Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekp92w8EbJ8

ENTER THE GUNGEON is a PS4/PC Roguelike/lite in the vein of Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne.

But with guns.

Everything is guns, everyone is bullets and casings are currency.

The gameplay is twin-stick shootery like those other listed games, with the same room-at-a-time layout of BoI. Additions are a dodgeroll with iframes, bullethell levels of bullets on screen from bosses, and guns. Lots of guns.

There's a handful of starter characters, each with their own starting loadout of guns, perks, buffs, active use items and the like, but with the variety of items and things it only matters a little in how you play, so i wont bother with a huge dumb post about each of the classes here because whatever when instead I could post this little guy:

Or some of this:

https://giant.gfycat.com/BaggyHatefulArgusfish.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Looks spiffy.
Does it hold the player's interest better than Titans Attack (that posh space invaders-like game) or Luftrausers?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I think it's got a lot more to it than Luftrausers, it's maybe even got more actual Things To Get than Nuclear Throne.

From my 2 hours or so on the PS4 version today I found:

A gun that shoots fish (had a chance to stun).
A boss who is a large, extremely buff bird, using an A-10 minigun as a weapon.
A gun that turns into a lightsaber when you reload that bounces the bullets away from you.
A gun that show snowballs and if you connected with enough of them it froze the thing you shot.
A crossbow that alternated on reload between firing three arrows at a time three times, and three slowing arrows.
A wooden log usable item that dropped a wooden log that the enemy shot instead of me for a while.
A sentient grenade that killed me by throwing himself at me.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

PC version doesn't unlock for another 4 hours or so, and that's terrible, unlike this game which looks pretty fun.

Lekon
Nov 6, 2012
The game is pretty drat awesome. I was one of the testers for it, so I can speak a little bit to what you're getting into. Namely:

Around 120 guns ranging from post mail launchers, multi missile cannons, rail guns, to Bloodborne switch guns or the lower case r. (Since it looks like a gun, that's enough for the Gungeon).
The Ammonomicon, which has a small back story for every single weapon, passive, and enemy.
A couple of hidden levels,
A bunch of random secrets that persist between play throughs.
A metric ton of gun puns.

Really, if you have any love for Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne, pick it up. Think of it as a much faster paced BoI with a dodge roll with invincibility frames and a higher focus on weapon variety over passives. e

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Looks real good but after watching some streams I'm feeling like it might just be too hard for me.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Do we know anything about future dlc plans? This type of game is perfect for it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

DrManiac posted:

Do we know anything about future dlc plans? This type of game is perfect for it

I think the devs said "adding free stuff" and "A big DLC pack"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Been watching streams of this, and it looks amazing. Can't wait for it to unlock.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it like nuclear throne and you have 360 degree aiming or binding of Isaac and you only get to aim in the four cardinal directions?

edit: Also no keyboard and mouse bind options apparently?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 5, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's out on Steam now, it seems.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I'm playing this now, it's awesome. And it's 360 aiming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game appears to have launched a little early on steam, which is like... hey, alright, cool. Much fun so far.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Looks like someone just broke the game here: https://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer

Game is mad fun, but there are a bunch of things the game doesn't teach you about, which is kinda weird. And I'm not sure how I swap active items on PS4.

One pro tip is to shoot the chests you won't have keys for, coz they can yield bullet hearts and stuff.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Looks cool, whats the upgrade system like? Is there potential for weird item interactions like in BoI?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh poo poo this is out

I'll ay when I get off work

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

voltron lion force posted:

Looks cool, whats the upgrade system like? Is there potential for weird item interactions like in BoI?

I was watching northernlion and yes there are. He picked up shock rounds that made his shotgun bullets kind of like shooting an electric fence.

I've played a few hours (haven't gotten past the 2nd floor) and I think the only thing that bothers me is that the characters are just starting loadouts rather than gameplay style changes like in BoI and NT. it's probably intentional but I liked switching characters in those games to play in a way I normally wouldn't.

For those wondering about difficulty: For exploring it's faster than Isaac but it isn't as manic as Nuclear Throne. The bosses might be harder than both those games if you're bad at dodging. The game is even more bullet hell than the final boss of NT on even the first bosses (though the bullets move much slower than NT but I'm playing on PS4).

