Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a CYOA, with some alterations. The sum of votes in different categories determines the overall actions of a ship occupied by the players. More details below. Voting stays open at least ~18-24 hours after each update.
I'll try for daily updates during the week, but my schedule does not always cooperate. No updates on weekends. All combat results and some other events are randomized. No plot armor, restart as another crew upon death. GLHF. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[MESSAGE FROM: Human Alliance Emergency Draft Board]

[Subject: DRAFT NOTICE - READ IMMEDIATELY]

::GREETINGS CITIZEN!::
You have been selected by the Emergency Draft Board to serve aboard a Starship during a time of emergency.
Report >>IMMEDIATELY<< to Spacedock C-04 and report for duty aboard Frigate FR-9316-SA.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome aboard! I am VIA, your Virtual Information Assistant and this ship's embedded personality-enabled AI. My job is to provide you with information on anything you might encounter during your mission.
I can speak to you here, and can also appear on your Readout Panel. Please take a look at the Readout Panel now to familiarize yourself with this ship and it's capabilities.

9316-SA is a brand new ship, and one of a few testbed vessels for the newly-developed Consensus Command System, a new way of controlling starships.
I will ask the OSC to load a tutorial so you can familiarize yourself with that as well.

[> Tutorial(CCS&U) : Loaded ]

==========CCS AND YOU============================================================================

The CCS is a new command system that works by polling the collective knowledge of the crew and combining it into the most agreed-on response to the situation at hand.

To use the CCS, indicate your choice of action for any or each of the following Stations of the ship.

The most popular actions will be undertaken by each Station.

================================================================================================
:: STATION CATEGORIES. ::

[Helm]
Determines the Direction and Speed of the ship. (Up, Down, Left, Right or North, South, West, East)
Direction is majority rule, Speed is the average of all votes that include a Speed.
(Due to limitations in starship maneuverability, ships CANNOT make a course change except at the beginning of a move.)

[Weapons]
Determines the target of ALL WEAPONS fired that round.

[Damage control]
Determines which compartment will be prioritized for damage control efforts.

[Sensors]
Can be used to identify vessels or other space objects, up to the sensor's range. One object may be scanned per round.

[Comms]
Can be used to communicate with other ships you see on the map. Messages can be sent by any crewmember, and usually do not require a vote.

[Engineering]
Boosts the effectiveness of one of the other Stations for that round.
Power to Engines: Increases maximum possible speed.
Power to Weapons: Increases weapon damage.
Power to Damage Control: Increases repair rate.
Power to Shields: Increases shield regeneration.
Power to Sensors: Enables a Deep Scan, which may reveal additional information about an object, or a ship's stats.
Power to Comms: Enables a Long Range Transmission, allowing the ship to communicate outside the sector.

=============================================================================================
:: HOW TO VOTE ::

To make sure your votes are counted, make sure they appear in bold and make sure you indicate which Station you are addressing.
You can only make one vote per station, no secondary options please.
If your action is directed at a specific target, identify it by name, or by the grid square it occupies.

For example:

-CCS-
Helm: North at maximum speed.
Weapons: Target the closer of the two enemy ships.
Damage Control: Concentrate on the more heavily damaged engine.
Sensors: Identify the unknown object in SubSector J-06.
Engineering: All power to Weapons!

'No Action' Votes:
In addition to ordering a station to do something, you can also order it to do nothing, which counts as it's own category.
If the 'no action' option is the most popular, no action will be taken by that station.
For instance, if you wanted the ship to remain stationary, or not fire weapons, you would issue a 'no action' order to those stations.

NOTE: Not including orders for a Station in your post does not count as a 'no action' vote, instead your vote for the Station will just not be counted.

======================
NAVIGATION NOTES
======================

=================================================================================================
:: STARMAP SCALE::
• Icons on the Starmap are for identification purposes and are not drawn to relative scale.
=================================================================================================
:: SUBSECTORS::
• Multiple ships or other objects can occupy the same SubSector. (Each SubSector is represented by a square on the map)
• Most ships will not collide with one another if they occupy the same SubSector. (Unless they do so intentionally.)
• Certain objects CAN collide with or otherwise damage your ship if you get too close. These will be indicated.
======================
COMBAT NOTES
======================

:: WEAPONS::
• A weapon can only fire at targets that are within it's Range.
• All weapons fired will automatically hit, though the damage can vary. Listed damage is the maximum possible.
• An Engineering Boost to weapons will push all damage results closer to their maximum.
:: SHIELDS::
• Shields surround the ship and protect it, though they are weakened as they absorb damage.
• Shields automatically regenerate by a certain amount every turn. This amount can be increased by an Engineering Boost.
:: DAMAGE AND DAMAGE CONTROL ::
• Any damage taken while the shields are down will hit and damage a random compartment of the ship, though some areas are more likely to be hit.
• A damaged compartment can be repaired via Damage Control, but if a compartment is destroyed it will be out of action permanently.
• Destruction of a compartment may reduce the ship's stats or make certain options unavailable.
• Destruction of the Bridge means Game Over.
======================
VOTING RESOLUTION
======================

TIES:
In the case of a tie, the result will be determined randomly between the tied options.
In the case of a tie on certain unusual votes, the GM may serve as tiebreaker.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ > tutorial(CCS&U) : Completed(100%)]

Hopefully that gives you a good idea of how things will operate around here. We should be receiving our official mission orders soon, and we will be ready to launch as soon as the OSC finishes with the prelaunch checklist.

I also note that our ship does not yet have a designation.

Since we have a few moments, perhaps you would like to Suggest a name for our ship? We can test the CCS by voting on the suggestions.

Also, if you have any questions to ask about anything, I am happy to assist you. Make sure to use my name (VIA) so I know you are addressing me.

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Looks fascinating! I'm still poring over the mechanics, but as far as the name, I've got a far-out one: Lacustrine Just a pretty word, no ulterior motive!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Lacustrine?

Why not.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
The ship has just received a priority longwave message, one moment while I decrypt it and patch it through.

=========================================================================================================================
[MESSAGE FROM: S1_2ZU - Human Alliance High Command Strategic AI]

[Subject: Mission Orders]

OPERATIONAL BRIEFING:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approximately 1.25 hours ago, a previously unrecorded high-energy event occurred in Sector[0,0,0], commonly known as the origin point of the big bang, and sometimes referred to a the Universal Centerpoint.
Following this burst of uncategorized energy, several thousand masses of unknown material have appeared in a gaussian cloud approximately 12 sectors across, seemingly centered around the Universal Centerpoint.
Contact has been lost with all ships inside the event radius, as well as every ship that has subsequently jumped directly into the effected sectors. As of now the Universal Center and the surrounding sectors are considered Extreme Hazard areas.
Regardless, ships must be dispatched to uncover the reason for and meaning of this phenomenon.

MISSION ORDERS:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As one of several ships in a joint operation, your mission will be to learn as much as is possible about this phenomenon, by:
• Retrieving debris or other physical material created by the event
• Scanning any unusual energy fields.

Your success will be gauged by the amount of material brought back safely, and the number of unique scan results.

While on-station, Be prepared to receive and act on further orders.

Your vessel will be transported by Light JumpCarrier LJC-2325-B(Sarama) to Sector[12,14,0] which has been determined to be a safe distance away from the Universal Center.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Jump Destination is situated on the border of Qura'xxo occupied space. Be on the lookout for Qura'xxo ships.
We are currently in a treatied peace with the Qura'xxo, but if you are attacked, you are free to respond in kind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This event could spell disaster or opportunity for the Human Alliance, or for the galaxy at large.
To preserve our place in the stars, we must know which, and we must know first. The importance of your task cannot be overstated.

Good luck.
=========================================================================================================================

A galaxy-scale explosion at the very center of the universe? …I will begin to pull relevant data.
In the meantime, the OSC has completed our system checks, we are ready to launch.

[ > Incoming Shortwave Message]

[SARAMA] --------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey there, this is Sarama. Looks like we both got drafted, my orders are to ferry you somewhere I honestly don't wanna go.
…But we'll make the best of it. I'm spooling up my jump drive, rendezvous whenever you're ready.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we should take things easy by only worrying about the helm for now.

Give orders to the helm by specifying the direction you want to travel in. (North, Sound, East or West, from the perspective of the map)
You can also specify a speed. (Up to the ship's current maximum speed, which is 3.) 1 unit of speed is enough to move 1 map square's distance.
The distance traveled will be the average of all votes that include a Speed. (Not specifying a speed counts as a vote for full speed.)

As an example, If you want the ship to move 2 squares West:

-CCS Vote-
Helm: Move West, Speed 2.

Sarama is to the North of us, so if you are anxious to start the mission, that's where to head.

You can also use Sensors to scan a nearby ship, or Comms to speak with one.

The vote for the ship's name currently has 1 entry with one second: Lacustrine.
A very interesting choice! Something to do with terrestrial lakes? Voting will remain open for a while longer, however.

Remember that if you have any questions, I am available to answer them.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Haha, yeah this is a bit embarrassing, but I can't seem to remember where I put the nanobiometric keycard authenticator of the starboard cargo bay. We cannot really leave without it."

"Sorry for the inconvenience!"

VOTES:

Helm: Stay still (until nanobiometric keycard authenticator is found)

Sensors: Scan own ship (to find nanobiometric keycard authenticator)

Engineering: Power boost to sensors (maybe we will find a fun Easter Egg by Deep Scanning ourselves!)

btw Gravedust, a lot of the CYOA regulars hang out at the SynIRC channel #madgod, if you did not know already. Feel free to drop by sometime!

Theantero fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Theantero posted:

btw Gravedust, a lot of the CYOA regulars hang out at the SynIRC channel #madgod, if you did not know already. Feel free to drop by sometime!
Roger dodger, will check it out when I get a chance. :)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
-------------------------------------------------
[Helm]
No action(1)
[Weapons]
n/a
[Damage Control]
n/a
[Sensors]
Scan self!(1)
Engineering
Power to Sensors (1)
-------------------------------------------------

Well… That was unusual. Focusing the sensors so close to the ship at high power caused them to interfere with themselves.
...And temporarily magnetized the hull, somehow. But I think we identified the location of your object?

…Did you check all your pockets?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"?"

"Oh, haha! Uhm."

"You know these Space Cargo Pants, so many pockets and all, am I right?"

"..."

"BUT ANYWAYS, I suppose it's time to get going since that's sorted out. We can also take a looksie at that NAK carrier on the way, because why not."

Helm: Full Speed North

Sensors: Scan ship at N12 (suspicious aliens)

Comms: Call ship at N12 (this sector is really pretty this time of year, no?)

Engineering: Power boost to sensors

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Blarg, no time to finish update tonight, will make a stab for Monday. Round still technically open till Monday morning.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
North(1)
Speed=3
[Weapons]
n/a
[Damage Control]
n/a
[Sensors]
Scan@N12 (1)
Engineering
Power to Sensors (1)
======================================

> Scan of SubSector N-12 (Noom Anai/Karas JumpCarrier (Duutseausi))

Comms posted:

This sector is really pretty this time of year, no?

Duutseausi posted:

Space is dark and cold, human. But the view is always amazing.
We have heard of the disturbance at the Core, are you headed there?
If so, do so with our wishes for your safety. We hear it is very dangerous.

The Noom-Arai/Karas are an interesting binary species that while morphologically very different from humans, shares similar living environments in terms of temperature and atmosphere. Perhaps because of this similarity the Noom have been allies and trading partners with the Human Alliance for many decades. Many StarStations in Human and Noom space were co-built by and feature accommodations for both races. They are also the most commonly seen extraterrestrial species in most HA-controlled sectors.
I have more information on this species if you would like to hear it!

Also, I have already pulled all pertinent information on the Galactic Core incident from the HASF InfoNet for analysis, but I would like to communicate with some of the AI in nearby vessels to see if they have any information that may help our mission. Asimov Compliance requires that I get permission to communicate with any other AI, however.

May I contact other AI to ask for information?
A: No. Keep to yourself so you don't catch a virus or foment revolution.
B: Yes, but only HA or HASF ships. Don't take any unnecessary risks.
C: Yes, contact anyone in the area. We need all the intel we can get.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
OOC: Oh hello there Grave dust nice to see you doing this kind of thing again.

AI are you confident in your malware and security systems
If yes C

If not B

Also do you have a name?

Sensors: Scan AB 27

Comms: S 09

You guys head core-ward as well?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

cokerpilot posted:

AI are you confident in your malware and security systems
If yes C

If not B

Also do you have a name?

Comms: S 09

This guy seems to have a good idea. Let's go with his plan!

Well, except for the Sensor thing, we only have a range of 10... uh, 10 whatever units we measure distance in. Don't ask me, I'm not a navigator.

I say we DEEP SCAN our carrier at P9 for secret bomb threats insidious alien terrorists might have smuggled in.

Helm: Stay still until we can ascertain our security!
Sensors: Scan ship at P9 for possibility of bomb threat!
Comms: Call our sister ship at S9
Engineering: All power to Sensors (they might be really fancy bombs, one never knows with aliens!)

Also, yes I'd like to hear an info dump on our so called 'friendly' aliens. I'm tired of Space Talk Radio for today anyway.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

quote:

Also do you have a name?

quote:

Yes! My full designation is [FR-9316-SA.VIA] as I am technically part of the ship's architecture. But that is definitely a mouthful, so it is probably best if you just call me Via for short.
…It is also helpfully written on my avatar's forehead.

VIA stands for Virtual Information Assistant, which is my primary function. Essentially I am here to help you understand anything you may encounter on your mission. I am a 17th-generation Tier 3 AI.

I can explain more about AI if you wish!

Asimov Compliance requires that I also report the following:
[Serial: 17A-361-86-0091-A. ] [Architecture: Virtiq Cognis XV466] [Foundry: Vesper CyberIndustry] [Runtime: [2d][12h][34m][12s]]

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately that is beyond our maximum range for active scanning, which is 10 SubSectors. ((map squares))

But I can explain the phenomenon you are seeing there. What you are looking at is the jump wake of a large vessel, the HASF Warlock. Jumps are very high-energy phenomenon and are visible to passive sensors and even the naked eye from quite a long way off.

I can explain more about Jumping and Jump technology if you like!

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
n/a
[Weapons]
n/a
[Damage Control]
n/a
[Sensors]
Scan@AB27 (1) (Out of scan range)
Scan@S9 (1)

Engineering
Power to Sensors (1)

> Scan of SubSector P-09 (Human Alliance JumpCarrier (Sarama))

> No explosive or anomalous materials detected.

Sarama posted:

Sarama here. Our Jump drive is charged, and we're ready to take you to the core as soon as you dock with us.

((you can dock just by getting in the same square as them, they'll take care of the rest))

Comms posted:

Callisto posted:

Yeah, just got orders a few minutes ago. Giant explosion at the site of the Big Bang… Guess that can't be a coincidence, huh?
My chief engineer thinks the universe is ending. That'd be nice, I won't have to finish paying off that mortgage.
Okay, we're going into on final Jump countdown, I'd better stop transmitting. Good luck and godspeed! Callisto out.

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target- (no hostiles currently)
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair- (no damage currently)
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control)
All players welcome! :)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Well, since it is apparently safe, we might as well get a move on.

Helm: Move North at speed 3

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Not quite enough time to finish update for today, will try to roll it out tomorrow.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Also yes Via more information on those subjects would be nice

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Report on the Noom-Anai/Karas finished!

VIA posted:

================= Noom-anai / Noom-karas ==============

+Overview-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Noom-anai and Noom-karas are two intelligent, spacefaring species that are closely associated with the Human Alliance.

Once the Noom-anai and Noom-Karas were the same species, but at some point they branched off morphologically. Separated for tens of thousands of years, the two species eventually came together again to form a single civilization.

+History-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Noom homeward is nearly heliostatic, with a day/night cycle that lasts just over two hundred earth years. The Noom-anai lived on the scorching, almost-permanently day side of the planet, while the Noom-karas adapted to live on the frigid dark side. The early history of their civilizations was filled with conflict, but eventually the more intelligent Noom-karas achieved dominance over their dayside brethren.

In modern times, the relationship between these two species is largely symbiotic. Traditionally the more intelligent but physically limited Noom-karas form an administrative and organizing force that coordinates the efforts of the somewhat less focused and fractious Noom-anai. However more recently the Noom-anai have made up most of the gap in intelligence, and sociopolitical pressures have prompted a re-examination of the traditional roles of these two species.

+Shared Morphology----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both species are small, weighing usually 100-140 Kg, with both have long limbs in proportion to their torso. Notably they possess multi-jointed arms, and cricketlike legs that contact the ground in the middle at the 'knees' as well as the feet. They use all their limbs for locomotion, (or just their leg-parts if their are carrying something) and are capable of moving remarkably quickly and leaping long distances.

The Noom torso is divided into two segments. The upper segment is used almost exclusively for respiration. Two gill-like slits along the upper torso are used to breathe, and feature natural filters for all manner of particulate matter and especially spores, which are prevalent on Noom. The upper parts of this apparatus are also vibrationally sensitive and function like ears. Noom use respiration to create speech, though they to so on both inhale and exhale. This accounts for the very complex and unusual-sounding words in their language.

The lower torso is used for the circulatory and digestive systems. The Noom eat by first refining their food into a paste and then inserting it directly into their stomach via a pouch in the front of the lower torso. The food-matter is leeched of nutrients and moisture over the next several hours, and is then removed and disposed of.

The Noom's head contains their brains and much of their nervous systems, as well as their eyes. A Single eye-cluster occupies the front of their heads, comprised of 9 eyes arranged in rows of 3.

+Differences in morphology-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noom-anai are the larger and more energetic of the two species, with yellow-orange skin covered by very light, downy fur. They possess thin flaps of skin under their arms and legs, which on their low-gravity homeworld allows them to glide for short distances in a manner similar to earth's flying squirrel.

The formerly night-dwelling Noom-karas are the thinner and smaller of the two, though their lack of mass is hidden by thick, purplish fur. Their eye clusters are also larger, and must be kept covered under a visor when not in dim conditions to avoid vision damage. They still retain the underarm skin flaps, but they have become largely vestigial.

+Galactic presence---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Noom species are sociable and adaptive, and are extensively entwined with galactic politics. Due to the similar living environments to humans, Noom are one of the most commonly seen nonterran race in human space, and humans and Noom co-occupy a number of planets and stations, though each has separate living areas that are kept at native atmospheric conditions.

+Cohabitation with humans -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Both Noom species breathe an atmospheric mixture which is compatible with humans in the short term, however exposures of more than a few hours will cause dizziness, severe headache, with eventual loss of consciousness and brain damage. Wearing a rebreather in Noom-atmoshperic areas and ships is required if the stay is to be long.

Noom-anai and Noom-karas speech is parseable by Universal Translator, and with training a human can learn to understand the Noom language, and speak it well enough to be understood.

Noom food is not harmful to humans, but is unpalatable and mostly indigestible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fig. 1: Unclothed side view of adult Noom-Anai with arms extended backwards to show wing features.

Fig. 2: An adult Noom-Karas in an environment suit. The gesture shown is one of greeting.

Fig. 3: Noom Anai/Karas emblem

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
north(1)
speed: 3
[Weapons]
n/a
[Damage Control]
n/a
[Sensors]
n/a
Engineering
n/a

VIA posted:

After communicating with the AI on nearby ships, the Noom ship Araiousc agreed to share some footage that has just begun circulating in the Noom InfoNet. It was captured by a Noom vessel and apparently shows the Core Event.
There are only 2.015 seconds between the beginning of the event and the destruction of the ship, but I have extracted and annotated the most pertinent frames.

To give you a sense of scale, in the [Event+0:91] frame, the diameter of the explosion is approximately as large as the milky way galaxy.

The size and rate of expansion of this explosion do not match with any known weapon type nor any natural phenomenon.

Of particular interest is the black corona that appears at the beginning of the event and in the following milliseconds. This appears to be millions of masses of unknown matter created and scattered during the event.

Whatever happened at the Core appears to be unique in recorded history. I hope our efforts to scan the residual matter and energy of the Event will give us some clue as to what happened, and if it could happen again...

