Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there a bonus for fully exploring a level even if you're not helping Not-Link? I usually fight the boss immediately if I have high health and a decent weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Is there a bonus for fulling exploring a level even if you're not helping Not-Link? I usually fight the boss immediately if I have high health and a decent weapon.

The only thing you`re missing out on is potential loot. There is no ``bonus`` buff or reward you gain for exploration.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

The first boss being an MGS1 shoutout was a pretty cool thing to see at the start. He even dies the same way. :allears: This game is going to be good.

One of the guns I found was Revolver Ocelot's Single Action Army. Every time you switch to it its icon spins.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lakbay posted:

Is there a bonus for fully exploring a level even if you're not helping Not-Link? I usually fight the boss immediately if I have high health and a decent weapon.

At least on floor 1 I'll always fully explore because it's pretty easy to fight everyone and therefore basically free money and loot. Not sure if there are any rewards tied to speeding through the game though but I wouldn't be surprised if there were considering the Binding of Isaac pedigree

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What do I give to the guy that sometimes shows up under the sewer grate in the shops? He wants to be friends and wants to give me money but I don't know how to give him stuff :(

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

CJacobs posted:

What do I give to the guy that sometimes shows up under the sewer grate in the shops? He wants to be friends and wants to give me money but I don't know how to give him stuff :(

He wants guns. Press whatever key/button drops weapons while holding a gun you don't want.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a button to drop weapons? :psyduck:

edit: Huh, so there is.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
And items! I actually don't know if he takes those. I haven't seen him around in a couple dozen runs now.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I heard that there was slowdown on console. Is it real bad? I am wondering if I want to get this for PC or PS4

breaks
May 12, 2001

Jsor posted:

I just don't get that goddamn bird boss. Everyone else seems to do fine with him but he wrecks my poo poo. For whatever reason, I find the king way easier which seems to be the opposite of most people.

E: The only exception is if I get the room with the unbreakable columns in the four corners, which means I can just kite him around corners forever.

It helps a lot to stay as far away as possible and minimize parallel movement when he is doing his machine gun thing, if you run in a circle around him the tracking makes the bullet pattern harder IMO.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yo gently caress the Treadnaught, for real. Haven't beaten him once and if I see him I pretty much accept the run is over. Cannonbalrog isn't too much of a problem but that tank fucks me up every time.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Unlucky7 posted:

I heard that there was slowdown on console. Is it real bad? I am wondering if I want to get this for PC or PS4

There's an occasional hitch just before entering a new room, and sometimes it drops sub 60 when you're spamming a bunch of crazy bullshit, but it's pretty solid otherwise. Nothing gameplay impacting anyway.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Whew, just beat the game for the first time! But really, only because there was a rainbow chest on the first floor and it gives you like 6 items/guns or something crazy. I used that advantage to flawless the first 3 bosses and had a ton of heart containers going into the last floor.

Really loved using the Gunbow and that spine-AK47 hybrid thing Got into a pattern of nuking the room w/ a strong weapon and switching to my starter to finish it off once it was manageable. And the jetpack was the only reason I didn't get stomped by the Treadnaught. I could actually outmaneuver it for once!

Endgame Spoilers:
Is the final boss always the dragon or is there a pool for that too? And has anyone collected all 4 pieces of the super bullet yet? I still need the gunpowder and primer.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

What characters have you guys been using? I really like the Marine and Hunter. Marine's accuracy bonus is great, he has by far the best sidearm imo, and the free ammo refill + armor are nice little bonuses. Hunter gets the dog which really helps out with keys/hearts and the crossbow is a fantastic, ammo-efficient weapon that tears apart the first couple floors and remains decent afterwards. Marine/Hunter look the best too imo.

Pilot is just as good, but I personally enjoy the other two more. Convict seems like utter trash. The sawed-off is garbage, the damage boost when hit is garbage, and the molotov isn't anywhere near good enough to make up for what she's lacking compared to other characters. Her pistol blows too.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Someone please make some cool gifs threads for games are always better when some cool gifs get posted.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've only been using the marine since his passive seems to be the best out of the four. I've never seen the hunter's dog give me an extra item and I'd rather have a reliable passive than something that's a chance. The pilot's passive feels mediocre because I rarely find active items worth using, I don't usually have money problems, and the extra ammo capacity pales in comparison to the marine's passive.

I finally made it to the fourth floor thanks to bees.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 6, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just cannot figure out Beholster for the life of me. It has so many different attacks that it can do at any time, and none of them sync up with each other so the arena is just a clusterfuck of bullets and lasers and adds and homing missiles all over the place. There's so much to micromanage that I get overwhelmed and die every single time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

To whoever asked if there was a way to disable the both sticks being Blank binding for controllers, there is. Under options, set "Additional Blank Binding" to None.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

RyokoTK posted:

I just cannot figure out Beholster for the life of me. It has so many different attacks that it can do at any time, and none of them sync up with each other so the arena is just a clusterfuck of bullets and lasers and adds and homing missiles all over the place. There's so much to micromanage that I get overwhelmed and die every single time.

