Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just did a run with the Mahonguny, and it's definitely my favorite weapon so far. Pretty much the same damage/accuracy as the crossbow which is a weapon that I already like a lot, except it holds like 10 shots instead of 1, and you get a whopping 350 total ammunition which is never ever gonna run out. Also shoots out a few lovely extra projectiles in a shotgun spread, which is an okay bonus I guess. Maybe it isn't as good if you aren't playing as the Marine though, I dunno. I haven't gotten a sense of how significant his accuracy bonus is.

Wish I knew how to find secret rooms reliably, like in Isaac. The single one that I found by accident had some pretty rad stuff inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Floor 3 bosses are loving rough compared to the previous floors. I haven't even come close to killing any of them yet.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Vargs posted:

Floor 3 bosses are loving rough compared to the previous floors. I haven't even come close to killing any of them yet.

Immediately after posting this I finally beat that loving skull. Time to check out floor 4 with half a heart. And it was on the run where I never spent any keys or money since I wanted to unlock that lift thing (looks like you can't turn in your 3 keys + 150 bullets once you go down to floor 3 btw, which is bullshit and I dunno how you're meant to make that much by floor 2)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Harlock posted:

The Iron Maiden enemy is the worst in the game, always ruins my runs

I was in a room with 3 of them at once.

I died.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

What characters have you guys been using? I really like the Marine and Hunter. Marine's accuracy bonus is great, he has by far the best sidearm imo, and the free ammo refill + armor are nice little bonuses. Hunter gets the dog which really helps out with keys/hearts and the crossbow is a fantastic, ammo-efficient weapon that tears apart the first couple floors and remains decent afterwards. Marine/Hunter look the best too imo.

Pilot is just as good, but I personally enjoy the other two more. Convict seems like utter trash. The sawed-off is garbage, the damage boost when hit is garbage, and the molotov isn't anywhere near good enough to make up for what she's lacking compared to other characters. Her pistol blows too.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

I've actually been enjoying Convict and Marine the most. Sure, the molotov is kinda poo poo most of the time, but occasionally useful. The shotgun is pretty nice until you replace it with something better and it's not like it's hard to get close-ish to the early enemies anyway. Shoot them in the face, problem solved!

Alternatively, hit enemies from across the entire room with a super accurate crossbow bolt that does just as much damage as a point blank shotgun blast, while having a way better passive and a better sidearm. I hope the Convict ends up getting some buffs because I just don't see any reason to use her in a game as hard as this.

So I just made it to a floor 4 boss. Died, but it seemed way easier than that loving floor 3 tank. Trigger Twins/Ammoconda/Treadnaught are all definitely the toughest bosses for their respective floors, imo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jetamo posted:

Lift Things:

My personal advice for the casings/keys is do a run specifically for those, and take the Pilot. Just don't use keys, use your lockpick instead, and just hope you get enough after fighting the second floor's boss.

You could also try the Hunter, which I had better luck with. The dog can dig up keys and you don't need the lockpick's small chance to open chests since you're only doing the first 2 floors where the crossbow is insanely good.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Doesn't it auto-reload?

The crossbow does auto reload, but that reload doesn't start until ~half a second after you fire a bolt. If you double tap, it begins reloading instantly. You get a much higher fire rate this way.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Getting 5 keys and 240 currency down to floor 4 is pretty rough. Got down there once but of course the game never dropped enough keys. Promising runs being stopped dead in their tracks by that loving tank are a huge bummer as well, since there's little chance you're gonna beat him when you've hardly gotten any items, and he comes so late that it feels like a huge waste of time.

I'm not sure which character is best to go with. Since you can't really use keys or money at all, the Pilot seems appealing since he can at least open a few chests, and can get cheaper keys from the shop if absolutely necessary. But I'm finding that even with a few extra free chests, I'm not getting anywhere near enough ammo/weapons and have to resort to my sidearm most of the time, which is absolute loving trash for the Pilot. That thing just cannot hang on floor 3+ at all.

Might start giving Marine or Hunter a shot. The Marine definitely gets the best sidearm which is great when you're using it nearly the entire time, but the Hunter's aint bad either and the extra dog pickups could help keep you alive and ensure that you get enough keys.

I am REALLY not looking forward to that final floor shortcut.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah. Stay on the outer areas and kill all the spawns asap. The grenade bullet stays a while and spews out bullets in a circle, the machineguns on the sides seem to try to keep you in a corridor.

I've been trying this strategy and like every other Treadnaught strategy, it hasn't been working out for me. He creates new enemies so quickly, usually out of your field of vision, and they all have a pretty decent amount of health. If I focus on taking them down I never ever end up damaging the tank because I can't keep up with the spawns. The only winning "strat" I've come across so far is going in with a lot of health, a brokenly overpowered weapon, and going to town on the tank itself.

BJPaskoff posted:

I just watched a Northernlion video where the third floor boss was Cannonbalrog, and it looks a million times easier. I wish I'd gotten a non-Tank boss any time I got to floor 3 at all.

I typically get hit a single time on Cannonbalrog, no matter how lovely my weapon is. Meanwhile I've defeated the tank once. It's ridiculous how much stronger he is for being a same-floor boss.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If you've got a garbage weapon that's worse than your sidearm, or are about to toss a gun into the shop grate/healing statue/etc, it seems ideal to try and find secret rooms with it. But fuuuuck that. I don't care how difficult this game is or how much of an advantage that brings - shooting walls to find secret rooms is way too tedious to ever bother with. I hope people eventually figure out a solid formula for finding exactly where they spawn, like in Isaac. As-is they're in this lovely spot where I feel like I'm crippling myself to avoid extreme tedium.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ufarn posted:

I literally have a death screen with Blockner dying. Dude's the loving bane of my existence. Should have bought another shield.

Take out his backup asap. When he does those wave attacks (similar to the ones his adds create), stay at a decent range and move in one direction around him so that he tries to lead the shot, then immediately double back as soon as he fires. This usually lets you get past each wave without needing to dodge, which is key because I found that the one thing that was really loving me over in that fight was having to dodge through the last wave in his chain, which he punishes heavily with his followup shots.

None of his other attacks are threatening or memorable at all, so as long as you can deal with the wave thing, you should be fine.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

Can anyone tell me how on earth I'm supposed to solve this room? There's a prisoner in the room below me and I've completely explored the level save for the boss. The key for their cell has to be in this room but I have no clue how to solve it.

http://imgur.com/cVmV3Qr

Jump from your minecart to that other minecart. The key isn't there though. You'll get it from the boss.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Treadnaught is a funny boss, because if you get a single speed up upgrade before reaching him, he's trivial.
Still don't usually have trouble with him though, but the High Priest of floor 4 is the loving bane of my existence, and most others seem to think he's the easiest 4th tier boss.

Nah, I'm with you. gently caress that guy. Wall is the easy one imo.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Scrolling is a clumsy way to select weapons. I wish you could just use the number keys. It would still be a little weird since each key would correspond to a different weapon every run, but I'd prefer it regardless.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

I'm trying to grind the elevator shortcuts and getting a ridiculous amount of money and keys is drat near impossible if you don't get a single grate guy to sell poo poo to on floors 1-4.

I had problems with those shortcuts at first, but it's a lot easier if you go ahead and do the first secret floor imo. You've gotta spend 2 keys, but you'll likely find one on the floor and you get so much more money (which can also be used to buy more keys)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've gotten decent at fighting the tank, but he really is some complete bullshit if you don't have a weapon capable of taking out the adds quickly. Which is mostly down to luck. Ammoconda has a similar problem where he becomes ridiculous if you can't destroy the pellets before he eats them, or can't easily outdamage his healing. This one feels a lot less annoying because the threshold for a "good enough" weapon is much lower, though.

Fun and disappointing fact about elevator shortcuts, by the way: The forge one asks you for 6 hearts. I had 7. Turns out it means -full- hearts and not just containers, so you have to grab a ton of +hp items over the course of the run and also finish floor 4 at full health. Ouch.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The challenge dude bet that I couldn't clear the next room using only the Klobb. Considering that I was blazing through the (third) floor with my starting pistol and I had ~3 hearts, I figured it would be a breeze. How bad could this gun be? It was pretty poo poo in Goldeneye, but still workable enough.

Pretty sure that dodgerolling into enemies to deal damage is more effective. The run ended in that room.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Einwand posted:

The best gun is actually the fightsabre, heresy is good and cool and utterly destroys bosses the more bullets they shoot, reflected bullets actually do surprisingly good damage.

The bullet reflection dodge passive is pretty rad too. There are so many situations where you'll dodge and your iframes run out while inside of a bullet, but that reflect causes them to gently caress right off instead. Makes it so much easier to avoid damage than you'd expect it to. It's especially great against those homing skulls since they leave you alone forever once you dodge through em. Bullet reflection owns.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I don't think it's great there. It does a good amount of damage (enough to oneshot most regular enemies), but the charge time is large enough that it probably won't out-damage some of your other weapons. Its main deal is that its AOE is big enough to hit the whole room at once, which ain't too useful when there's only one target to shoot.

And since it hits the whole room using that one combo to shoot 8 at once is probably a great burst of damage to the boss, even if it's not otherwise worth using.

It's good against the tank at least, since it basically makes his extra spawns a non-issue. Probably pretty good against multi-target bosses too, like Trigger Twins or Kill Pillars.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Edit: Also the elevator unlocks... 250 cases and 5 keys, basically pilot only?

I've finished up all of the elevator unlocks and I found that I preferred the Hunter, after initially doing runs with the Pilot. Problem with the Pilot is that even with his occasional extra lockpick loot, you're still gonna spend most of the game using your sidearm since you can't spend money or keys to keep yourself truly rolling in weapons and ammo. And the Pilot's sidearm loving suuuuuuucks super hard. It is utterly crippling for this elevator stuff.

Hunter on the other hand has a very solid sidearm. The dog also gives her extra chances at keys (plus other bonus consumables), making those "I got to the elevator but the game never dropped or sold enough keys" bullshit situations less common. The crossbow is cool too, letting you breeze through floors 1-2 in a way that is much more pleasant than slogging through it with the Pilot's garbage pistol over and over again. It's especially handy if you decide to do the Oubliette, which I think is a good idea even with the 2 key cost.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 10, 2016

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Was there a change recently to R.Rat? It used to be teleporting to a location and then warping back to scare him twice used to keep him out of your poo poo but it doesn't now.

It never did this reliably for me, even on the initial release build. Usually he'd still come back to steal the item a couple minutes later, even after teleporting several times to make sure he isn't showing up anymore. I don't bother with that poo poo anymore.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Did a run as the marine and picked up some passive out of the shop that further improved his already fast reload time. The elephant gun is okay by default, but it becomes incredibly good when you can reload it quickly since it's usually so hampered by only having 2 shots. Toss in the +1 to gun passive, the +1 to gun active, angry bullets (chance for bullets to split), shadow bullets (another chance for bullets to split), and 4 uses of the YV shrine (ANOTHER chance for bullets to split) to get the most satisfying shotgun since the Doom 2 super shotgun. That thing was a ton of fun and I miss it already.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

homeless poster posted:

the only thing that i have issue with right now is that treadnaught seems so much harder than cannonbalrog, it's not even funny. i have never once beat treadnaught, and i've managed to get to it with some decent equipment like double vision + fightsabre or whatever, but his adds make the fight too unpredictable for me.

that, and there's no way to practice against bosses without getting all the way down to them. i would love some kind of boss practice mode (maybe it's an NPC shop you unlock like everything else in the breach) where you can just fight the bosses to figure out what they're about. i've faced each of the level 4 bosses exactly once each, and died fairly early on, and i don't feel like if i fought them again i would really be any better for it because i am getting next to no practice against them.

If you unlock the shortcuts, you can get some decent boss practice in. That's how I really learned the floor 3 and 4 bosses, as I used the elevator shortcuts to do them over and over again in an attempt for a flawless (to unlock the next elevator). I got pretty decent at all of them except maybe the tank, who I still don't think I could flawless without a pretty overpowered weapon.

If you unlock all of the elevators you get something else that would help with boss practice, although by that point you're probably pretty good at fighting them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sloober posted:

I don't understand why they're making secret rooms harder to find, they are such a let down as it is most of the time.

Probably because that method of finding secret rooms was insanely tedious/time-consuming while also always being the correct course of action. I think they're just supposed to be an occasional little bonus that you luck into rather than something you painstakingly seek out.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

NeonCowboy posted:

I'm on the last elevator unlock. I'm not great at games, and unlocking it this far has stretched my skills basically to their limit.

So: Bring the guy six heart containers, according to both him and the wiki.

I figure that I probably can't do it. That will mean flawlessing 3 bosses, or at least 2 and getting an extra heart container from an item.

And then: It happens.

I hit the fourth floor boss - and I am not good at any of the fourth floor bosses - and pray to simply stay alive.

I do. I kill the wall with half a heart left. You cannot imagine how relieved and thrilled I am to have done this.

I get to the fifth floor and fall down the shaft to show the guy my six heart containers.

He implies that they need to be six FULL heart containers.

I minimize the game, open the wiki page, calmly edit it, re-enter the game, and loving kill myself.

That's it for me!

You can do it. I believe in you. Use the floor 4 elevator to work on getting the flawless boss kill mastery item (for the floor 5 elevator). You'll get good enough at floor 4 and its bosses in the process to make the 6 heart objective doable. Buying the many +hp items from the breach will also help.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

The only room I have trouble with Iron Maidens in is the room where there's a bunch of little squares connected to a center rectangle with the maiden in it, and there's a priest in the square just north of the maiden so it's hard to get to while it buffs the maiden.

This room has hosed me literally every single time I've tried to go for the second secret area. Basically never get hit in any other floor 2 room, but this one? Always.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Digirat posted:

As in higher drop rate, more chests per floor, or what

The rat gives you a selection of 3 random weapons right outside the elevator. You get to keep 1 on floor 3, 2 on floor 4, and all of them on floor 5.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tried the infinite keys cheat for a few runs and it does make the game more fun. It does cause the Marine to become by far the best character though, which I'm not such a huge fan of. The Pilot's lockpick and the Hunter's dog aren't anywhere near as valuable when you can open everything no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DolphinCop posted:

i got two completions in a row today, which is solid proof that the people who complain about no ammo are just bad at video games

I'm at the point where I'm pretty much guaranteed to beat the Dragun on every run. Game still needs more key drops.