Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The game appears to have launched a little early on steam, which is like... hey, alright, cool. Much fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have found a gun that is a super soaker that shoots water at such a high velocity that it damages enemies and pushes them back. Later, I found a gigantic duracell battery that shoots gauss chain lightning rounds. Then I died to a waddling bullet with a badass bandana. This game is good so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TacMan posted:

I'm gonna get mad for a second, why don't any of these cool games have online multiplayer?! Is it seriously that hard to get someone to figure out the networking bits?

Yes, it seriously is that hard. Internet connectivity is not something a team of purely game developers can figure out; you need people with pretty specific technological knowledge to get all that stuff to work.

Risk of Rain requires you to open your own internet port dedicated to the game and directly connect to another human being who has opened the same port via your actual IP address. There are no servers, there's no lobby mechanic, it's just connect and go. It's the most hackneyed solution to a problem that is caused by a lack of money and time, and it's a prime example of why indie games don't do online multiplayer. Simply put, it's just too difficult to be worth it unless online multiplayer is the game's main focus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sort of similarly, Spelunky HD itself has the capability for it, but requires a mod to make it actually possible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first secret level kicked my rear end super hard holy poo poo :supaburn:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a bug (?) with the Metronome passive item, that is less a bug and more a game logic flaw in how it works. As you get kills, your current weapon increases in damage/firerate/etc until you either switch guns or get hit. Because the logic the game uses is "the player switched weapons", if you pick up a new gun the current power level transfers over to it because the game switches to new guns automatically.

Also, I found a shotgun called The Blooper which takes a stab at the movie Looper in its description. :haw:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What do I give to the guy that sometimes shows up under the sewer grate in the shops? He wants to be friends and wants to give me money but I don't know how to give him stuff :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a button to drop weapons? :psyduck:

edit: Huh, so there is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I found a pillow that fires off other, smaller pillows which stun enemies when they connect. With an upgrade to firing speed, my pillows basically rocket at lightspeed toward enemies and knock them halfway across the room. :iia:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I enjoy this game's references to Bloodborne in the lore blurbs. I've noticed a couple of others here and there, like the shield quotes Bloodborne's shield's description for example. Someone apparently is a fan. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How the hell do I fight the Door Lord boss on the second floor. I just got completely annihilated by the thing. :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's a secret room and a quest to get from the tutorial ghost?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Tell us more about how you're glad you pirated an indie game, guy who is cool. :nallears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Contrarily, it has worked every single time I've done it. RNG is RNG. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

goferchan posted:

The poo poo you give him persists between runs, you don't have to fulfill all 3 requests at once (or do them in any particular order -- if you have the other items on you, even if you haven't given him 3 blanks, he'll ask you for them)

Yes, but what he means is, presumably he had to go spend some money to get an item to deliver to the guy- only to find out that after delivering the item, he needed the money he spent for the next delivery. If he had known the requirements beforehand, he would have gotten it another way and been able to fulfill both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that the game is a bit too stingy with keys/silver money pickups but I still like it a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel the opposite way in that regard to be honest, I'm probably never going to play Nuclear Throne again because I like this game that much better. The dodge roll is something Nuclear Throne seriously could use.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nebiros posted:

Everyone always forgets about Fish.

Fish can roll, but Fish does not have invincibility frames

edit: Speaking of this game's co-op, does it do Nuclear Throne's stupid lovely thing where you have to revive your partner using your own HP in 5 seconds after they die or you both die, or is it actually good co-op where it's just 2 people playing the videogame?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 7, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm assuming you're talking about the co-op guy, to the right of the player characters in the main hall. He shows up if you have played a couple of single player runs, as well as have at least two control methods plugged in (keyboard and a controller counts). If you talk to him, he becomes the co-op character, which is why they don't talk to him because that's all he does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do wish you could play as him in single player because he has unique equipment, but he's not selectable.

edit: Of course, what you could presumably do is enter co-op by yourself and start a run, then just let the singleplayer character die and continue on as him. I'll have to try that and see what happens.

edit again: Yup, that totally works. The only stigma is that the dead singleplayer character's ghost follows you around, haunting you with the constant reminder of what you've done.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 7, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUflIq_4gNs

I made a video on how to play as the Cultist by yourself, although there aren't many steps to it. So if you do want that, here you go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Golden guns have been in Nuclear Throne since almost the beginning, nearly multiple years ago. Use a screwdriver on the golden car in the junkyard area.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of Nuclear Throne, hey look who it is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FrickenMoron posted:

The game just gave me a duplicate of an active Item I already had and I didnt even get 2 of it (It just disappeared after I picked it up).

The pilot has 2 active item slots.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FrickenMoron posted:

I know. If I tried to pick up other active items it just flipped out one on the floor as it switched out one of the two carrying items but in this case it just vanished into thin air as I picked it up.

Oh, I assumed it went into the other slot and you were unaware of its existence. My mistake.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game had an update a little while ago, any patch notes anywhere?

edit: Found it, they're posted as news updates on gungeoneers.com:

quote:

1.0.2 Changelog
=========================
Fixed a bug which could cause a corrupted save file
Fixed multiple issues which could cause dropped controller inputs or inconsistent controller vibration
Hegemony credits will now be auto-collected if they would otherwise be stuck inside a wall
Fixed an issue where having too much armor could break a shortcut quest
Fixed an issue with the Red Bandana
Respawning with the Clone item after dying in some boss fights will no longer prevent player movement in some directions
Fixed an issue where acing Winchester games could cause the player to be stuck in a conversation

It's just bugfixes, but I've had the hegemony credits thing happen so it's nice that they've fixed that. It will probably be a while before balance changes start rolling out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geokinesis posted:

Also unlocks an item for future playthroughs.

What does putting out the fire do?

Go into the crevice you just opened and hit the use button.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The dude with the beers in the breach also quotes the crestfallen warrior word for word (except ctrl+ f dark souls lore replace gungeon lore) fairly often. There's also the trick gun that is a reference to Bloodborne I posted a while back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heh, the explosive package in the mailbox gun is a literal glitter bomb. :downsrim:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jsor posted:

You drop the TV when you dodge roll, and the rat WILL steal it, but you can pick it up again so you just have to remember before you leave the room (though I'm not sure how this works with rooms where you need to dodge roll to progress, you'd have to pray for a teleporter before the rat dude steals it).

If you 'use' the item your character tosses it, so you can get it across gaps.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that there are a few weapons like the mailbox and the camera that the in-universe explanation for is "it's shaped enough like a gun that the dungeon doesn't really care that it isn't actually a gun, so you can shoot stuff from it"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, the forge level really drives this game's difficulty curve right up a loving mountain. It's still fun and all, but man, the last area was a cakewalk compared to this.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broken Cog posted:

The only surefire way (other than manually going through every room and shooting the walls) seems to be to buy a map. Most of the secret rooms I find are completely by accident, either by randomly using a blank, or by getting hit while having armor in a room with a secret entrance.

I was hoping there would be some way to spot the holes where they would be on your map after a while of playing a la Binding of Isaac and how its secret rooms follow a pattern, but it seems to be completely random where they are placed unfortunately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trick Question posted:

Even Isaac seems faster paced.

It's not. A run of Isaac that takes you to the end of one of the branches takes about 40-ish minutes unless you become crazy OP, which I've found is pretty similar to this game. I do wish the general movement speed was a little bit faster, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really don't like the rat guy as a game mechanic. I can't think of any purpose he serves to the gameplay besides just to be mean to the player. What situation would there be that warrants his inclusion? If the player is willing to backtrack far enough to get an item they left on the ground, which will be unobtainable after going to the next floor anyway, why would you penalize them for it?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your death total is listed underneath the 'YOU DIED' on the game over screen.

edit:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Yeah, the "Basic Enemies from Floor 1 Show up on The Follower Floors but with their Health Increased!!" is poor gameplay design.

Have you ever played a video game before because if not this happens in almost every one of them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Door Lord is some serious horseshit. I can't even begin to understand how to dodge that laser.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I had a boss fight room that had multiple pits in it and all I can think is, why? What's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What happens if you shoot too much in the shop? Does the shopkeeper fight you? Can you kill the shopkeeper? :ohdear: