Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?

Hexenritter posted:

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"You feeling better now Jack? Deck stopped swaying? We need your hBLUURRGHH--just kidding. Keep us encrypted from hereon out."

Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer

"Hah, yeah, feeling alot better. Just, eh, had to clear the pipes. So to speak. I don't want to think any further on it as the, eh, "medicine" I just took should be burning out whatever's left. And will do, on the encryption."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[VIA] Without yet knowing what command is going to advise us, what are the potential ramifications of helping out the Scintillans? We're not going to cause some intergalactic war on to of this Core ordeal, would we? What would our chances in a firefight be? If just these ships, I think we can take them, easy, but I think it's likely the Mentity would send in more ships."

quote:

Well, we would definitely cease to be on friendly terms with Gar'xx'tuur, and an aggressive action on our part is very likely to cause cancellation of the ceasefire that is currently in effect in this and neighboring sectors. However I doubt it would cause a wide-scale conflict between the Qura'xxo as a whole and the Human Alliance.

I do agree with yours and other assessments that the Mentity we are currently dealing with most likely has more ships than we are currently seeing, as well as possibly a carrier vessel nearby, probably to the 'south' of this Sector.

Hexenritter posted:

Hey VIA, what's the average podship complement of a Qurwhatever carrier?

quote:

My records indicate that an average Qurwhatever carrier does not exist! Ha ha ha!!

This was my first ever attempt at a joke!

I hope I have succeeded!

*ahem*

...Ah, actually, according to my records the average podship count is highly variable. It has been known to be as low as 1 dozen, or as high as one hundred and fifty six, in the largest case on record.

I am hard pressed to come up with a confident guess, but there is a 87.34% probability the count is lower than three dozen.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

Hoh yes! So Happy people here are to be enjoying enhanced icecream :D

And now, with sample of nebula in bay in Science Hands and machine field tested, Is successful experiment for Ivana to transmit to Planet! Hoorj!

====================STARSHIP CONTROL====================
[Helm] - 3 East
[Weapons] - Sad weapons no is fire :(
[Damage Control] - How is complete scan going?
[Sensors] - Q04
[Engineering] - Power to Comms!
[Sarama] - Now is good time for you to be starting the spool!
[Comms] - Encrypted Pulse to Totally Legitimate Science Institution - Icecream Experiment Success!! See attached file!

=========================================================

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Gravedust posted:

[Via stuff re: Qura'xxo]

"VIA, based on our armament and defensive technology alone, could you extrapolate probability of our surviving an engagement with up to 36 podships? Relatedly, can you plot the probability of us surviving that number, plus a Qura'xxo carrier? Also relatedly, do we have sensor probes we can shoot in the general direction we assume their carrier to be?"

Mick's eyes never leave his station, but he hits the comm again. "Brad, could you send me up a shot of that... whatevershine you've been brewing? I get the feeling I might need just the one."

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

And now, with sample of nebula in bay in Science Hands and machine field tested, Is successful experiment for Ivana to transmit to Planet! Hoorj!

"No! Bad Science Mook, bad!
No experimenting on the crew! I will pipe 'My Little Pony' or something to each of your monitors on a loop, so help me I will!"

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Hexenritter posted:

"VIA, based on our armament and defensive technology alone, could you extrapolate probability of our surviving an engagement with up to 36 podships? Relatedly, can you plot the probability of us surviving that number, plus a Qura'xxo carrier? Also relatedly, do we have sensor probes we can shoot in the general direction we assume their carrier to be?"

quote:

Lacustrine is capable of carrying probes, however for this mission our modular bays have all been configured for carrying secure cargo.

As for the results for a battle with the Qura'xxo ships, much depends on how the battle would take place. Were we to face all 36 ships at once in a direct fight we would inevitably lose. The key to victory would be to fight intelligently, using our superior speed to stay beyond the reach of the enemy as much as possible, while focusing individual targets as best we can.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[Comms] Await reply and decrypt response. Encrypt all further communications to Sarama. Suggest same with Scintillans, except unknown if they possess compatible encryption keys.
[Weapons] No target... but wouldn't hurt to be ready.
[Damage Control] Status on the ice cream machine. It's not running amok, is it?
[Engineering] Power to Engines.
[Sensors] Q08
[Helm] East Full Speed Ahead

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman

"Sounds good. Keep making good decisions so that I won't have to bother."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(4)East(6,6,3,6)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(2) Ice Cream hyperdispensor
[Sensors]
(3)Q-8
(1)Q-4
Engineering
(2)Engines
(1)Comms
---------------------------------------------
(2)Sarama Jump (Needs 3)

Encrypted Pulse Comms posted:

Recovery of material/data paramount
Engage if attacked
Escape/evade preferable
Support not available

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Retrieve at least 4 Samples [4/4] COMPLETE!

Scan nebula types:
[Orange:1/1](Hazardous)
[Blue:1/1](Inhibits movement)
[Black:1/1](Inhibits scanning)
[Red:0/1]
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples and objects of interest [2/4]
Scan 'Dark Orange' Nebula [1/1] COMPLETE!
Obtain a 'Dark Orange' Nebula Sample[1/1] COMPLETE!

=======================================================

Sarama - Start Charging Jump Drive? (Yes or No)

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
======================================
All players welcome! :)

Gravedust fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 20, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
VIA, do we have any means of communicating with Rain|Hand without being detected by Thugsworth McNimby's ships? I know we can encrypt, but is there any way to conceal the signal itself? Maybe sending the message while we (regularly) scan Rain|Hand?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guys: We can be done with our objectives in 3 turns: we need to start getting ready to jump NOW.

Helm: East 5
Weapons: Nope
Damage Control: Nothing to do
Sensors: Scan red nebula (once we've arrived)
Boost: Engines to max!
Sarama Jump: Yes

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

my dad posted:

VIA, do we have any means of communicating with Rain|Hand without being detected by Thugsworth McNimby's ships? I know we can encrypt, but is there any way to conceal the signal itself? Maybe sending the message while we (regularly) scan Rain|Hand?

quote:

Hm. That poses a difficult problem. I would ordinarily recommend LaserComms, but the nebulas between our ship and theirs would likely diffuse the beam too much. If we could get clear space between us, that may be a viable option.
We already have a datastream established with Rain|Hand to share sensor information, however, so in a sense we are constantly communicating with them. The Qura'xxo Mentity probably already knows this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK. Hm...

nothing to seehere posted:

Guys: We can be done with our objectives in 3 turns: we need to start getting ready to jump NOW.

Helm: East 5
Weapons: Nope
Damage Control: Nothing to do
Sensors: Scan red nebula (once we've arrived)
Boost: Engines to max!
Sarama Jump: Yes

We can't both deep scan and boost in the same turn, if I recall the rules right. (I'm bad at recalling the rules right)

[Helm] East 3 (N06)
[Engineering] Tractor beam - O06
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] Run weapons diagnostics, just in case
[Sensors] T02

Sarama: Jump

[Comms]
<within the data stream to Rain|Hand> LEAVING; ATTACK IMMINENT; RUN; STAY SAFE
(feel free to ignore the message if you don't want to allow this)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

my dad posted:

We can't both deep scan and boost in the same turn, if I recall the rules right. (I'm bad at recalling the rules right)

Yep, both of those require an Engineering boost.

quote:

[Comms]
That should be fine. :)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"Okay, yeah, we can make it out with all bonuses before these hiver schmucks can even reach us. I can smell the Bonuses we're getting all the way from here."

[Helm] East 3 (N6)
-If we go here, then move a bit North to scan the Nebula, then move to N3 to grab the final sample, we can be out of here in JUST as the Sarama has charged.
[Engineering] Tractor beam - O6
-Let's nab our penultimate prize
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] Check Nebula tank for leakage
-Doesn't hurt to make sure, yeah?
[Sensors] T02
-Nothing else in range really
[Comms] Nothing
-Yeah, the hiver is a weirdo, but we are technically at peace with them in this sector. Let's not needlessly provoke them by buddying up with the Scintillans while they can hear us.
[Sarama] Charge Jump, meet us at N3
-If we take N3 as our meeting point, we can leave immediately after Sarama has charged up.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I didn't think scanning a nebula required a deep scan: I'll amend my orders to follow Theantero's plan, since that also works to get out in three turns.

[Helm] East 3
[Engineering] Tractor beam - O6
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] None
[Sensors] T02
[Sarama] Charge Jump, meet us at N3

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

I am so glad people are taking interest in science! :D
Now let us go for red nebula, hope is not all blood hahaha!

====================STARSHIP CONTROL====================
[Helm] - East 3 (n6)
[Weapons] - Njet
[Damage Control] - Continue Scan for safety, is number one!
[Sensors] - T02
[Engineering] - Tractor the beam for O6
[Sarama] - Please to be charging the jumper and for to meeting us at n6 yes?
[Comms] - Njet
=========================================================

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

my dad posted:

[Helm] East 3 (N06)
[Engineering] Tractor beam - O06
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] Run weapons diagnostics, just in case
[Sensors] T02

Sarama: Jump

[Comms]

This sounds good, but can we even GET to N06 without boosting, due to the nebula we're currently in?

[edit]

If we can, I'd say Boost to P06, grabbing the sample as we go.
Next turn Deep scan nebula and North to P03.
After that West to N06, grab sample and Jump.

[VIA] VIA, if we boost east to go to P06, can we tractor the sample as we pass by?

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 19, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

This sounds good, but can we even GET to N06 without boosting, due to the nebula we're currently in?

As far as I know, the nebula restricts movement into a square containing it, not out. Confirmation from gravedust would be nice though.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

nothing to seehere posted:

As far as I know, the nebula restricts movement into a square containing it, not out. Confirmation from gravedust would be nice though.

Indeed. It takes the extra movement to go INTO a blue sector. Moving out of one is free.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Oh hey, look some posts after I edited last post.

Just to make sure it's seen:

If we can, I'd say Boost to P06, grabbing the sample as we go.
Next turn Deep scan nebula and North to P03.
After that West to N06, grab sample and Jump.

[VIA] VIA, if we boost east to go to P06, can we tractor the sample as we pass by?

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

quote:

No, We would need to slow down from transit speed to have a chance at retrieving the sample safely.
((You need to stop in the same square as it))

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Start charging for jump out

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

VIA posted:

No, We would need to slow down from transit speed to have a chance at retrieving the sample safely.
((You need to stop in the same square as it))

"Eh, fair enough. Let's see what we can do with the standing plan then, eh?"

...In Order...
[Helm] East to N06
[Weapons] No target... but wouldn't hurt to be ready.
[Damage Control] Oh man, you had to put the ice cream machine down, didn't you?
[Engineering] Power to Tractor Beam.
Tractor Beam Pickup sample at O06
[Sensors] T02

[Sarama] Charge Jump and rendezvous at N03

[Comms]
-<<Within Rain Hand's data stream without increasing stream size>> Orders from our Command came and stated we need to return with what samples we can without engaging potential hostiles. Will be unavailable to support you should Qura'xxo attack once we jump. If you have shields, might be advisable to lead any pursuers through some nebulae. If there is any data you would like us to deliver, please let us know what and where, and we'll see what we can do.
-<Gar'xx'tuur> "Humblest apologies friend. Incoming orders state we need to collect some last samples and return immediately. Seems we have taken to long in this sector. Are there any messages you would wish to impart for us to deliver? Perhaps to the Qura'xxo Embassy? We may be able to get a ship or set of ships sent back to help with your own acquisitions."

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judith Chiang, Nav Officer

Now we'll have to wait at the jump site, but I can understand Sarama's hesitance in the face of competing requests. Good thing the Qura'xxo aren't close enough to take advantage of it.

[Helm]: East 3
[Sensors]: Scan N16
[Engineering]: Tractor beam on O6

[Sarama]: Plan's still the same. Charge the jump drives and meet at N3.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(6)East(3,3,3,3,3,3)

[Weapons]
[n/a]

[Damage Control]
(2) Weapons Re-re-diagnostic.
(1) Check Nebula Tank

[Sensors]
(4) T-02
(1) N16

Engineering
(6)Tractor(O-6)

Sarama Jump [6/3]

"Sarama posted:

Roger that! Let's blow this space popsicle stand!

