Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It took roughly 150 deaths but I finally beat the game once, with the Convict! Yes, I am that bad at this game, but to be fair I did unlock the bullet that can kill the past, most of the Breach crew and two elevator floors already.

Is there any trick to getting the busted TV to the forge, other than "use the Pilot and hope the RNG doesn't gently caress you with one of those Thor hammer rooms or impassable pits between you and boss/chest rooms"? Also, how rare are caped bullet kin? I've yet to see any in five or six runs since I beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

precision posted:

I honestly don't think this is true, I've seen people who can easily and consistently beat the game and they don't use any "tricks" that the game itself doesn't present to you. :shrug:

Agreed, but no one would ever guess that stuff like 'coolness' was a real game mechanic if the wiki didn't mention it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

victrix posted:

First past killed :toot:

This was my first too! It's funny that people say the convict is supposed to be the 'hardest' character to play but her extremely aggressive style is easier to get the hang of, especially when you're starting out.

I've actually killed every past but the Pilot, including the bonus characters. That ship :argh:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Infinity Gaia posted:

The hardest past for me was the Soldier, personally. I had to do it four times before actually clearing it once! For some reason I just couldn't handle the add phase properly combined with the occasional poison floors.

Despite being terrible at the game (I died at least 100 times before my first past kill) I cleared every past on my first try with the exception of the Pilot (three tries, all failed) and the Bullet (got it on the third try). The Convict's is pretty easy but the rest were sheer luck.

Kinda surprised myself trying out EtG today after putting it down nearly a year ago. I got all the way to the Dragun with the Marine and only died because my girlfriend was yelling at me to stop playing that Gungeon thing and get ready for an event:cool:. I also found the secret area in the mine but couldn't work out how to open the weird lock.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Today marks the fourth time I've made it to the Pilot's past and died. The worst part is I can kinda see how easy the pattern should be once you get the rhythm going but without practice I always cave under the pressure :negative: (and for the record I've beat every other past within 1-2 tries)

This was also a run where I got Ser Junkan and the AKEY-47 on the same floor, meaning he never advanced past the 'tiny bag kicking weakly at enemies'. Sorry little guy!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Finally.

Bullet hell awaits, and I never have to use the Rogue Special again...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

If I have any kind of movement speed item ammoconda is baby time because you can outrun him, if I don't I'm definitely getting hit at least twice even if I have some god-tier item or gun

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Me: you know I haven't played Gungeon in like four months and I never did beat the lich. Maybe I should take a crack at it.

*gets sir junkington and the war banner on the first floor, the wolf on the second, and the space turtle on the third*

Oh :stare:

Also got the stuffed star on the third floor and duct tape on the fourth so for the few rooms where I didn't just stand in a corner and let them murder in my name I popped invincibility and shot bee-missile-wand-magic at everything until it melted :toot:. Now all that's left is that goddamn rat.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Did an insane paradox rainbow run where I got blank bullets and the gull ticket straight away, got a clone on level 4, and sleepwalked through the lich. Then I started the run to unlock the gunslinger, somehow avoided getting any insanely broken rainbow picks (I know about his 100% synergy deal but none of the guns I grabbed had any that were too ludicrous) and still managed to get four more master rounds...then died when the double lich was at 30% health or so :negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to clear a blessed run to unlock Gunther. What the hell is this? Who's good, even, the Marine cause keys are worth less?

I did it with the robot, because junk actually gives his damage a little boost so it seemed like a fun way to try it. The money you save on not buying keys can go towards more shields! Presumably you could also steamroll it with the gunslinger but I've yet to unlock him (three times now I've made it to the double lich and gotten wrecked :argh: )

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I considered restarting after getting exit the gungeon to relive the experience in full but I somehow knew I would never have the wherewithal to do stuff like unlock the elevators or the robot or all of the hunting challenges again so I just left it at basically 100% (the only thing I haven't done is kill the Advanced Dragun or punch out the RR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Soldier or Hunter. Hunter's crossbow is the best starting weapon and will help for the first two floors and the dog is useful throughout the game. Soldier has the accuracy and reload speed boost that makes his pistol work better than the rest and helps with all the weapons.

Pilot is the best character all around but has the hardest start. His pistol is garbage and two items/lower prices/more ammo is all great... For the third floor + when you start to really feel the accumulation.

Convict may have the easiest start with a useful item, molotov, and shotgun, but it's all brown tier stuff that really only helps on the first floor. I don't like the convict.

I found Convict to be the best beginner option because her 'do double damage when hit' is a good panic button move that will actually help save you in tighter spots when getting hit still leads to panicking. Her molotov is also marginally useful in the first two floors (and the sewer). She also has the easiest past and getting at least one past killed unlocks a lot of useful things.

My game completion went like this:

Convict
Marine
Hunter
Bullet
Robot

Pilot

...I loving hated the Pilot's past, though after like ten tries something it clicked and became the easiest thing in the world.