Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Someone make an emoticon of the Dark Souls knight wearing a cowboy hat and saying Git Gud but the d in gud is replaced with an n, tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

as someone who did not like BoI particularly for the tiny rooms and tedious fire rate, I already love this game. Only played it for a bit last night and only tried one new gun, a fuckin bow and arrow which did no favors against fast dudes. how many gun items are usually on each floor?

I've gotten everywhere between zero and, like, seven.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Maybe I'm nuts but I absolutely hate the Pilot and really like the Convict. The Pilot's sidearm is horribly inaccurate and it's the only offense he has at the start; he's really reliant on finding good stuff in chests or getting something good in the shop if you don't want to clumsily pew pew everything to death with his crappy phaser for two floors.

The Convict encourages a kind of berserker hit-and-run playstyle but it works really well for her. Molotovs are quite handy until you score a better usable item, her sidearm is perfectly fine for the first couple of floors, and the sawed-off ruins early enemies up close. Her main disadvantage is that her starting weapon loadout has a lot of trouble against bosses, but if she finds a halfway decent gun in the Gungeon, her enraging photo really comes into its own in hard boss fights (the Stinger, or a similarly hard-hitting Bossfight Gun, will absolutely pulverize basically anything while she's enraged).

e: Marine and Hunter are definitely the best all-around, general-purpose Gungeoneers though. The Marine is the ultimate offensive generalist with his excellent sidearm, free armour point, free reload, and improved accuracy and reloads, while the Hunter's crossbow is very reliable and her chance to find extra stuff never stops being useful at any point (and her sidearm is actually pretty drat solid).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 6, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Last night, I went on easily my best run ever. Playing as the Hunter, I:

- entered the Oubliette for the first time, armed with only my crossbow and a T-shirt cannon

- cleared the Oubliette and walked out with that insane Crescent Moon crossbow, the M1911, and the garbage gun, plus some kind of magic candy that boosted my speed and damage

- bought a jetpack and became Unreasonably Fast

- met the Treadnought for the first time, defeated it, and reached area 4 for the first time

- cleared every room in area 4 and fought the Kill Pillars, bringing the final pillar to like 10% health before weaving when I should have ducked and eating poo poo

On the immediately subsequent run, I learned an important thing: don't do the Oubliette if you managed to curse yourself using one of those treasure mirror things. Trust me on this. Cursed Oubliette enemies are no joke :gonk:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 7, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you kill the Bullet King without hitting his herald, then walk into the herald while he's kneeling on the floor grieving or whatever, he inexplicably dies and drops some money.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I hope this game ends up getting solid mod support. I would love to occasionally cut loose and run around the Gungeon blowing poo poo up as one of 20 completely out-of-place mod Gungeoneers with a vast array of even more ridiculous guns. JC Denton wielding his hand doing a finger gun gesture and going "bang bang" with his mouth while things mysteriously die. Link shooting a dude with the plasma rifle from Fallout. Melody from Crypt of the Necrodancer strumming a wall of music-note bullets at everything with her Golden Lute.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Don't try this with the Beholster's buddies, they'll actually hurt you if you walk into them even though they're just sitting there crying.

It should work this way with every enemy tbh, if you're gonna brutally murder someone in cold blood you can do it with a gun like a proper psychopathic Gungeoneer or you can get hosed :colbert:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So is there any special benefit to beating the alt level bosses without getting hit?

I'm pretty sure you get extra drops - more money, more health/armour/ammo, etc. - for beating any boss flawlessly. You don't get an extra item or a Mastery thingy, though (at least for the Oubliette boss).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Treadnought would be a really good boss without those loving lovely minions it spams everywhere, but it has those loving lovely minions it spams everywhere, so instead it's the worst boss in the game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I finally beat the Wallmonger and reached the 5th floor for the first time. That floor is a shitshow, but I was able to get through it and face the boss. I got him to about 5% health and then angled a dodge wrong and ate poo poo. That was an amazing run - I found the Vulcan Cannon on the first floor and it absolutely ruined every boss I pointed it at, especially once the Gunsling King gave me Fat Bullets for clearing an entire room using only the Pea Shooter.

I'm not even upset about dying that close to beating the boss - it was absolutely my own fuckup that killed me, and I've seen his patterns now, so next time, I'll be ready. I got the Cosmic Gunpowder or whatever to the blacksmith, too, so now I never need to worry about making GBS threads up an item slot with that thing again :buddy:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I just got a shrine effect that halved my total ammo count. Instant game over pretty much.

Was that from the Icosahedrus shrine or whatever, the 20-sided die one? That shrine can do some seriously crazy poo poo. I've heard people say it can just flat out kill you sometimes. Don't use that thing unless you like livin' on the edge.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The only time I ever used it, it gave me a full reload in exchange for no side effects. It was on the first floor, I was the Pilot, and I hadn't found any guns. :geno:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly, you should be able to just blast the grille off of the fireplace and then dive into it to mash the button in exchange for burning the poo poo out of yourself. If you wanna do the Oubliette that badly, you can do it with burn injuries :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I have died almost 60 times and only reached zone 5 once. This is a good, fun game and I look forward to dying in it some more.

