Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Fun fact... only 89 players in the field this year. Lowest number of players in the Masters since 2002 which was also 89 players. I think usually it's like 97 or something. Would have been 90, but Fred Couples WD'd this morning citing acute back pain.

Also, going on record that Sergio will not make the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Spinnaker posted:

Has anyone ever tried just driving to Augusta and trying to buy tickets from scalpers or departing patrons around midday? It's 3.5 hours each way. Wondering if it's worth the risk. I don't want to pay $1k for a ticket...

I did a couple years ago. Buddy of mine has Monday grounds passes he gets from his father that lives 1/2 mile from the course. I went down for a couple days to hang out and take in the atmosphere. Generally there aren't scalpers because there are limited amounts of tickets and you have to either know someone or have won the lottery to get them. Some people will sell the second half of the day on their tickets as you can exit the grounds and return in the same day, with the same ticket. So you'll see a lot of people ticket sharing. Even then though they want something dumb like $500-600 for the half day and that's even for practice rounds. I never saw any proper scalpers, but I imagine if there were you'd be looking at over $1000 a ticket easily.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Another year and another masters.com live stream nightmare full of glitches and skipping. One of these they will get it right.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Rickie's sister needs to drop some lbs!

Oh Snedeker...

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
This Bryson DeChambeau dude is pretty good. I forgot he was that weird physics nerd that determined having all the same length irons would actually allow him to play better and more consistent with his compact swing.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

shyduck posted:

Dechambeau's irons are all the same length. Hmm.

edit: are all of his shafts cut and stepped the same way?

Pretty sure they are all the length of a 9 iron, if I recall correctly. I mean, if you saw his second shot on #1 he was hitting a 4iron that looked like wedge length lol

Edit: Does anyone know if the Masters coverage channels on DirecTV have this featured groups stream? They usually have everything else from the website on there

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 7, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RideTheSpiral posted:

i get an off-air message. maybe its geolocked

Pretty sure masters.com streams are indeed US only.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

straight up brolic posted:

i hate dechambeau's hat

I hate Fowlers pants and high top golf shoes.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

that shot off the tee was amazing (that neary ace'd, can't remember who)

Zach Johnson almost rolled one in settled at 3ft or something

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Man...both Dechambeau and the Chinese dude are solid off the tee, but their second shots and putts are just rushed. Pretty sure dechambeau just drove the ball like 340 and he didn't even look like he was trying

Edit: Ooops, I jinxed the Cheng :(

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RideTheSpiral posted:

i havent followed the build up at all. how are the greens? have they scaled the speed back a little?

Don't think so, they look pretty quick right now and I think it rained a bit overnight too

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RideTheSpiral posted:

was it last year all the players good butthurt about the greens?

They were at the US Open, not the masters afaik.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

geeteeslow posted:

Hey guys;

First time poster in the SAS forum. Big-time lurker over in AI. Well, I suppose I'll begin like this. I'm a born and raised Augustan with family & friends that are members at the National. Augusta is a huge golf town with good reason, but there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes here locally to make everything come together. Any questions about the tournament or the history behind the course, or just general bs questions, I'm glad to help.

Don't have a question, been many times before. Any new/nice construction going on? For having one of the most revered courses in the world Augusta isn't much of a town/city. From what I have seen it's actually quite a poor area. My buddies father lives in what is basically a stationary trailer (also called a "ranch" ) less than 1/2 mile from the course entrance.c

Fun earth view of the course and surrounding area...The course must use 95% of the cities water supply :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 7, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

They're 37.5" which is 7 iron length. Still Edels.

Actually, 37.5" is average 6 iron length for steel shafts. It's 37.5" 7 iron for graphite shafts.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
His swing is basically always on plane at 70 degrees too, his only issue is speed through the ball so his distances are all over the place...also his putting measurements are all off hes over compensating like 10 degrees right...(i don't know if that's true, he's just a physics nerd so I assume he's working out angles and impact poo poo all the time)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

does anyone know if there's a relationship between total strokes of pairing (excluding individual) and strokes of an individual player? feel like playing with others who are playing well, giving you reads at the pin, and showing you what to do would improve your game. Casey and the Cabbie seem like they're helping out Spieth

I would say so. I for sure play much better when I play with people that are doing well. Part of it is obviously trying to compete with them and not just do whatever, but the other side of it is being able to visualize shots through wind, how they land etc.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Yeah, that was difficult to watch. Carded a 10 on the first hole, +7 through 3 or something... gross

Whelp... Jason Day -3 through 5

Never mind, this announcer is dumb.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 7, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Noticed a few players are now hitting those PXG Iron... Johnson being one of them...

https://www.pxg.com/clubs/irons - Pretty expensive irons are like $350/ea

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I really wish they wouldn't put Keegs on featured groups, or really any of the guys playing right now on them. No fun to watch.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Hmm wonder if the cut is going to be at +2

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Bubba looks like he's a caddy

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

Appropriate since he's playing like one.

He's definitely struggling.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
When did Els switch back to Tmade clubs? Dude was using SLDR driver and Mizuno irons and then switch to all Adams in 2014 and now all of a sudden he's back to Taylormade driver/irons.

Omg! They were talking about Ernies putting fiasco yesterday because his putt on the same hole was like 2ft away...and he misses it! AHHH luckily he made the tap in after.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 8, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Josh Lyman posted:

TaylorMade bought Adams in 2012 then started the process of shutting it down last year. YErnie, Aaron Baddeley, Bernhard Langer, Tom Watson, Yani Tseng, Brittany Lincicome, none of them wear the logo anymore.

Huh, didn't know that. Though I guess I haven't seen much in the way of new Adams clubs lately. The dudes at Golf Galaxy are pushing cobra hybrids pretty hard though, where they used to push those tie lie hybrids a few years ago.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Sergio making his signature friday afternoon move into the top 5 before the inevitable Saturday poo poo show.

Cut is at +4 which seems funny for some reason. Have a look at some of these dudes that are +19 :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 8, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
They need to put this featured group crap on Speef, I can't stand watching these guys suck it up anymore.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I kind of want to see Dechambeau go on a hot birdie streak and get into second place or someting, he's only 2 back from that anyway lol

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

RideTheSpiral posted:

commentator just called some white guy 'a native of south africa'

So? Pretty sure a lot of South Africans are white, at least all the ones I know are. They're basically british.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Bill Barber posted:

I'd follow a golfer named Cobra.

The previous point stands, because who the gently caress is that?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Bubba....'let's see, I have 190 to the pin...yeah, I'll go with this 8 iron and try to murder it.....poo poo, should have used a normal 7, drat it."

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Bill Barber posted:

That's the Cobra man. Don't gently caress with the Cobra.

It would be cool if he got the nickname from having a hobby as a snake charmer or something

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

lol

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I could watch Tiger shoot +15 on round at Augusta and be more entertained than this poo poo.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Daric posted:

The lack of TV coverage always baffles me. This is the biggest tournament of the year and you can't show the leader and defending champion WHILE he's playing? I just want to watch Rory and there's no way to do that since he's not in a featured group and its not on TV.

ESPN Coverage starts in 10 minutes, sooo

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Daric posted:

Yeah, after a lot of groups are already done. It just doesn't make any sense. You have the whole golf channel and the only thing they can do is show that Spieth putting video 3 times over the course of a couple hours while golf is actually being played?

That's the problem with the masters it's locked to a rival network so Golf Channel can only show highlights like everyone else. Coverage should start on like ESPN2 at 9am for a major like this though. Even weekend coverage doesn't start until 2 just before all the leaders tee off.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I'm already fired up for the 2017 PGA Championship @ Quail Hollow. Going to get wrecked in a parking lot and then ride the bus in. Charlotte is like the tailgate everything capital of the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Epic choke!

I did win 300 bucks though so that was cool. Went to a master's party and people were drawing names out of a hat for $5 bucks a piece and I just happened to pick Danny Willet! Although when I first picked the name I thought I was pretty much done for. One guy even picked Spieth and Smylie Kauffman so he felt pretty good about himself until about 5:30pm :D

• Locked thread