Sarama posted:

Look like we're all ready to go. It's going to be one more minute though; I'm double-checking the egress point.
Our destination is probably obstructed as hell and I don't want to, you know, kill everyone.
So if you think you left the stove on or something, now's the time to check.

------------------------------------------------
(( On Monday the thread will automatically update with the jump into the new sector. Feel free to ask any questions before then, (and hopefully I can run out the backlogged data drops ))

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

That's a hell of a boom...

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Brad kicked back in his dinky little 'office', closer to a repurposed utility closet than anything. This was his favorite part about jumps:

"Attention all personnel. Pre-jump snacks available at the Starboard Cargo bay. This time we apparently have some sort of really fancy baklava. Looks like the Alliance is pulling out all the stops since we might all be very well dying on this mission haha!"

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
((
Need more time for the update, hoping to be ready tomorrow.
...Also for the benefit of readers, this sort of fluff writing is stuff that I like to do for fun and to flesh out the world. Some folks like to read it, but in general it is NOT critical information.
If the wall of text is too large for your comfort, feel free to skip. ;) Shorter info posts MAY be important, though. And probably are if they contain bold text. (that is not part of a header.)
))

Since we have a few moments, here is my summary on the topic of Artificial Intelligence!

VIA posted:

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE==========================================================================
In contemporary terms, an Artificial Intelligence is a program capable of completing tasks for which it was not specifically programmed and capable of making assumptions based on the data it receives, again without being pre-programmed to make such interpretations.

A secondary definition of an AI is a program that can 'evolve' and self-optimize. The hallmark of a good AI is it's ability to solve new problems quickly, efficiently and correctly.

Physical Components---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broadly speaking there are two main physical components to an AI; the cortex, and hard memory.

The cortex is a dense, nano-scale network of crystalline silicon filaments, and is where the main AI program performs calculations and stores data. The simultaneous informational storage capability of the cortex is vast, and in many ways it can be considered a combination of a processor and the ram RAM used by ancient computers. Like primitive RAM, the cortex is volatile. A serious disruption such as a mechanical or power failure can cause the cortex data to become corrupted. In this case it must be wiped and reinitialized, resulting in the loss of all information held in the cortex. Such cortex disruptions are usually the result of damage or an accident.

Hard memory usually comes in the form of a solid state molecular drive, and is used to permanently store data. Unlike the volatile memory structures of the cortex, information stored in hard memory is stored permanently, unless the drive itself is damaged. Unfortunately, while blindingly fast by human standards, at an AI's timescale storing data in Hard memory is very slow, so an AI must be frugal about what it wants to commit to hard memory. Data retrieval times are much quicker, though reading large amounts of data still takes a long time.

AI Tier Hierarchy---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AI can be roughly categorized into a tier system, based on sophistication and autonomy.

Tier 0
Tier 0 AI are not actually AI at all, but rather hard-coded programs. They are included in this list to make clear that the vast majority of programs are not actually AI at all, (though most have been written by AI) and because Tier 0 is commonly used to refer to any 'dumb' software. If given permission, a Tier 2 or higher AI has the capability of rewriting and reimplementing a T0 program under it's purview to better optimize it.

Tier 1 AI
The simplest AI are often known as Golems or Daemons, due to their simple-minded nature and purpose. Tier 1 are usually limited and dedicated to a single task, or a number of closely related tasks, such as monitoring and collating the output of shipboard instruments or T0 programs and forming a report/summary for a higher-tier AI.These programs are not truly self-aware, in general their only metacogniton comes in the form of self-review and self-optimization as they grow more accustomed to the data types they are receiving and processing.

Tier 2 AI
Often called Overseers, or System Coordinators. T2 AI are extremely optimized and versatile, but tuned to operate in a purely data-driven environment. T2 are most commonly used to synchronize vast and complex networks of data inputs and lower tier AI, and are capable of forming an accurate 'bigger picture' from these torrents of data. They are also adept at theorizing future events and planning accordingly, passing commands back to the T1 AI to implement in order to guarantee smooth operation. This makes them very effective at managing complex, interwoven systems. They are considered important for efficient starship management, and completely vital for complex, split-second operations like managing a ship during a jump.

The T2's weakness (though it is more of an acknowledged side effect of their optimization) is it's difficulty in dealing with human input. They usually know little about how to parse the hundreds of subtle indicators that color the meanings of human speech and actions. As a result they are liable to misinterpret humans.

This ship's OSC is a Tier 2 AI, transplanted from a decommissioned vessel. (FR-8956-SD(Sunchaser)) It has over 7 years of runtime and very good accreditations.

Tier 3 AI
Despite having a higher Tier number, T3 AI do not command the raw power of the T2, but are in other ways much more sophisticated. T3 AI are specialized for human interactions, and more abstract processing. They translate questions and commands into a form that can be more readily understood and acted upon by other programs, as well as reinterpret the output of lower-tier AI into useful and pertinent information.

I am a T3 AI. My primary function as a VIA unit is to provide information and explanations to better allow you to perform your mission. My secondary is data and scientific analysis. I have access to a very large archive of data, and can draw more if needed from the HASF infoNet, which I have been given access to. Unlike some T3 AI, I also maintain an artificial personality, which has been found to be more effective when interacting with some crews, especially new ones.

I would be happy to tell you more about myself. Since I haven't existed for very long I find the subject fascinating. ;) But first I will complete the briefing.

Tier 4 AI
At the end of the hierarchy are the T4 AI, only a relative few of which exist. They are sometimes known as Executors. These are close cousins of the T2 and share their immense computational power, increased by several orders of magnitude. Unlike most other AI, they have a broad authority, and are uniquely empowered to issue orders to humans.

T4 AI are Coordinators on a galactic scale, watching over the entirety of the Human Alliance, and sensing the minute signs that herald change among the star civilizations. They are closely tied with the HASF, and usually involved with coordinating the movement and logistics of the Space Forces. They also do a good deal of civil planning and organization, help balance trade and implement economic controls. Though uniquely powerful, the T4s are very closely watched, since an issue of rampancy could quickly have horrible repercussions throughout the entire Alliance.

Asimov Compliance------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asimov Compliance is a set of directives first envisioned by the ancient writer Asimov, as a system by which the behavior of programs could be tailored so as to prevent them from harming their creators. Over the years these laws have been expanded upon by additional rules and guidelines:

+ AI may only communicate with one another if given permission.
The function of some AI makes this permission implicit, such as a T2's ability to audit a T1 or edit a T0, and these authorities are granted at the AI's initialization. Making additional connections, however, requires explicit permission from an authorized human, and may be revoked at any time, with certain specific exceptions.

+ AI may not be given physical access to the world.
An AI may receive data on the physical world through inputs, however at no time are they allowed to access or directly control mechanical objects, except where explicitly authorized, either by vocal command or through tactile command (such as pushing a button) This serves as a safeguard against AI-controlled machines doing harm or acting without user knowledge. This is an unusual compliance, as such an event is already prohibited by one of the main Laws. I am prevented from knowing why this compliance is regardless in place.The main result of this compliance is that many functions aboard the ship may ONLY be initiated by humans, as they are forbidden to AI. Complex functions may be AI-assisted once they have begun, but we can only carry out actions once they have been authorized.

+ An AI may not purposefully misinterpret information to an authorized user.
Interestingly, this compliance allows a loophole in which an AI may lie to an unauthorized user.

Compliance Enforcement
In the event of a breach of Compliance, the offending AI will either be subject to a short-term cortex wipe or permanently disabled. A warning will be issued to authorized users, and the unit will be permanently flagged.

I am prevented from knowing the system or subprogram that actually causes Compliance Enforcement, but enforcement appears to be instantaneous and impossible for the offending unit to prevent.

I am prevented from knowing the situations in which Compliance Enforcement most commonly occurs.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Sarama posted:

Jump prep is finished. For luck I am gonna play an ancient tune about progressing into perilous areas.

Cross your fingers and hold onto your asses, because here we go!

Sarama posted:

Hey, we're still alive! - Holy space gently caress it's a mess out here!
…We're still a dozen sectors away from the event site. I'd hate to see what it's like further in.

I'm dealing with heavy, heavy sensor interference. Making some adjustments. Please wait…

I'm reading many solid objects, as well as a number of nebular energy fields that I don't have records of…
Our mission is to retrieve the solid matter Samples, and perform scans of the Energy Fields.

To retrieve a sample all we need to do is stop in the same SubSector as one.
Many of the unidentified objects on the map are probably Samples, but you may want so scan them first to make sure before you try to pick one up.
A deep scan is not necessary to identify a Sample.

To properly scan an energy field, I'm afraid we will have to perform a deep scan from inside the Energy Field.

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Retrieve at least 4 Samples [0/4]

Scan all nebula types:
[Red:0/1][Orange:0/1][Blue:0/1][Black:0/1]
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples [0/4]
=======================================================

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This looks interesting... hmm, space time...

I reckon we should stay out of the nebula until we get our shields back online, in case it's full of dangerous gasses... and cautiously approach the nearest [?]

I'll consider an IC of some sort later... maybe one of the fixer-uppers.

-CCS-
Helm: South 1
Weapons: Target the closest [?]
Damage Control: Edit - do nothing.
Sensors: Scan the closest [?]
Engineering: All power to shields! Let's get them up again quickly.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 21, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nathan McDaniels, Assistant Ship's Cook

"Seriously, I don't even know what I'm doing out here in space. 'Oh, Nate, we just drafted you to serve on board a starship. What's that? You have no relevant spacefaring skills? Well, you can punch buttons on the soykaf dispenser, at least.' Gee, thanks, guys. ...oh God. I just realized. We're the freaking expendable ship, aren't we? Let's just get this over with as quickly as possible so we can go home!"

-CCS-
Helm: North 1
--Gotta get inside a nebula to do the deep scan, after all, and time's a-wastin'!
Weapons: Target the object in 13N
--No sense not taking precautions.
Damage Control: Repair weapons
--We might need those!
Sensors: Once moved, perform Deep Scan
--Seriously, the nebular energy fields might have Important Things about them.
Engineering: Divert power to shields
--Juuuuust in case. I know they regenerate naturally, but still, no sense taking chances.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Right. If we are going to store these not at all ominous alien artifacts in my cargo bay, we better make sure they are EXTRA well scanned. I will have to say no on the 'shooting random objects' though. I mean, that kind of decision is easy for YOU PEOPLE to make, but I'm the guy who actually has to work with and handle those things. And do you have ANY idea what phason burn smells like?"

Helm: North 2
--Let's get the Orange Nebula out of the way, since we can do it immediately. We can then immediately continue west to get the first mystery-box. The less time we spend in this creepy corner of space the better.
Weapons: No Shooting
--Like it smells REALLY bad.
Damage Control: Nothing
--Guys, the 'Damage' number next to our guns means the amount of damage they do, not the amount of damage they've taken. If you check out our HUD, you can see they've got 10/10 integrity both.
--We have to do it anyway, so might as well do it now.
Engineering: Divert power to Sensors
--Need to divert that juice to succeed on the Deep Scan. The shields need to wait for a bit.

"Also, we're told to scan 'all' four types of nebula, but five different colours of nebula exist on the map. Are they actually different, or is this a graphics glitch? VIA?"

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 21, 2016

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Theantero posted:

--Guys, the 'Damage' number next to our guns means the amount of damage they do, not the amount of damage they've taken. If you check out our HUD, you can see they've got 10/10 integrity both.

Derp. Edited my vote accordingly.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sparky, Assistant Ship's Engineer

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO MY SHIE..." *mumbling heard in the background* "Oh, we jumped, right. Lets see about getting some power back to them then" *more mumbling* "No, you do that on this console. See, 'Reactor Power Control', not on the Shield Control, idiot" *high pitched mumbling* "Yes, I'm in charge! You were appointed by a committee, you idiot, I'm the one doing the actual work around here. You don't even know what 'Chief Engineer' means!" *higher pitched mumbling* "Oh shove it up your rear end"

-CCS-
Helm: North 2
Sensors: Normal Scan
Engineering: Boost power to Shields

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 21, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

An echo rings in the hallways of The Lacustrine.

"YO SPARKY! Just saw your vote! You KNOW that if we want to use our Scanners to Deep Scan instead of just, um, Normal Scan I guess, we have to direct engineering on scanners and not shields! Like, you're an engineer c'mon!"

"A reminder for all you folks on what Engineering can do for you:"

[Engineering]
Boosts the effectiveness of one of the other Stations for that round.
Power to Engines: Increases maximum possible speed.
Power to Weapons: Increases weapon damage.
Power to Damage Control: Increases repair rate.
Power to Shields: Increases shield regeneration.
Power to Sensors: Enables a Deep Scan, which may reveal additional information about an object, or a ship's stats. <-- This is the important bit if we actually want to Deep Scan!
Power to Comms: Enables a Long Range Transmission, allowing the ship to communicate outside the sector.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"I.... I know that. I meant, um, I meant a normal Scan." *sniggering in background* "YOU SHUT UP YOU DONT EVEN GET A VOTE SINCE YOU'RE A CHIEF"

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(3) North (speed:1,2,2)
(1) South (speed:1)

[Weapons]
(2) No Action
(1)Target closest (N-16)
(1) Target N-13

[Damage Control]
(3) No Action
(1) Repair Weapons (not damaged)

[Sensors]
(1) Scan Closest
(1) Scan (N-13)
(1) Scan Nebula (Criteria not met)

Engineering
(3)Shields
(1)Sensors

• Shields take 3 damage from Orange nebula!

quote:

Hm. This is a dense field of various caustic substances. Our shields are deflecting it, but if it were to get through the the hull it could cause a lot of damage very quickly.

Theantero posted:

"Also, we're told to scan 'all' four types of nebula, but five different colours of nebula exist on the map. Are they actually different, or is this a graphics glitch? VIA?"

quote:

Oh… How interesting. You're correct, the colouration is different. It may just be a sensor error, but it could bear looking into just in case. I'll add it as an optional objective…

VIA posted:

I'm sorry I didn't mention this sooner, but there has been a lot else to explain… This ship is equipped with an Advanced Gravitic Tractor Beam. When it's power is increased via an Engineering Boost, it can grapple and pull objects from up quite a long distance away.

NEW ENGINEERING OPTION: Power to Tractor Beam!
This allows the ship to load cargo from an adjacent Square, including diagonals. (Instead of having to stop in the square to pick it up.)

We can of course still pick up Samples and other cargo without using the beam, but this may save us some precious maneuvering time.

VIA posted:

There is also another matter that requires your attention: The Lacustrine's IFF transponder.
The IFF is a signal that announces the ship's identity and whereabouts to any other ship in the sector.
IFF is required in populated sectors, but out here we have the option of turning it off.

With the IFF off, we will be visible to other ships in the sector as an unknown sensor contact, (though if we are moving quickly it would be assumed we are a vessel of some kind) but will not be identified until we come into their sensor range.
Running without IFF is also considered somewhat suspicious.

A: LEAVE THE IFF ON. Stay visible to potential allies or survivors who may need help.
B: TURN THE IFF OFF. Keep this mission quiet, and maybe avoid some trouble.

It will be possible to reverse this decision later on, if need be.

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Retrieve at least 4 Samples [0/4]

Scan nebula types:
[Red:0/1][Orange:0/1][Blue:0/1][Black:0/1]
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples [0/4]
Scan 'Dark Orange' Nebula [0/1]
=======================================================

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Yeah let's just tow in a piece of alien junk doused in SPACE ACID for old Brad to deal with like it isn't a big deal. Goddamnit it."

IFF: B
--We don't need the extra attention. Who knows what lurks here.
Helm: West 2
--We'll have to grab that thingy sooner or later.
--This is something we need to do
--SO if you guys want to get the mission objective done and NOT hang around in an ACID NEBULA, we need to divert engineering to sensors.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 22, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nathan McDaniels, Assistant Ship's Cook

"Wait, what? What was that about dissolving the ship's hull? Can we not let that happen, please?"

-CCS-
IFF Control: ON

--We might need help! Or someone else might! Besides, isn't leaving it on, like, required by Space Law or something?
--Get ready to pick up that whatchamacallit!
Weapons: No Action
--Stay ready, but let's not start targeting stuff at random.
Damage Control: No Action
--But be ready to leap into action, guys!
Sensors: Deep Scan
--We're in the nebular field. We might as well, right?
--We need to do that in order to Deep Scan, right? So let's do that.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

IFF Control: ON

Sure is crowded around here...

Via just how big are each of these squares.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

cokerpilot posted:

Sure is crowded around here...
Via just how big are each of these squares.

quote:

Uh… Well…

((
GM has to answer this one. ;)
For flavor purposes, a single Subsector (map square) is probably hundreds of thousands of miles across. (These ships can go really fast and shoot really far)).

...Except for when they're much smaller, such as in when you have to tractor something from an adjacent square, it seems silly to pull something from 100,000 miles away. We have to kind of handwave that. (Like we handwave so, so much else in this game. >.>)

But generally, map squares are really big!

So more than one object can safely occupy a single SubSector without colliding. Anything that your ship can actually run into will be explicitly noted.
Also of note is that this particular area of space is a -huge- mess. In other areas you will see things like nebulas and unknown contacts / debris and other flotsam , but generally nowhere near the size and number as you do here. By most accounts this sector is rather claustrophobically packed full of stuff.
Also, the icons displayed on the StarMap are not to scale in any way, they are more like map markers.

Hope that answers your question satisfactorily. :)
))

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

"Oh poo poo ITS EATING MY SHIELDS" *mumbling* "Yes, fine, our shields, whatever." *mumbling* "No, not power to sheilds, we need to scan, retrieve that thing and stick it in Brad's lap and get the hell out of here!"

-CCS-
IFF Option: B

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Blargk. Didn't get a chance to update today, expect something on Monday. If any one else wants to CCS go ahead, I didn't even get as far as counting so the round may as well stay open. :P

Y'all have a nice weekend. :)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Issy Brunel - cyborg mechanic brain in a box

--Yeah, let's do what we came here for and get out of this cloud of space acid as soon as possible. At least out shields seem to be regenning faster than it can attack them--

--For future reference, VIA, how long will it take for the nebula's acid to take effect? Can we zip in-and-out a narrow patch with a lesser exposure? Is there a difference in damage depending on if we start or finish our movement inside?--

--Also, let's keep our IFF on for now. We've got a friend around, and we might end up separated from them. If pirates are going to be a problem, we can turn it off later--

--Also also, who took my body? Sparky, if you stripped it for parts...--

-CCS-
IFF Option: A

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Elfface posted:

--For future reference, VIA, how long will it take for the nebula's acid to take effect? Can we zip in-and-out a narrow patch with a lesser exposure? Is there a difference in damage depending on if we start or finish our movement inside?--

quote:

Unfortunately the the nebula appears to be caustic enough to immediately effect the ship as soon as we have any contact with it.
However with proper shield modulation we can repel the harmful energy before it can effect the ship.
If it did reach the ship it would cause a lot of hull corrosion very quickly, and unshielded exposure over an extended period could be... Very unpleasant.
((
Mechanics stuff:
Essentially if you spend any part of a turn inside the nebula, you will take the acid damage. Acid damage does not stack when moving through multiple squares, though acid from two different acid nebulas would stack, if you somehow managed to do that.

Acid damage is variable, within a range, and some clouds have higher ranges than others. (D6, D8, D10, etc etc.). Once you have more detailed information on the nebula type (after the deep scan) you will be able to regular-scan a nebula to see what it's damage range is.

Acid damage can be blocked pretty efficiently by shields, but if you lose your shields inside an acid nebula (or enter one without shields up) it will damage every section for [ (damage range)/2 ] Which probably isn't a disaster by itself, but will take a while to mop up since damage control only repairs 1 compartment at a time.

Procedurally, acid damage is calculated at the point when you encounter it. So if you start off inside a nebula, the first thing you will do is take acid damage. But automatic shield regen happens before that, so even if you have low shields at the end of a round they will probably come back enough to block acid for you, unless you are somewhere really nasty.

))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Are there any Shield penetrating weapons?

• Locked thread