Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, I’ve now played this game on the PS4 for a couple of days now, done maybe 15-ish runs (got the trophy for clearing Forge 10 times but no other level trophies yet). And, uh, maybe it’s a combination of previous knowledge and time with the game plus dodging just being easier on an analog stick, but I’ve already unlocked all shortcuts, done all original pasts, killed the Lich, unlocked Robot and done its past and also just got Lead God without a particularly incredible setup. It took me over 200 hours to get Lead God on computer.

What I’m really not looking forward to is trying to beat RR again. Hell, maybe I won’t even try because gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

Well, I’ve now played this game on the PS4 for a couple of days now, done maybe 15-ish runs (got the trophy for clearing Forge 10 times but no other level trophies yet). And, uh, maybe it’s a combination of previous knowledge and time with the game plus dodging just being easier on an analog stick, but I’ve already unlocked all shortcuts, done all original pasts, killed the Lich, unlocked Robot and done its past and also just got Lead God without a particularly incredible setup. It took me over 200 hours to get Lead God on computer.

What I’m really not looking forward to is trying to beat RR again. Hell, maybe I won’t even try because gently caress that
I just bought it on PC again after full clearing it on my Switch and can comfortably say muscle memory is so important in this game. Haven't played it in months but it feels like riding a bike. First run I had only really got overpowered in the Forge (Stinger, FMJ, Vulcan Cannon and drum clip. Dragun pretty much melted), but knocked out 2/4 of the BTKTP with the easier ones to get next. Looking forward to sinking more time back into this game and grinding back to the finished gun.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
As someone just starting out with this game, anything I need to know? or 'just play it!'?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Use the dodge roll only when you have to. If you get used to simply walking between shots and saving the roll as a last-ditch escape tool, you'll get hit much less often.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
^^yeah don't spam dodge roll. You can also use the geometry of the rooms to help you block bullets and kite enemies.

redreader posted:

As someone just starting out with this game, anything I need to know? or 'just play it!'?

Only thing I think you should know going in is there is an npc in the nexus (or the rift or whatever it's called) that will unlock upon beating the "final" (not actually but you'll know it when you see it) boss. This npc can turn on Turbo Mode which makes movement speed, enemy spawns, bullets and dodging much faster. It's not really that much harder but it does make runs a LOT snappier and, imo, is a much more engaging way to play the game. So yeah turn that on at your earliest opportunity.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I freed one npc on the first or second floor and she said she'd see me back on the first floor but I can't go back up a floor. Does that mean I unlocked her forever and she's actually in the pre-gungeon area and I didn't notice her?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

redreader posted:

I freed one npc on the first or second floor and she said she'd see me back on the first floor but I can't go back up a floor. Does that mean I unlocked her forever and she's actually in the pre-gungeon area and I didn't notice her?

Yep!

Edit: To clarify (since it's been a while since I've done the npc unlocks) some of them actually show up mid-run in special rooms as well and will allow you to engage in a specific (and beneficial) activity. Those npcs won't show in the breach.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I played each character twice and started getting confused. Did I unlock the shotgun for one of the characters (pilot? convict?) or was it always unlocked? Is the # shop selling just, items in general that can appear in the run, or is the shop a per-character shop? I know that whichever character you select, you still have the # you've earned before.

Do you earn # per character per boss, or just per boss? I saw that at first I would get 3 # for every level 1 boss but now I just get 1 #. Is it 'first time each character kills the boss' that you get extra, or some other thing?

Is there any unlock I should aim for that makes my life a lot easier? This game is hard... I've started getting to the black coal mines but never got past whoever the third boss is.

I also never use blanks despite telling myself to use them if needed, before every boss.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Unlocked items and weapons are universal. Bosses drop a random amount of currency. Might be more if you don't get hit?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Convict always starts with a sawed-off in addition to her crappy pistol. Was that what you're referring to?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
When you unlock an item, it's unlocked for everyone, permanently.

You get slightly better boss currency rewards for completing the boss fight (and possibly the floor leading up to it, not sure) without taking many/any hits.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You get better rewards for not taking a hit (including on armor) during the boss fight, which also will give your the master round for that floor.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Father Wendigo posted:

The Convict always starts with a sawed-off in addition to her crappy pistol. Was that what you're referring to?

Yeah I think so. So, I didn't unlock that then... I was unsure. What does everyone recommend as a 'best starter character'? I decided on maybe doomguy but immediately had a run in which I didn't get a single gun and died against the second boss.

I should probably start destroying all chests that I can't open before I leave a floor.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Soldier or Hunter. Hunter's crossbow is the best starting weapon and will help for the first two floors and the dog is useful throughout the game. Soldier has the accuracy and reload speed boost that makes his pistol work better than the rest and helps with all the weapons.

Pilot is the best character all around but has the hardest start. His pistol is garbage and two items/lower prices/more ammo is all great... For the third floor + when you start to really feel the accumulation.

Convict may have the easiest start with a useful item, molotov, and shotgun, but it's all brown tier stuff that really only helps on the first floor. I don't like the convict.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

redreader posted:

Yeah I think so. So, I didn't unlock that then... I was unsure. What does everyone recommend as a 'best starter character'? I decided on maybe doomguy but immediately had a run in which I didn't get a single gun and died against the second boss.

I should probably start destroying all chests that I can't open before I leave a floor.

I think using the Hunter is the way to go to start. The crossbow is super strong the first floor or two in case you don't get better guns. Most of the little bullet guys take 1 crossbow shot on floor one to kill so it's good for clearing those rooms. Switch to the pistol for bigger guys and bosses to save ammo. You CAN crossbow on a boss if you get absolutely nothing, but I'd prefer using the pistol or a "bad" gun since you'll care less about wasting ammo on a damage sponge.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One thing you might or might not have noticed: some guns can be fired quicker by mashing the fire button. That makes them quite a bit more powerful than they are just holding down the button. Of the starting guns, Hunter and Convict have such pistols. Give it a try if you didn’t already!

redreader posted:

Yeah. More chest stuff: every level has two chest rooms. One chest contains a weapon and the other has some kind of non-weapon item. You can use this knowledge to decide which chests to open and which ones to destroy, for instance if you open a green chest that has an item and the other item room has a blue chest and you’re currently not hurting for a new gun, you might want to save that key instead of getting a potentially subpar gun. I generally always try to find both chest rooms before opening them, unless I find a red or black chest in the first one. Might be a bit of a high-level method if you’re not used to the gameplay yet though. It does take a while

By the way I platinumed Gungeon on PS4. In nine days lol

Edit:

redreader posted:

Is there any unlock I should aim for that makes my life a lot easier? This game is hard... I've started getting to the black coal mines but never got past whoever the third boss is.

Oh yeah, also I wanted to comment to this that just unlock whatever you can, whenever you can. A majority of all the unlocks beefs up the pool of good items and weapons so you’re gradually improving your chances of getting something powerful as you keep unlocking stuff.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 13, 2021

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Soldier or Hunter. Hunter's crossbow is the best starting weapon and will help for the first two floors and the dog is useful throughout the game. Soldier has the accuracy and reload speed boost that makes his pistol work better than the rest and helps with all the weapons.

Pilot is the best character all around but has the hardest start. His pistol is garbage and two items/lower prices/more ammo is all great... For the third floor + when you start to really feel the accumulation.

Convict may have the easiest start with a useful item, molotov, and shotgun, but it's all brown tier stuff that really only helps on the first floor. I don't like the convict.

I found Convict to be the best beginner option because her 'do double damage when hit' is a good panic button move that will actually help save you in tighter spots when getting hit still leads to panicking. Her molotov is also marginally useful in the first two floors (and the sewer). She also has the easiest past and getting at least one past killed unlocks a lot of useful things.

My game completion went like this:

Convict
Marine
Hunter
Bullet
Robot

Pilot

...I loving hated the Pilot's past, though after like ten tries something it clicked and became the easiest thing in the world.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

100% on PS4! Finally was able to beat Advanced Dragun for the first time ever. Got the Weird Egg in the VERY LAST ROOM in the Forge which ended up being Goopton’s shop. Almost tore my hair out because I didn’t have anything to set a fire with and I’d already cleared the rest of the level, but then I remembered there were brazieres in a couple of rooms so I was able to hatch the egg, feed the baby enough guns to wake it up and then take on the Dragun.

I’ve fought the Advanced Dragun maybe 2-3 times before but always got wiped. This time I had I think 10 full hearts and took five damage. Weapon of choice was the Mass Shotgun with all the upgrades since I was playing as the Gunslinger.

I’ve now unlocked and done just about everything possible in this game, time to say goodbye to it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Aaaaaaa

aaaaaa!!!!

Totally unrelated fun fact/synergy: Full Metal Jacket will use the Elder Blank if it's available.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's a shame they never made a proper follow up to this game.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Exit the Gungeon is great.

Especially with the patches they've made subsequent to its Switch release.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanks for reminding me about Exit the Gungeon. For some reason I always thought it was like an Apple Arcade exclusive and didn’t realize it was on the PS4 as well. Been playing a bunch today, thought it was stupidly hard at first but I’m getting the hang of it. Knocked out the four original characters and the secret boss once too. It’s not perfect but it’s a fun alternate look into the Gungeon that I do honestly have a lot of fondness for

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Turbo mode is very funny when you get Super Hot Watch. And on a similar note, Challenge Mode is very funny when you get the Black Hole Gun on the Gunslinger. :v:

And yet despite knocking those unlocks out the real victory was finally defeating that fuckin' rat in Punchout for the first time!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Exit the Gungeon also platinumed. Easy peasy. Looking forward to whatever Dodge Roll’s next game is I suppose