VIA posted:

You know, that used to be a figurative expression until just recently.

Comms posted:

[to Rain|Hand] LEAVING; ATTACK IMMINENT; RUN; STAY SAFE
[to Rain|Hand] Orders from our Command came and stated we need to return with what samples we can without engaging potential hostiles. Will be unavailable to support you should Qura'xxo attack once we jump. If you have shields, might be advisable to lead any pursuers through some nebulae. If there is any data you would like us to deliver, please let us know what and where, and we'll see what we can do.

"Rain|Hand posted:

[Understood][<END>]
[i/we will:][complete][job][a short time][and then:][Jump][<END>]

[to Gar'xx'Tuur] "Humblest apologies friend. Incoming orders state we need to collect some last samples and return immediately. Seems we have taken to long in this sector. Are there any messages you would wish to impart for us to deliver? Perhaps to the Qura'xxo Embassy? We may be able to get a ship or set of ships sent back to help with your own acquisitions."

quote:

>>>SAD HOW >>DIFFICULT>> IT SEEMS TO BE FOR YOU>>>FRAGMENTS>>> TO FOLLOW >>SIMPLE DIRECTIONS>><
>>BUT DO NOT>WORRY>YOUR HUMAN>>SINGLEBRAIN>>OVER IT>><
>>DUE TO MY ASTOUNDING>>>COMPASSION>>>I AM NOW MAKING IT>>>>MUCH>>>>EASIER>>FOR YOU TO>>DELIVER>>MY>CARGO>TO ME><

Scan nebula types:
[Orange:1/1](Hazardous)
[Blue:1/1](Inhibits movement)
[Black:1/1](Inhibits scanning)
[Red:0/1]
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples and objects of interest [3/4]

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Incoming Jump, eh? He must have been holding that charge for a while to be so immediate."

...In Order...
[Helm] North to N05
[Weapons] Stay on Alert.
[Damage Control] Be Ready
[Engineering] Power to Sensors
[Sensors] Nebula

[Sarama] Continue Charging Jump and rendezvous at N03

(edit)
Oh, rightrightrightright, completely skipped my mind. I R Doofus.
Amended orders.
VVVVV

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 20, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Let's not forget to finish our primary objective, shall we?

[Helm] North 1 (N05)
[Weapons] Nope
[Damage Control] Run self-diagnostic
[Engineering] Sensors
[Sensors] Deep scan the red nebula

edit: I think the Scintillians should be able to survive 3 turns. That's 16 damage per turn at the worst, 48 maxium damage total.

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 20, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

...In Order...
[Helm] North to N05
[Weapons] Stay on Alert.
[Damage Control] Be Ready
[Engineering] Power to Sensors
[Sensors] Nebula

[Sarama] Continue Charging Jump and rendezvous at N03

"Ehh, wh- waht was that *BURRRRRRRP* *HIC*"

"Ye shure okay whatever. Lezz go with that shounds good!"

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Why does everyone want to take it slow? We don't need to stop in the red nebula to scan it. Remember our first time in the blue?

I don't want to take any chances with this incoming unknown. We should keep as far as possible, then jump at N1.

[Helm]: North 3
[Sensors]: Deep Scan N5 as we pass through it
[Engineering]: Boost Sensors

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

HBar posted:

"Man I to- *BURRP* totally forgot we could do dat! Can I change my vote b'cuz this is smarter."

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Theantero posted:

"Man I to- *BURRP* totally forgot we could do dat! Can I change my vote b'cuz this is smarter."

Yeah, same

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"If we scan it on the way and it doesn't work for whatever reason, we'll need to turn around and go back. Seeing how things are set we'll rendezvous with Sarama just as they finish charging, may just want to keep with the current plan. Though I am curious what'd happen if we scan the egress point now, then scan the nebula before we leave it."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

Though I am curious what'd happen if we scan the egress point now, then scan the nebula before we leave it."

quote:

Unfortunately there is little useful information that can be gleaned from an egress point, I don't think it would help us very much.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HBar posted:

"Throwing my hat in with this option too. We can get this done then get gone before the hivers decide our singlebrains would look better atomised."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

((Experiencing technical difficulties! ...Actually just more busy than anticipated. Update tomorrow hopefully.))

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Dammit, did someone spill their drink on the AI Core again?"

((Take your time, Grave, it's all good))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(5)North(3)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
[n/a]
[Sensors]
(5)Nebula
Engineering
(6)Sensors

VIA posted:

Performing Nebula scan now…
Interesting readings, but I'm not sure what this means.

> ALERT: UNEXPECTED SHIELD POWER CONSUMPTION

Weird. Must be the Nebula interfering with the shield harmonics.
Don't worry, though, It'll take much more than that to destabilize the shields.

> ALERT: SHIELDS DESTABILIZED

That's not suppossed to happen!

quote:

>MY >>>FLAGSHIP>>>IS MANIFEST!!>>
>>LIGHT>CREATURES>>GAZE>>UPON>>YOUR>>>>DOOOOM>>>><
>>YOU WILL>>>>PERISH>>>>IN>>FLAME>><
>>SCOURGED>>BY>>THE>>>>FIRES>>>OF>>MY>>>ANGER>>><

>>ALSO>HELLO>HUMAN>>>FRIENDS>>><
>>PLEASE APPROACH>>>IMMEDIATELY>>TO>BEGIN>>CARGO TRANSFER>><

quote:

The last Sample has been secured and I have just archived the last of the required nebula data! All our mission objectives are met, we can jump back to Typhon Sector as soon as we are ready.

((
BIT OF TRIVIA I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED SOONER:
Jumping is a Helm action, so you will need to rendezvous with Sarama if you want to extract next turn, they won't be able to come to you. …I know you specified that Sarama meet you at M-3, but for reasons of map clarity, I didn't want to overlap the ships this turn. Maybe Sarama's Captain misheard or just got distracted by something shiny. :P
))

Scan nebula types: COMPLETE!
[Orange:1/1](Hazardous) [Blue:1/1](Inhibits movement) [Black:1/1](Inhibits scanning) [Red:1/1] (Disables shielding)
BONUS OBJECTIVES
Retrieve additional Samples and objects of interest [4/4] COMPLETE!

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
[Helm] West 1 (M03)
[Weapons] nah
[Damage control] Shield capacitor diagnostic
[Engineering] Sensors
[Sensors] P09 (Deep scan)

[Comms]
<Rain|Hand> deep scan info, embedded within the data stream
<QXO> "No problem, friend. Just give us a second to readjust the cargo distriNO, NOT THAT BUTTON YOU IDI..." *jumps away*

e: I have no idea what the scintillians are doing. They're being incredibly suicidal. I'm almost wondering if we should stay around for one more turn, just to see what the hell they're trying to do.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 25, 2016

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

my dad posted:

[Helm] West 1 (M03)
[Weapons] nah
[Engineering] Sensors

[Comms]
<QXO> "No problem, friend. Just give us a second to readjust the cargo distriNO, NOT THAT BUTTON YOU IDI..." *jumps away*
I'm on board with all of this. But not the sticking around part, especially not when our shields are down. Speaking of which...

[Comms]
[to Rain|Hand] The red nebula depletes shields. Hope that helps. Good luck out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

my dad posted:

[Helm] West 1 (M03)
[Weapons] nah
[Engineering] Sensors

[Comms]

e: I have no idea what the scintillians are doing. They're being incredibly suicidal. I'm almost wondering if we should stay around for one more turn, just to see what the hell they're trying to do.

"What the Padre said sounds good. And the Scintillans are gonna be fine, their HUD Token is still in the green. They're probably trying to break the Qura'xxo line to get clear jump aisle. Might be heading for that orange nebula. Rabbit in a briar patch and all that."

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 25, 2016

• Locked thread