Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I really need to stop trying to go to the Oubliette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't even consistently get past floor one.

... Granted, my success rate has dipped dramatically since I started doggedly insisting on wasting my keys on the Oubliette every time. I used to be far better at it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just don't get that goddamn bird boss. Everyone else seems to do fine with him but he wrecks my poo poo. For whatever reason, I find the king way easier which seems to be the opposite of most people.

E: The only exception is if I get the room with the unbreakable columns in the four corners, which means I can just kite him around corners forever.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

goferchan posted:

He even takes the junk you get from breaking chests

Junk is actually very, very slightly useful, because there's a weapon that scales with how much junk you have. That's probably why.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know there's an item called Wax Wings that straight up gives you flight, though requiring that seems like a lot of luck.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zaggitz posted:

I rescued a blue bullet looking thing with a mustache on the second floor, when back to the main floor and hes nowhere to be found. What exactly did I unlock?

He shows up on the odd occasion attached to the shop. He sells items that buff blanks.

E: One thing I'm not sure I like about this game is how sparse a lot of encounters are. It usually takes many runs just to see the consequences of some of your cage unlocks, and oftentimes you can't afford whatever they're selling. It feels kind of like a cheap version of "run variety". Especially since the first few times you see them you almost feel obligated to gimp your run on a dice roll on a new item that usually ends up not being what you need.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 6, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So on my first run I perfected Gattling Gull and got the master round thing

I proceeded to get dominated by the stupidest poo poo in the world but I capped it all off by having a half a heart left. A room to my left just had a free blank and a full heart and above me was a shopkeeper. "Sweet a free heart"

I ran in, fell in a hole and died because my screens brightness was so low I couldn't tell there was a pit. I'm so upset with myself.

It's fine. The first time I got to floor 3 I had half a heart, perfected like 4 tough rooms in a row, and then promptly walked straight into a sawblade.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

manyak posted:

Has anyone been playing this local co-op and is it any good? I only want to get this to play couch co op pretty much on PS4

I'm gonna have a friend over today to try it out. I'm on PC though so it's partially dependent on how well we can get my controller working.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Another thing I don't like about this game the most is that you can pretty much perfect the first floor and still go into the first boss with nothing notable. This can happen in Isaac too, but it happens far less, and it's also compensated for by the fact that except maybe The Haunt fighting a first floor Isaac boss with base damage isn't that annoying. I mean, I've flawlessed all 3 first floor bosses with the Pilot's sidearm, so it's possible, but it's a real pain.

You also don't have to worry about not taking damage until floor 2 in Isaac when you have more tools.

I think another big design flaw here is the Hegemony Credit system. On one hand unlocks are way less luck based, but on the other hand Isaac just wants you to try your hardest to progress, and it rewards you for progressing in different ways. Then it gradually peels back the layers as you get better and better, giving you more opportunities. This game instead endeavors to just be a mountain of diamond you sharpen your beak on until the first second of eternity passes.

Lakbay posted:

If you complete the level skip elevator and use it, does the game give you a better starting loadout? I can't imagine skippings floors 1 and 2 for example because the difficulty spike is so high in floor 3+ and I couldn't even imagine how much harder it would be with just the starting weapons.

The wiki says that rat jerk gives you three free guns on the lower floors if you skip to them.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

parthenocarpy posted:

Which weapon? Blunderbuss by any chance? Trash cannon?

Trash cannon, which you unlock by visiting the place that practically requires you to break chests and get junk.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Wait you can drop passives!?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just threw my run and sold a gun, though the grate guy being available is also rng.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So since people have been comparing this to other games, has anyone tried Good Robot? (The other bullet hell roguelite that came out the same day).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Okay, it looks like if you use the shortcut to floor 2, you can drop into the elevator shaft to get the Broken Monitor which, if you take it to level 5 you can apparently unlock a character. I haven't actually managed the latter part, I only found the TV.

You drop the TV when you dodge roll, and the rat WILL steal it, but you can pick it up again so you just have to remember before you leave the room (though I'm not sure how this works with rooms where you need to dodge roll to progress, you'd have to pray for a teleporter before the rat dude steals it).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone know what beastmode does? I turned it on and the enemies take the same amount of shots to kill & don't seem to be more aggressive or do more damage. They drop more money though I think?

After Googling around, it appears the answer is "it's a joke", and its only effect is to give you an achievement and unlock a gun.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DatonKallandor posted:

You literally can.

Also, you can hold control and slow time to a crawl to give you time to think about weapon selection.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Um, excuse me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Koburn posted:

Almost 80 hours played and this post made me search 'gungeon drop passive.' That knowledge would have been real useful on my recent Clone run that was ruined by the Bloodied Scarf.

I actually knew about it because of the cute little grate guy you can sell to, but I'm always too attached to my passives because I'm terrified I'll drop it and then like, next floor get a gun or another passive that combos and makes the run broken.