The only character whose starting gun loadout is legitimately awful to do the first floor or two with is the Pilot. Jesus his pistol sucks poo poo. He becomes pretty insane later, though, thanks to his increased ammo capacity, shop discount, and lockpicks.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 10, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly, if the devs just made one of the floor 1 chests an immediately recognizable "gun chest" that always contained Gun (probably moderately lovely Gun but Gun all the same), people would probably complain less. Even if the Gun was almost always worse than any starting weapon other than the Pilot's awful piece of poo poo.

It's largely psychological, is what I'm saying. :smug:

I think this game is in a decent place, honestly. Some minor tweaking to make a couple of the bosses less egregiously out of line with their same-floor siblings, a couple passes to make the first few floors a little less prone to RNG cruelty, and we're golden.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 10, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

With Cog of Battle I really wish the attack key would also trigger the active reload.

Strongly agreed. I actually dislike that item because it distracts me - I usually double-tap the last shot to start reloading immediately and then dodge-roll until I'm done loading, and trying to relocate my fingers to get the active reload fucks me up half the time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kill Pillars are the only chamber 4 boss I haven't managed to beat yet. High Priest is a fucker but if you're decent at dodging and willing to carefully walk between bullets when possible, most of his patterns are fairly manageable. The Kill Pillars are just a relentless clusterfuck and I always end up mistiming a dodge and eating poo poo.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The High Priest's bullets are telegraphed though?? There's a sound and a flash of light at the location a burst is about to appear.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The lowercase r is pretty good for spraying at annoying enemies like gunjurors and books from a distance while concentrating on evasion, since its bursts are reasonably accurate and it can keep up a sustained barrage until they eat poo poo. The Unfinished Gun is not great but I think it has decent range and clip size, so it might have a use depending on your character. The Pea Shooter is just Bad though. IMO your Coolness stat should go up, like, twice as fast when you kill stuff with it.

Even really bad guns are worth carrying around so you have something to sell to the sewer friend, give to a Muncher, or sacrifice at a shrine. The only guns I can't stand using at all are ones with fucky bullet aiming properties like the Tearjerker or Origuni. I can't hit poo poo with those.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Coolness should be affected by things like accuracy, flipping tables, dodging damage, and getting trap kills. It would be cool if there was a certain number of coolness goals in each room (or certain rooms at least) that you could go for and you get a room rating or something and a guaranteed drop of some sort if you hit those coolness goals.

I dunno, there's a lot to focus on already and adding weird bonus objectives would probably further frustrate a lot of players. The Coolness system seems like it could benefit from helping struggling players as well, in some way - maybe the game could keep track of your health and items/guns as the game progresses, and if it detects that you're having lovely luck or are consistently at low health, it could apply increasing multipliers to your Coolness build so that repeatedly pulling your own rear end out of the fire through sheer stubborn badassery results in a minor glut of extra stuff until you either a) die or b) claw your way out of trouble enough that the game says "ok you have a few guns now and are no longer at an average of 1 heart at every room clear, good job lil bullet" and normalizes your Coolness gains.

Nothing is cooler than a badly outmatched underdog who considers the odds, gets pissed, plants their feet on the ground, and shoots the odds in the god drat face.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 11, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah keys are way too uncommon for how prone the game is to randomly sticking shops and other stuff behind locked doors. I cannot even imagine ever having a good reason to buy anything from the door merchant guy who takes keys instead of money.

e: just make one ammo box and one key be guaranteed boss drops on top of whatever other stuff you randomly get, imho.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Did I? The knights are dull to fight because they're trivially easy but they have a lot of HP so it takes a long time to get past them(relatively speaking). What exactly am I wrong about, here?

The knights take like 15 seconds to kill at most, though :confused:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, that's too long for an easy enemy in a shooty action game. 15 seconds is a long time in this context.

Digirat posted:

15 seconds doesn't sound like a lot on paper, but it's 15 seconds of clicking with the most unfun gun in the game every time one of these enemies appears, and if you use anything else you will wish you had used the slow boring gun instead when you run out of ammo on floor 4 because the game never gave you a single ammo box. It's not just this enemy, it's symptomatic of a larger problem.

OK. I mean, I really don't feel it's a big deal at all and I think maybe you folks are kind of fixating on a really minor thing because the game plays a little differently than you hoped it would, but OK.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

13/f/cali posted:

There are some things I don't like mechanically about this otherwise great game, but every time those things get me down I think back to Isaac and am glad that this is not a game about spiders that spawn more spiders with no windup or cooldown.

I like that this isn't a game about babies crying in poop abortion hell

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The best character is very clearly the Hunter's dog.

e: has anyone else managed to kill the Reaper yet? I was not expecting a stray shot from the Hexagun to turn it into a chicken, particularly not while it was floating ominously over a pit. The game didn't offer any reward or acknowledgement for it, sadly :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 12, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

thehoodie posted:

Best NPC is helmet girl whose helmet you can keep kicking down the hole. Is there any payoff at the end of that?

After doing that and then rescuing the NPC again three times, you get a funny bit of dialogue and unlock a new item.

I like that they took the time to animate different, increasingly exasperated reactions and facial expressions for each time you kick the helmet in.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jibo posted:

Boy howdy am I tired of flawlessling entire floors and still not getting a single key drop. There needs to be a way to convert all these drat hearts into keys.

Also I have not yet seen Beholdster in the 12+ runs I've had since unlocking the quest to kill him (her?) three times.

That's amazingly bad luck. I got the quest to hunt the Beholster and then got Beholster as my zone 2 boss three times in a row :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

They've already made some tweaks, and I'll be very surprised if they don't take steps to iron out the extreme edges of the RNG a little.

Speaking of the tweaks they've made, Treadnought seems just about perfect now. Nerfing its main cannon a bit and stripping its adds of their leading-shot AI seems to have brought it enormously more in line with the other bosses for its level; I fought it the other night and actually managed to flawless it, but only after a fairly tense and challenging fight with a couple of close calls (which is just right imo).

e: I think I figured out what people find so frustrating about the High Priest. He doesn't spawn bullets inside you, but the bullets that spawn from the walls can be really hard to avoid if you're not sticking to the middle of the room. Which would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that the High Priest a) is entirely willing to use his little dash thingy to bodyslam you, and b) occasionally parks in the middle of the room to turn everything around him into bullets. The fight has a constant pattern that strongly encourages avoiding the walls, but a couple of patterns that will gently caress you up if you're not willing to get near the walls to maintain a healthy distance.

Personally, I think it would be fine if the walls only shot bullets while the High Priest was at the outside edge of the arena. That way, you could retreat to the outside when he's in the middle, and move to the middle when he gets near the walls. It'd still be a hard as gently caress fight, but it would probably feel a lot more fair.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 13, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think this game is good and fun. I agree that resource availability needs another look. I think it's hilarious and a little nuts how bitter a couple of posters seem to be over playing a game they didn't like as much as they hoped they would. I also think gitting gud is a requirement for this game but anyone who uses that as a response to feedback is being a piece of poo poo.

In conclusion, I like this game a lot, but I like this thread only a little bit, because it is only 50% crazy gun roguelike and 50% Binding of Isaac and salt.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Why :negative:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think the Bullet King is also specifically immune to being set on fire, for some reason.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Holy poo poo I did not expect Bundle of Wands to be as outrageously powerful as it is :aaaaa:

Yeah, that thing is a loving nightmare, it's amazing. Try opening up on Treadnought or some other beefy boss with it; it carves a respectable chunk off the lifebar with every blast. :stare:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I believe someone else in this thread mentioned that you get a permanent passive damage bonus along with the curse point, presumably because you have gone on a rampage to avenge your fallen partner.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The crossbow also has high base damage, so yeah, anything that buffs it will see it one-shotting basic enemies all over the place for most of the game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Could you not just go into the map menu and drop them like you would any other passive item? Or are they simply undroppable?

IMO if the Cultist gathers all the Bullet parts in one run, both players should be drawn into the Cultist's past, which turns out to be Player 1's past with the added revelation that the Cultist turned out to be vaguely nearby experiencing some irrelevantly minor incident that they desperately wish to undo. Then if you win the P1 character kills their past in the process of helping the Cultist get a refund from CostCo or whatever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Don't question it, just live fast, die young, and leave a massive trail of destruction.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Waffle! posted:

I almost beat the Dragun. The Bundle of Wands carries hard! It turns out you can hex the daggers he throws into the walls to take some of the pressure off. I found out you don't have to shoot chickens either, you can just walk into them and get money. Except for the cursed chickens, because they're bastards. If I get any of the hex weapons early, I'm not even going to touch them until at least the 4th floor. So OP.

You can also hex Death with a little luck, and possibly even the Lord of the Jammed who follows you around when you're extremely cursed. I don't know if they're similar enemies or not but the grim reaper looking dude who shows up on floor 4 can most definitely be turned into a chicken.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

NeonCowboy posted:

Don't be dense. Having 47 out of 48 achievements is a nuisance and you know it.

Obsessively playing a game you clearly don't like (anymore, or to begin with as the case may be), solely for the sake of completionism, is ridiculous and bad and you are objectively the one responsible for any lack of enjoyment derived from your own leisure time. Hope this helps

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Charmed Bow is actually pretty good, just not as a means of killing things directly. You can get a lot of mileage out of it by walking into every room with it fully drawn and immediately shooting the scariest/most annoying enemy you see to charm them on the spot, giving you more breathing room to reposition while the monsters fight each other. It's also great in one-on-one fights against obnoxious enemies like Lead Maidens since they'll just kinda wander around while they're charmed. If you use it exclusively for the charm effect, it can make things a lot easier on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I'm not totally sure what to tell you. It virtually always charms for me as long as I make sure it's fully drawn. I've definitely charmed everything from the giant screaming heads to the golden laser skeletons and Jammed zombie summons with it, too. :confused: