Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Einwand posted:

Man, some of the gimmick guns are just, really really bad against bosses. I think the most effective gun I've found so far was just a boring revolver.
The prototype railgun kills the poo poo out of every boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
After trying it for a little bit I think playing on controller is mildly worse because you can't aim as finely. Not hugely, but noticeably.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kooriken posted:

Game is good. Found a couple guns/items that were references to other things. A gun that shoots bouncing, piercing sawblades that was a reference to Super Meat Boy and the "Cog of Battle" which gives you active reload ala Gears of War.
There's also this:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stoat posted:

This game is hella fun but also p hard.

My questions are:

1. What does the camera do?
2. I'm using the starting gun as much as possible to save ammo. Is that a good strategy / needed?
The camera is a charge weapon that damages everything in the room at once. It's dope on big rooms with tons of enemies

Switch away from starting gun whenever you feel threatened/boxed in, it's not worth saving ammo if you take damage.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you get electric bullets+the beholdster gun you get lightning arcs between each of your eyeball summons, instead of between your shots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NthbgCNpq4

I'll agree with most of what's been said about this game vs. NT. Despite having really good gamefeel for the most part, sometimes it can be a bit sluggish/slow, and sometimes it can be quite RNG heavy. One of the best things about NT is that enemies(and most bosses) really don't have much HP at all, it doesn't ever take a long time to kill individual enemies. You kill stuff very fast, but also stuff kills you very fast, and later on there's a lot of stuff, so kill speed still matters a lot. Which is why I recorded this-it's something which is tough to do, but it can still be fun to take on a later boss with a wimpy starting weapon like this and it doesn't take forever(which is why I stuck 10 clips together). Since you can get by everything preloop(aka pre postgame content) just fine with starting weapons, weapon RNG doesn't matter as much since you have a long long time where you can wait for better weapons. And on top of that, you're guaranteed at least 1 weapon every floor. No keys or other bullshit required. Gungeon is a game which streamlines a lot of BoI immensely, on top of having better bosses and generally better enemies as well, and for that I like it a lot(a lot more than Isaac), but I wish this whole genre of games would just do away with needing keys to get items. In NT you just open weapon and ammo boxes for free, and it's better off for it. Hell, even when you get into every item room in Isaac/every chest in Gungeon you can still end up underpowered due to getting bad stuff from them, so it really feels like a pointless mechanic-it's not really holding the player back for the sake of balance. Managing keys feels like busywork in all these games to me.

However, all that said: I have put roughly 500 hours of gametime into Nuclear Throne. I have unlocked the b-skins on every character, I have unlocked every crown on every character, I have gotten every single achievement, I have gotten to loop 3, I have been on the top 10 in the dailies repeatedly. I'm burnt out on it and I'm moving on. Gungeon is not as good as NT in my opinion but it's a new, different game that is quite good and that's more than enough for me right now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually like it when enemy projectiles have uniform color, and I have had no problems with not understanding what bullets were doing thus far.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
People keep talking about Gorgun having bullets that spawn out of nowhere but I've never seen them and I've fought(+perfected) her a bunch of times now. Is it only when you're really far away?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FrickenMoron posted:

Just make Nuclear Throne with 60 fps and a last boss ending the run, thanks. Maybe this game could benefit from splitting the levels up in smaller stages and only a boss every 2 levels?
Looping is optional in NT. if you kill the throne without destroying the generators your run just ends. You can also end your run by going for a secret final boss on loop, Captain, by getting in an IDPD van right when it stops.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRhS8hIF_jM
as god intended :clint:

DolphinCop posted:

i accidentally kicked the goblin's helmet into the gungeon. sorry goblin....
When you do this he has to go down after it, which means he gets stuck in a cell again and you have to rescue him :madmax:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

Have you ever played a video game before because if not this happens in almost every one of them
That's not even close to true.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vargs posted:

Scrolling is a clumsy way to select weapons. I wish you could just use the number keys. It would still be a little weird since each key would correspond to a different weapon every run, but I'd prefer it regardless.
You can use the number keys, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah. It's pretty neat to have a popular polished game in this genre that isn't all poo and dead fetuses

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

de la peche posted:

Well I think this game is really good, I'm happy with the starting weapons, I have fun playing and I don't get upset when I have a bad run because there's always another one. I guess some of the people who are quitting need a game that will let them win, as opposed to a game where you might have to overcome some long odds to win. Waaaaaa it's so unfair.
I think it's a very good game but you've totally missed what people are complaining about if this is what you took away from it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

voltcatfish posted:

Is this game really harder than nuclear throne?
When you loop in Nuclear Throne, which is the norm for good players, the game gets harder and harder endlessly until you inevitably die. so no. beating the throne is easier but that's basically like the "the real dark souls starts here" of NT

Underwhelmed posted:

There are at least half a dozen different ways to put out that fire, a barrel isn't the only way. Pretty much anything that shoots water or ice will do it.
Weapons that shoot water or ice are rare in this game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Oxxidation posted:

The Siren is pretty common (and a decent shotgun to boot).
No individual weapon is 'common' in the context of 'getting it by the end of floor 1'. Not enough that you can bet on it, anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry Diplomat posted:

Honestly, you should be able to just blast the grille off of the fireplace and then dive into it to mash the button in exchange for burning the poo poo out of yourself. If you wanna do the Oubliette that badly, you can do it with burn injuries :v:
You should be able to put out the fire with a blank.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you don't get hit on a boss fight(any boss fight) you get an HP up as well as the 1 random item you always get.

Getting hit while you have armor still counts as getting hit, fwiw.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The green guy in the shop grate wants any item. You can drop guns by holding some button(check your bindings I guess I forget what the default is) and also you can drop other items from your map screen. Whatever gets dropped on his grate falls into it and he gives you money.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unlucky7 posted:

I never played Nuclear Throne. Is that worth getting into? How is it different from this game?
Nuclear Throne is entirely focused around murdering things. You aren't going from room to room exploring(each level is just one area of a randomized shape) and the only resources are rads(aka XP for leveling), ammo(which is plentiful and drops more the less you have so going nutso aggressive is encouraged), and HP-no keys or anything, you just spawn into a level and either kill everything or die. It's balls hard but once you get good at it it's also very fair(always get 1 new weapon each level, and you can skip weapons chests to get bigger weapons chests later when the weapon pool is better) and once you're good you'll pretty much always beat the throne-but once you get past the throne, the game turns into a score attack thing where you try and get as far as possible before dying. It has dailies with leaderboards and a fairly active score attack scene for that if that's what you like. The bare minimum for "beating" the game is easier than Gungeon but since looping gets harder until you die it'll scale up to you eventually no matter how good you are.

Also as I said earlier, enemies in NT are very low HP but so are you. You have 8 HP by default, and most attacks do 3 damage or more-and there are only 2 mutations which increase the amount of hits you can take before dying. It gets real twitchy later on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Once you learn his patterns lil hunter is both fair and fun.

RoboCicero posted:

e: he's a extremely good example of a boss where players either delete him when he shows up or dies without really understanding why -- gungeon doesn't have this problem as much with the bosses, and moreso with the progression.
This isn't really true. You only kill him really fast if you're quite lucky with weapon drops(super slugger, for example), but all the good players make it past him most of the time anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you're calm when facing the Iron Maidens they become a lot easier. Though of course this applies to a lot of bullet hell stuff(don't move more than you need to).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The best thing about the Hunter is the mechanic in this game where weapons reload themselves if you're switched away from them as long as their reload time(like the flare gun/crusader's crossbow in tf2). So you can whip out the crossbow and fire, then switch back to your revolver and unload it and by the time you've done that you can switch back to the crossbow and fire off another already without reloading. She's not the best but she's very fun for rolling through the early floors because of this.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Probably also because of the problems this thread has already repeatedly been over on top of that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

DolphinCop posted:

it's extremely clear. there's even a sign with a downward arrow
Why would I assume that means I need to jump down the pit? I figured it just was for flavor, like "here's where the elevator goes". It's kind of a big jump in logic to assume you gotta jump down a hole that anywhere else in the game would deal damage to you

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If I don't know a dude is down a hole I am not gonna jump down it when holes hurt you literally everywhere else in the game. Putting an arrow next to it isn't really enough put me at ease without prior knowledge of how it works

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CJacobs posted:

If you're not even willing to try it to see what happens, in a game you already know has multiple secret levels and paths hidden in plain sight, that's not really the game's fault. You lose, at most, half a heart of health from trying it. If you just never thought to do it, that's one thing, but deciding you aren't going to try it to see what happens is your fault.
Right, I'm saying I never thought to do it because jumping into a hole in this game didn't make sense to me, arrows or not.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Pumpkinreaper posted:

How often you get hit only affects room drops, so you could as likely get a heart as you would a chest/key. It doesn't affect what rarity and amount of chests you get in a stage.
Yo need to get keys to open those, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Impermanent posted:

If you think floor 1 knights are anything but a money pinata then you just haven't really grokked the game yet. And I don't mean like "get gud" or anything. It's literally impossible to be hit by those guys if you just circle strafe them.
They are, however, a great example of a very dull enemy. They're piss easy so you have no reason to use anything but your starting weapon on them, but it takes like around 20 shots or something to kill them. Shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload, shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot, reload...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stanley Pain posted:

God these bosses in this jRPG are so annoying. Fight, Fight, Magic, Fight, Fight, Cure, Magic, Fight, Fight....:rolleye:

God these creatures in this ARPG are sooo dull, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click... :rolleye:

God these XXXXs are Sooo YYYY, ZZZ, ZZZ, ZZZ... :derp:
Many JRPGs and ARPGs are pretty bad, yes-except for the JRPGs which feature many clever ways to get around boss battles besides just mindlessly attacking, and ARPGs which require you to choose your targets carefully and pay attention to your currently active skills. What's the point of this strawman? I'm obviously not saying that anything that makes you repeat an action is bad, I'm saying that an enemy which is very easy to dodge but takes a long time to kill is boring/annoying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ghetto Prince posted:

A little green blob dude crawled out of a grate in the shop and asked for something for "the collection" and said he'd compensate me. What am I supposed to do here?
Drop items down into his grate. You can drop guns with whatever key that's currently bound to, and you can drop other items from the map screen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm glad you missed the point...
Did I? The knights are dull to fight because they're trivially easy but they have a lot of HP so it takes a long time to get past them(relatively speaking). What exactly am I wrong about, here?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry Diplomat posted:

The knights take like 15 seconds to kill at most, though :confused:
Yes, that's too long for an easy enemy in a shooty action game. 15 seconds is a long time in this context.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

de la peche posted:

The knights are 15 seconds. Oh no! You might have a bad run! Oh no! Often the run is mean! Oh no!

BoI is way worse to players to this, until you unlock a load of items. I accept this game should be more transparent about the fact if you're not crazy good you need to play a lot to unlock cool stuff, but gently caress. People seem to be moaning about the most basic of things. No keys one run? Work around it. Few guns? Try again, get as many unlocks as you can. Who cares? It's a roguelike, and it is literally built around you playing again and again. I've only managed to beat the Dragun twice in 60 deaths , I am getting hosed over regularly, and it is nearly always my fault for not dodging bullets correctly. You dudes need to get REAL BEEFY.
BoI is arguably easier when you haven't unlocked much stuff, because there's a lot of really good(albeit kinda dull) items in the initial item pool.

I don't think you've been paying attention if all you've gotten out of this discussion is "some people are bad and crying about it". You may notice that nowhere in my complaint about the knights am I bitching about losing, in fact my whole point is that the enemy is very easy and yet takes a long time to kill, which is annoying. I am not talking about the difficulty of the game(that is, in fact, one of my favorite parts! I'm hugely fond of the bullet hell influences(from the more interesting attack patterns than isaac to the blanks, which are a very bullet hell mechanic), what I'm criticizing is the pace of the game. It's a good game that for some reason scales enemy HP per level, gives some easy enemies deep HP pools, and heavily incentivizes you to use primarily your boring slow weapon for the first 60% or so of the game on top of making good guns kind of a pain to get a lot of the time because they're in chests locked by keys which you often don't have.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 12, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, same.

Perfected the Treadnaut today:

Almost perfected the high priest too, but he hit me once during one of the dark segments :argh:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 12, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also I perfected Ammoconda, but I forgot because I was more excited about perfecting Treadnaut :haw:

I hadn't realized you could actually destroy the eggs before, they didn't seem like they were taking damage for some reason. Maybe just because they're kinda beefy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I think Angry Bullets is one of the ones you gotta buy and if you haven't you should, it's dope

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Justin_Brett posted:

Does getting hit when you have armor count as being hit against bosses? That's kinda lovely if so.
Yes, it does. I think it's a good thing, Isaac's devil deal chance ended up not really being a meaningful skill check and instead a "do you have soul hearts" check because those didn't count as damage.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Does the High Priest even have a fuckin pattern? Pretty sure some bullets were randomly coming out of walls lol, stupid
Yes, of course. It cycles through several different patterns like every other boss. It's pretty tough but I don't think anything in that fight is stupid besides the dark part, and not because it's unfair but rather because it makes you squint at the screen.

I'd prefer something like that one early touhou boss that uses darkness-it doesn't make the whole screen dark, just most of it. Everything dark is totally black and unseeable(so you don't have to squint and make your eyes uncomfortable to make out bullets), and a small circular area around the player is not dark. So you have less time to see bullets coming and must react faster/move carefully.

e:

Broken Cog posted:

He continuously spawns bullets from the walls during the fight, so keep to the middle.
I've not seen this at all in the 4 times I've fought him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The only room I have trouble with Iron Maidens in is the room where there's a bunch of little squares connected to a center rectangle with the maiden in it, and there's a priest in the square just north of the maiden so it's hard to get to while it buffs the maiden.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, I fought it once. The rotating rings of bullets are a bit tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
God, I'm so glad that this game rewards skill the way that it does. After I spend all of the first 3 floors sans bosses using only my starting pistol as the pilot, and perfect Treadnaut again, and take barely any damage throughout chamber 4(and use my bomb item to save ammo), I still end up in this situation:

I am out of ammo on goddamn everything except the worthless Plunger weapon which does like no damage here and puts poison all over the floor. It doesn't loving matter if I get extra heart containers from perfecting bosses if AMMO LITERALLY NEVER DROPS THE ENTIRE RUN

hey gungeon devs if you're gonna have a "coolness" based drop timer how about you put ammo drops on a separate timer from other drops, decreased by how much ammo you are missing*amount of weapons missing ammo. maybe then people could actually use their weapons without inevitably running out because even if you get a bunch of weapons the ammo they start with is not enough to complete the game