Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

my dad posted:

We can't deep scan a nebula without being inside. I had the same idea before. :v:

Can't deep scan a nebula sure, and normally unknown objects don't require deep scanning, but who knows what's going on here. Probably the nebula is sensor-jamming and giving more power to sensors can break through that, maybe the object itself is sensor-jamming and more power helps. Or maybe more power doesn't help, in which case we stay the hell away from unknown and unknowable forces.

There's another black nebula we can investigate if we cruise along the north of the sector, one that has plenty of subsectors without unknowable objects that could very well be bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

my dad posted:

We can pick up the sample on our way to the dark orange nebula. Let's see what the deal is with the black nebula, presumably sensory disruption.

[Helm]
South 1

[Sensors]
(try to) Deep scan F12

[Engineering]
Sensors

Comms
Rain|Hand, best of luck with your mission. We would highly appreciate if you could scan some of the nearby debris and share your findings with us.
I like your thinking, recruit.

Additional Comms to Rain|Hand: We're transmitting some information on a large piece of pockmarked debris we found. Perhaps you can make more sense of this than we did.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Woah woah woah WOAH. Yeah, NO WAY are we taking any unidentified crap into MY cargo bay! Let's nab this thing we came to take, and deep scan the bugger in the nebula. I'm risking my neck out here already, I'm not gambling on possible brain eating alien parasites or whatever that thing might have."

Helm: North 1
--It's more efficient movement-wise to take this now than to make a detour for it later.
Weapons: No Shooting
Damage Control: Nothing
Sensors: Deep Scan object at F12
--Come on now sapce rock. Tell us your secrets!
Engineering: Divert power to Sensors
--Maybe we can figure out this thing this way? I certainly hope the black nebula merely jams scanner and that thing is not something more sinister.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
(Oh nice. I was told earlier today about a new Gravedust forum game. Happy to see getting in relatively ground floor-ish... I'm only a month late from the first post...)

Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer

"So... on the off chance of Jinxing the mission.... anyone got any thoughts on what's happened? My money's on some form of Alien from an antimatter universe jumping into this one from theirs. Either exploration or Invasion. A mini Big Bang here and the Core is suddenly a death trap."

[Helm] North 1

[Weapons] No Target

[Damage control] Stay Frosty

[Sensors] Object at F12

[Engineering] Full Power to Sensors

[Comms] Open traffic

[VIA] Just in case this is some type of invasion situation, those samples we've collected, could they be some type of hyper dense armor? On the off chance we need it, can we Jury Rig the Jump system into some kind of weapon, like some Ultra powerful rail gun?

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
(( Hey hey! Good to see ya!))

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

Just in case this is some type of invasion situation, those samples we've collected, could they be some type of hyper dense armor?

On the off chance we need it, can we Jury Rig the Jump system into some kind of weapon, like some Ultra powerful rail gun?

quote:

I am very curious about the Samples, myself, however with just the equipment on board Lacustrine, there is little I can tell about it.
Once we have returned to our home sector, a ship with more advanced analytical equipment should be waiting for us.

----

...The idea of creating 'jump munitions' has been attempted multiple times, actually. Unfortunately, an effective implementation has yet to be found.

By the time a Jumping object achieves hypervelocity, it is also partially out out phase with 'normal' space, and tends to suffer a disproportionate amount of damage as a result of any impacts. Ships or other hyperaccellerated objects are torn apart 'like tissue paper' when they collide with an object fully grounded in normal space, leaving the other object relatively unharmed.

…There is also the matter that this ship is not equipped with a Jump Drive.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"Seconding Brad's concern. I don't think we should run the risk of pulling something aboard that we haven't been able to identify or scan properly. I don't think he'd appreciate being jumped by headhumpers and I don't want to have to go down there once they've killed the ship's power with a flashlight and an underpowered handgun to kill it."

[Helm] North 1

[Weapons] No Target

[Damage control] Standby

[Sensors] Object at F12

[Engineering] Full Power to Sensors. Divert Auxiliary to Sensors too if at all possible.

[Comms] "Twice the sensors, half the time. I suggest we coordinate with the Rain|Hand and share scan results. Everything tells me they're friendlies."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(4) North(1,1,1,1)
(2) South(1,1)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(6)F-12
Engineering
(6)Sensors
---------------------------------------------

Comms posted:

- Rain|Hand, best of luck with your mission. We would highly appreciate if you could scan some of the nearby debris and share your findings with us.
- We're transmitting some information on a large piece of pockmarked debris we found. Perhaps you can make more sense of this than we did.

Rain|Hand posted:

[Yes][I/We will:][Listen][&][Share][<END>]

quote:

Still no successful sensor reading, even under full power. I don't think there's a fault in the sensors, it must be either interference from the nebula itself, or the object within it.

Also, Rain|Hand, has begun sending us a feed of their sensor scans. Should we reciprocate?

A: No. Let's keep our intel to ourselves.
B: Yes, it's only fair.
C: Yes, AND send them the detailed info on the Sample we picked up.
D: ??? (Write in)

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Retrieve at least 4 Samples [3/4]

Scan nebula types:
[Orange:1/1](Hazardous)
[Blue:1/1](Inhibits movement)
[Red:0/1]
[Black:0/1]
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples [0/4]
Scan 'Dark Orange' Nebula [0/1]
=======================================================

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
======================================
All players welcome! :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
C - We're all friends here in the danger zone.

OK, if we're staying out of the black nebula for now, let's explore the dark orange one since it's right there.

[Helm]
West(2)
[Sensors]
D3
[Engineering]
Sensors
[Comms]
<Sarama> Would you kindly scan C12?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Plan my dad, set to Kenny Loggins.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C, share scans and sample data. I expect they're about to reciprocate with a sample of their own.

[Helm]
South 2
[Weapons]
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Deep Scan F12 after moving
[Engineering]
Boost Sensors

The gray nebula still looks like a harmless sensor jammer, and we need to investigate one eventually so we might as well do it now. I'm also curious whether the jamming is pervasive throughout the nebula or just a boundary effect.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

D: Reciprocate data tit for tat. For everything they send us we haven't seen, we send them back something they haven't shown us yet. Fill dead air with redundant information, but don't be obvious about it.
They seem friendly but they're not humans, and showing our hand too soon could jeopardize our mission. In case you've forgotten:

quote:

This event could spell disaster or opportunity for the Human Alliance, or for the galaxy at large.
To preserve our place in the stars, we must know which, and we must know first. The importance of your task cannot be overstated.
We can take whatever help they offer us, and let's do what we need to to keep them on friendly terms, but we don't need to volunteer everything.

If we head north and then cut west, we can gently caress off out of the dark orange nebula (which is probably super-acid, ugh) immediately and hit the red nebula in three moves. Then we can hit the black nebula a healthy distance from any unknown objects, and there's a long string of unknown objects we can investigate along the way.

Helm: North 4
Sensors: D-3
Engineering: Power to engines

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

my dad posted:

C - We're all friends here in the danger zone.

OK, if we're staying out of the black nebula for now, let's explore the dark orange one since it's right there.

[Helm]
West(2)
[Sensors]
D3
[Engineering]
Sensors
[Comms]
<Sarama> Would you kindly scan C12?

This.

Yay, Gravedust is running a game again!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"Did I ever tell you guys about Jack? He was my pal. Past tense, because they did not bother scanning on a routine salvage mission. Turns out that the ship they were collecting was using an illegal anti-matter particle booster for their meson cannon. Do you know what happens when you pick up an anti-matter device with a containment breach and don't take the necessary precautions? Past. Tense."

Helm: West 2
--I suppose we can do this whole thing as a counter-clockwise loop instead of a clockwise one.
Sensors: Deep Scan object Nebula
--Bonus objectives!
--I sure hope it's not just a killier version of the slightly less orange nebula.
Data Sharing: B
--Sure, let's give the scintillans our scan data. Why not?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Abyssal Squid posted:

We can take whatever help they offer us, and let's do what we need to to keep them on friendly terms, but we don't need to volunteer everything.

I see no reason to be 100% obedient to someone who drafted us and sent us to a death zone. :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

my dad posted:

I see no reason to be 100% obedient to someone who drafted us and sent us to a death zone. :v:

Ugh, do I have to explain myself again? It wasn't a draft, they were student debt relief and I bought into it like a sucker and now I'm on the hook for two more years. But this isn't about me, this is about the fact that if we screw this up the whole galaxy might become a death zone. Not much point getting out of here alive if it only takes us somewhere worse!

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Gravedust posted:

(( Hey hey! Good to see ya!))
(Good to be here)

VIA posted:

...Ships or other hyperaccellerated objects are torn apart 'like tissue paper' when they collide with an object fully grounded in normal space, leaving the other object relatively unharmed.

"So, if we absolutely, positively hafta kill something trying to jump away from us, just sit in front of them. Good to know."

[Helm] West 2
[Weapons] No Target
[Damage Control] Get ready, in case of super acid nebula
[Sensors] Nebula
[Comms] Open traffic

[VIA] Option C. If they get samples, those are samples we can no longer get. So a scan is better than nothing. It's only fair to reciprocate.

Edit

[VIA] Also, how good are our passive sensors? Like say, if something spoofed the IFF of one ship with a different ship, could they tell the difference? Or would we need to deep scan?

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 5, 2016

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Is there any way we can send them a virus?
Not saying we should... just curious about EW. Could we turn off life support or activate hypothetical security turrets to gun down the personnel; and how hard would it be if possible?

Anyway, share the data, be nice.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 5, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"So, if we absolutely, positively hafta kill something trying to jump away from us, just sit in front of them. Good to know."

quote:

Actually, yes. That's more or less the accepted way to attempt to stop a ship from jumping away, aside from simply shooting at it.

In most cases however it will only delay them a few moments, as they can usually alter course to a direction that does not intersect your ship, and then jump.

Also, how good are our passive sensors? Like say, if something spoofed the IFF of one ship with a different ship, could they tell the difference? Or would we need to deep scan?

quote:

Ships can indeed broadcast a false IFF signature to misrepresent the identity and class of their vessel. Such an act is against galactic common law, but is a frequent tactic of pirates and occasionally vessels of war.
A regular scan would be sufficient to reveal a ship for what it truly is, once it is in range of Active scanners. ((I.E, you'd need to scan it directly via CCS))
For military and some corporate vessels there is also IFF Authentication as an added layer of protection, so an impersonation of an HASF ship is less likely to succeed.

RA Rx posted:

Is there any way we can send them a virus?
Not saying we should... just curious about EW. Could we turn off life support or activate hypothetical security turrets to gun down the personnel; and how hard would it be if possible?

quote:

It would be very difficult under ideal conditions, and is essentially impossible with our current data connection.
AI are very good at sniffing out malicious code, and I am not familiar with Scintillan system architecture.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
note to self edit this to a vote when you are back home.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

^^^^^
Must be stuck in traffic.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(6)West(speed 2,2,2,2,2,2)
(1)South(2)
(1)North(4)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(4)D-3
(2)Nebula
(1)F-12
Engineering
(6) sensors
(1) Engines
Data sharing:
(4) C
(2) B
(1) D - Reciprocal trade
--------------

((I wasn't quite sure what to do about the scan orders this round… There were lots of orders for deep scans which I assume were for the purpose of getting info on the nebula, but they were all targeted at an object that was pretty far away… So in the end I decided to just have you scan the object REALLY WELL.

If you want to figure out a nebula's properties you have to deep scan the area where you are, and be in a nebula.

This can be achieved by just giving "nebula" as your scan target, and making sure you CCS Engineering power to Sensors.
And as long as you are in the nebula for part of your turn that'll do the trick.

Sorry for any confusion, I did not describe it very well. :/ ))

quote:

I have begun sending our scan data and sample data to Rain|Hand. We'll have to see what we get back in return.

Also… Our long range passive sensors have just picked up a number of new contacts along the southern edge of the Sector. I have little information at the moment, but they appear to be moving.

Retrieve at least 4 Samples [3/4]

Scan nebula types:
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Scan 'Dark Orange' Nebula [0/1]

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Let's just get this over with since I do not fancy bumming around and waiting for this sector to turn into an intergalactic party zone. A counter-clockwise sweep to gather the samples and scan the black nebula. Let's just not forget to Deep Scan the orange nebula before we leave it. "

Helm: South 3
--This thing is in range so let's nab it.
Sensors: Deep Scan Nebula
--Bonus objectives!!!!! let's not screw this up this time around! Scan before moving!
--Let's see what this orange nebula does.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

After a deep breath Mick sets to work. "Got them on long range, Via. Thanks for that. Based on their approach, do they appear to be following debris or meteorite trajectories, or are they showing signs of propulsion?"

"Party zone seems to be about right, based on what I'm seeing up here Brad. Multiple new blips registering. I count eight so far. Could be debris, could be trouble. This early on I can't tell. No need to upgrade to Coqueliot or Cerise Alert yet, not until I can see more."

[Helm] See Sensor order, then move South 3.

[Weapons] Not right now.

[Damage control] Nothing.

[Sensors] Deep Scan dark orange nebula.

[Engineering] Power to Sensors.

[Comms]
"Sarama, Rain|Hand, This is Lacustrine Tactical. Multiple inbound sensor hits from 180 absolute, eight counted at present."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, time to start planning our actions based on the assumptions that the incoming signals are hostile.

I think we should pick up the sample South of us (+1 turn), double time it North to pick up the other (+2 turns with 1 rush and 1 tractoring), Head east with Sarama to scan the red nebula(+~4 turns), and prepare to get the hell outta dodge(meaning Sarama should probably start charging at a certain point before that). Any better ideas?

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

^^^^^
(Sounds like a plan)

"How in the nine hells did we go into the nebula to scan the nebula.... and then not scan the nebula? Blehhhhh. And now 8 unknown incoming blips. What, are Space Pirates after our Phazon?
Hey! One of you engineers in the command channel. I know one of you've got a still set up somewhere already. I got a feeling I'll need something stiff before this is all said and done with.
*sigh* Alight then, order of operations time...."

In Order:
[Comms] Open traffic
[Sensors] Nebula
[Weapons] Gitcher thumbs out of it, we got incoming, potentially hostile.
[Damage Control] Keep Alert
[Helm] South 3

[VIA] For the purposes of this map, North is Coreward and South is Homeward? Or Edgeward, even? That means those incoming blips are coming not from whatever remains of the Core, but generally back the way we came from? And I doubt it'll ever become relevant, but which way is Spinward? (Everyone knows the galaxy spins) East or West? How is the Map layout determined?

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 7, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[VIA] For the purposes of this map, North is Coreward and South is Homeward? Or Edgeward, even? That means those incoming blips are coming not from whatever remains of the Core, but generally back the way we came from? And I doubt it'll ever become relevant, but which way is Spinward? (Everyone knows the galaxy spins) East or West? How is the Map layout determined?

quote:

Different species use different systems, but the Human Alliance's standard navigational scheme places the Core as the Centerpoint of our coordinate system. (Hence why is is known as Sector 0, or more accurately Sector[0,0,0,] ).

From our StarMap's perspective the Core is to the North-West of our current position (Sector[12,-14,0]*), So the ships to our South did not originate from the Core, most likely.

((*I sometimes include a z-axis in fluff because it amuses me, but functionally the 3rd dimension of space doesn't play a part in this game because it is a pain in the rear end. ))

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

No argument here:

Theantero posted:

--Bonus objectives!!!!! let's not screw this up this time around! Scan before moving!

If these things are hostile we're outnumbered nine to two, and we'll need to split. After we pick up this sample we need to figure out what the deal is with the black nebula, and if it's sensor jamming like some people keep insisting, that should mask the Sarama's jump drive heating up. But we have to deep scan the nebula before we can risk sending the Sarama in there, and the only part in range is the area around F-12.

What I'm saying is we need to blast that drat mystery thing to smithereens the second we get within range.

I REALLY want to call the Sarama "Samara."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh right, I keep forgetting that we wasted our time in the black nebula and didn't scan it. :v: There's one to the East, so we'll probably be able to do it from there.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

Woah there! I thought I set my cyropod to 30 minutes, not 30 days! Woops \_:v:_/ ahaha oh well I mean what could I possibly have missed am I right?

The big bang happened again?

:geno:

What.

Uhm.

Well uh, good thing we are out examining it already! Well done team! Let me just take a moment to get up to spec as it where, haha!

---

Oh man! Look at that carbon!? Super dense and everything, wow! I wonder how it stands up to Phason bombarment! Yeah! haha! We have a spare in the hold anyway right? What could possibly go wrong!

Oh and hey, Via! Via! Hello yes, can we get samples of the nebula as well? I'd love a bottle of super acid for ~experiments~ !

====================STARSHIP CONTROL====================
[Helm]
South - 3
[Weapons]
C12 - Sample
[Damage Control]
Hey Via, could you check the cyropods please? I was so sure I set the timer right...
[Sensors]
Deep Scan C12 as we engage it; I want high-res VR of the impact!
[Engineering]
All Power to Sensors - I said High res!!
[Comms]
"Hey Sarama, watch out for the Science!!"
=========================================================

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer
[Weapons]
C12 - Sample

"I- Wha- IVANA!"

"You are doing this on purpose. Aren't you?"

Theantero posted:

"Right. If we are going to store these not at all ominous alien artifacts in my cargo bay, we better make sure they are EXTRA well scanned. I will have to say no on the 'shooting random objects' though. I mean, that kind of decision is easy for YOU PEOPLE to make, but I'm the guy who actually has to work with and handle those things. And do you have ANY idea what phason burn smells like?"

"Well, if that's how you want to play, then that's fine."

"But don't come crying to me if whatever terribly unsafe and possibly illegal crap you want smuggled onboard mysteriously finds itself on some other ship entirely. Those dockers you know? They can be so terribly sloppy sometimes..."

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Theantero posted:

This

Next turn we can move into and scan the black nebula: using it to hide the warming of the jump drives is a good idea if our theories about its properties are true. Don't think we'll have time to scan the Red nebula if the contacts are hostile, but 4 nebulas scanned and four samples taken should be enough.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sparky, Assistant Ship's Engineer

"Oh crap, Ivana's awake? I thought I had changed the timer long enough to... uh nevermind. Yeah, lets not shoot that thing, Ivana. I like Brad's idea too."

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman posted:

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Theantero posted:

Brad has the right idea again. Then it's a race to get to a red nebula and jump before the unknowns catch up. It'll be like my old days on the slingshotting scene before academy, whenever we had to outrun system patrol.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Theantero posted:

"I- Wha- IVANA!"

"You are doing this on purpose. Aren't you?"

"Well, if that's how you want to play, then that's fine."

"But don't come crying to me if whatever terribly unsafe and possibly illegal crap you want smuggled onboard mysteriously finds itself on some other ship entirely. Those dockers you know? They can be so terribly sloppy sometimes..."

"The wrath of the stevedores is not something I'd want brought down on me when I relied on them for making sure I got the supplies for my latest ethics-optional science project but I'm just a JuTacOf who doesn't even have the second leaf yet so what do I know?"

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

"The wrath of the stevedores is not something I'd want brought down on me when I relied on them for making sure I got the supplies for my latest ethics-optional science project but I'm just a JuTacOf who doesn't even have the second leaf yet so what do I know?"

"Indeed. Though such a thing as, for example, creating and running a still is against regulations, such a thing can have positive influence on morale, especially on extended missions as this might prove to be. Crew need their things to blow off steam, and if they are suddenly cut off... Well, it's rarely a pretty sight. So never a good idea to cross a quartermaster in their domain."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(8)South(3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3)

[Weapons]
(7)Hold Fire
(1)C-12
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(7) Nebula
(1) C-12
Engineering
(8) Sensors

quote:

The scan results from the dark orange nebula are fascinating! I'm seeing some very exotic isotopes and honestly a lot of things I can't explain, but it seems like the potential energy contained within that cloud is immense.

I hate to ask since I know time is of the essence, but if you could obtain a sample of Dark Orange Nebula, please do so. It would use up a slot in our cargo bay, but I think it would be worth it. I will add it as a bonus objective.

Comms posted:

-"Hey Sarama, watch out for the Science!!"

quote:

Lacustrine is this the kind of science that has a minimum safe distance? If so, wait till we get outside it!

-"Sarama, Rain|Hand, This is Lacustrine Tactical. Multiple inbound sensor hits from 180 absolute, eight counted at present."

Rain|Hand posted:

[it/they is/are:][seen][<END>]
[i/we will:][Scan][<END>]
[it/they is/are:][species:][Qura'xxo][<END>]

Qura'xxo Podship(s) posted:

>
ATTENTION TRESPASSERS>>
I, THE 2,246 CLADES OF THE MENTITY YOU KNOW AS GAR'XX'T'UUR>>
DEMAND TO KNOW >>> WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO MY HOME>>>>>
EXPLANATIONS NOT MADE TO MY SATISFACTION WILL RESULT IN THE INSTANTANEOUS & HIDEOUS ANNIHILATION>>
OF YOUR ENTIRE>PATHETIC>FLEET

I AWAIT YOUR IMMINENT REPLY><

Sarama posted:

Just so you know, it'll take me ((3 full rounds)) to charge up my jump drive if we want to get out of here. I can start whenever you want but once I start I won't be able to use my Engineering Boost on anything else until we jump, or I'll have to start all over from scratch. Also it'll be obvious to anyone in the sector that I'm charging up. I'll leave it up to you to decide when to juice up my drive.

New Option - Sarama Drive Charge (Yes or Not Yet.) Requires at least 3 'Yes' votes to pass.
This option will remain open for the rest of the mission. Jump Drive can also be cancelled via a vote also.

Retrieve at least 4 Samples [4/4] COMPLETE!

Scan nebula types:
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Scan 'Dark Orange' Nebula [1/1] COMPLETE!
Obtain a 'Dark Orange' Nebula Sample[0/1]

Sarama - Start Charging Jump Drive? (Yes or No)

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

VIA posted:

Here it my information on the Qura'xxo… It was suspected they might be active in this sector.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qura'xxo (koora-kzo)

Overview
The Qura'xxo are unusual 'multiplex' creatures, in this case meaning that one consciousness (called a Mental Entity or Mentity) exists as a mental 'network' generated between multiple bodies. The relationship of a Mentity to it's individual members is like neurons inside a brain. The bodies are not -controlled- by the Mentity, they -create- the Mentity. This is a difficult concept for humans to fully understand, but it is perhaps best to imagine a single creature that happens to have many bodies.

Qura'xxo Mentities can extend to many thousands of bodies (called Clades). Clades can only maintain their mental 'link' at distances of under around 1.13 nautical miles naturally, though this range limit has been technologically extended to around 110,000 miles on an individual basis. If an individual Qura'xxo Clade is separated by more than this distance, it will cease to be part of the Mentity and will essentially lose it's upper cognitive functions. While Qura'xxo tend to favor a 'cloud' structure, with most Clades in connection with several other Clades, Clade structure can also be 'filamented' into lines. It is speculated that if such a 'filament' is split, if enough Clades on either side of the separation are present to sustain a mental network, the result could be that the Mentity itself will split into two separate, individual ones.

Biology
Physically, each Qura'xxo Clade is covered in turtle-like shell plates which form a natural armor, the hardness and durability of which is enhanced via chemical treatments and alloy implants, making them effective against up to Class-2 personal weapons. Clade shells are artificially lacquered in bright colors and patterns that appear to represent their Mentity.

Clades have four legs, four arms and three small but sophisticated eyes which can perceive into the infrared spectrum. Their hearing is somewhat rudimentary and they do not ordinarily vocalize. A long, bifurcated spinal column runs through their core and houses an organ that is believed to allow their mental communication. Surgically implanted receiver/transmitters amplify the function of this organ.

It appears that Qura'xxon Mentities cannot connect mentally to one another, so they communicate using a form of sign language, which can be parsed by Universal Translator. They breathe a gaseous mixture which is incompatible with human respiration. The life-cycle of the average Clade is around 10 years, and Clades appear to have the ability to birth a near-perfect clone of themselves approximately every 3 years, after a 5-month gestation period, apparently at will. It is assumed that genetic diversity is achieved though artificial engineering.

Politics & Galactic Presence
The Qura'xxo have proved difficult research subjects, as they are highly aggressive inside their territories, which they constantly seek to expand. Little is known of their culture or motivations, except that they considerer non-multiplex, 'fragmented' species inferior, and they are driven to constantly expand their territorial claims. They do not often trade with other races and seldom ally with them. This distaste for other species seems to extend even to other Mentities, to the extent that which they are usually at war with one or more rivals. If an Qura'xxo attempt at expansion is met with sufficient resistance, they can customarily be pressured into a 'peace treaty' which in general they will abide by.

It is advised to treat the Qura'xxo with caution and wariness in all circumstances, however.

Ship Design
In space, a Qura'xxo Mentity will distribute it's Clades in a cluster of several small ships that travel together within their maximum connection distance, which is extended greatly by powerful shipboard transmitters. (Exact range unknown, though it is assumed to be sector-wide, or nearly so.) Qura'xxo ships are rather crude and fragile by most standards, (Notably due to their single-hull, bulkhead-less design, which means a breach anywhere will sometimes depressurize the entire ship. Additionally there is a marked lack of system redundancy.) but the mentality of the Qura'xxo appears to be that the loss of Clades is acceptable if not expected, and that for spaceborne purposes, quantity is more important than quality.

Most notably, Qura'xxo ships DO NOT employ shields. It is theorized that the shield frequencies interfere with their mental connectivity somehow. However despite significant efforts to find a way to exploit this weakness, (as well as jam their regular comms) no implementation has proven to be effective.

Additonally, the Qura'xxo can only make Jumps with the aid of large Jumpcarriers, which load and Jump their smaller ships all at once, presumably so they can maintain contact through the comms-disrupting properties of phase-space.

Fig 1. A Qura'xxo Clade, with weapon.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Don't warm up the jump drive (yet)

[Engineering]
Engines
[Engines]
C16

[Comms]
<GAR'XX'T'UUR> We've only just arrived, on a mission from the Human Alliance to discover what the hell happened here. We would like to formally ask for your protection. Whoever did this might still be around, and we'd feel a lot safer if we could count on you .

//
Diplomatic counteroffensive. :v: Most likely, we've just hit the mission timer, but I'd like to give diplomacy a chance for at least one turn. Trying to run away as soon as those guys show up is the sign of a burglar.
We can get both the southern sample and the nebula piece if we boost engines on this turn and the next. From there, we should be able to either jump out or to rapidly head east to scan red and black nebulas.

e: ^^^ Oh, interesting.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 11, 2016

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Huh. So if these.. this... these... If the Qura'xoo use jump ships to jump.... where is their jump ship?

Aaaanyways, I think we should grab the sample due south of us, then back north, grab dark orange sample and go around clockwise from there."

[Helm] South 4
[Weapons] No Target
[Damage Control] Nothing yet
[Sensors] B14
[Engineering] Power to Engines
[Comms]Open traffic
-<GAR'XX'TUUR> There has been a Major incident at the Core which we are investigating. This sector was the closest safe distance we could get to to investigate. As you can no doubt tell, the damage has been extensive, debris reaching all the way here. We are gathering samples of the debris and will be returning to our sector shortly once we are done. If this is your home sector, is there anything we can do to provide assistance while we are here?

[Sarama] No Charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If it comes to a fight, luring them into the corrosive nebula would be a good way to kick their rear end.

• Locked thread