A significant nerf, but at least they last 30 seconds now and stack, so if he's cursed you six times you have to hit him six times to get clean.

Also his instinct doesn't just give you skulls anymore, you still have to earn them but you get 2 skulls anytime he'd normally get one (except off the absorb move). They buffed the way his projectiles work in instinct pretty significantly as well.

Overall it seems like he got a lot weaker in season 3, but it seems like the reasons he was good before were kinda dumb, so a net gain for the game.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Man, I played TJ the last few years and the switch to Kim had been real rough.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Holy crap spinal might as well be a new character.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^.

Yeah, he must have gotten other stuff to compensate. When Fulgore was reworked from Season 1 to Season 2, you could have just listed a couple changes like that, and he would have looked real bad. If you looked through all the changes, you would have realized he's still good.

In that case, my guess is there will be very limited to nonexistent guides for Spinal at the moment.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfPcpSQxPg

Here's a beginner-oriented video that taught me something that I guess should have been obvious from the start but I maybe cannot stop thinking about combos in street fighter terms so I didn't realize this at all. Basically if you throw out a special move to try and start some offense you should just buffer in another special move anytime you do that, and it's an option select where you can more easily confirm the combo on hit and literally nothing else happens on block, it's totally the same, so there's no real reason not to do it.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Newest patch dropped today. Patch notes below:

http://www.ultra-combo.com/patch-notes-3-04/

Looks like a lot of quality of life fixes are live as well as fixes to busted Kan-Ra and Glacius issues.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Been playing this game lately since it released on Windows. Much better than I expected it to be.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Patch is a god send, now I dont have to set my monitor to 60hz every time I play.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They didn't even need to make an announcement a month in advance either

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfPcpSQxPg

Here's a beginner-oriented video that taught me something that I guess should have been obvious from the start but I maybe cannot stop thinking about combos in street fighter terms so I didn't realize this at all. Basically if you throw out a special move to try and start some offense you should just buffer in another special move anytime you do that, and it's an option select where you can more easily confirm the combo on hit and literally nothing else happens on block, it's totally the same, so there's no real reason not to do it.

This was actually quite helpful. I think part of the problem is that the tutorial leads you to believe that you always have to do a normal after a special, but that's not the case all the time. It seems that you can combo two specials with any character if it's opener -> linker, linker -> shadow linker, linker -> ender.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What is the advantage of playing this game on a 144hz monitor. Any gameplay advantages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

What is the advantage of playing this game on a 144hz monitor. Any gameplay advantages?

Its a 60hz fighting game. You get nothing from extra refresh. Hopefully the patch from yesterday means you don't lose anything from extra refresh.

• Locked thread