Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I too really enjoyed MDK-2, had a lot of fun playing through it. Never beat it though, one of the late game bosses proved impossible for me to beat; I literally could not figure out what I was supposed to do. Look forward to seeing how you finally beat that bastard when you get to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

HardDisk posted:

I could have sworn that the boss fight was a lot more exciting, and that the Thumper was useful for something. I thought it cleared either the whole room or killed all ground enemies in a huge radius. That might have been the tornado, though.

I also recall the thumper clearing an entire room.

It seems that at the 4:30 part of the last video Gunter is conducting the music that's currently playing. This could also be a reference to him being the leader of the alien invasion, leading the battle with his musical performance.

MDK2 has some fun moments, but overall it was a step down. It looked alright for its day, but the gameplay wasn't as interesting. The loading area tunnels lost their touches and they simply became tunnels of "gun all enemies", especially for the first Max level.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Ah, MDK 2, one of the few dreamcast games I own. I enjoyed it, but not without some reservations. I look forward to how you go through some parts of that game. gently caress that giant arena room in level... 7 was it? and the giant platforming section in level 8 can go eat a dick. Please show off the shortcut skipping that lovely rear end room...

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
MDK2 is the bigger and wackier sequel to the cult classic third-person shooter, this time developed by Bioware. The game expands the first's gameplay to include all three heroes as playable characters, each with their own unique and weird abilities, all framed by fully voice acted cutscenes brimming with silliness.

The story is such:
The game picks up almost exactly where the first left off. "Mission: Deliver Kindness" seemed to be going well, leading ultimately to the defeat of Gunter. But now there's a new big bad: Schwang Schwing, and he's got some bitchin' shades and a sexy, rumbling voice. As Schwang variously captures each hero for the first several chapters, it is up to original unwitting hero Kurt Hectic, cigar-chewing multi-armed robodog Max, and eccentric/improbable inventor Dr. Hawkins to all take the protagonist's seat and bring Schwang to his knees.

---The LP---:
This LP is played and hosted by our longtime friend JigglyJacob, with myself, Highwang, BigTUnit1 and/or Mugiwara Yoshi as his co-commentators.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
That is not a SNES controller. :argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

When was this released? It looks surprisingly good for what I would have assumed was late 90s/early 00s.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It was originally released in 2000. Jacob's playing the Steam version.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I used "Who's your daddy? Why, yes, I am." for like, five years after playing this game.

Also, I absolutely love the comic book loading screens. They're so awesome.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

chrisoya posted:

That is not a SNES controller. :argh:

That's a gravis GamePad

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JFairfax posted:

That's a gravis GamePad
It's like some people didn't grow up playing Commander Keen and arguing about whether it was better with or without the joystick handle attached.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Biological Research Station's personality from Old World Blues started out much bigger than I thought.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm digging the music.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Kurt's out, so it's time for Max to pick up way too many guns and shoot up some aliens himself.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I was always better at the Kurt stages than playing as Max, but that's because I'm not as good at run and gun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That music is hella Matrix-esque.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

split the difference between cigars and batteries: Max vapes.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
One of those doors gave you two car batteries and no guns, so I'm pretty sure they are just random items.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I completely forgot to upload this today! This week we take control of Dr. Hawkins and learn new ways to use ladders and toast.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
Wow forget all this third person shooter nonsense, just give me an adventure game starring Dr. Hawkins.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
Back in the day a lot of the criticism for this game was aimed particularly at Dr. Hawkins levels. For my younger self those levels were easily the best. Something about the whole toaster style humor got to me.

Don't think I ever even took the longer route across the hall where you skipped a portion of the level. I always thought you just had to tank the damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'll be honest, this is where I lost interest; at the time I played, I really couldn't cope with the platforming sections and ended up dying from repeated fall damage. I think the real problem, though, is that MDK2 has basically three different gameplay styles, and what I really wanted was more Kurt, less Max/Doc.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah, when you play that level for the first time it's sheer joy - what does THIS do? What about THAT? It combines cartoonish glee with the wonder of inventory puzzles.

Then you have to use it all to navigate some really tedious pixel-perfect jumping sections, and the fish bit isn't actually any fun unless you have the layout memorised, and the whole wonderful concept is quietly flushed.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ah, I do love how they kept the silliness, but, as others have noted, the Prof's sections are the weakest. Ah well, 'twas a time of experimentation, and MDK 2 did some fun things. Also, "Hitting The Sauce" is still used today in Britain as a means of saying "Getting drunk" (Albeit mostly among older and anachronistic folk.)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I would, for the record, admit that I enjoy Jacob. He entertains me.

That being said, polish up the platforming, the level design, and the puzzles, and this level would be perfect(ly magical).

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As everyone's noted so far, it's definitely the platforming that weakens what is otherwise a great little level idea. I would've totally been okay with Doc's stages being nothing but adventure game style puzzle solving with the occasional atomic toast murder along the way.

Also, Atomic Toast is the best weapon idea in the game. gently caress guns, we have radioactive bread missiles.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This game is quite, quite silly.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The sections with Max makes me remember fond times playing Giants: Citizen Kabuto. :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Back to Kurt, and we can finally give Shwang some bullets where they belong.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Do you have to snipe the fan-spheres? You can't just shoot them normally?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's faster to just snipe them from there than jump into the middle and eat a crossfire.

Schwang always kicked my rear end during this fight when I first played this game. If you don't have a sniper shield, this fight is basically a lot of shooting back and forth at a guy who can move around and kill you in not all that many hits while you're pretty seriously stuck in a small area in the middle.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Is Schwang's weapon laser-firing sunglasses?

Best boss ever.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Loxbourne posted:

Is Schwang's weapon laser-firing sunglasses?

Best boss ever.
That seems to be the case for his first phase, but I think in his second phase he's taking off his head to fire lasers from his neck.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

LogicalFallacy posted:

That seems to be the case for his first phase, but I think in his second phase he's taking off his head to fire lasers from his neck.

That's also pretty metal.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Back in the late 90's/early 00's, I used to deliver pizzas in Laguna Beach. The Shiny office there was pretty nondescript, but they were cool guys and often let me look around whwnever I made a delivery there. Mostly they were working on Messiah.

The building is currently a real estate group headquarters, and it makes me a little sad every time I drive by it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Max gets an evil twin! And lots more four-armed shooting.

Also this piece of fanart by ChibiWisdom:

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
...wait, you can skip the lovely acid pool platforming segment all together? I thought the game forced you to navigate that stuff. :psyduck:, also, who thought the stupid jetpack hover room before the shaft with the breaking floor was a good idea?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nameless Fool posted:

...wait, you can skip the lovely acid pool platforming segment all together? I thought the game forced you to navigate that stuff. :psyduck:, also, who thought the stupid jetpack hover room before the shaft with the breaking floor was a good idea?

You have to know these things as MDK2 World Videogame Champion Skip Rogers Jacob.

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008

Section Z posted:

You have to know these things as MDK2 World Videogame Champion Skip Rogers Jacob.

I hope he shows the secret elevator in level 8 which lets you skip an annoying, long as gently caress climb.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
This is kind of a forgettable Max level. The only part where they do something different is the (awful) jetpack sequence and the pretty neat bossfight. Unfortunately, Max is so powerful that the boss fight can end pretty fast and not much ends up happening. I never paid attention to it earlier, but now that I watch this LP it's pretty beautiful how the developers stopped giving a drat about things making sense. Of course there's a floating jetpack device at the atomic bath. Of course Bad Max had a teleporter inside it. They simply glue these rooms together in any way they can and don't even try to hide the fact that the transitions between the scenes, or levels, don't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Fool
Aug 29, 2008
Also, I forgot to mention, the car battery that spawns in front of the computer is what Bad Max uses to heal himself, not the terminal. You can easily just camp out on the respawning Car Battery, wait for Bad Max to show up, to cheese most of the fight. It's interesting to have an enemy use the same healing powerups that are normally exclusive to you.

• Locked thread