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 5, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm really excited to start this. The theme music is chill as gently caress, go explore your options menus and listen a while.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Just played a couple games before work. It's pretty challenging so far, hopefully I'll get better as I learn the mechanics but I kept getting rocked in the 2nd area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have found a gun that is a super soaker that shoots water at such a high velocity that it damages enemies and pushes them back. Later, I found a gigantic duracell battery that shoots gauss chain lightning rounds. Then I died to a waddling bullet with a badass bandana. This game is good so far.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

So far the marine seems like the best starting character? A side arm that's not completely worthless and innately higher accuracy on weaponry. Also found arcane gunpowder that took up my use slot but wasn't usable so I'm sure that's related to some fancy secret.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Einwand posted:

So far the marine seems like the best starting character? A side arm that's not completely worthless and innately higher accuracy on weaponry.

He also gets better reload speeds off the bat so I'm probably not going to use any of the other characters at the moment.

I found a laser that's a reference to Moonraker.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Both the analogue sticks on my 360 controller pull down at random, I'd got used to it for playing Binding of Isaac but it seems I'm going to have to replace it to play this game well. It would randomly only let me shoot left like some kind of strange enforced hardmode. Lots of fun in the 20 mins or so I've played so far, hopefully will replace BoI as my game I can play when I have a spare half hour since I have 800 hours in that and I'm pretty bored of it so far. Anyone know how long a fastish playthrough of gungeon takes? I can do isaac to chest pretty consistently sub 20 mins and it's perfect for the amount of gaming time I have, sadly can't spend hours playing games any more.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Einwand posted:

So far the marine seems like the best starting character? A side arm that's not completely worthless and innately higher accuracy on weaponry. Also found arcane gunpowder that took up my use slot but wasn't usable so I'm sure that's related to some fancy secret.
I like the hunter (or whatever her class name is). Her pistol is great, and the crossbow one-shots the basic characters.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I made a deal with an ammo skeleton, I'm not sure what I gained from it but now I'm running into super strong black aura enemies now and then and I regret my decision.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

What are the altars supposed to do?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Einwand posted:

I made a deal with an ammo skeleton, I'm not sure what I gained from it but now I'm running into super strong black aura enemies now and then and I regret my decision.

It refills your ammo for whatever weapon you have equipped but also makes the champion versions of enemies (red and black colored) appear more often.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

parthenocarpy posted:

What are the altars supposed to do?

There's one altar I think you're talking about that requires you to put a specific item on it. That item is found in a secret area.

HINT:
find a way to put out the fire in the fireplace..

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Need to find some setting to get more than 60hz for my monitor while playing the game. So far pretty fun and best I've managed was to the fourth floor, just need to git guder.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

poemdexter posted:

There's one altar I think you're talking about that requires you to put a specific item on it. That item is found in a secret area.

HINT:
find a way to put out the fire in the fireplace..

Hmm, okay. The altar was always empty for me. Thanks for the hint, I did find out how to do that but couldn`t meet the secondary criteria.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Bought this game, then showed it to my spouse. Then had to buy a second copy. I am really excited for the co op, and also for the fact that the huntress has the best kind of dog as a perk.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

parthenocarpy posted:

Hmm, okay. The altar was always empty for me. Thanks for the hint, I did find out how to do that but couldn`t meet the secondary criteria.

Is that the altar in the back of the grave room? You need something from the previous floor then not take any damage until you get there.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Citrus posted:

Bought this game, then showed it to my spouse. Then had to buy a second copy. I am really excited for the co op, and also for the fact that the huntress has the best kind of dog as a perk.

we're doing this too

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I can't wait to give this a try when I get home later tonight.
I've been watching SleepCycles play it on stream a bit. It looks great.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Played a few rounds so far today. I am in love with the game. I put almost a combined 1000 hours into Isaac and this scratches that same itch.

Most powerful combo I got so far was the Scrambler which fires a shot that breaks into smaller seeker bullets and quick draw which fires a free shot every reload. Well Scrambler is single shot so each shot you fire 12 seeker shots that do decent damage.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I bought an pixelised r that shot bullet

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rrussom posted:

I bought an pixelised r that shot bullet

B U L L E T

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This game is kind of tough, not generous with the health and the bosses are tanky bullet hell. The best active I found so far is Bullet Time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man this game is rough and I say this as a veteran of BoI and Nuclear Throne. Gonna take a while to get used to it. I only made it to the third floor once so far...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Found a Wind Up Gun and it plays the bars to pop goes the weasel as you reload it :allears:

They missed out though, It would be forever amazing if you had to hold reload to wind it up, and then if you reloaded too long it let out one giant blast like what happened in Futurama :shobon: