Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

CJacobs posted:

I enjoy this game's references to Bloodborne in the lore blurbs. I've noticed a couple of others here and there, like the shield quotes Bloodborne's shield's description for example. Someone apparently is a fan. :v:

The lead developer skyped into CobaltStreak and Richard Hammer's streams while they were doing a preview marathon, he loves the Souls games and they're what led him to name his studio Dodgeroll Games. :v: The Old Knight's Flask is another pretty overt Souls reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Einwand posted:

I don't think shooting chests can actually give anything better than a random pickup, but it's still something compared to cursing the game for giving you 0 keys over 3 floors.

The dev actually talked about this on Cobalt or Richard Hammer's stream at some point - the mechanic is shooting a chest has a chance to give you an item from the next quality tier down from that chest - I think it goes brown-green-blue-red-black, but I might have green and blue reversed. So (assuming I have the order right) blowing up a green chest gives you a chance at an item, but one you could've gotten from unlock a brown chest, which can also be a pickup. Blowing up a brown chest gives you a chance at something from the "random pickups" pool instead.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I've just started this, and in the tutorial I've hit this red bouncing bullet thing it seems like I should be able to pick up. But I can't. I've looked through all of the key bindings and I can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me what this is? I can push it around but I can't pick it up.

That would be health - if you look closely at your health bar, you'll see that the hearts are crossed red bullets. If you're at full health, you can't collect it.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

As far as I can tell, the gun muncher doesn't actually take the weapons you put into it into acount, it just spits out a random one.

This question was addressed by a dev during the preview stream marathon: the resulting gun is weighted towards the average rarity level (i.e. what chests you're most likely to find them in) of the two guns you use, plus a little bit of potential swing up or down. So in general putting in rare guns is more likely to get you rare guns, but not in a particularly predictable way.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that a chest has a chance to drop up to the chest level "below" it - so a brown can do non-chest drops, a blue can do browns, a green can do blues, etc. Not sure if that's been substantiated, though.

It was stated by developer Dave Crooks on one of Richard Hammer's preview streams shortly before game release. It's not impossible that he's wrong, but that's the source.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

enojy posted:

I just got this game and I don't get it. I don't get any of it. But it's a ton of fun. I feel like I'm never going to get it. And that's probably just fine.

I'm looking for a beginner's guide that explains some stuff beyond "procedurally generated levels and RNG item drops," but can't find much -- I guess it's too new? How do I spend that currency I've been picking up (the crucifix-looking items?) Those seem to be the only items that persist after death.

Hegemony credits are used to buy unlocks in the Breach. Before you can spend them, you'll need to unlock buddies to buy things from - they're mostly locked in cells in the Gungeon which require a special key found elsewhere on the level to unlock.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

enojy posted:

Ahh, OK, I've come across a few of those so far (I think -- a me-sized girl locked in a cell with a huge robot?) So if I come across something like that, I should scour the level for a key? I've just been bypassing them since I feel like I've completed a level without finding any keys.

If there's a cell, there'll always be a cell key somewhere on the level, although it may drop from the boss. The cell key is different from regular keys and is only for the cell lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

enojy posted:

Who do you sell items to? I don't remember seeing the option at the moustached shopkeeper dude.

Sometimes the shop has a grating in the floor with a little green guy who pokes his head out when you stand near. Drop items on the grating and he'll throw brass out for payment.