Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Davincie posted:

i think the series is sponsored by the bike manufacturers, but im not sure on it

Not too sure about Ducati sponsoring it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well only the japanese ones of course

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They have the official Ducati sponsorship just to make jokes about Ducati sucking.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's a short playlist of songs about motorcycles that i like.

Mary Lou Lord covering 1952 Vincent Black Lightning
The Mountain Goats - Jenny
Arlo Guthrie - The Motorcycle Song
Yo La Tengo - Little Honda
Mary Lou Lord - Speeding Motorcycle

I hope you'll enjoy some or all of them.

And if music's not your thing, you might enjoy reading about Hunter S Thompson's experience with a Ducati.

http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno Motorcycle knowledge for idiots

Whats a CC? CC or Cubic Centimeters is a unit measuring the engine displacement. The displacement can also give you a really rough estimate of the motorcycle performance, like a 250cc could be a beginner motorcycle, a 650cc a middleweight, while a liter (1000cc) is usually a heavyweight fast bike.
Overall I would classify in the following weight/displacement classes

Ultra lightweight From 1cc to 249cc

Yamaha DT50R

Honda GROM
This class is mostly dominated by scooters, mopeds, motorcross and microbikes. Also probably the most numerous class out there as they are extremely cheap to buy, maintain and are extremely popular in countries where cars are expensive as hell. Good motorcycles if your commute is short and in a city.

Lightweight From 250cc to 650cc

A pre-gen Kawasaki Ninja 250

Suzuki SV650S
The meat and potatoes of beginners motorcycles, also when the number of CCs kinda stops being an indicator of performance. A Ninja 650R is going to be really tamed compared to a Ninja ZX-6R. Most 250cc motorcycle are excellent beginner bikes and some 650cc are also excellent beginners motorcycles, the SV650 being one of them.

Middleweight - 651cc to 800-999cc (depending on the bike)

Suzuki GSXR 750

BMW F800R
Not really recommended for beginners as they usually have more power than the previous classes also its where the correlation of CC to power just looses all its meaning. In my opinion the sweet spot class as you can still get a decent lightweight motorcycle with decent fuel economy and a good amount of naughtiness. Also i didn't want to add a second Suzuki but the GSXR 750 is the perennial middleweight sportbike, so :shrug:

Heavyweight - 1000cc up

Triumph Rocket III

Ducati Panigale R
Welcome to the big leagues gently caress boy if you are living in the USA you can buy one of this bad boy straight out of getting your motorcycle licence and then crash the bike because you are a know nothing fuckboi. Some of them are built light and for speed, some of them are build for torques and long distance, some of them achieve a middle ground of both. Get some experience driving something smaller before you get here

Ultra Heavyweight - CC is just a number babe

Dodge Tomahawk
8000cc and 500HP. You dont want it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That Triumph is a good looking motorcycle, and I say that as someone who generally prefers the look of more sport/super bikes.

Not that I own a motorcycle or even have a license, but they are fun to look at.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Most of these girls are not geared appropriately for riding and it ruins my immersion. They should be advised that looking moe is great and all up until you take a fall and leave all of your skin 100 feet behind you.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, a couple thousand dollar doesn't seem too bad.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Also that Dodge Tomahawk looks retarded.

JoJoJosephSmith
Apr 8, 2016

Dodge Tomahawk looks like something from that x-treme g racing series on the n64/gamecube.

In a good way but yeah its also kinda ugly

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also that Dodge Tomahawk looks retarded.

irokia posted:

Dodge Tomahawk looks like something from that x-treme g racing series on the n64/gamecube.

In a good way but yeah its also kinda ugly

Well when you're trying to stick one of these:

That's normally inside one of these:

On something vaguely motorycycle sized and shaped.. you may need to make some concessions in the looks department.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

holy poo poo

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Amstrad posted:

On something vaguely motorycycle sized and shaped.. you may need to make some concessions in the looks department.

alternatively: realize you're a dumb and stop doing that

JoJoJosephSmith
Apr 8, 2016

Amstrad posted:

you know in that game series you could break the sound barrier

looks like dodge might be trying

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hmm, a couple thousand dollar doesn't seem too bad.

Ya also gotta budget for a Motorcycle safety course or whatever motorcycle safety school is available in your country and also budget for gear. Some gear is OK getting used as long as they haven't been crashed. Always buy helmets new and never used.

Blhue posted:

Unlike her I am being 100% sincere in this.
Source: I live in California bay area and it rained today. So I rode my motorcycle to work.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

Post ur bieks
K.

Old: 1980 CB400T, new: 2007 Bandit 650S. The Honda's in p. bad shape mechanically now after some bad engine work and my attempts to repair it, so I'm trying to get rid of it.

So go Team Suzuki!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Reading/watching this has rekindled my bike desires. Unfortunately it's been 15 years since I've ridden, I only had a permit then, and now I live in SoCal where the freeways are deathtraps.

So basically I'm thinking of taking a safety course and getting something to die on. I wish Honda sold more naked bikes in the US.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blhue posted:

Big engines are cool

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno Motorcycle knowledge for idiots

On gear and protecting your bits from looking like ground beef
Unlike cars riding motorcycles carry some additional risk, mainly you are exposed to the elements and if you crash/lowside/hiside the laws of physics are going to make mincemeat out of you. So being proactive about wearing your gear and knowing what to use.

A Dainese Leather jacket
Leather Gear
Good: Made from (hopefully) real thick leather offers the highest slide protection, as well as being really good insulator, naturally rain resistant, fashionable as gently caress.
Bad: Stiff when new, really lovely if they use synth leather or thin/fashion leather, can be hot unless you use perforated leather, heavy.

A Revit Textile Jacket
Textile Gear
Good: Second in class when it comes to sliding protection, various colors, various varieties, can be treatable to be more rain proof, more breathable, etc.
Bad: One crash and you may need to buy one.

A Alpinestars Mesh Jacket
Mesh Gear
Good: Extremely breathable, cheap.
Bad: Poor slide performance, if you crash if you gonna need to buy a new one.

Rain/Cold Gear
Depending on where you live you might want to eventually invest in Rain Gear, essentially rain proof layer you put over your Jacket/pants, or maybe even 4 season gear with included rain proof layers. To beat the cold you have the options of layering up, using a balaclava on your helmet, heated gear (gear with heat elements that connect to your motorcycle electrical system) and heated grips.

One vs Two pieces
One Piece suits offer more protection as there are less stress points where the gear will fail, but they are awkward to put on, are more expensive and can come in award sizes. Two pieces are cheaper, easier to get on and off and are easier to find the proper size, they offer less protection on the pants/jacket connection point.

Helmets
A good helmet is not only comfortable it will also save your life. Anything sub-$200 should be fine as long as its DOT and/or ECE and/or Snell certified, anything above that and its mostly going to offer creature comfort.

A Shoei Helmet
Full - Most protective, can be heavy and expensive.

A Nolan Helmet
Modular - Almost as protective and full helmets, heavier and more expensive.

A Shark Helmet
Open Face - Can be cheaper, offers less protection, hope you like bugs innya face.

A Bell Helmet
Half-helmet - lol no

A Masei helmet
Gimmick - I would totes get a black/red one to cosplay as a Pilot. But never get a gimmick helmet.

Nice

Ville Valo posted:

I wish Honda sold more naked bikes in the US.

:getin:

In Training posted:

Big engines are cool

Concept motorcycles are also cool.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

This is currently what I'm considering getting myself for a birthday/lifegoals self-gift. How terrible is it for a newbie / 405 commuting? The Rebel looks great but isn't going to cut it at freeway speeds I fear.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ATGATT

I'm worried for the motorcycle clubs safety.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ville Valo posted:

This is currently what I'm considering getting myself for a birthday/lifegoals self-gift. How terrible is it for a newbie / 405 commuting? The Rebel looks great but isn't going to cut it at freeway speeds I fear.

If ya havent ridden a bike in a while and you feel a liter would kill you a CB500F might be what you want

If you don't care about what make of bike ya get, an SV650N might be better and cheaper

As for commuting the California, I commute in the Bay area and my F700GS is narrow enough to filter comfortably. Might be different down in LA...

Anyways I also wanna let ya jamokes know that there is a Cycle Asylum forums where they can answer more questions of what ya wanna get,

a kitten posted:

ATGATT

I'm worried for the motorcycle clubs safety.

They are too idiotic to die.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
The internet and its bike accident pictures has forever killed and destroyed my boyish lust for motorcycles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I would ride a bike, but driving a car scares me enough. I guess I'll just live out my biker desires through the medium of anime girls.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

This show/thread is making me actually want to get a bike even though I know it's a terrible idea and my entire family would probably rip me to shreds for it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnoHito posted:

This show/thread is making me actually want to get a bike even though I know it's a terrible idea and my entire family would probably rip me to shreds for it.

If you have a bit of money to spare and want the experience you can go take an endorsement class and learn to ride and get some time on bikes in a safe and controlled environment. It's actually pretty fun and for me it was only 200 USD. Two days of riding and some indoor tests and safety briefings. It might also be required for the license anyways depending on where you live. It's the class that Hane is taking right now in the anime.

Kashekya
Dec 11, 2003

Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

As Sharkopath said, look into motorcycle safety/endorsement classes in your area. Was only $20 for me and depending on your state/area passing the class allows you to get your official motorcycle license without taking the official DMV test.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kashekya posted:

As Sharkopath said, look into motorcycle safety/endorsement classes in your area. Was only $20 for me and depending on your state/area passing the class allows you to get your official motorcycle license without taking the official DMV test.

I feel like I've been fleeced.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I feel like I've been fleeced.

Pwned.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

If you have a bit of money to spare and want the experience you can go take an endorsement class and learn to ride and get some time on bikes in a safe and controlled environment. It's actually pretty fun and for me it was only 200 USD. Two days of riding and some indoor tests and safety briefings. It might also be required for the license anyways depending on where you live. It's the class that Hane is taking right now in the anime.

Kashekya posted:

I'll probably have to save up for it a little bit at any rate, but thanks for the advice, will probably look into it at some point.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AnoHito posted:

Nah, it'll be the asphalt that rips you to shreds.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Motorcycles are super cool and I want one, but I'm one of those with a grisly story in the family, and it would kill my mother with worry were I to get one.

So instead, I will watch Bakuon. And probably read it after the anime is done.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad of all the respect for moms in here

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Moms are very powerful

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

safety is for idiots

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

staplegun posted:

safety is for idiots

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

makes sense then

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

To be loving honest as long as you are safe and ultra aware of your surroundings riding motorcycles is fine and safe. There is this video of a British guy going almost 100 mph, driving recklessly and then collided with a car, high sided and died on the spot.

So please drive safely and have fun.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Moms are very powerful

This is true, my mom always tries to guilt trip me into quitting driving. I always have to reassure her that I safety is always a priority.

Also LOL if you are a grown rear end man living on your own and let your parents dictate your life.

staplegun posted:

safety is for idiots

In case you are being serious: gently caress YOU

Im a safe idiot :colbert:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Being safe makes you look cool, because you get to wear armor and rad helmets.

Or in extreme cases: Armored Maid Uniforms.

• Locked thread