The best time to shoot is when it does the big eye beam attack. It always does it 3 times and it's easy to dodge roll through and it's usually not shooting anything else when it does it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I found a pillow that fires off other, smaller pillows which stun enemies when they connect. With an upgrade to firing speed, my pillows basically rocket at lightspeed toward enemies and knock them halfway across the room. :iia:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stoat posted:

This game is hella fun but also p hard.

My questions are:

1. What does the camera do?
2. I'm using the starting gun as much as possible to save ammo. Is that a good strategy / needed?
The camera is a charge weapon that damages everything in the room at once. It's dope on big rooms with tons of enemies

Switch away from starting gun whenever you feel threatened/boxed in, it's not worth saving ammo if you take damage.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Vargs posted:

What characters have you guys been using?

I agree, Convict seems pretty gimpy but the other three are all pretty usable. Pilot has the worst weapon but the best ability, Marine is the best for fighting, and Hunter is kind of in between.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Manticore posted:

And items! I actually don't know if he takes those. I haven't seen him around in a couple dozen runs now.

He even takes the junk you get from breaking chests

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

goferchan posted:

He even takes the junk you get from breaking chests

Junk is actually very, very slightly useful, because there's a weapon that scales with how much junk you have. That's probably why.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Man, Treadnaught is a real bitch to fight. God did not intend people to see that many red circles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

breaks posted:

I agree, Convict seems pretty gimpy but the other three are all pretty usable. Pilot has the worst weapon but the best ability, Marine is the best for fighting, and Hunter is kind of in between.

I've actually been enjoying Convict and Marine the most. Sure, the molotov is kinda poo poo most of the time, but occasionally useful. The shotgun is pretty nice until you replace it with something better and it's not like it's hard to get close-ish to the early enemies anyway. Shoot them in the face, problem solved!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I cleared the second secret level, unlocked a bloody scarf whatever the heck that'll do. Hopefully now I never have a reason to go to the first secret level again, two keys on the first floor is just downright absurd.
Just found the scarf on the next floor and that's actually pretty good.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 6, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I enjoy this game's references to Bloodborne in the lore blurbs. I've noticed a couple of others here and there, like the shield quotes Bloodborne's shield's description for example. Someone apparently is a fan. :v:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I've actually been enjoying Convict and Marine the most. Sure, the molotov is kinda poo poo most of the time, but occasionally useful. The shotgun is pretty nice until you replace it with something better and it's not like it's hard to get close-ish to the early enemies anyway. Shoot them in the face, problem solved!

Alternatively, hit enemies from across the entire room with a super accurate crossbow bolt that does just as much damage as a point blank shotgun blast, while having a way better passive and a better sidearm. I hope the Convict ends up getting some buffs because I just don't see any reason to use her in a game as hard as this.

So I just made it to a floor 4 boss. Died, but it seemed way easier than that loving floor 3 tank. Trigger Twins/Ammoconda/Treadnaught are all definitely the toughest bosses for their respective floors, imo.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Anyone know how to get across this room in the 4th floor? I'm assuming there's hidden platforms or something but like hell I'm wildly blinking into the pit a bunch. I'm assuming it has another one of the pieces of the bullet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know there's an item called Wax Wings that straight up gives you flight, though requiring that seems like a lot of luck.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I have a lot more trouble with the Gorgone than the Ammoconda personally -- the poison trail is annoying to deal with and her spray that fills in the missing bullets as it goes catches me all the time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, this game is fun.

That said, I kinda miss YV and his gratuitous airhorn button from Nuclear Throne. :v:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I rescued a blue bullet looking thing with a mustache on the second floor, when back to the main floor and hes nowhere to be found. What exactly did I unlock?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How the hell do I fight the Door Lord boss on the second floor. I just got completely annihilated by the thing. :psyduck:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zaggitz posted:

I rescued a blue bullet looking thing with a mustache on the second floor, when back to the main floor and hes nowhere to be found. What exactly did I unlock?

He shows up on the odd occasion attached to the shop. He sells items that buff blanks.

E: One thing I'm not sure I like about this game is how sparse a lot of encounters are. It usually takes many runs just to see the consequences of some of your cage unlocks, and oftentimes you can't afford whatever they're selling. It feels kind of like a cheap version of "run variety". Especially since the first few times you see them you almost feel obligated to gimp your run on a dice roll on a new item that usually ends up not being what you need.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 6, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well I beat the final boss, the gun that can kill the past is pretty amazing. I got two speed upgrades and an item that gave me health on kill sometimes and that's probably the only reason I managed to win.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The dumbest gun I've found so far (besides the lower case r) is a giant ant that first shoots bouncing shotgun pellets that spill some kind of liquid everywhere, then sometimes instead shoots two large fireballs that set everything on fire.

I've got video. I love this game.

E: This is that gun. Don't click if you don't want to see an amazing gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPx4PXJAPE

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 6, 2016

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

CJacobs posted:

I enjoy this game's references to Bloodborne in the lore blurbs. I've noticed a couple of others here and there, like the shield quotes Bloodborne's shield's description for example. Someone apparently is a fan. :v:

The lead developer skyped into CobaltStreak and Richard Hammer's streams while they were doing a preview marathon, he loves the Souls games and they're what led him to name his studio Dodgeroll Games. :v: The Old Knight's Flask is another pretty overt Souls reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

That thing you can sometimes sell stuff to in the shop pays you 50 odd currency for trash, that's pretty great.